Chapter Three

Fingertips

Seulgi watches as Wheein’s car disappears. She doesn’t really mind the middle finger and wears an amused smile all throughout her meal. Alwaxys on the edge, never in between. The one to successfully travel ten different countries in a year and a half, only to be broke as hell when she came back. And so it surprises her that she remains loyal to Vernon.

 

Being the older, she has remained an adviser to Wheein. The one to calm her down when she crosses the line. 

 

Phoenixes aren’t meant to be in cages, she thinks as she takes the last gulp of her coke.

 

She sends a quick text to Wheein to thank her for the meal and stands up to walk to the neighboring building.

 

Greetings were exchanged between her and the receptionist and the familiar faces she sees in the hallways. Most of them she barely remembers but it doesn’t mean she will be rude. After all, her father did own the company.

 

“Good day, miss,” Kim Yerim, her assistant, greets her. Seulgi smiles as Yerim follows her inside her office.  

 

“So I heard Yongsun is on her way to see Kibum?” She inquires, raising a curious brow.

 

Yerim smiles and presents a folder to her boss once she is seated, nodding. “Yes, it seems so. And forgive me for saying, miss...but you should really think of prioritizing our major clients instead of friends. A Chinese socialite was supposed to book Kibum that day.” 

 

With a bright smile, she opens the folder and scans through the papers, signing it swiftly. “Don’t worry. It will be one of the biggest weddings of the year. We’ll get good publicity.” 

 

“Yes, that is quite true…” the younger allows. She briefs Seulgi about her schedule for the day, making sure to catch her boss’ attention. Seulgi’s attention span matched her best friend Wheein’s. Aka it was non-existent.

 

“Say, Yerim.”

 

Sunyoung stops. It’s the fifth time Seulgi has tried to interrupt her. “Yes, miss?”

 

“Can you help me out with something?” She asks, standing up and taking the other girl’s hand in hers. “It’s very important.”

 

“I-I…” Looking at her boss, she could only nod. She didn’t want to risk getting fired for being disobedient. Rich people like Kang Seulgi could do anything they want. 

 

Seulgi smiles. And it makes her feel shy. “Help me find out who Wheein kissed.”

 

“Wha--!” Frowning, she takes her hand back from Seulgi. What kind of task was that? She's never heard ofa more absurd request.

 

“It’s for my best friend’s future marriage! I need to find out who it is that snuck her way inside Wheein’s heart!” 

 

“I am aware of that, miss,” Yerim says in between gritted teeth. “But you have appointments today. One of them being with you mother and--”

 

“I’ll attend and pay attention. You just need to go to the hotel we stayed at that night and ask around.”

 

“Miss,” Yerim sighs, exasperated. “They could have gone anywhere in the hotel’s vicinity. Do you really want me to scour the whole neighborhood just for information like this?”

 

“Come on! I’ll let you have a two week vacation!” Seulgi pleads, hugging the younger girl’s arm. If they were to be seen, they will definitely be judged.

 

Yerim peels Seulgi’s fingers off of her arm. “You’ll just cause ruckus in the office if I’m not here so no.”

 

In response to Yerim’s words, Seulgi crosses her arms. “I’m not going to go to any of my meetings today.”

 

“That...is beyond my control, miss. If you are to fire me--”

 

“I’ll tell everyone about the Tequila Night.”

 

Yerim’s eyes widen and Seulgi shoots her secretary a smile full of mischief.

 

She will not, Yerim thinks. But she knows that glint far too well. 

 

“O….kay,” she complies reluctantly. “But on one condition: do your duty.”

 

“Oh, I will.”

 

---

 

Yongsun takes a deep breath as she parks. She is stuck between a Range Rover and a Land Cruiser, all sparkly and clean from a recent trip to the car wash. What an addition to her morning. 

 

She presents herself to the receptionist and she is led to where Kibum is waiting. Apparently he is waiting by the restaurant, having not eaten anything in four hours. What Yongsun likes about Kibum is his dedication to his work and his clients. No wonder he is so in demand.

 

She could dress herself a bit better today, she thinks. But to make herself look a little more pleasing to the eye, she excuses herself to the bathroom and puts her hair down, soft and silky to touch. She also puts on a fresh lip and eyeliner. Then she’s set and just as she is about to exit the bathroom, she stumbles on someone.

 

“Seulgi?” she says, stopping her tracks.

 

Her friend stops in her tracks as well, just about to rush inside one of the cubicles. “Oh, unnie!” she greets her, hugging her tightly. “I heard you were meeting with Kibum today!"

 

She couldn’t help but laugh. They have not seen each other since her party at the hotel. “Yup, we’re having lunch together. Want to join us?”

 

Seulgi’s eyes sparkle at her request. “Should I? I only ate pasta earlier.”

 

Laughing, she nods. “Yes, you should. Finish up your business. I’ll wait for you outside.”

 

Yongsun waits outside of the bathroom for her friend, noticing that she is taking her time. But she doesn’t mind. She has always been patient. When Seulgi walks out of the bathroom, they walk with linked arms to Kibum’s table.

 

“I wasn’t aware that my boss will be here too,” he says, standing up to greet the two girls.

 

They all sit down at the same time and Kibum gestures a waiter over with the menu. “I decided to invite her since I saw her in the women’s bathroom,” Yongsun says, handing her friend the other menu. “I hope you don’t mind.”

 

“Oh, I don’t,” he replies coolly with a smile. “I rarely spend time with two lovely ladies.”

 

“Yah, oppa, you shouldn’t be flirting with engaged women!” Seulgi chides after she orders. 

 

Yongsun laughs as she scans the menu, settling for samgyetang. It was quite hot outside. So hot that she has to kick her AC up a notch. Summer time. Perfect time to order the dish.

 

As they dine, Yongsun watches as Kibum and Seulgi exchange friendly banter. Apparently they have met each other a long time ago. Way back when they were still in college. Though they still hate each other’s guts.

 

“Anyways, before we stray completely far off what we have to talk about,” Kibum starts, turning his attention to Yongsun. “We have to discuss a few important things. We should move to my office where it’s quiet.”

 

“I agree,” Yongsun says with a smile, glancing at Seulgi.

 

She raises both of her hands up, standing up and ready to leave. “I know when I’m not wanted,” she says, smiling at Yongsun. “Can you stop by my office before you leave, though?”

 

Her brows furrow. She has an appointment with Hyunwoo after this. “I can’t be here long. I have to see Hyunwoo,” she replies.

 

“I promise it won’t take long.” Seulgi clasps both of her hands together, pleading. “Please?”

 

“Hmm… Alright,” Yongsin yields, also standing up. “I’ll see you then?”

 

With a clear yes from her friend, Seulgi wraps her arms around Yongsun and glares at Kibum before rushing out of the restaurant.

 

“She’s crazy,” Yongsun says, laughing. 

 

“Totally,” Kibum agrees, laughing alongside her. They walk casually outside of the restaurant after paying, watching as Seulgi waves at them before she enters the elevator. “I can’t believe someone as demure as you would be friends with that nutjob.”

 

All she could do is shrug. “I seem to attract those kind of people.”

 

--

 

After a few hours of talking and going over pictures and mood boards that Kibum made, Yongsun walks out of Kibum’s office with a large smile. The wedding will look great, she thinks. Her mother would be pleased to know this. At least she will be saved from her nagging. 

 

About to walk to the elevator, she hears her phone vibrate. The phone has been vibrating since earlier and there can only be one person who sends her this many text and missed calls.

 

“Yes, Seulgi. I’m on my way to your office,” she says when she answers her phone. Before Seulgi could say anything, she drops the call and asks Yerim to accompany her to her boss’ office.

 

Seulgi is there, sitting in her office chair. Her face looks almost as if it was ready to be in by the laptop due to her concentration. Yongsun suppresses a smile. It is rare to see her so focused and not all over the place.

 

“Miss, you have a guest,” Yerim announces.

 

Looking up from her screen, she pushes her glasses higher up the bridge of her nose and greets Yongsun with an excited smile. “Thank you, Yerim!” She says, in high spirits suddenly.

 

Yongsun makes herself comfortable in the chair, placing her bag on her lap. She sits with her back straight, eye on her friend that was sitting behind the table. Whatever it is that she has to say must be important for her to beg Yongsun for it. She has at least thirty minutes to chat and another thirty to sneak past traffic in order to make it on time to meet Hyunwoo. Although she already texted him earlier, she still wants to be early and not let him wait long.

 

“So what is it that you want to talk about?” She asks, looking at the other curiously.

 

“Well, I was wondering if you could help me with something.” Seulgi sets her laptop to the side and leans closer. “It’s just that...ever since last week I haven’t been able to really speak to Joohyun…”

 

Oh boy, Yongsun thinks, blinking at Seulgi.

 

“Okay… She’s been flying all over the place for shoots. It’s a miracle we get to FaceTime on occasion,” Yongsun says, tilting her head. “Is she perhaps...ignoring you?”

 

“Well… I haven’t really made an effort to talk to her other than when we all gathered. So…”

 

“Ah…” Yongsun frowns, looking at her friend sympathetically. Seulgi was bad at focusing on one thing. “Why don’t you… I don’t know… Text or call her?”

 

Seulgi laughs. “She’s not answering. I tried while you were having you're meeting... We were supposed to watch Warcraft together... So that was why I thought you can help me find her.”

 

Smiling, she nods, standing up already. “If that’s what you need help with, I’ll try my best? Though I can't guarantee anything.”

 

Seulgi smiles as well, her eyes disappearing into crescents, relieved. Yongsun thinks that she looks like a twelve-year-old who just got promised by their mother that they’ll buy their favorite toy. “Just text me. Thanks again.”

 

“You’re welcome. Now I’m off to meet my fiance,” Yongsun announces, leaning over to ruffle her friend’s hair. “Be good to Yerim ssi, okay?”

 

“I am always good to her!” Seulgi exclaimed.. 

 

Yongsun escorts herself out of Seulgi’s office, laughing. She is about to run to the elevator -- in heels, mind you -- when Yerim stops her.

 

“Uhm Miss Kim?” Yeri calls out, making Yongsun stop in her tracks. “Can I ask something?”

 

Yongsun stops just outside the door and walks back a few steps. Yerim was right behind her, smiling politely. “Yes? What can I do for you?”

 

It seems like people were making a habit of asking her for favors. Not that she minds it.

 

“Do you know why the miss is making me go back to the hotel you and your friends partied at a few days ago?” She inquires “I could ask her myself but she will not say anything. She usually explains why she wants me to go on certain errands beforehand.” Yerim looks at her with genuine curiosity. “She says it’s for a...friend. I needed to find a girl, she said. A girl that her friend was with the whole night.”

 

Yongsun furrows her brows. Everyone was pretty much drunk and tired that night. She is certain none of them went out of the hotel room other than her. “I’m sorry Yerim ssi...I’m not quite sure either. Perhaps you can find out after you do it?”

 

“Ah…” Yerim smiles politely. “I suppose I will. Thank you again.”

 

“You’re welcome!” She says, waving at her before she runs to the elevator. She will be late. She could feel it.

 

Once she hops inside her car, she makes sure to carefully squeeze the both of them out of the parking slot. After that, Yongsun drives anxiously. She sends Hyunwoo a text when the stoplight turns red and apologizes profusely.

 

She makes it to Hyunwoo’s floor a good an hour and a half late. She makes a quick stop to the bathroom to freshen up and walks to where his office is located.

 

Greeted by Minhyuk, his secretary, with a smooth, “He’s been waiting.”, he opens the door for Yongsun.

 

Hyunwoo has his back to her, facing the window that shows a view of the Seoul cityscape. It is evening now and the lights flicker from a great distance.

 

When he turns, she is greeted with a kind smile. A patient one. He is wearing an all navy blue attire with a stark white tie. It makes his skin tanner than usual. 

 

She walks to him and stops just a few inches away from him. Looking down, she fiddles with her fingers, feeling like she is back in middle school and is late for class. 

 

“I’m sorry… Seulgi wanted--”

 

“I know,” Hyungwoo says gently, ruffling her hair. “You already told me through text.”

 

Yongsun nods, flushing a bright pink. “Okay.”

 

“I just want to take my fiance out for dinner. I reckon your lunch with Kibum was hours ago?” Hyunwoo inquires, walking to his desk to pick up his suitcase and shut down his laptop.

 

“Yes,” Yongsun confirms. “I’m a little famished.”

 

Hyunwoo smiles again, his eyes twinkling. He always has that childish quality to him that makes Yongsun less intimidated. “Alright. I made another reservation in case you were late today. Let’s go there.”

 

Nodding, she watches as Hyunwoo approaches her again, planting a soft kiss on her forehead and interlacing their fingers together. “I missed you.”

 

“I missed you too, Hyunwoo ssi,” she replies, squeezing his hand. “Let’s catch up.”

 

“Shall we?” He asks and tugs her gently after him.

 

As Yongsun watched his back, all hiard muscle and broad shoulders, she could see a brown hair and a dimpled smile looking back at her.

 

---

 

A/N: Are you guys okay with long updates? ;w; I've been writing this for the past two to three days now and I finally got to share it with you guys! The plot is slowly opening up and introducing the lives the main characters have outside of that club and the hotel room they all stayed at. I'm excited to write the interaction between Yongsun and Hyunwoo the most. As well as Vernon and Wheein's!

Maybe we'll figure out what Wheein is feeling about her engagement with Vernon in the next chapter [eye emojis]

Oh and I hope you guys don't mind that I put a side character's POV in here? Seulgi and Yerim are both gonna play a substantial role in WheeSun's lovelife so ;w;

Anyways! I hope you guys are having an a okay/fantastic day. 

Author out!