Eight Years Old

Not Him

"Appa!"  The tall eight year old ran out from the garage, holding his fishing pole in one hand and putting his cap on with the other.  "I got it!  We can go now right?"

 

The man laughed and placed his hand on his son's cap covered head as if about to ruffle his hair.  "Not yet, kiddo.  We have to wait for one more person."

 

One more person?  Who could be--

 

The front gate squeaked a bit as it opened, revealing a slightly chubby boy with glasses that nearly covered his face.

 

"Not him!"

 

The man immediately knelt by his son's side, gently holding his shoulders so the boy could turn and face his father.  "It wouldn't be very fair if we left him behind, Min.  Now look, I know you don't want him to come with us, but maybe one day...maybe you'll change your mind."

 

The boy, Minho, frowned, not caring that the newcomer was close enough to hear.  "Come on, appa!  Can't we take Kyuhyun hyung? Changmin hyung?  We can even take Kim Kibum or Taeminnie.  Anyone else, appa.  Just...don't take him.  He's not cool!"  The boy's voice was pleading as he had even gone as far as asking for the 'rude' Kibum and the little six year old Taemin.

 

"Choi Minho."  The man's voice held that father tone that was a warning and a scolding all in one.

 

"Uncle...?  I-I don't have to go if he doesn't want.  I can just go home or something."  Came the soft voice from the boy who's head was now down.

 

The man stood, keeping one hand on his son's shoulder.  "Nonsense, Jonghyun-ah.  Minho is just being grumpy.  Are you ready to get going?"

 

Still rather reluctantly, Jonghyun nodded as he glanced at the obviously sulking Minho.

 

The ride felt longer than it was for the two boys, one remaining quiet with the feeling of being unwanted and the other, quiet to show he wasn't happy with his father's choice.

 

Unfortunately, getting to the river was no different and it didn’t change a couple hours later, especially since Jonghyun needed more help.  Minho still refused to speak to Jonghyun, who in his opinion, was strange.  The boy was older, chubby, wore really big glasses, and was a bit clumsy.  So, maybe he wasn't that different, but still…this was supposed to be his time with his dad and yet here that boy was, stealing his dad from him….

 

"Daaaaad! We're still not catching anything!"  Minho whined a little bit, slightly put off that he couldn't show that he was definitely much cooler than Jonghyun by catching a fish first.

 

The man chuckled a bit, reeling in his own line and recasting it.  "This takes time.  You know that, son.  Give it another hour, alright?"  He glanced over at the other small boy, who still remained quiet other than to quietly ask for help.  "What about you, Jonghyun?  How you doing over there?"

 

A small smile was on Jonghyun's lips as he looked over at the man.  "Fine, uncle.  This is kinda fun." 

 

Nearly 10 minutes passed before the man was reeling in his line and going to put his pole down.  "You boys stay right here.  This old man needs a bathroom break."

 

The man had just left when there was a jerk on Jonghyun's line.  "Oh?"  Wide eyes blinked a couple times before another hard jerk was felt.  "Ah!  What's going on?"  He looked around almost panicked, for Minho's father.

 

Having caught Minho's attention, the other boy looked over, big eyes widening further.  "You caught something!  Reel it in! Hurry!"  The excitement of someone finally catching something got to the boy before he could remember he wasn't supposed to be talking to Jonghyun.

 

"What?"  A yelp left the smaller boy's lips as yet another hard jerk was felt.  His eyes were still wide as he rushed to try and reel in his line.  Whatever was on the end of it though, seemed too strong.  "Help! Minho!"

 

Not wanting the lose a catch (even if it wasn't his own) Minho dropped his pole to the ground and rushed over to Jonghyun.  "Here.  You hold it and I'll help you reel it in!" 

 

 

********

 

"Oh my goodness!  Is this what you boys caught?"

 

"Yeah it was awesome, mom!  We were holding it together and it was really, really strong, but--"

 

"Minho helped me and we were reeling it in together and then--"

 

"Then dad came and almost fell down and he helped me and Jonghyun hyung was able to bring it in!"

 

The two boys had been nearly tripping over themselves in excitement over the surprisingly large catch they had managed to bring in together.  While they had managed to catch a few more fish, that one was definitely the biggest. 

 

After dinner, Jonghyun had said his goodbyes and thanks before heading out of the gate to head for home.

 

"Jonghyun hyung!"

 

A polaroid was into the other boy's hands.  "…I guess you are kinda cool…"

 

As Minho ran back into the house, Jonghyun looked down at the picture, the two of them holding their fish and smiling proudly.  A smile spread across his lips, warmth filling the boy's chest. 

 

Minho thought he was cool.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N:  Sorry this took forever!  Lost my idea for it for a while and then things have been killer lately.

I also forgot to mention that the chapters will be short and may or may not be put into one single chapter later on.  It all kinda depends.  Anyways, hope you guys enjoy ^^  Also, the title has been changed from Anyone But Him to just 'Not Him'