Chapter 2: Distraction

ODDS: 135
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
    chapter2 "focus please? ——sure..

Standing in front of Irene was a tall, handsome, young man, who looks about her age. As the professor introduced him as her new Korean tutor, he was gently smiling while putting his hand out - for her to shake it. He is a second-year student here at the university, majoring in Korean Literature and History. 

"Hi, nice to meet you. My name is Bogum," he said softly. 

"Um...," Irene mumbled to herself as she pulled out her hand, hesitatedly. "I am Irene, nice to meet you too."

"Irene, Bogum will be your Korean tutor for one semester, and then you will take the Korean Language Examination required by the university." Professor Kang says, "I know we offer all-English courses but your dad and I still think it is important for you to be fluent in your mother language. Hearing no response from her, he continues, "I have discussed with Bogum, and he said he will be free to tutor you Tuesday and Thursday after classes at 4 to 5:30pm every week. Will that time be okay with you?"

"Yes...Those time is fine with me," half-smiling and trying to avoid eye contact with Bogum, Irene stuttered.

"Okay! Then everything is settled. You two can leave now." 

Bogum and Irene walked out of the professor's room together silently. Irene, still not be able to make eye contact with Bogum, slowly (attempting) to walk away from Bogum

"I guess I will see you next Tuesday at 4pm...at the Student Learning Center?" Bogum asked gently. "The Center there is quite empty on Tuesday and Thursday so it will be a good learning environment." 

Irene nodded.

"What major are you in?" He asked. 

"I will be taking gap year to learn Korean but um.. I think I will apply to Physical S" Irene answered.

Bogum looked slightly surprised, "Wow, there is very few girls in that major. You must be very good at Science and Maths to get in huh?" He smiled. 

Irene smirked, her eyes glancing at her watch. She suddenly remembered she have to join her parents for a family dinner in half an hour. Finally making eye contact with Bogum, "I have to go now. I will see you next week.. sunbae?"

Is sunbae the correct term to call him? Well, he is a second-year and a first so it makes sense to call him that? But they are not in the same major...Whatever, I don't want to call him oppa- urgh. Ew. Irene thought to herself.

Bogum smiled widely now, eyebrows slightly raised. "Okay, it was nice to meet you, Irene. See you next Tuesday!" He waved at her, as she walked away from him, blushing...hard. 

How does one focus with a tutor that is THAT handsome..oh my god...

--AT HOME--

"Welcome home, Ms. Irene," one of the maids greeted her as she stepped inside the house, "Your parents have been waiting for you."

Irene walked inside the dining room. It was a large room, with a big and glamorous chandelier on the ceiling, the dining table was huge and filled with various Korean delicacies and dishes. Sitting at the table was her father, who have just arrived from his business trip in Japan and her mother. 

"I'm sorry I am late. I just came back from the university." She bowed as she sat down on a chair opposite her mother, putting the napkin on her knees. 

"So you've met Professor Kang?" her father asked, slowly putting a piece of steak in his mouth. 

"Yes. He has assigned a second-year guy as my Korean tutor. The lesson will start next week at 4pm," she answered, a bit annoyed, not looking directly at her dad. 

"Okay. That is good." He nodded. "I'm glad you have listened to me and returned to Korea, and taking a year gap to learn Korean will be good for you in the future." He said with a satisfying look on his face. 

Irene just can't understand why her father wants her to back in Korea so badly. Her life was perfectly fine in America. She has friends, loads of them. She feels comfortable back in Los Angeles, but here, in Korea? She just never felt like she can fit in, not just the language barrier but also the culture. Also, what would she be doing during her gap year besides Korean lesson---

"I want you to make good use of your time during the gap year." Her dad spoke up, disrupting Irene's thoughts.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter