Mistakes

The Poor Get Children

There's nothing surer!
The rich get richer,
and the poor get children.

- "Ain't We Got Fun?" Van and Schenck, 1921


At first he's hesitant to meet with her.

Having learned that she comes from dirt and filth and no ing money at all, he really has no intention of facing her. His father taught him one thing: that people like her have no business interacting with people like him (they're made from a different material, after all!) and it's also beneath him to even look at her.

But he created this mess.

He's the one that took her to the nearest hotel so that he could her. She's nothing more than a sweaty, grimy and he's still disgusted with himself because only later did he learn that she's poor. She's chosen to meet him at a diner where she lives and with every passing moment he feels more and more out of place. Children scream and play too loudly, their mothers wear unwashed clothes. Builders and farmers and god-knows-who else come in and out with disgusting, dirty hands every so often. But after all the unclean chaos, the bell above the door chimes once more to signal another person – and this time it's who he wants to see. It's his one-night stand. The one that he can't remember the name of.

She spots him easily and her smile is warm and good and even pure (but this seems impossible – she's foul and slimy, isn't she?) and she carries herself with a sort of grace. For any other (rich) woman he'd pull the chair out, but he can't bring himself to do it for her. As she sits, she blinks a couple of times before speaking to him like they're old friends.

“I'm glad you did come,” she says. Her voice is soothing and silky… But he has to remind himself that she's still disgusting. A girl from squalor. “Did you order anything to eat, yet?”

He has to search deep inside himself to find his voice, coating it with confidence and also an arrogance he hopes she'll hate him for. It sort of works. “You know, for a fact, that this place is far beneath my usual standards.”

“Yeah,” she says humourlessly. “A load of money must taste different to this diner.”

It's uncomfortable. She's to blame. She has to be. He's a man of fine taste and spectacular conversation and she's something similar to the mud under his soles. He knows he's not showing any respect, but he's been taught like this. He's been taught not to. Because these people are not even a fraction of what he is… And yet when her eyes glimmer with emotion when she looks at him, there is a questioning thud in his chest.

“I'm sure you don't even know my name and I'm sure you're also wondering why I called you here.”

“Correct.”

Her smile is genuine again. There is a rose tint in her cheeks. He looks at her shirt, ed a few times at the top. From the heat a thin sheet of sweat rests on her chest, and glitters due to the sunlight barging through the glass. She successfully catches his gaze again when she tells him her name. “I'm Nari.” It's soft. Sweet. His tongue begs him to say it. “And… I need to tell you something.”

There is a hesitance behind her tone and he sharpens his stare. “Go on.”

But he knows. He knows already. Why else would this pathetic poor girl want to see him again? Certainly not to spend another intimate night with him. Out of blind passion he forgot to use protection, and he hadn't even asked if she was on the pill or anything. Hell if she knew what a ing morning after pill was, too.

She tells him straight away. In a rush, Nari says, “I'm pregnant,” and he knows his world is supposed to shatter – but it doesn't. Instead he gazes at her more carefully. She's with his child. He isn't disgusted. Nari is soft-looking, perhaps even beautif--

“You are?”

“I am.”

Nari is glowing. He's heard people say that when a woman is with child, they have a certain glow – he never understood such a thing until now. Nari is waiting for him to speak, but he's drowned in his thoughts. Finally, he knows what he must say.

“I cannot do anything about that. If you wish to raise it, then do so. If you wish to terminate it, then do so.”

He does not offer his support. That is most definitely beneath him, isn't it? This is probably why the girl called him to this horrible, vile place. To get money from him. Yes, that's it. That is definitely it. Nari can glow all she wants, speak softly to him, and everything else – but she won't get a ing cent out of him. These poor people are filth. Scum.

“I thought you'd say that,” Nari tells him. She catches him off guard as she stands up. With a hand over her stomach, she looks down at where his child will soon grow. As if to comfort it, she rubs her hand over her stomach. “I just had to tell you. Please, Mr Choi, don't hate me for this. I didn't mean for this to happen, and...” Nari's hand is on his shoulder, “know that I won't sell this story to the papers or anything else. I can promise you that.”

Looking at her hand, he swallows. If he's so sure of this, then why is it aching slightly? The mother of his child has a good heart. He cannot let images of what his child will be like one day overtake his instilled pride. And so he lets his pride win and he stands up, ready to get out of the diner and go to the BMW that awaits. His driver may even be worried. Yes, he should just think about that.

He grunts as he stands up and she extracts her hand from him. It's astounding that nobody in the diner has paid any attention to him. He's a rich man and he's going to get richer, and she's a poor girl that's going to get a child and yet no one is looking at them.

“I appreciate that.” It comes to him straight away. “However, I will get my lawyer to speak to you privately. A contract will be signed so that you are sworn to secrecy.”

Nari's face falls slightly, but she nods immediately. “I understand.”

“And I apologise that you won't be getting any support for this mistake.”

Her soft features turn hard. “My child isn't a mistake,” she tells him firmly. It shakes him that he's almost tempted to correct her by saying their child.

“Believe what you will,” he mutters to her arrogantly. The false arrogance is what will protect both of them in a way. “Expect my lawyer soon. Goodbye.”

He exits without waiting to hear her goodbye, but yet he keeps his ears open to hear it.

She doesn't say it.

And so Choi Seunghyun goes, leaving her with his unborn child.

Nari watches him as he leaves.

 

 

 


AN: So, if it wasn't straightforward enough... Basically, Seunghyun (the rich man) had a one night stand with little Nari, a poor girl. Prejudiced against lower classes, of course he feels... Disgusted. Anyway, this was a one-shot but I might consider making it into a story in the future, if anyone would be interested. This would work as a prologue. Please let me know if you liked it! Don't be a silent reader - I love comments. Thank you so much for reading. <33