Fire and Ice

The Universal Law of Attraction

“This is not what we’ve planned…” Jimin says grudgingly to himself, letting out his frustration on the tomatoes he was tasked to chop into pieces. He’s been having a monologue for almost 30 minutes already and Yoongi finds it a wonder that he hasn’t accidentally chopped off any fingers yet due to his annoyance.

“Whoa, I’ve never seen you this pissed off before,” the elder says while beating the fresh eggs they got from the groceries, leaning on the side of their countertops while facing him.

Jimin just snorts, still chopping the tomatoes for their scrambled eggs with contained fury.

Yoongi laughs at him and places the bowl of beaten egg on the table. “You still look cute though,” he coos as he ruffles his hair.

“That’s not the point,” the younger protests but didn’t struggle away from the other’s hand. He’s starting to get used to people patting his head and it’s not really an issue for him anymore, especially when he’s too busy getting pissed off. “Taehyung and I planned it together…”

“Then why not tell him?” Yoongi deadpans.

Jimin just shrugs as a response, knowing that he and his hyung will never arrive to the same resolution. He’s always had problems with drama and will avoid confrontation as much as he can, whilst Yoongi is into being frank and bold with his opinions even if it has the possibility to hurt or offend people. He’s quite similar to Taehyung in a way; the only difference is that his best friend is simply shameless and unmindful at times, while Yoongi can be purposely aggressive and intimidating with his words.

Yet despite knowing that they can never really agree when it comes to decision making, he’s still happy that he gets to talk with him like a friend. Months ago, his hyung won’t even bother to look at him regardless of what his problem is, and Jimin thinks it’s a huge improvement from that.

He hands him the poorly chopped tomatoes, with Yoongi still playing lightly with his hair. “Is this all good?”

The elder smirks at him. “Those tomatoes look like a bunch of chicken stomped on them.”

“That’s a really clever way of saying that I suck at cooking,” Jimin says with a pout. “And can you please remove your hand?”

“Look, if you don’t want Hyeri to come along, then just tell Taehyung!” The elder suddenly cries out a little too loudly that Jimin had to push him out of Taehyung’s sight from the living room area. “Ow!”

“Not so loud!” He hisses to his hyung, placing the chopped tomatoes on the countertops. “How can I tell him if Hyeri’s literally just sitting beside him?!”

“Well tell him right in front of her face!” Yoongi answers him back. “Easy as that.”

Jimin sighs in exasperation and clasps a hand to his face, regretting his decision to accompany the other in their kitchen to prepare their breakfast.

Taehyung can be heard cracking jokes from the other side of their apartment, accompanied by high-pitched giggles from Hyeri that makes Jimin’s eyebrow twitch. He never expected for things to turn out the way it is and he doesn’t know who to put the blame on now.

He wakes up that morning feeling happy and excited about their little trip to Namsan, which he and Taehyung has been planning since they got to Hongdae. Their plan was to go there with only the two of them—a ‘best friend date’ as Taehyung would like to call it.

So when the same best friend suddenly announced that he’s bringing a girl that he just started dating, Jimin was literally dumbfounded. Two things hit him like trains on two sides of an intersection: first is the fact that his friend is bringing along a plus-one to their ‘best friend date’ and second is the fact that Taehyung is dating. It sounds too foreign for his lips to utter and for his mind to acknowledge.

But it seems true, with the way Taehyung is wearing the same shirt as Hyeri while sitting on their couch, giggling and chuckling at each other’s company to the point that Jungkook couldn’t handle it anymore and left their apartment to jog outside instead.

And Jimin’s been grumpy and irritable ever since, much to Yoongi’s amusement. “You look really jealous.”

“I am fucking not,” Jimin says, chopping the piece of tomato in half a little too strongly. “I just don’t like the idea of messing up the original plan.”

“Just admit that you don’t like sharing your Taehyung to others,” Yoongi tells him in a serious manner, his tone void of any intention of teasing. “I mean, it’s understandable to feel a little… possessive, in cases like this.”

Jimin halts from chopping the tomatoes. “I-It’s not like she’s his… girlfriend, right?” He asks innocently.

Yoongi chuckles with that. “Oh God. Little Chim doesn’t even know the difference of dating and being a girlfriend. This is just—“

“I know the difference!” He cuts him off in frustration. “Urgh, just forget it.”

Under normal circumstances, Yoongi would take offense if people will speak to him like the way Jimin did, especially when the person is a lot younger than he is. Jungkook may not call him hyung all the time and Taehyung may crack silly jokes against him, but they both never talk to him as casually and laid-back as he does. Jimin has been enjoying the somewhat ‘special treatment’ he’s receiving and he has to admit that he feels happy about it, even if it makes him feel weird and baffled before.

Yoongi just shrugs as a response and turned the stove on, grabbing their ingredients for the omelet. “Whatever. Go away. I don’t need your assistance anymore.”

“Geez, you could’ve thanked me…” Jimin protests teasingly. “You’re too cruel.”

Yoongi just ruffles his hair again to dishevel it, and Jimin doesn’t mind it anymore.

“Hey! Slowpoke!” a sudden shout from their living room startled the two of them. “Jimin-ah! We’re going after having breakfast! You should start preparing!“

Jimin just snorts before walking towards their living room where Taehyung is. He approaches the two of them with a blank expression. His mood is still unstable and the fact that Taehyung is too oblivious to notice it makes him even more ill-tempered.

“What’re you standing there for?! You should—”

“I’m not going,” he suddenly cuts him off. The other just shoots him a confused gaze, completely ignorant about JImin’s rapidly growing irritation on him.

Taehyung suddenly groans deeply and starts acting like a bullet was shot into his heart, grasping his chest as he dramatically makes a scene of slowly falling down onto the ground. Hyeri bursts into laughter at his silly antics, but Jimin kept his face steady. “No!” He exclaims in a playful tone. “How could you do this to me!”

JImin’s eyebrow twitches. He can’t believe how numb and clueless his best friend can get at times.

He just continues to stare at the other, wriggling like a dying worm on their floor and continuously spouting nonsense. Hyeri is still sitting on the couch, giggling and telling Taehyung to stand up and stop whatever he’s doing. She seems to be having fun, and so is Taehyung who is clearly messing up with all of them.

Taehyung refuses to get up though and went on with his tantrums, looking like a childish brat that clearly doesn’t look like he’s serious about anything. Jimin is sure at this point that this is not the type of guy who is serious about dating. He knows how his best friend is when it comes to romance, and he clearly doesn’t look like he’s bringing Hyeri along simply because he wanted to have a date with her. He has no idea what Taehyung’s been thinking, but it’s clear as daylight that everything is not as simple as what Taehyung wants it to look like.

He’ll never know as of now whether it’s something good or bad, or if Taehyung really is trying to plan something he’s unaware of. He figures there’s only one way to find out.

“…I’m not going, if Yoongi-hyung is not coming along.” He suddenly says, deciding to play along with whatever trick his best friend has up his sleeves. “I can also bring a plus-one, can’t I?”

Taehyung halts from wriggling on the floor and suddenly fell silent. His facial expression looks unreadable.

Jimin remains silent as well, staring down on his friend and trying to read him through his deep gaze.

“…I heard my name,” Yoongi breaks off their silence all of a sudden, appearing to be standing behind them while holding a plate of omelet on one hand. “…What are you talking about?”

Jimin feels a shiver run down his spine, slowly turning around to face the elder. “I-I’m telling them how much you wanted to join us,” he lies while mentally praying that Yoongi won’t bust the truth and expose him shamelessly. “So I told Tae that I’m not going unless you’re with us! Y-You’ve been telling me how much you wanted to go to Namsan, right?!”

Yoongi’s face is blank after that, completely void of any emotions. Jimin feels like his stomach is churning in fear as he smiles at him brightly.

 

---

 

They rode the bus around 10 in the morning, with Taehyung acting all giddy and excited as he walk side by side with Hyeri. He seems to have gotten over the fact already that Jimin is bringing Yoongi along, and hasn’t said a word about it yet ever since they left their place.

Yoongi, on the other hand, has been hissing curses under his breath all throughout their bus ride, groaning and scratching his head grumpily every 2 seconds.

“Um, I’m sorry to drag you along in this…” Jimin whispers. They’re sitting beside each other while Taehyung and Hyeri occupies a sit on their opposite side, checking something that looks like a map of the Namsan park.

“You owe me a fucking lot already,” the elder whispers back while facing the window beside him. “I’m supposed to do something more productive today.”

“But isn’t helping a friend more productive and meaningful?”

“No,” Yoongi answers quickly. He faces Jimin and sighs. “Bringing me along and making everything a double date isn’t something productive for me.”

Jimin’s eyes widened with that. “Huh?! What double date?!”

“Um, I hope you realize that that’s how it looks like now? After you brought me along?” Yoongi’s tone is full of sarcasm that Jimin suddenly feels stupid. “But if you really want to play this game, then I can tag along…” he adds while unexpectedly placing his left arm on Jimin’s shoulders, pulling him a little closer.

He almost jolts out of his seat at the sudden touch. Jimin was about to protest but Yoongi suddenly places his right hand above Jimin’s head to slightly push it down onto his shoulder. “I wanna sleep,” Yoongi whispers to him.

Jimin was too confused to react and just rests his head there lifelessly. He hears a deep sigh from the other before feeling him lean above his hair, making them look like a couple sleeping together on the bus seats.

Jimin wanted to protest and tell him their position is a little painful to his neck (Yoongi’s not too tall for Jimin to use his shoulders as a headrest) but he decided to just get along with it. He figures that it’s the most he can do for him when he dragged him along without his consent. He just silently wishes that his hair doesn’t smell bad at least.

They’ve stayed like that throughout the whole bus ride, with the mellow music on the bus releasing Jimin from his worries. The seat opposite their direction has become quiet too—Jimin thinks that Taehyung must have fallen asleep as well. He tries to ignore the little sting of jealousy and eventually fell asleep to Yoongi’s peaceful little snores close to his ears.

But after an hour or two, he was abruptly awaken by a consistent shaking to his arm. He opens his eyes to see Taehyung waking him up hurryingly. “We’re here! Get the hell up!”

He blinks lazily before jolting out of his seat in surprise, making Yoongi’s head swing to the other side and unceremoniously bumping onto the window glass. “Ouch! What the fuck?!”

Taehyung just rolls his eyes and started walking to exit the bus, leaving the two of them alone in a disoriented state after having their naps interrupted. Jimin smiles at the elder apologetically before dragging his arm to make him stand up. He then follows Taehyung down the bus while still scratching his eyes lazily.

But the moment Jimin’s feet touches the ground after getting off the bus, he felt something different; Namsan is situated on a mountaintop and even if they’re technically still on the outskirts, he can already feel the coolness in the air. He figures that it must be colder on the higher areas where the park is, and he regrets the fact that he forgot to bring a jacket with him.

Yoongi follows suit and stomped on the ground heavily. Jimin turns around to see him stretching his limbs out while scratching his eyes as well. “That was a good nap…”

“it wasn’t,” Jimin says teasingly. “Your shoulder is too low I think I’ll have a freaking stiff neck.”

Yoongi stares at him and smiles. Taehyung and Hyeri are already walking towards the entrance area, leaving the two of them behind. Jimin stares at them with scornful yet obviously saddened eyes.

The elder suddenly removes his bomber jacket and placed it on top of Jimin’s head, blocking his eyesight. “It’s going to get cold later. Where the fuck is your jacket?”

“I forgot to bring one,” Jimin replies, fixing the jacket given to him and placing it over his shoulders like a cape. He’s too lazy to put his arms into the sleeves yet, but he appreciates the kind gesture. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it,” the elder says in a cool manner. “I’ll be Taehyung’s swap for today. You look too down seeing him showering his attention on somebody else. And please—for the love of god—don’t even fucking deny it,” he says while fixing his snapback. “So I’ll be his swap for today. It’s not the most flattering job but I guess I don’t have problems with babysitting your sorry ass so…” he trails off.

“…So…?” Jimin repeats, as if urging him to continue speaking.

He can see Yoongi gulping hard before averting his gaze away from him. “…I’m here, for you.”

Jimin grins from ear to ear. “You could’ve just said that without all the explanations and insults, you know…” he teases, feeling thankful for the elder despite his cheesy choices of words. “But thanks, I really appreciate it.”

Yoongi places a hand over his hair to ruffle it into a mess (yet again). He didn’t say anything, but the way his lips slightly curve at the corner to form a side smile makes Jimin feel relieved.

He figures that it’s not going to be a bad day, after all.

--

i'm sorry if this chapter feels like it's rushed or something i jus seriously caN'T FOCUS AT THSI TIEM WHEN BTS IS JUST HOURS AWAY FROM RELASEIGN YOUNG FROEVER I JUST