~3~

You Make Me Say Mansae!

It was a rather cold Tuesday. The wind was icy and blew hard every once in a while making it feel at least 10 degrees colder. The girls had all begun to wear tights and everyone had sweaters on under their blazers. The heating had been , hoping to make the school more comfortable for the students and teachers.

Where Wonwoo and Jiyeon sat by the windows, it was definitely colder than the rest of the classroom. Jiyeon always wore a long-sleeved t-shirt under her button-down and at least two pairs of socks over her tights. It was warmer that way.

It hadn’t snowed yet and Jiyeon was waiting for it. It was a lot of fun to walk Mickey in the snow. He got really excited and was fun to play with. They rolled around in the snow, not caring about the cold. It was followed up by a bath and cuddling on the couch. Mickey was so big and fluffy and warm. It was also going to be basketball season. She loved basketball. She and her sister loved going to games or just watching them on TV.

Seungcheol was ready for the winter. Basketball was starting and he was excited to play again. He wanted to get a lot better because this year Jiyeon would be watching. Jeonghan and Mingyu were on the team with him, giving him time with his friends doing what they loved.

Wonwoo, on the other hand, did not like winter. It was too cold. Too wet. Too dangerous. All he liked to do was go to the library, the museum, or just stay at home. He just liked to stay home and watch the snowfall with a cup of hot chocolate. It was perfect for writing. Maybe this winter Jiyeon would sit with him.

“I can’t stand this!” Jiyeon threw hands in the air before collapsing on to her desk.

“Can’t stand what Yeonnie?” Hoshi asked, patting her head.

“The cold. Exams. The cold.”

“You said the cold twice.” Jun chuckled. Jiyeon sat up and tried to hit him but he dodged before she could make contact.

“Shut up Jun. I just hate the cold ok?” She groaned and collapsed back onto her desktop.

“HEY!” Jiyeon jolted at the volume of Hoshi’s voice. “Hang out with us this weekend! Like after work.”

“Who is us?” she tilted her head and looked up at him.

“You know. Us. Like me, Jun, Wonwoo, Seungcheol hyung, Channie. You know! My other friends!” Jiyeon looked at him strangely.

“To do what?” She was a little skeptical. She knew he had the best intentions, but hanging out with a bunch of guy sent up some warning signs.

“We watch movies on Saturday night and eat a whole bunch of food! It’s so much fun.” Hoshi turned to Wonwoo. “You wouldn’t mind if Yeonnie came to movie night would you? I know Seungcheol hyung wouldn’t.” Wonwoo shook his head.

“Of course I wouldn’t.”

“Then it’s set! Someone will come get you from work! Pack pjs! We all wear pjs!” Hoshi smiled widely before going off on a tangent, talking about new choreography he had come up with. Jiyeon shrugged. This might be fun. Who knows.

Seungcheol was excited when he heard that Jiyeon was joining them for movie night. He had asked Jeonghan a hundred times if he had heard right. Jeonghan got fed up with him asking and yelled at him. Seungcheol was taken aback but shrugged and turned to talk to Joshua about the movie they were going to watch. Jeonghan smiled. It was the first time he had seen his friend get so excited about a girl. Sure, Seungcheol had dated in the past but he didn’t seem as interested as he was with Jiyeon. He heard Seungcheol ask Joshua what movie Jiyeon would like for the hundredth time and rolled his eyes. Yeah. His friend was obsessed.

***

Jiyeon stood in the middle of her bedroom wondering what to take with her. She had taken that Saturday off so she could bake for the boys and now, while the cookies were in the oven, she was trying to figure out which pajamas to bring. She had packed her phone charger, a face mask (you never know), some fuzzy socks, a hairbrush, and a toothbrush. If it got too late, she might ask whoever’s house she was at if she could stay the night. She had gotten permission from her parents. Actually, they were the ones who had told her to do it. Now she was torn between her Totoro onesie and her cupcake pajama set. Both were warm and fuzzy. She finally decided on the cupcake set. Folding it and putting it in her bag, she left her room to check on her cookies.

Wonwoo stood outside of Jiyeon’s apartment building, waiting. He had called her and she said she’d be right down, but 20 minutes later and she still hadn’t come out.

“I’m sorry!!” Jiyeon came running out of the building with 2 large Tupperware in her hands and a black backpack on her back. “I had a last batch of cookies to bake and then I couldn’t find a big enough container for all the cookies!” She held out the Tupperware stack. “I wasn’t sure what to make so I made chocolate chip and snickerdoodles!” Wonwoo smiled at her excitement. She seemed so happy to have made cookies. He was happy she did. Her cookies were the best.

“Jiyeonnie!!” Soonyoung bounced over when Wonwoo and Jiyeon walked through the door. She smiled and held out her cookie boxes. “You made cookies! Yes! Guys! Yeonnie made cookies!” The three of them walked into the living room to find 10 boys spread about the room. They all looked up with a chorus of greetings. Everyone was in their pajamas and there was food everywhere. “Go change into your pajamas then comeback! You can change in that room over there!” He pointed at a door. Jiyeon nodded and went to go change.

The room was painted blue and had posters of basketball players on the walls. She looked around. The room was pretty neat even though the bed wasn’t made and there was lots of paper piled on the desk. After some searching, she found out that it was actually Seungcheol’s room.

‘Sunbae plays basketball?’ she picked up a picture of him and his team. ‘Jeonghan sunbae and Mingyu do too? Huh.’ Shrugging, she finally changed.

“What took you so long?” Seungcheol asked, looking up at Jiyeon when she came in.

“I was snooping.” She smiled and sat down in between Jun and Wonwoo. “Don’t worry. I didn’t discover anything worth while.”  She thought for a second. “I don’t know all of you. I know Seungcheol sunbae, Jeonghan sunbae, Joshua sunbae, Wonwoo, Jun, Soonyoung, Jihoon, and Mingyu but that’s it.” Everyone else introduced themselves, while Jiyeon squinted, trying to remember all the other names. Having 13 of them altogether made it hard. Well. She’d have to try.

The first movie they watched was the first Indiana Jones movie. So much adventure! Jiyeon loved this movie. She pulled her knees up to her chest and munched on a cookie, completely enthralled with the stunts Harrison Ford did.

Wonwoo felt Jiyeon shiver next to him and he ped his sweatshirt.

“Here.” She looked at him then at his sweatshirt.

“Aren’t you gonna be cold?” He shook his head and pushed it towards her.

“Just put it on.” She took it, zipped herself up then tucked herself into it.

“Thanks.” He smiled at her and the sweater paws that she was flopping around mindlessly. It was adorable. It seemed that everything she did was adorable to him. For no apparent reason. It was adorable how she chewed on her lip when she was really focused and how she scrunched her nose when something was hinky. Her hair looked so smooth and soft and he had a hard time not petting her head.

“EWWWW!” Seungkwan squealed and hid his face in the stuffed bunny he was holding. “I hate snakes! So much!” Jiyeon giggled.

“Indiana doesn’t like them much either.”

“See? Great minds think alike!” Seungkwan nodded sharply.

When the guy’s face melted, Seungkwan screamed.

“SO DISGUSTING! Why did we watch this movie?” Everyone laughed.

“You’re such a baby hyung!” Dino smiled.

“Don’t talk to me like that!” Seungkwan threw a pillow at him. Dino retaliated, which started an all out pillow fight. At first Jihoon sat out of the mess until Mingyu nailed him in the face. He squinted and went after Mingyu, jumping on his back and smacking him repeatedly in the face with his pillow.

“Hyung! Hyung! Stop! Stop!” Mingyu cried, trying to get Jihoon off his back. Jihoon smirked and jumped off. Vernon hit Jeonghan who then smacked him upside the head. Seungcheol laughed while protecting Jiyeon who was clinging onto the back of his shirt, laughing. Wonwoo and Soonyoung ganged up on the two and tried to do everything they could to hit her.

At one point Jun tackled her to the floor and started tickling her.

“Jun! Juuuuuun! Stoooop!” She cried in between her laughter. “Minghao! Save me!” Minghao ducked under a pillow that came flying at him and pulled Jun off her. “Thank you!” Jiyeon got up and started hitting Jun with the pillow he just had. “Take that Junniejun!” After she got up, a pillow came flying and knocked her in the head.

“Oh my god! Noona! I’m so sorry!” Chan ran over and grabbed her hand. “I didn’t mean to hit you! I was aiming for Seungcheol hyung!” Jiyeon laughed and waved him off.

“No harm no foul.” Chan smiled and went back to attacking his hyung.

After three movies, pizza, and all the cookies Jiyeon brought, everyone had fallen asleep, spread about the room. Jiyeon’s head was on Seungcheol’s shoulder, her elephant lying limply in her hands on Wonwoo’s head in her lap. Seokmin, Soonyoung and Seungkwan had all cuddled up together into a pile and Jihoon was asleep on Mingyu’s back. Jun was spread eagled on the floor with Minghao’s head on his stomach. Jeonghan was curled up in a ball next to Joshua while Vernon and Chan were lying across the couch. All of them sleeping peacefully.

****

The Monday following, Seungcheol waited for Jiyeon outside of her apartment building. He shifted from foot to foot trying to keep warm. He looked at his phone, debating whether to call or text to her, or just wait. Just when he had decided to call, Jiyeon came out.

“Seungcheol sunbae?” He looked up. “Why are you here?”

“Waiting for you of course.” He gave her a broad smile.

“That’s nice of you but why didn’t you call? You could have come up and waited inside instead of freezing out here.” She frowned at him. “You don’t want to get sick. You have basketball.” He laughed and flicked the pompom on the top of her hat.

“I’ll be fine. Now come on. We’re gonna be late.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her to the bus stop.

****

Wonwoo stared at the back of Jiyeon’s head chewing his lip. He saw her arrive with his hyung this morning. He couldn’t fully understand the feeling he felt. Every time he saw her with Seungcheol, his stomach twisted into a knot and his head started to pound. What was it? He felt angry and frustrated and upset. What made him feel better was the knowledge that she sat in front of him everyday. Ate lunch with him everyday. It still didn’t feel like enough. He shook his head and looked out the window. It was complicated. His feelings were complicated. Was what he was feeling jealousy? Why was he jealous? Did he… like Jiyeon? He sat up straight, wide eyed. The awful feeling he felt when he saw her with someone else must mean that he liked her. He looked at the back of her head. She ran her fingers through her hair and flipped it over her shoulder.

 It made sense to him now. He was always so captivated with everything she did, even if she was just playing with her hair. Wonwoo smiled softly. It felt kind of nice admitting that he liked Jiyeon. It felt… freeing. Although, he didn’t think he could tell her yet.

****

Seungcheol pushed his hair out of his face and looked up at the winter sun. It was bright but chilly. He had decided to take a walk to enjoy the sun but also because it looked like it was going to snow. He really wanted to see the snow.

When he caught sight of Jiyeon, he felt his heart rate increase. She was walking Mickey while trying to keep a good grip on his leash.

“Micky! Slow down!” He heard her call, stumbling behind the huge dog. He smiled softly as he watched her struggle. She was all bundled up in her large coat with a furry hood, pompom-topped hat, large fluffy scarf and mittens. All of a sudden the huge dog bound up to him and jumped up.

“Mickey! No!” Jiyeon ran up and tugged Mickey off. “I’m so-“ She looked up to become face to face with Seungcheol. “Sunbae! I’m so sorry. I don’t know what’s gotten into him today.” Seungcheol laughed and shook his head.

“No problem.” He pointed down the park path with his thumb, “You wanna walk together?” Jiyeon nodded and the two continued down the path together.

“Were you working today?” Seungcheol asked, looking down at the smaller female as they walked.

“Yup! 7am to 2pm shift.” She shrugged. “It wasn’t too bad, I guess.” Seungcheol nodded. “How about you sunbae? Did you just want to take a walk?”

“Yup. I got bored at home. And it looks like it’s going to snow. I want to see the first snow.”

“Me too!” Jiyeon smiled. “If it snows then we’ll see it together!” Seungcheol blushed at the thought. It was on his bucket list of romantic things to see the snow with the girl he liked and the thought of seeing the snow with Jiyeon made his heart race faster than it already was. He nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt her hold onto his arm.

“Sorry. I nearly slipped.” She went to release his arm but he linked their arms together.

“Better hold on so you don’t slip again.” Jiyeon blushed slightly and focused on Mickey tugging on his leash. She was slightly embarrassed about his rather smooth words. She gripped his arm tighter and continued to walk. As if on cue, snow began to lightly fall.

“Oh! It’s snowing!” Jiyeon looked up at the sky, blinking away a snowflake that had fallen in her eye. “Look at that! I was hoping it would today!”

“Me too.” Seungcheol smiled down at her. She was smiling as well while trying to catch snowflakes on her tongue. Mickey tugged on his leash, pulling the couple along, excited as well for the snow. Jiyeon laughed loudly and jogged after the giant dog. It was a perfect afternoon

***

 

The first home basketball came after two weeks after the start of the season. Jiyeon was so excited, she could barely focus in class. Every time the teacher called on her she would have to ask them to repeat the question, exasperating the teachers. She felt terrible for a little before perking up at the prospect of the game. It was the first time she would see Seungcheol play (he was starting), and she really hoped he was as good as she hoped he was.

Seungcheol was nervous. He knew Jiyeon was going to the game and knew he had to play his best to impress her. He wanted to ask her to wear his varsity jacket but he couldn’t work up the courage to ask her. It was common that the team members ask the person they like to wear their jacket for good luck.

“Just ask her Cheol! The worst that could happen is that she says no.” Jeonghan sighed, leaning on Seungcheol’s desk.

“That’s the problem!” Seungcheol huffed. “It’ll be embarrassing if she says no.” He dropped his head onto the desk, gripping tightly to his jacket in his hand. Jeonghan shook his head.

“You’ll never know if you don’t ask.” Jeonghan paused before a sly smile spread onto his face. “Is it because she’ll know you like her?” Seungcheol shot up.

“N-n-no. I don’t think… so…” He trailed off and looked out the window. Did he want Jiyeon to know that he liked her? Was he ready for her to know? It had been about four months since he first saw her in the café, so what was the problem? Her saying no was the problem. He knew for a fact Wonwoo liked her too which made things difficult as well. What if they fought over Jiyeon and ended up losing their friendship? They had been friends since kindergarden. Ugh. This was complicated.

“Ask. Her.” Jeonghan hit him in the head with his english book. “You have to ask! She might not even catch on! She might think you’re asking her as a friend! She’s a little dense you know.” He chuckled and Seungcheol smiled.

“She is isn’t she?”

****

Jiyeon rushed to pack up her bag once the final bell rang.

“You’re really excited, huh?” Wonwoo smiled, watching her scramble to shove everything into her backpack.

“I love basketball! I’m excited to watch Seungcheol sunbae play!” She turned away for a minute before turning back. “And Gyugyu and Hannie sunbae.” She pulled her bag onto her shoulder. “I also want to change before.”

Wonwoo watched as she bounced out of the room. He was going to go to the game, even though he disliked sports, just to see Jiyeon get excited. Well, he guessed that he should go see Mingyu too. But Jiyeon just seemed so excited! She always looked amazing when she was excited. He sighed before standing up. It was probably a good idea to get seats before it got too crowded.

****

Seungcheol looked around, nervously searching for Jiyeon. His jacket was on the bench, waiting for him to give it to Jiyeon. The team was warming up and in his distraction he didn’t see the ball flying towards him.

“Cheol look out!” He turned in time to catch the ball. His teammate laughed. “You’re really distracted bro. Is it because of that Jiyeon girl?” Seungcheol nodded with a small smile. “Just give her your jacket. She’s over there.” His teammate pointed to the stands where Jiyeon sat with Wonwoo, waving over Soonyoung and Jun. Seungcheol thanked him and jogged to get his jacket. Taking a deep breath, he called for her. Jiyeon smiled and climbed out of the stands to meet him.

“Sunbae! What’s up? Are you ready for the game?” She bounced on the balls of her feet, playing with the sleeves of her long sleeved shirt. Seungcheol smiled and scratched the back of his head.

“I am!” He paused and took another deep breath. “I- uh- I was wondering if… you…” Jiyeon tilted her head, blinking up at him with her wide brown eyes. “Uhhh… Ifyouwouldwearmyjacket.” he blurted.

“What?” Jiyeon furrowed her brows. Seungcheol blushed, looked away, and held out his jacket to her.

“Please wear my varsity jacket. It would mean a lot to me if you wear it.” He held his breath as Jiyeon eyed the jacket. After what felt like an eternity, he felt his jacket leave his hand.

“Ok! I’ll wear your jacket.” He sighed in relief. “But in return you have to win. Ok?” He nodded and happily watched Jiyeon shrug on his jacket. “Promise?” She held out her pinky. Seungcheol locked their pinkies.

“Promise.”

****

Seungcheol kept his promise and lead his team to victory. He scored 43 points out of the 88. They beat the other team 88 to 49 and the whole school celebrated excitedly. Jiyeon cheered loudly the whole time. Both Mingyu and Jeonghan both also scored a few points each. She was so happy that she almost slipped and fell down the stands. It was a great game and Jiyeon was happy to have attended.

Seungcheol liked to believe that Jiyeon wearing his jacket gave him the strength to play his best. To him, it seemed that Jiyeon was his good luck charm. Everytime he scored, he looked into the crowd, waving to Jiyeon before getting back into the game.

“I told you I would keep my promise!” Seungcheol smiled down at an extremely excited Jiyeon, bouncing around in front of him.

“You did! You did! And you were so good! Sosososo good! You made so many shots! And your defense tactics are awesome! You guys barely let anyone by! Oh my god! It was great!” She flung her arms in the air and clapped. Jeonghan ruffled her hair.

“You really love basketball huh?” Jiyeon nodded and smiled. Jeonghan laughed. “You should wear Cheol’s jacket to all the games! If you do, we might win every time.” Jiyeon nodded vigorously.

“Definitely!”