~4~

You Make Me Say Mansae!

A/N Woop! I'm back! I've moved westwards into the mountains and have found INSPIRATION!! This chapter is a little emotional sooooo... TT^TT

When Jiyeon missed her alarm, spilled her cereal, misplaced her English textbook, and fell down the stairs, she should have taken it as a sign to just stay home. It was snowing heavily when she got to the crosswalk across from her school. She was antsy to get inside and warm up but the light was taking too long to change. It finally changed and Jiyeon happily started across the street.

“JIYEON!” She around at the sound of her name, only to see a car flying towards her. She tried to get out of the way but was too slow, the impact sending her flying at least fifty feet.

Seungcheol and Jeonghan had been behind her before the accident. They were deep in conversation, not noticing anyone around them. Jeonghan just happened to spot Jiyeon, then the car hurtling towards her. He called her name but it was too late.

Seungcheol dropped everything and ran for the girl. She looked terrible. Scrapes all over her body, uniform ripped and bloody, and a terrible gash on her head. He dropped to his knees and pressed his scarf to her head to try and stop the bleeding.

“Somebody call an ambulance! Please! Someone!” He cried in desperation, unable to look away from Jiyeon’s limp body.

Jeonghan stood horrified behind Seungcheol, unmoving. He had been too late. He didn’t see her in time. If he had he could have prevented this. But he didn't. Turning away, he tried to hold back tears.

Around them people were gathering, trying to see what had happened. There were gasps and murmuring, as the driver of the car stood by freaking out. The ambulance arrived, the EMTs pushing their way through the crowd as quickly as they could. They had to tear Seungcheol away from Jiyeon so they could tend to her. He put up some resistance before Jeonghan pulled him away. He watched as they rushed to stabilize her and ran after them when they took Jiyeon to the ambulance.

Word spread about the school fast. Everyone in every class was talking about it.

“Did you see who it was?” A boy asked his friend.

“No.” His friend shook his head. “I was already in the gates.”

“I heard it was Han Jiyeon, the new girl in our class.” A girl told them. Wonwoo looked up from his notebook. It was Jiyeon who was hit? He heard about the accident but he didn’t know it could've been Jiyeon.

“Oh my God!” Another girl sniffled. “She’s so nice! How could this happen to her?” Wonwoo was about to pull out his phone when he heard his name called. He looked up to see Jeonghan motioning for him to meet him.

“It...it…” Jeonghan started, unsure of how to break the news to his friend. He took a deep breath. “It was Jiyeon who got hit by the car this morning.” He paused to gauge Wonwoo’s reaction.

Wonwoo was speechless. How could this have happened? Jiyeon was always so careful. It definitely wasn't her fault. It couldn't have been.

“Where is she?” Wonwoo asked quietly. Jeonghan shook his head and looked away. “WHERE IS SHE?!” Jeonghan jumped at the volume of his normally quiet friend’s voice.

“S-s-severance Hospital. Seungcheol is with her.” Wonwoo his heel and took off.

****

Seungcheol paced back and forth in the ER waiting room, covered in Jiyeon’s blood. People were eyeing him but he didn't notice. All he was thinking about was Jiyeon in the operating room fighting for her life. He was trying hard to not cry. It wasn’t manly to cry, even though Jiyeon had told him otherwise on one of her breaks from work. It felt futile to even hope that she would be ok. He had been there. He saw all the blood. He saw how hard she was hit. He saw her body fly all those feet. He saw it all and everything felt hopeless. His emotions were a mix of sadness, anger, and desperation. Was there anything he could have done? No. He did all he could didn’t he? He didn’t see her in time. Did he do enough to help her? He tried to stop the blood and stabilize her until the EMTs got there. Did it help? He hoped it did.

“Hyung!” Seungcheol turned to see Wonwoo jogging up to him. “How is Jiyeon? Did you hear anything yet? How bad was it?” Seungcheol shook his head.

“No. I haven’t heard anything.” He replied sadly. “And it was really bad. There was so much blood.” Wonwoo’s eyes widened at the sight of his red stained uniform, the knowledge that it was all Jiyeon’s blood making his head spin. Filled with anxiety for his friend, he didn’t even want to think about what would happen if she died. He didn’t know how he would go about dealing with the loss. Sighing, he went to look for a seat. He couldn’t stand anymore.

****

Jeonghan arrived later in the day to give Seungcheol a change of clothes and to check up on both him and Wonwoo, hopefully get them to eat as well. Both of the boys looked pale and comatose, which was most definitely the reason neither of them had picked up their phones.

“You should call Mingyu.” Jeonghan suggested to Wonwoo. “He’s worried about you.” Wonwoo looked up at Jeonghan blankly.

“Worried… about me…?” Jeonghan nodded. “He’s worried about me when Jiyeon might die?” Jeonghan sighed and put his hand on Wonwoo’s shoulder.

“He’s your best friend, Wonwoo. You need to call him.” Wonwoo looked down at his phone. 15 missed calls from Kim Mingyu. He chewed his lip for a bit before deciding to call him.

“HYUNG! ARE YOU OKAY?!” Wonwoo had to hold the phone away from his ear Mingyu’s voice was so loud. “You didn’t pick up your phone and I called so many times! Did you hear anything about Yeonnie noona yet? Is she ok? How’s Seungcheol hyung? What-”

“Mingyu!” Wonwoo interrupted. “I’m fine.” He paused. “I haven’t heard anything and hyung is pacing around. He just changed.” There was silence for a moment.

“Oh...” Mingyu sounded more upset than he did earlier. “Everyone’s worried too. We really like Jiyeon noona and don’t want her to die. It would be so hard. Everyone in school knows. Channie cried. Soonyoung hyung did too.” he paused again. “Jisoo hyung says to think positively. I guess that’s all we can do right now…. I guess.” Wonwoo didn’t answer. “Call as soon as you hear anything, ok, hyung? And try to eat something...Bye…”

Wonwoo hung up and stared into space. How was he supposed to think positively? Jiyeon was strong, right? She could make it. Couldn’t she? He sighed and put his face in his hands.

It was about 2 in the afternoon, about 6 hours since Jiyeon went into surgery, when the surgeon came out.

“Who’s here with Miss Han Jiyeon?” Seungcheol walked over to the surgeon, looking desperate for news but nervous as to what they were.

“She made it.” The surgeon said simply. Unable to control himself, Seungcheol collapsed to the floor and sighed in relief. “You did well getting her here.” Seungcheol put his face in his hands and willed himself not to cry. When Jeonghan noticed Seungcheol on the floor, he rushed over to him.

“What happened? Jiyeon… did she…?” Seungcheol shook his head.

“She’s alive.” He mumbled.

“What?” Jeonghan leaned in closer.

“She’s alive.” Seungcheol repeated a little louder.  Jeonghan smiled, pulled Seungcheol up and brought him over to where Wonwoo was.

“She’s alive.” Jeonghan told him. Wonwoo’s eyes widened then he sat back in relief. Jeonghan patted his shoulder and went outside to call the rest of his friends.

****

Wonwoo visited Jiyeon in the hospital everyday since the accident. Everytime he went, he hoped she would have woken up but for about a week and a half, she lay motionless in her hospital bed. Many people brought gifts; flowers, candy, balloons, stuffed animals, things like that. Jiyeon’s parents had arrived soon after she was out of the operating room. Her mother had cried uncontrollably while her father tried to calm his hysterical wife. Seungcheol visited when he could but was often caught up with basketball. Jihoon made sure to take good notes for Jiyeon when she returned. Jeonghan went by often to change the water in the vases and Soonyoung would go and talk to her about anything. He thought she would wake up if he talked to her.

Half way through Jiyeon’s second week in the hospital, Wonwoo was doing his homework when he heard a groan. He turned to see Jiyeon blinking and looking around.

“Jiyeon!” He rushed to her bedside. “Are you awake?” She opened her eyes a little more.

“Wonwoo? Jeon Wonwoo?” she croaked, “Is that you?” He smiled widely.

“Yes. It’s me. I’m here.”

“Why are you here?” She tried to push herself up but hissed in pain. Wonwoo frantically searched for the call button. Once he pressed it, a nurse rushed in.

“Miss Jiyeon! I’m so glad you’re finally awake! I’m going to call a doctor and we’ll take you for a few tests, ok?” Jiyeon nodded as she was adjusted into a sitting position. The nurse smiled and left to find a doctor.

There was a slightly awkward pause before Jiyeon spoke up.

“How long was I unconscious for?” Wonwoo scratched the back of his head and looked away.

“About a week and a half. It was a pretty bad accident.” Jiyeon nodded and chewed her lip. “Do you remember the accident?”

“All I remember is the pain.” She shivered. “So much pain. I never thought I could hurt so much.” Jiyeon eyed her broken arm and leg. She tried to make a face but it hurt too much due to the various scrapes and bruises.

“You did break your arm and leg and a few ribs. One punctured your lung. You also have a nasty gash on your forehead” Wonwoo resisted tracing over the stitches with his finger. “You’re lucky to be alive. Seungcheol hyung got to you first. He was behind you.” Jiyeon looked up at him.

“He was?” She smiled a little when he nodded. “I’m glad he was.” She paused. “Are you ok?”

“I’m ok now that you're awake.” Jiyeon smiled and reached out and touched his hand.

“Thank you for being here.” She paused then jolted up right causing pain to shoot through her ribs. “School! What do I do about school?! Oh my God I must be so behind! What am I going to do? I’m here and I've missed a week and a half of classes and I-“

“Jiyeon.” Wonwoo held her face in his hands. “You’re in the hospital. It’s ok to miss. Jihoon has been taking notes for you. Don’t worry.” Jiyeon nodded and sat back.

“That’s a relief. I should probably get them as soon as I can so I can start studying.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes. Of course she was worried about school.

****

Seungcheol came by the next day. He had hoped she had woken up but it didn’t seem that she did. Sighing, he sat down and studied her face. The pale skin was marred with scrapes and bruises that looked like they had begun to heal but still were rather nasty. Her lips were chapped and pale. It worried him but truthfully, but he was just happy she was alive. He’d wait as long as he had to just to see her open her eyes.

“I miss you.” he whispered, still watching her. “So does everyone at the café and school. No one’s Americanos are as good as yours. They always put in too much syrup.” He sighed before he continued. “I’m distracted during basketball. Coach benched me for last week’s game since I haven’t been playing too well since you had your accident. I guess I play my best when you're around.” He held her hand. “Come back soon.” He kissed her hand and moved to leave.

“Seungcheol sunbae?” He spun around to see Jiyeon squinting up at him. “Did you come to see me?”

“Yeah I did.” He scratched the back of his neck. Did she hear what he said? Did he feel him kiss her hand?

“Sorry I didn’t wake up earlier. I was forced to take a nap.” She pressed the button for the nurse. The nurse rushed in, adjusted the bed, poured Jiyeon a cup of water, before checking her vitals then leaving, smiling at Seungcheol on her way out.

“When did you wake up?” Seungcheol asked, sitting down in the chair next to her.

“Just now.” She smiled.

“For the first time.” He chuckled

“Yesterday afternoon. Wonwoo was visiting. Then my parents came by.” Seungcheol frowned. He had wanted to be the first one to be there when she woke up, but he had basketball practice. Damn. “I hope I didn’t worry you too much.” She mumbled.

“You worried me so much.” He responded truthfully. “I was so afraid you were going to die.” She looked down at the cast on her left arm.

“It must have been scary for you huh?” he nodded. “I’m sorry.”

“I don’t care about being scared. I'm just glad you're alive.” He gave her a huge smile. “Maybe now I’ll play better. I’ve been a little preoccupied. ” Jiyeon’s eyes widened.

“Sunbae! You haven’t been playing well? You were that worried? You haven’t gotten hurt from being distracted, have you?!” She grabbed his hand and began looking for bruises. “You have to be more careful sunbae! You don’t want to get a concussion!” Seungcheol laughed. “Sunbae! I’m serious!” Jiyeon pouted and tried to cross her arms but then whimpered at the shooting pain through her body.

“Don’t move too much Jiyeon. I’m fine.” Jiyeon sat back and eyed him.

“I’m going to believe you… for now.”

****

Jiyeon started walking a week after she woke up. Her leg was in a walking cast and her ribs had healed. Her arm was almost back to normal and the gash on her forehead was healing nicely, although she would have a scar. A few days after that, she was given the ok to go back to school.

“Jiyeon!” Her homeroom teacher smiled widely when Jiyeon came slowly limping through the door. “I’m glad to see you again!” Jiyeon was happy to be back. She was bored in the hospital; despite the notes Jihoon had brought her weeks earlier. They had studied together for an hour everyday and she felt she was pretty caught up but wasn’t 100% sure. She sat down in her seat and took out her books.

“I’m glad your back.” Wonwoo whispered from behind her. She smiled a little and got to work paying attention.

****

“OH JIYEONNIE I WAS SO WORRIED!” Soonyoung cried, kneeling next to her, holding onto her arm. “I thought you were going to die! I don’t know what I would do if you died!” Jiyeon laughed and patted his head.

“I’m fine now Hosh.”

“BUT YOUR LEG!!!” He sniffled, gripping her arm tighter. “And your arm, and head, and face, and ribs, and- oh you looked so terrible!” Soonyoung released her arm and stood up. “Promise to be more careful when you’re crossing the street, ok?!” He held out his pinky. “Promise me!” Jiyeon linked her’s with his.

“I promise!”

****

Jiyeon couldn’t remember the last time she had felt so sad, angry, and betrayed. Slept alone. Not even leaving France had felt this terrible. Her parents were going on a mission trip to Honduras and were leaving her at home. She didn't want to be alone. She wanted to be with someone on Christmas. It was too sad to be alone during the holidays but she did have anywhere to go nor had anyone asked if she needed a place to go.

“So you’re going to be alone for the for the holidays Yeonnie?” Soonyoung asked from behind her as he pushed her on the swing on the playground near her house while they waited for the rest of the boys to show up.

“Yeah.” She sighed, closing her eyes and taking in the cold temperature of the day.

“Awww.” Soonyoung whined “If i could I would invite you to come with me but my family but it’s too big for another person. I’m really sorry Yeonnie.” He pouted as he continued to push her.

“It’s ok Soon. I wasn’t expecting you or anyone else to take me.”

“Take you where?” They both looked up to see a bundled up Seungcheol strolling over to them.

“Yeonnie doesn’t have anywhere to go for the holidays hyung!” Soonyoung wailed, stopping Jiyeon’s swing and hugging her tightly from behind. “She’s gonna be all alone!!” He held onto his friend tighter and sniffled.

“It’s ok Soonie. Really.” She patted his hand.

Seungcheol searched Jiyeon’s face for her true feelings. It was obvious to him by the way she couldn’t look him in the eye and kept her head down with a fake smile on her face that she was not ok.

“Is that true Jiyeon?” He enquirer, putting his on her head with the intention of tilting it back to look at her in the eyes.”Is it really ok? Don't lie to me.” Jiyeon gnawed on her lip and tried to move head. Seungcheol’s frown deepened “Jiyeon please. Tell me the truth.” he relocated his hand to her cold cheeks to force her to look him and make sure she could not move her head. Jiyeon sniffled a little and tried to blink back tears.

“Yeah. It’s true.” She admitted quietly. “I’m gonna be alone for the holidays.” When she finally made eye contact, he was surprised to see the usually strong Jiyeon’s eyes filled with tears. Unable to control himself, he tugged her out of Soonyoung’s arm and into his own.

“I’m so sorry Jiyeon.” He said quietly, holding onto her tighter. Jiyeon sniffed and buried her face into his jacket, holding onto it tightly.

“I’m gonna be  all alone sunbae.” She whimpered. “All by myself for three weeks. Alone. Here in the apartment. All by myself.” She quietly responded, trying to get her tears under control. Seungcheol thought for a moment and basically said ‘ it’. He had to do this so he could make 100% Jiyeon would be ok.

“You can come with me to Daegu and spend the holidays with my family.” Jiyeon looked at him in shock.

“But sunbae I-“

“Jiyeon please.” He interrupted and held her face again. “I can't let you to stay here alone and sad when you could be happier with my family and not be alone.”

“Are you sure sunbae?” She blinked at him still quite shocked.

“More than I’ve been sure of anything in my life.” Seungcheol assured her.

“And don't worry about hyung’s parents.” Soonyoung piped up from behind them. “They will be so happy to have you! They love all of Seungcheol hyung’s friends!” Jiyeon cheered up and nodded.

“Ok. I’ll go with you.”

A/N Stupid thing wont let me unbold it.