Into a Bigger Orbit

The Universal Law of Attraction

Jimin is not the type of person to quit on things. Especially if he loves what he’s doing, he’ll usually stick to it through thick and thin without doubting his choices. He’s devoted and he’s loyal; a lot of people adores him because of these traits.

So when he walks in to their dance studio in university, with his clubmates excited and thrilled to see him after summer break, his feet suddenly feels heavier than usual. Each step feels like a couple of chains are attached to his ankles, holding him back from a decision he has long since made ever since Taehyung discovered the truth between him and Shownu.

He smiles at everyone as soon as he enters the room, giving high fives to his close friends that he practiced and partied with for the last year and a half. Being part of such a lively group helped him a lot throughout his freshman year in university, and it’s something that he can’t be more grateful for.

He never thought of giving up what he strived to achieve before, but things are different now and he knows he has to manage his time better. He doesn’t want to waste all the effort and passion he invested on the dance team, but correcting one grave mistake costs a fortune; Jimin knows he can’t get everything he wants at the same time. He has to sacrifice things to achieve things; it’s just simply how the world works.

He’s lost in his thoughts when he spots Hoseok sitting at the other end of the studio, holding a water bottle on one hand and a towel on the other. He seems to be gasping for air too, like everyone else inside the studio when he walked in. It seems like they’re exercising as early as the first day of the new semester, which surprises Jimin a bit.

He eventually reaches his friend’s spot after walking slowly across the room, still feeling the imaginary heavy chains on his feet holding him back. “Hello,” he greets with a low tone.

“Hi Jimin!” Hoseok greets him back with a blinding smile, contrary to what he expected. He already disclosed his plans with everyone during a night of bonfire and s’mores back in Busan, but the other still greets him cheerily despite knowing the dreadful news. “How can I help you?”

Jimin literally winces at the lowkey sarcasm thrown at him. “Um, I’m good. You done with the… uh, enrolment process?”

“Yup!” Hoseok beams at him again, and Jimin can see how he’s faking his excitement. “But I don’t think you’re here to talk to me about enrolment.”

“…Right,” he confirms in a low tone. Hoseok smiles warmly at him again, and Jimin can’t tell if he should feel better about it or even more pressured. “I’ve already talked to you about this back in Busan…”

“Yes, I know,” the other replies blankly. “Just be reminded that once you quit the dance team, I’m not accepting you back if you change your mind.”

“But that’s not what you said before,” Jimin teases him back. “You told me I’m always welcome to go back if I have enough free time again, right?”

“I was just bullting you ‘coz Taehyung was there,” his friend replies with a pout. “You prick.”

“I am not!” Jimin retorts with a laugh. “But seriously, I’m gonna miss dance so much…”

“Oh c’mon, it’s not like you’ll stop dancing at all,” Hoseok says with an eyeroll. “You’re quitting here to work part-time as a dance teacher in 1M, so don’t say you’ll miss dancing.”

Jimin laughs. “I meant I’ll be missing the people here.”

“Well you’ve made your choice,” Hoseok says in a sassy tone. “If your dreams are bigger than your friendships then so be it.”

“Oh please, stop the drama,” Jimin jokes back, but the words actually left a sting on his chest. He figures he should stop being sensitive sometimes. “You know how badly I need a high paying part time job to support myself. And I mean a real job this time.”

Hoseok shoots him a seemingly offended gaze. “I know, sheesh. I’m just kidding!”

Jimin just chuckles in response. He then pulls out a form out of his sling bag and hands it to his friend. “So uh… here’s the form for quitting the club.”

Another eyeroll comes from Hoseok before accepting the paper. “No need for such formalities, but okay,” he says while feigning a disappointed sigh.

Jimin chuckles at the gesture but feels a little emotional when the paper was taken by their club president. He thought he’s already fully prepared to leave their group with a smile, but like all good things coming to an end, he has to admit that it feels a little painful to accept. “I had such a great time here.”

“I know,” his friend says with his usual bright grin. “But it’s not the end of the world. You can still visit us anytime. And good luck with your new part-time job!

Jimin pauses for a moment before deciding that the other meant no subliminal message whatsoever, even if Hoesok’s clearly putting emphasis on the words. He smiles back for acknowledgement instead. “Thank you. And see you later!”

“Sure thing,” Hoseok says before standing up and clapping his hand up in the air three times to catch everyone’s attention. Their members turn around to look. “Alright everyone! Let’s all attack Jiminnie for leaving us!” He announces with a silly grin. “Attack with a group hug!”

Jimin makes an attempt to escape but he knows it’s too late. “No! You’re all sweaty—” he shouts before getting swallowed in the arms of his teammates.

And in that moment, Jimin’s eyes betrayed him. He promised Taehyung he’s not going to cry, but he couldn’t help it.

 

---

 

“Done with the tearful farewell?” Taehyung’s deep, baritone voice almost surprised him as soon as he exits the dance studio. He turns around to see his best friend smirking at him playfully. “Look at your eyes.”

“I didn’t cry,” Jimin tries to protest before wiping his eyes with the sleeves of his sweater. “There was a speck in my eye.”

“Heh, you can’t fool me,” the other says, approaching him and cupping his face between his huge hands. “No more lies, remember?”

Jimin smiles before sighing in defeat. He can’t resist those intense eyes. “Okay, you win. I did cry.”

“I knew it,” Taehyung says while pulling the corner of his lips into a small smirk.

“I can’t help it,” Jimin replies as he removes the other’s hands from his face. “And please don’t touch my face.”

Ever since they became official, Jimin’s been getting a little shy around Taehyung and often feels butterflies in his stomach out of everything he does or say. He’s supposed to be used to his clinginess and mushy antics already after years of being best friends, yet even the smallest gestures now makes him feel like an innocent grade schooler having the first crush of his life.

Now that they’ve stepped up their relationship level into the romance department, Jimin can’t help but notice how beautiful Taehyung’s face is as well. He’s always been aware of how handsome and attractive his friend is, but something is up with Taehyung’s strong eyebrows and prominent eyes lately that makes him feel uncomfortably sheepish.

And what’s even more excruciating for Jimin is the fact that Taehyung seems to be aware of it. “Why not? What’s wrong about that?” he teases in a playful tone. His confidence seems to skyrocket every single time he detects a shy response from Jimin.

“’Coz your hands are dirty,” he retorts while avoiding his gaze. He hates his best friend’s guts sometimes. “Anyway, we have to go and start packing. Are you done with scheduling your new classes?”

Taehyung shoots him a sharp gaze before grinning like an idiot. “Changing topics now, are we?” he teases. “But yes, I’m done scheduling those. I really don’t have to pack that much for the move ‘coz my stuff are still in my bag. I haven’t really unpacked yet from when we went to Busan.”

“You mean when you went to Busan alone,” Jimin says with an eyeroll.

“Hmm, that’s true,” the other says. “But you can’t really blame me!”

Jimin laughs at the other’s reaction. “I know, I’m just kidding,” he assures his best friend with a smile.

He didn’t expect for them to get over their problems that quickly, given that they only stayed 2 days in Busan to talk things over and patch things up. It’s a serious matter that almost ended their friendship, but it’s surprising for Jimin that it wasn’t difficult to surpass it. Taehyung took the situation maturely when they talked and he can’t be anymore glad for it.

“But the point is, it’s still early to go back to our place,” Taehyung replies. “How about we drop by to that newly opened café around the corner?”

“Oh yeah, I have to treat you for winning our little bet,” Jimin says after humming in contemplation. “I really shouldn’t have cried.”

“Nope, it’s my treat,” Taehyung says while placing an arm on Jimin’s shoulders.

He shoots him a confused gaze. “What? But I lost the deal.”

“Regardless. I have to impress my date,” Taehyung says before winking at him playfully. “You think a gentleman like me will let his date pay?”

Jimin cringes from both flattery and utter embarrassment. He hopes that he can get used to all of these someday. “I am not a lady. We’re both gentlemen here.”

Taehyung suddenly leans to his ear and whispers lowly. “Hmm, but I don’t think you’re that ‘gentle’ though…”

Blood rushes fast to Jimin’s cheeks and slaps his friend’s arm away, triggering a boisterous laugh from the other.

“Gosh, you’re so cute,” Taehyung says as he nuzzles his forehead onto Jimin’s. “You’ll kill me with that cuteness someday.”

“Just… stop, please,” he retorts demandingly. “We’re in public. I don’t want to—”

“But we’re not doing anything unnecessary,” Taehyung whispers again playfully. “I mean, not yet…”

Jimin felt a hand squeeze his backside and he jolts away from Taehyung in surprise. “Taehyung! What in the actual —” He bumps into someone before finishing his sentence. He turns around to see a stern face looking down at him blankly. It was Shownu.

“Hello Jiminnie,” he says in a seemingly mocking tone. “How was Busan?”

Taehyung pulls him back before he was able to answer and places an arm above his shoulder.

Shownu forces a laugh at the sight. “Look at your little boyfriend protecting you like an untouched .”

“Shut up,” Jimin hisses with a glare. “I’m done with you and your—”

“We’re really done,” the other cuts him off. “I’ve used you enough already. I don’t have further need of you anymore.”

Now it was Taehyung’s turn to chuckle. Jimin stares at him confusingly. The corridor may be deserted of other students but it’s still a public place nonetheless. A ruckus is something Jimin would like to avoid as much as possible.

“What the is so funny?” Shownu looks positively ticked off at Taehyung’s condescending gesture. “Did you lose your mind?”

“No, I just think you’re really pathetic,” Taehyung replies coolly. Jimin’s jaw almost drops to the floor. “I feel like you simply can’t accept defeat.”

“There’s no fight in the first place,” the other replies blankly before crossing his arms in front of him. As a student majoring in psychology, Jimin knows that the gesture is a sign of defense; Shownu was taken aback by the words but wouldn’t want to show it. “He’s all yours. I’m done with him.”

“He was never yours, hyung,” Taehyung says while slowly walking to Shownu’s spot. The emphasis on the word sounds anything but respectful and Jimin has no idea if this his way of bluffing or if he wants to stir a fight. “And he’s not mine neither. He’s not an object to own and use to satisfy something that you can’t accept to yourself.”

Shownu literally steps back at that, his face scrunched in confusion. “What the are you trying to say?”

“It’s pathetic that you have to use and blackmail people to satiate your uality,” Taehyung hisses, his eyes too intense that even Jimin was taken aback. “You can’t accept yourself, that’s why you try to control people.”

“You’re not making any sense,” Shownu says with a low chuckle, as if he’s not getting affected by the words. “I shouldn’t have talked to you in the first place. You’re a selfish idiot. What do you even know about what you’re—”

“That’s enough,” Jimin finds it the perfect time to interrupt the two. “Let’s just go Tae. Just leave him be.”

Shownu cackles smugly, but the forming beads of sweat on his forehead gives him away. “What an ungrateful er. Yes, go out of my sight,. I hope you enjoyed the loads of money I’ve spent on you, disgusting pig.”

Jimin meant to ignore the snide remarks but he lost his grip on Taehyung’s arm in a flash and sees his friend charging towards the other. A fist landed heavily on Shownu’s face, making him stumble on the floor.

“Oh dear,” Jimin mutters before rushing to his best friend’s spot and holding him back. “Tae, please. We’re in the university grounds—”

“I just feel sorry for you at this point,” Taehyung suddenly says in a low tone while shaking off the trails of blood on his knuckles. “You’re all talk.”

Shownu stands up and wipes the blood gushing out of his nose. He chuckles again before staring into Taehyung’s eyes. “Yes, but words hit more hurtful than punches can ever do,” he says sarcastically. “You can punch me again and again, but that won’t erase the fact that I have basically used and then disposed your little boyfriend. Can you even lay a hand on him without thinking of how I laid my own hand on him? Can you even plant a kiss on his lips that’s been—”

“Yes,” Taehyung cuts him off abruptly. “Yes, I can. I’m not as shallow as you.”

“That’s stupidity,” the other replies almost instantly. “I can’t believe this.”

“I may be immature sometimes, but what I feel for Jimin is wide and pure,” Taehyung says with a solemn smile all of a sudden, as if the ferocity in his eyes wasn’t even there just moments ago. “Wide enough to make room for mistakes and forgiveness. I love him. And that’s something you can never have unless you accept yourself.”

“Thanks for the unsolicited piece of advice, but that’s bull,” the elder says before picking up his backpack that swung away when he stumbled on the ground. “I’m outta here,” he says before walking away to the other side of the corridor.

And it’s nonsensical—to say the least—for Jimin to feel sorry for the other. Everything Taehyung said was true, and it’s pitiful that Shownu can never accept it. He knows how dark and lonely the world of lies can be, and he sincerely hopes that Shownu can somehow make his way out of it at one point in his life.

 

---

 

Boxes after boxes of schoolbooks and printed lectures are scattered all around their apartment’s living room, with everyone walking back and forth to rid the whole place of their belongings and appliances. Jungkook, being the strongest person out of all of them, has been carrying boxes to and fro their apartment and Seokjin’s pick-up truck downstairs, with Hoseok helping with the moving and Namjoon assisting Yoongi with disassembling his music equipment from his room that almost turned into a recording studio.

Jimin, on the other hand, is currently working on the last box of stuff that he has to pack. He doesn’t have that much textbooks and printouts to take care of in the first place, as most of his belongings are clothes and sneakers.

He looks around and feels a little nostalgic. His room now looks empty and unfamiliar, contrary to how it previously feels like just a night before. He may be being overdramatic but Jimin considers it his second home, his haven from a crowded city that a country boy like him used to be not familiar with. He can’t keep track of how many memories were formed during their stay in that place. If not for his deal with Taehyung that afternoon, he would’ve bawled his eyes out already at the thought of leaving now.

He’s in the middle of reminiscing when a knock came from his door. It turns opens even before he can acknowledge it. “Hey, you’re not crying, are you?”

Jimin turns around with teary eyes. It wouldn’t make any sense to deny at that point. “I lost on our bet again.”

“Aish,” Taehyung says with a sigh. He walks across the room to hug Jimin from the back. “What’re you being lonely for?”

“I’m not lonely or anything, I’m just…” he trails off to think of the best explanation he can think of. “You know that feeling when you’re moving places? Like, you’re not sad per se but you’re feeling emotional?”

“Hmm, I guess?” Taehyung replies while settling his chin on Jimin’s shoulder. “I didn’t feel that though when we left that hideous communal dorm before.”

“Of course, that’s the worst,” Jimin replies. “I’m gonna miss this place.”

“Yeah, me too,” Taehyung says. He then settles his arms on Jimin’s stomach as he hugs him. “But we’ll move in a house with everyone! Isn’t that better?”

Jimin hums in contemplation. He’s also trying to distract himself from the fact that they’re bodies are extra close to each other and preventing the butterflies in his stomach from fluttering too wildly. “Yes, it will be pretty messed up but fun.”

“And we get to share a big room together!” the other bursts in excitement. “I haven’t seen the place yet, but I trust Seokjin-hyung when he said the house is ‘big enough and decent enough’ ‘coz he came from a pretty upscale family.” It's a three-leveled share house so I'm really hyped."

“I know, and we also split the rent by 7 so that's a really big help for us,” Jimin says. “It's also closer to 1Million’s main dance studio. I wouldn’t have problems with traveling and all that.”

“Yeah, it’s closer to Esteem too,” Taehyung says while swaying them gently. “…Oops.”

“What Esteem?” Jimin asks hurryingly. He then turns around to look at Taehyung’s face, which has a silly grin plastered to it. “Esteem as in…”

“Uhh, it seems like they’re recruiting college students as models,” the other says playfully. “They saw me when I joined Seokjin-hyung’s show before. I might have to dye my hair black though for a more natural look, ‘coz that’s what they want.”

“Wait, what?” Jimin is still bewildered with the other’s words. He places his hands on the other’s arms to shake him a little too violently. “…You mean? Like?!”

“S-Stop shaking m-me,” Taehyung replies weakly. “I’m getting dizzy.”

“You’re now a professional model?!” Jimin almost shouts to his face in excitement. “Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Well not professional yet, I’ll be their rookie,” Taehyung confirms. “But yeah, I’ll work part-time on a monthly basis I think.”

“That’s great!” Jimin gets another burst of excitement and charges the other in a tight hug. “I’m so happy for you!”

“I’m so happy for myself too,” Taehyung says with a smile. “I mean, it’s scary to be part of such a company, but fear won’t take me anywhere. You taught me this,” he adds while snuggling on Jimin’s neck. “Thank you so much, Jimin-ah. I love you.”

Jimin’s eyes became teary again after that; he swears to be more tough but he can’t stop getting overwhelmed. Those are simple words, yet impactful in more ways than one. Taehyung has always been the extra push he needed in life to face the world out there, and it feels fulfilling to see that he does the same for the other. More than the newly found love they’ve just started together, what matters to them the most is the friendship and inspiration they share. Romance is only the cherry on top of their messy and spontaneous relationship.

In the end, Jimin thinks that maybe fate isn’t just attracting the things people want in their hearts. Maybe it also gives them what they needed and make them cope with it.

Taehyung interrupts his thoughts by suddenly snatching a kiss to his cheeks to catch his attention. “Oops.”

Jimin chuckles a bit before playing along. “That’s too vanilla.”

Taehyung’s eyes widened in shock before turning into a half-lidded stare. He wiggles his eyebrows and smirks dirtily. “Oh ho ho, we have a wild one here.”

“I was kidding,” Jimin says as he detaches himself on Taehyung’s body.

But a sudden tug caught him off balance and he falls on the bed, with Taehyung situating himself just above him. His heartbeat feels like it’s going to implode in his chest. “Um, what’re you doing?”

Taehyung hovers above him and whispers. “What do you say about leaving this place with a bang?”

Jimin guffaws and the nervousness lightens up a bit. “That was a terrible pick-up line, and I’ll have to decline. Do you even have an idea of how… how to do it?”

The other blinks confusingly at him. “…Yes?”

“You rely on , I don’t trust you,” Jimin deadpans, but places both of his hands on Taehyung’s nape anyway. “Let’s not rush things, yes? I think you’re not ready yet either.”

“Hmm, I guess so. Everything is still new to me,” the other says in a low tone. “But kissing is pretty much not new to me anymore,” he adds while hovering above him and slowly lowering his face to match Jimin’s. “Can I.. kiss you? I mean... properly, this time,” he asks almost innocently.

The blood rushes to Jimin’s cheeks fast, and by the way Taehyung smirks at him devilishly he can already tell how pink his cheeks look like. Taehyung’s confidence skyrockets again.

And when Taehyung’s confidence is over the top, he does some crazy things without thinking over.

Jimin didn't feel the need to utter a reply, and thinks Taehyung's lips have never been that soft before.

 

 

--

/sniffs/ SO THERE GOES THE ENDING YAAAAY i'm sorry it took this long to update ugh i'd also like to say THANK YOU to everyone that gave this story some love especially the comments. there's been TONS of times that i felt like discontinuing or just deleting this from the top but the lovely comments kept me inspired to complete it so uh yeah! i'd also like to use this spot to write how addicted i am with Jimin's solo track LIE like i thought it fits well with this story idk maybe it's just me bUT TAE'S SOLO TRACK KIND OF FITS THIS STORY AS WELL SO IDK I'M delusional and lastly i'm actually thinking of writing a new story but i'm still polishing it. i'm also considering a sequel for this that will mostly focus on their lives as housemates and VMIN's growing relationship but idk yet. help me decide between a sequel for this, or a pretty dramatic and mature story. lol. anyway thanks again to everyone that read and finished this till the end. till next time! ~jiminized