One

Explosions

Kai took Krystal's hand in his and gently pulled her towards him.
"Come on, I have something to show you."
"What?" Krystal grumbled, feeling manhandled.

She wasn't sure whether she wanted to see whatever it was Kai wanted to show her. But she didn't let go of his hand. She would follow him, wherever. No matter how tired she felt or how much her head hurt, the feeling of his hand in hers comforted her. She followed him down a twisting alley way, her boots clonking on the cobbled floor. She loved the houses and the night time buzz in this little Spanish town. 

Listening to grasshoppers chirping every morning, she would roll over to look at Kai and memorise the details of his face. Sometimes she'd reach over and trace the lines of his face with her finger and he'd take her hand in his whilst he was half asleep

Even though she he turned away from her as he walked through the street, she could still see his childish smiles and a glimmer in his eyes. She didn't know how long they walked for but it that wasn't important. Time didn't matter, it didn't really exist. 

The narrow street opened onto an equally stony square. There were restaurants and cafés and jewellery shops and so many people. She wondered why they were here. Were they going out for dinner? Were they going to party? She didn't like parties; they made her uncomfortable. She'd probably spend the whole night grasping onto Kai's arm so she didn't feel alone.

However, a loud bang from the sky explained to her why they were here.
"Fireworks," she whispered not expecting Kai to hear her. But she saw him nod beside her under the faded streetlights.
"You've always liked stating the obvious," he joked, his breath on her ear causing her to shiver. 
"It's one of my many talents," she replied.
Another bang sounded and colour exploded in the sky.
"I know," she heard the smile in his voice.

Kai was all smiles and pointless arguments that never meant anything. His small gestures and comforting touch made her feel at home. How did every day with Kai feel like the first time they'd met? All the moths and butterflies fluttered in her stomach, everyday taking flight in the same way as they did the day before. 
Collections of colour continued to cover the sky in blues, reds and greens. Krystal smiled and squeezed Kai hand, gently digging her nail into his thumb, a sign of affection, an unspoken thank you.

They stood in silence, she didn't know how long they remained there hand in hand on that warm, noisy, Spanish night. Their shoulders were touching and their eyes were focused on the sky. But she didn't care how long they stood there because time didn't matter, it didn't really exist anyway.