+010

early mornings are the latest.
Please log in to read the full chapter

+(2.010)

Another day, another dollar. Except Jongin makes very little to no money in a day and rather spends a lot funding his projects. But yet, he splurges on a cup of mediocre coffee at the newly built corner store across the street from his basement office. Today the usual kid is working behind the counter, but his attention is held by a BBC magazine that talks about the dangerous future of Earth.

                “Hey.”

He looks up and closes the magazine.

                “Hey, what’s up?”

From the few times Jongin has been in this store, the clerk has found it in him to talk to him casually. Really, Jongin’s not very peeved about it. He hasn’t got a stick that far up his , nor does he care much about younger/older formality dynamics. Still anyone else will think it’s very strange for a kid to speak like this to a 26-year-old man. Anyway, Jongin just comes in for the coffee.

                “Coffee please.”

                “Sure thing,” and he gets to it. “You like it bitter, right?”

                “Hm?”

                “Your coffee, I never see you put any cream or sugar in it. Isn’t that too bitter?”

“Oh,” Jongin scratches at the back of his neck, the part that always itches when she doesn’t know what to say. “I don’t really mind; I don’t like sweet stuff all that much.”

“Really? You don’t look like the type,” and he’s turned around while the machine starts its slow trickle of coffee.

“The type to not like sweet things? What’s that even look like?”

The cashier thinks for a moment before shrugging.

                “I don’t know, but it doesn’t look like you.”

And the machine rings out “Your coffee is ready” via a very convincing animatronic female voice. It’s all clean, high-tech in the convenience store. They even have Apple Pay and sign outside that says Welcome to 2016.

But Jongin doesn’t know how to react to the clerk’s comment, and so he gives him the benefit of the doubt.

                “Thanks?”

                “I’m not bashing you, honest. Just an observation,” and he smiles, teeth showing so slightly.

Really it’s hard to remember what the cashier says when he smiles like that. Whatever insult or non-insult was said, it has long since died on the air.

                “Right, well thanks.”

+(2.5)

 

Jongin is in the bathroom. It’s really more like a broom closet transformed port-a-potty. It’s so cramped and a single light-bulb dangles from the center of the high ceiling, one which is a pain in the to change out. He’s washing his hands, after taking a piss but really he’d just needed some change of scenery. His eyes were beginning to cross from staring at his laptop all day. 

Jongin leaves the bathroom to find Chanyeol and Luhan fighting across the room with water guns—around tons of very waterphobic, very expensive electronics.

                “You want to order out? I’m buying,” Sehun says without looking up from his keyboard.

                “You? What’d you find 50,000 won outside?” Luhan quips.

                “Yes! I’m having filet minon, then,” Chanyeol is always excited by the prospect of free food.

“It’s minion, stupid, and filet minion is not on the company budget. Your is going to have eat burger king like the rest of us.”

                “Burger King?” he pouts, because Burger King is well-known low-grade amongst fast foods.

                “Yes, if you don’t like it, you’re welcome to use your own money.”

And Chanyeol stays quiet because he’s a struggling graduate student.

Sehun grabs his keys and his wallet, snatching up a paper with Chanyeol’s reluctant order and Luhan’s before asking Jongin.

                “You just want what I’m getting?”

                “No, I’m not really all that hungry.”
                “What?” and Sehun looks legitimately confused.

                “Are you okay, Jongin?” Luhan spins around in his swivel chair.

                “I’m fine, alright. I can not be hungry.”

                “Of course you can—it’s just weird,” Sehun reasons. “Anyway, daddy’ll be back, kids!”

And groans of disgust and disapproval resonate throughout the basement office.

 

+(3.011)

For the past few days, Jongin hasn’t been eating properly. At most he has a cup of coffee from the convenience store (he still hasn’t gotten around to replacing his Keurig), a banana and water. He thinks it’s directly tied to his interview with AritZa this coming afternoon. His palms are sweaty and he feels a bit nauseous as he sits next Sehu

Please log in to read the full chapter