Twins

Family

“Ah, finally!” I blurted as I closed the door of my car. It is finally Friday and I just arrived to the comfort of my home. I can finally relax and enjoy my weekend with my llama. I was smiling to myself as I walked on the porch and fumbled with my keys.

I opened the door and I wasn’t surprised when I heard the llama laughing all by herself while the game’s music playing in the background. She’s probably playing her game again. I thought to myself. My smile got bigger as Amber kept talking to herself like a kid. I hooked up my coat on the coat rack and took off my shoes.

“Don’t worry, I will take care of you~ I just hope Soojung won’t kill me,” she said. I shook my head and put my keys on a glass bowl that’s sitting on a table and walked to the kitchen first.

Seems like Amber’s really busy with her game, she didn’t even notice the sound of the door opening and closing. I thought and sighed. I got myself a glass of water and drank it while I checked the fridge’s content. I nodded to myself when I saw we don’t have to buy groceries this weekend as it was still full.

I placed the glass down and walked down the hall. I heard Amber laughed out loud. “Yah! Don’t do that, you’ll hurt yourself! Aish..”

Shaking my head again, I went to our room to change my office clothes to a simple white tee (which is hers, by the way) and just my lacy . Yes, yes. I’m so in the ‘good’ mood today. I went out and was about to go to the living room where Amber is when I heard her speak again. “Aahh! I miss my Soojung~ I wonder where she is.”

I chuckled to myself. “This stupid llama, I’m here.” I said to no one. I messed my hair up giving it a ‘y' look and flipped it to the side revealing my neck. I prepared myself and walked in.

Once I entered the living room. I saw Amber sitting on our couch and her back was turned to me. She had one of her arm on the top of the couch and I can hear her humming a song. I slowly walked to her, putting my hands on her shoulders.

Amber got startled but didn’t say anything as I leaned down to kiss her neck. “Soojung..” she mumbled.

“Hi, babe,” I blew an air on her skin and gently her shoulders down to her arms. Amber let out a small groan as I felt her shudder underneath my touch.

“P-princess..” she moved her head away from my lips and turned her head towards me. “Not now,” she whispered and gave me a peck. I frowned at that, but before I could say anything. A small groggy voice spoke.

“Who’s the ahjumma, baba?” I looked down on the couch and saw two kids, one girl and one boy, sitting on it. They were rubbing their eyes in a cute adorable way. I turned to Amber and saw the llama scratching her nape.

I glared at her and I can see her sweat. She gulped and tried to reach out to me. “S-Soojung… I-I c-can explain...”

“Explain yourself. Make sure I won’t kill you,”

 

We were now sitting in the dining room. I was sitting on the left side of the table while Amber and the two kids were on the other side. The kids were looking at me curiously, they had their head tilted on the side and had the intrigued look on their faces, trying to figure out who am I.

As of now, I don’t know what to think. I’m confused and mad at the same time. Confused, how did the kids get here? Did their parents lose them? Or they were left in front of our home? Mad, why didn’t Amber tell me about this? She could at least text me that there are two kids inside our house.

Amber cleared and started carefully, her were shaking in fear as I stare at her. “Soojung.. I know this is all sudden, and I know you’re wondering how the kids got here and why they are here. Well, let me explain,”

“I’m glad you’re aware that your life is in danger. One mistake and you’re dead, Amber Josephine Liu,” I glared at her, running my index finger on my neck.

She rubbed her neck and pursed her lips. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Once she opened them, she stared at me and I can see seriousness in her eyes. “Okay, you know we had a basketball game this afternoon, right?” she asked and I nodded. “Alright, so once I got back from the basketball game with Henry and Jackson. We saw this twins sitting on our porch.” Amber continued glancing at the two kids. Oh, so the kids are twins. She ruffled their hair and smiled warmly at them. I can sense that she’s already attached to these kids.

She glanced back at me. “Me, Henry and Jackson asked them why they were there and where’s their parents, they told us that they don’t have any parents and they’re living in the streets—”

“So, you just accepted them and let them inside our home?” I asked.

Amber nodded which resulting me to sigh. “I just can’t let them walking around outside, Soojung—”

“Did you call the cops? We should report these kids to the authority so they get the proper—” I got interrupted by a small voice, I turned to the source and saw the little girl looking at me with tears in her eyes.

“Please, ahjumma! We don’t want to go back there!” she pleaded.

The little boy started pleading as well. “Yes, we don’t want to go there! The people there are mean!”

“Yah, stop calling me ahjumma! I am not that old! And what place are you talking about?”

“The orphanage,” Amber answered. I turned back my attention to her. “They told me they ran away from the orphanage they were staying at, the people in the orphanage don’t treat them nicely,” Amber grabbed my hands and squeezed them. “Please, Soojung-ah, they need people who will take care of them,”

I shook my head. “Amber, we should call the authorities about them, we can’t let just keep them!”

And I think a huge lightbulb popped out of Amber’s head and she snapped her fingers. “You’re right! Wait a second!” she immediately lets go of my hands and stood up, she fished out her phone inside here pocket and walked a few feet away from the table.

I think I know where this is going so I stood up and was about to snatch her phone away when the two kids stopped me. “Please, ahjumma. We don’t want to go there. Baba was so nice to take us in, wash us, feed us and play with us.” said the little girl who was grabbing my left leg. There were tears in her eyes and she was hugging my leg so tight. I looked at Amber but she was too busy talking to someone on the phone.

“My sister is right. We promise that we will behave and we will be good children! We won’t make you mad!” said the little boy, I looked down and saw that he was also hugging my leg, he even has his face buried in my thighs.

I wasn’t able to move and Amber was done making her call. She turned to us with a huge smile on her face and I know she did something that will make the two kids happy. “Alright, kids! We were going to the orphanage!”

Two loud screeches were heard inside our home. “NOOOO! WE DON’T WANT TO GO BACK THERE!”

Amber chuckled and walked to us, I just watched the interaction. “Aigoo, don’t cry!” Amber said as she crutches down to the kids level. She messed their hair and the two instantly let go of my legs and hugged Amber like their lives depended on her.

 

Five months after.

 

“Thank goodness,” I said to no one when I entered my car. Hallelujah! It’s finally Friday again! I can finally go home and be with my bed, of course, and the llama too. But my rest and sleep are much important because I can finally take a break from all the work and all the stress!

I texted Amber that I am on my way home, the llama replied and said she made dinner for us and she will be waiting for me. I can’t stop the smile on my face as I imagine my fiancée waiting for me.

As I went out of my car and briskly walking to the front door, I saw Amber watching the t.v from the outside as I passed the window. I turned the knob and walked inside. I was greeted by Amber’s laugh in our living room. I shook my head and made my way there. I leaned on the doorway while I watch Amber.

“Hi, Soojungie.” said a robotic voice in the corner. I turned at the direction and saw the huge teddy bear sitting there. Confused, I looked at Amber, who was now looking at me. She smiled at me and stood up, walking to my direction.

“Hi, princess. Do you like it?” she asked, pointing to the huge teddy bear.

“Is it the one who talked?”

“Yeah, I sort of developed a program can make that huge teddy bear talk. And with the use of this,” she explained and showed me a small keyboard. “So this is how it works, I typed in the words I want to say and the teddy bear will say it,” she began to type the words she wanted to say and the teddy bear said it.

“Okay, enough hugging Mia, it’s your brother’s turn.” said the huge teddy bear. The little girl, Mia, let go of the teddy bear and ran towards me, hugging my leg. I think the tiredness that I was feeling was washed away by these little kids.

Yes, we adopted the twins. The twins weren’t hard to love, they’re both adorable, lovely and smart. Just seeing them every day puts a smile on my face, they brighten up my day and they calm my night, knowing I can see them in the morning makes me happy. All the stress and tiredness goes away when I play with them. They make all my problems go away. Of course, the twins fight occasionally, but it’s all good. Me and Amber can take care of it. Amber feels the same way too, we are happy to be their parents.

“Eomma, I missed you!”

I lifted her up. “I missed you too, Mia. Have you been a good girl?” Mia nodded her head in a cute manner and I chuckled. “Did you take care of your brother, Lucius?” I asked, turning my head to the little boy that’s hugging the huge teddy bear now.

Mia was about to answer when my little boy, Lucius, twirl his head toward us and he’s throwing icy glares at her twin sister. “No, she didn’t not, eomma! She won’t let me play with her toys!”

“Yah! You already have your toys!” Mia shouted back while she’s returning back the glare with even icier ones, but the two weren’t backing down. I don’t know where they got it from. “And my toys are for girls! You’re not a girl, Lucius! You’re a boy! Go play with your cars!”

Oh god… Here they go again.. I looked at Amber but the stupid llama was just watching and enjoying the kids shouting back and forth at each other. I can’t even smack her head because I was holding little Mia.

“But I want your toys!”

“No, you can’t!”

“I want them! I want to run over them!”

“YAH!! Eomma!”

“Baba!” Lucius ran to Amber and hugged her leg. Amber then lifted up Lucius. Good thing the twins don’t hurt each other even if they’re really pissed. They’re just throwing deadly looks at each other, trying to break down the other one. I wonder who they get that from?

As soon as the twins were in the same level the shouting began. I nudged Amber’s foot to stop them. She grinned at me then kissed my forehead before turning on her parent mode.

“Lucius! Mia! Stop fighting. Look at your eomma, she looks tired isn’t she? She needs to rest, she will get sick if she don’t get enough rest right? And you don’t want eomma getting sick, right?” she asked the two, and the twins nodded. My llama is so sweet.

I smiled to the llama in appreciation and she sweetly smiled back at me. “Your eomma will turn into a big ugly monster when you keep bickering like that, you don’t want that to happen, right?”

Or not…

A vein popped on the side of my head and I kicked Amber’s foot. “Yah! What do you mean by ‘big ugly monster’?! Am I now ugly to you? Am I now fat to you?! Tell me, Amber!!”

The two kids ooed. “Oh-oh, you’re in trouble, baba. Eomma’s gonna kick your ,” Mia whispered to her.

“Yeah! Kick baba’s , eomma!” shouted Lucius as he fist bumped the air.

Did I just hear what my two kids had said? Did they just say ‘butts’? I confirmed my thoughts when Amber gulped. “?” I questioned her and put down Mia.

Amber did the same to Lucius. She looked at me with pleading eyes, I could smell the fear emitting from her. “I-I.. can explain, Soojungie~ Please, let me explain!”

“Yah! What are you even teaching our children?!”

She was about to say something when Mia and Lucius speak. “I remember to ask you, eomma! What are s?”

I looked at the twins, they were sitting on the floor while they watch us, I’m sure my left is eye twitching right now. “Where did you hear that, Mia?” I started cracking my knuckles. I can feel the raging fire inside my body.

“From Baba and Uncle Henry. Right, Lucius?”

Lucius nodded his head. “Yeah, eomma. Baba and Uncle Henry were talking about it when she and Uncle Henry reading one of those books!” he pointed at the magazines that were all over the floor. Oh, he meant magazines.

“No, baby! It’s not what it looks like! I can explain!” I heard Amber talking to me on the side. I slowly turn my body towards her.

“For pete’s sake, Amber. The twins are just 6 years old!” when I moved closer to her the freaking llama ran away! “YAH! You llama! Get back here!”

And that's how... I spent my Friday night with my family.