2nd Story: Apart

In My Dreams

Characters:


Jeju, South Korea…

The 20 year old woman is walking alone on the sand barefooted. She is supposed to be happy because for her, Jeju is a paradise. She used to go there when she was a child with her parents but after the tragic thing happened to them, this was the first time after 15 years that she step on Jeju again.

“Yoona.” Her boyfriend called her.

She stops walking and waits for him.

“You woke up early than yesterday.” Her boyfriend said.

“I didn’t sleep well last night, Kris.” Yoona said.

Kris Wu is Im Yoona’s boyfriend. He is a Chinese and belongs to a very rich family.

The two were schoolmates in High School. Kris was famous in their school while Yoona was the Student Council’s President. Kris never waste the chance and asked her on a date until Yoona started liking him and they became official couple.

Yoona knew that his parents don’t like her but Kris always assure her that in the end he will still the one that will choose who he wants to spend with.

“Is it because I am leaving?” Kris asks.

Yoona starts walking again. Her eyes are focus on the sand that they are walking.

“I promise that after I finish my college, I will come back.” Kris said.

“But you will be the future CEO of your company. Coming back will be hard.” Yoona said.

“Just trust me.” Kris said.

“I already will.” Yoona said.

Kris stops walking and made Yoona face him. He touch her face while staring at her eyes.

“For the meantime, let’s just do what my parents want. After college, they can’t control me. We will get married after college, ok?” Kris said.

Yoona hugs Kris.

“Araso.” Yoona said.

“Let’s go back now and have breakfast. Everyone’s waiting for us.” Kris said.

Yoona nodded.

…………………………………………………………………..

During their breakfast, Yoona feels out of place. How can’t she? His boyfriend’s family is intentionally ignoring her and they don’t let her join the conversation.

Even when they all gathered in the living room, she is just in the corner watching them.

Kris’s family is giving them lots of things that he will bring to USA.

“Is everything ready? How about your luggage?” Mrs. Wu asks.

“I’m already set. I don’t know if these things can still fit in my luggage.” Kris said.

“Kris, could you come with me for a moment?” Yoona took her courage to ask.

Everyone in his family stares at her but she didn’t mind.

Yoona walks towards Kris and holds his hand. She pulled him out of the living room.

…………………………………………………………………..

Yoona brought Kris in her room.

“I want to give something to you.” Yoona said and looks at the drawer in her table.

Yoona smiled when she saw what she is looking for. She took it and walks closer to Kris.

“I want you to have this.” Yoona said and gave it to Kris.

It is a wooden carved dolphin keychain.

“Appa made that for me the last time we went here. I want you to keep it so that you will always remember me.” Yoona said.

“It’s beautiful.” Kris said. “I will keep it always.”

Yoona smiled.

“Be careful and take care of yourself.” Yoona said.

“You, too.” Kris said.

The couple hug each other.

…………………………………………………………………..

After 7 years…

“Students, don’t go around the hotel first. I want you all to go to your rooms first and leave your bags there. And if you’re going around the hotel, you need to inform me and who’s with you, ok? You all have my number, right?” Yoona said.

“Ne!” the high school students said.

“Tonight, we will have a dinner in the restaurant in the hotel. The dinner will be at 7 so don’t be late.” Yoona said. “You all have the copy of our schedules, right? Please do what in the schedule, ok? Tomorrow, we will have breakfast at 7 in the morning so don’t stay up late tonight. See you later.”

“Ne!” the students said.

“Ms. Im, do you want to go with us later?” one of the students asks.

“No, thank you, Lee Taeyong. Just go around with your friends and make sure that you will not make any troubles, ok?” Yoona said.

“Ne, Ms. Im.” The student said and left.

“Ms. Im, I would like to discuss you with this.” The class president said.

“Krystal Jung, relax. I know you’re the class president but you need to relax. You are in Jeju. Don’t work too hard and enjoy the paradise.” Yoona said.

“But-”

“Alright. If you really want to work. Why don’t you go around and check on your classmates so no one will make trouble, how’s that?” Yoona said.

“Ok. If that’s what you want.” The class president said.

After making sure that everything’s ok, Yoona decided to go to her room.

She is already in the elevator when a woman enters the elevator.

The woman didn’t press any number so Yoona thought that they are going on the same floor.

Yoona secretly looks at the woman through the mirror. She thinks the woman is belong to a rich family because of her clothes, jewelries, shoes and bag.

The woman’s cellphone ring and she answered it.

“Yes? Oh yeah. Meet you later.” The woman said.

The elevator door opened and they both leave the elevator.

Yoona ignores the woman after going inside her room.

…………………………………………………………………..

After leaving her bag inside her room, Yoona walks around the hotel and take a picture.

Yoona’s hobby is photography. Although, she dreams to be a photographer, because of financial problem, she just decided to become a teacher.

“Ms. Im, let’s take a picture together.” Taeyong said.

Taeyong is with his friends.

“Sure.” Yoona said.

Yoona knew that Taeyong likes her but she always remind him that their relationship is just teacher-student only.

After taking pictures with Taeyong’s group, Yoona go out of the hotel and went to the beach near the hotel.

There are few people on the beach and Yoona likes it. She removes her sandals and carry it while walking barefooted on the sandy beach.

It’s been 7 years since the last time she walk on a sandy beach of Jeju. It’s been 7 years since Kris left to study in USA. For the first year of Kris in USA, they still have communication but their communication became lesser and lesser until they didn’t communicate at all.

Yoona doesn’t have any news about him. The last news she heard was that his family went back to China.

…………………………………………………………………..

After walking on the beach, Yoona sat on the sand and watch the sun sets.

Then, a shi tzu sat next to her.

“Hello, cute little dog.” Yoona said while rubbing the stomach of the dog. The dog likes it.

Mei!” someone said. The dog get up and runs to that person.

Yoona stands up and watch the dog running.

“Here you are. I’ve been looking all over for you. Daddy’s going to mad if you get lost.” The woman said.

Yoona remembers her, it was the woman in the elevator.

The woman carry the dog and went towards her.

“I’m sorry. Did my dog disturbed you?” the woman asks.

“No, it’s ok. Your dog is lovely. What is her name?” Yoona said.

“Her name is Mei.” The woman said. “I’m Victoria Song.”

“Yoona Im.” Yoona said.

“Your name sounds familiar. Have we met before?” Victoria asks.

“I don’t think so.” Yoona said.

“Anyway, would you like to join us for dinner later?” Victoria said.

“Thank you for the offer but I am here with my students. We will have dinner together.” Yoona said.

“Oh! You’re a teacher. That’s nice.” Victoria said. “Well, see you later, Yoona. Nice meeting you.”

“Nice meeting you, too.” Yoona said.

…………………………………………………………………..

Yoona went back to her room to get change before going to the restaurant. When she arrived at the restaurant, she waited for her students to arrive.

They are now all eating when Victoria came.

Yoona was about to say ‘Hi’ when Victoria walks pass her.

“Kris!” she heard Victoria said.

That name had a great impact to Yoona. Her heart beats faster when she heard that name. Slowly, she turned around to Victoria’s direction and there she saw the person that she’s been longing for.

But the next scene made her heart hurt.

Victoria run into the arms of Kris and the two kiss.

Yoona felt numb all over her body after witnessing the kiss.

“Ms. Im, gwenchana?” Krystal asks.

“Ha? N-Ne.” Yoona seems to wake up from sleep. “I am not feeling well. I’ll go first to my room. You’re in-charge here. Make sure that after dinner, your classmates will get back to their rooms. Sleep early because we need to be early tomorrow.”

“No problem, Ms. Im.” Krystal said.

Yoona left the restaurant and went to her room.

…………………………………………………………………..

Inside her room, Yoona let her tears fall down.

Although she knew that something like this will happen, she still wasn’t ready because she is still hoping for Kris to come back as what he promised seven years ago.

…………………………………………………………………..

Meanwhile, in the restaurant…

“You know what, I met a woman a while ago. Mei went to her while we were on the beach.” Victoria said in the middle of their dinner.

“Really? What she looks like?” Kris asks.

“She is very beautiful and she looks nice. She is a teacher and she is here with her students.” Victoria said.

“Did you get her name?” Kris asks.

“Yes. It’s Yoona Im.” Victoria said.

Kris is thinking a person that has the same name of what she said and he is hoping that it is not the same person.

“Auntie will be coming tomorrow, right? We should look for the perfect place for our wedding.” Victoria said.

“That’s the plan. If only I will decide, I would like us to get married in China.” Kris said.

“But this place is perfect.” Victoria said. “Just like what you used to say. This is paradise.”

“Yeah right.” Kris said.

…………………………………………………………………..

Yoona and her students are busy with their educational tour in Jeju that she forgotten about Kris and Victoria.

It is already night when they got back in the hotel.

“When we get back to Seoul, I would like you to write an essay to the places here in Jeju that we visited. You only need to pick one place and write an essay about it.” Yoona said.

“Ne.” they all said.

“You can rest now. Tomorrow we will have a leisure day. You can go wherever you want but remember, you must still inform me every 30 minutes, ok?” Yoona said.

“Ne.” they all said.

…………………………………………………………………..

The next day, since it is leisure time, some students woke up late while some students went around Jeju early morning.

Yoona decided to go to the beach where she went to last 7 years ago.

While walking on the sand beach and taking pictures, she didn’t expect to meet the people she doesn’t want to meet.

She is not too far from them but they didn’t notice her.

She is about to leave when the dog saw her and runs to her.

“Mei!” Victoria called.

“I’ll get her.” Kris said.

Yoona who is wearing a sun hat so when she bend down to pat the dog, Kris didn’t recognize her.

“I’m sorry.” Kris said.

Yoona stands straight and turn her back. She wants to leave but the dog wants to play with her.

“It seems that Mei wants to play with you.” Kris said.

“Yes…” she whispered but enough for Kris to hear it.

Kris made her turn around because he is familiar with her voice.

Yoona doesn’t have a choice but to show herself.

“Yoona?” Kris asks.

Yoona just smiled a little bit.

Victoria followed Kris.

“Oh? Yoona, you’re here. Come join us for lunch.” Victoria said.

Yoona has no choice but to go along.

…………………………………………………………………..

The three went to the rest house the same rest house 7 years ago.

Victoria introduced the two to each other.

“You should meet his mom. She is so lovely but unfortunately she had jet lag. She just arrived this morning straight from the airport. She came from Russia for an event.” Victoria said.

Victoria doesn’t sense the tense going around them. Yoona can’t look at Kris while Kris is staring at Yoona.

“Yoona, would you like some tea?” Victoria asks.

“Sure.” Yoona said.

“I’ll get it.” Kris said.

“No, you stay here. I’ll get it.” Victoria said.

Victoria stands up but something fell on the floor.

Yoona picked it up. She stopped when she recognized the keychain.

“Isn’t it cute? Kris gave that to me after we engaged.” Victoria said.

“Y-Yes. It’s lovely.” Yoona said.

Yoona stands up.

“I’d better go. I need to check on my students.” Yoona said.

She didn’t wait for Victoria to say anything. She just quickly left.

…………………………………………………………………..

She is now on the beach when Kris called her.

“Yoona.” Kris said.

She stops walking.

“You should go back to Victoria.” Yoona said without facing him.

“I’m sorry. It was an arrange marriage.” Kris said.

“Gwenchana. I knew that this will happen. You’re rich, she is rich. You are perfect together. Unlike me.” Yoona said. “I am not mad at you but I am disappointed. The keychain.”

“Look, about the keychain. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to give it to her but I will take it back. That keychain means a lot to you. You should take it back.” Kris said.

“No. I gave you that to show how much I love you. If you don’t love me anymore, you can give it to anyone.” Yoona said. “I wish all the best to the two of you. Goodbye.”

Yoona runs away so Kris will not follow her. It hurts letting the man you love go but you should know when to stop loving him.

Yoona knew that even if she fight her love for Kris, she will going to lose. Her world is very different to his world. She is nothing. He deserves to be someone that has the same world to him.

The night, Yoona and her students went back to Seoul, leaving her love for Kris in Jeju.

 

 

~ THE END ~