Of Busy Schedules, Phone Calls, and Emojis

Of Busy Schedules, Phone Calls, and Emojis

Sleepy. Tired. Drained.

That was what Lu Han felt while riding the train towards the taping site.

He was about to film the music video for his song Promises/advertisement for an Oppo phone.

But instead of concentrating on the upcoming shoot, or the camera recording his every move for a variety show with a tentative date, his thoughts went to him.

Should he contact him? But what if he’s busy? Considering how Lu Han experienced working for his old company, he knew that he would probably swamped with dance practices, recording, promotions, and many more. He did not want to burden him with nonsensical small talk and pathetic little whines.

“…Han? Hey, Lu Han?”

“Huh? What?”

“Wake up. We’re nearing Qing Dao.”

Lu Han took a glance at the window next to him. They were right, they were near their destination. He had to face the camera and talk for a while.

“I am definitely a foodie.”

He talked about food, portions, exercise, and other unimportant things. He hoped his fans would enjoy what he was talking about.

But honestly? He just wanted to talk to him, see him, even for a while. Just like old times.

 


 

Tired, but satisfied.

That was what Lu Han felt after a whole day of shooting.

Fortunately, the director and the staff were kind and accommodating. And Wu Qian was great to work with.

Lu Han had finished filming the whole MV at 3:30 in the morning and got back to the hotel at five. Ending the variety show recording with a final kiss-face. Well, that was his task. Make emoji faces, I can’t wait to tell him. He smiled to himself. He would be good at that.

He took out his phone to try to chat with him when he realized what the time was. He’s probably sleeping. He set his phone aside and proceeded to get to bed.

Before the darkness overtook him, he whispered to no one in particular,

“I miss you, Sehun.”

 


 

Hours turned to days, days turned to weeks, and before he knew it, his Promises MV will be released.

He and Sehun had communicated several times during the past weeks, but never an actual conversation.

Well, unless their short chats on Weibo counted.

He always checked if the other was online on the media. Since him being online meant free time and short breaks, and free time and short breaks meant chats. Even though those chats lasted only for about five minutes.

He suddenly remembered his task during the shooting day. Emoji faces. Right.

Back during that day, he could not wait to tell the younger that task. He did not really know why. Ironically, it was already November and he still had not mentioned it to him.

He tried calling him, again. Luckily, the other picked up, “Hello?

“Hey, Sehun. It’s Lu Han.”

Oh! Hi, hyung! How are

Hey! Sehun, get back here!” Lu Han heard Junmyeon shout.

Wait for a minute, hyung!Lu Han heard Sehun say. “Sorry about that, hyung. Anyway, how have you been?

“I’m fine. Are you busy right now?”

Uhmmm. Kind of?

“Sehun…”

Fine. Yes, hyung, we’re busy right now. We’re having our rehearsal for the concert tomorrow.”

“Oh. I’ll just… Let’s talk later, then.” Call me, text me, message me on our chat. Anything.

Are you sure?

“Yeah. Take care, okay? Don’t tire yourself.”

Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. And take care of yourself, too.”

“Bye.”

Bye.

I love you.

 


 

Riiiiiiiinngg.

Lu Han picked up the phone. “Hello?”

HI, hyung!

Lu Han smiled. He knew that voice. “Hi, Hun!”

I finally have free time! Whoo!

EXO had just finished their concert in Macau and are currently working for the finalization of their Christmas album. Of course, they were still absolutely busy but that did not mean that they can’t make phone calls.

“Good for you. I’m on break too.” Lu Han told him.

So, hyung, you were talking about something the last time we had a chat? Something about emojis? You were saying?

“Oh, yeah. About that. Remember when I was shooting for ‘Promises’? I –”

Yeah! I watched that video!

“– had this task of some sort where you had to do emoji faces. I felt really stupid, seriously.”

I bet you looked cute.

“Hey! I’m manly!” He heard laughter on the other line, “Hey! Sehun!”

Sorry, hyung. Couldn’t resist.

“Psssshh… Shut up you…”

 


 

Sehun sat in front of the vanity, waiting for his turn while the stylist was still busy with the others.

He was really bored.

And his boredom just made him miss Lu Han more.

It reminded him how the one person he was always stuck to was now miles away from him, how things weren't the way they were before.

He sighed. Cheer up, Hun! Lu Han wouldn't want you to be sad.

He leaned against the chair's backrest and contemplated. How do you fight against boredom?

"I had this task of some sort where you had to do emoji faces. I felt really stupid, seriously."

Easy. Make silly, stupid emoji faces.

He grabbed his phone and proceeded to record himself making faces. After he was done, he posted the video on his Instagram account.

The stylist came and started doing his hair. Finally, it was his turn.

He watched his video again. But instead of seeing himself, he saw Lu Han.

And it made him long for him more.

I miss you, Lu Han.

I love you.