Heart Strings

Between Love and Romance
chapter three: heart strings

The lunch bell rang and students flooded into the cafeteria. Jooyeon and Joohyun were walking peacefully through the crowds, looking for Myungsoo and Jae. After Jae and Jooyeon met, Jae started eating lunch with the three. Jooyeon sat down, patting the seat next to her in a hurry.

"Come on, Hyun, you're so slow," Jooyeon whined.

"Are you really that hungry?" Joohyun asked from half way across the room.

Jooyeon gave a firm nod. Jae took his new seat across from Jooyeon, where Myungsoo used to sit. The group gathered and began eating.

Jae glanced over at Jooyeon's lunch before frowning. "Why are you eating so little?"

"My performance is in two days. I can't gain any weight," Jooyeon explained before putting another bite of her salad in .

"After your big performance, I'm going to take you out for samgyeopsal."

At the word samgyeopsal, Jooyeon jumped, "Really? Jae, I love you so much."

Next to her, Joohyun gave a look to Myungsoo. She shifted her eyes to Jooyeon and Jae then back to Myungsoo. He shrugged and went back to his food. A big smile spread across Joohyun's face. She was glad her best friend finally found a boy she approved of.

"I totally forgot I left my project in Ms. Kang's room!" Joohyun exclaimed, "It's pretty big. Myungsoo, can you come with me to get it?"

She stood up and shot another look at Myungsoo, threatening him to get up with her.

"I'll come with you, too!" Jooyeon began packing her lunch.

Joohyun quickly stopped her, "No, I can't take you away from your lunch. You already have to eat so little. You should at least finish what you have today. Plus, Myungsoo is like super strong so."

"Ok then." she sat back down.

"Jae, make sure she finishes everything! Bye guys!" Joohyun waved and dragged Myungsoo off.

"Maybe she does like Myungsoo," Jooyeon thought out loud.

"What?"

Jooyeon realized she had said it out loud and laughed at herself, "Oh, I'm trying to find Myungsoo a girlfriend. He wanted me to set him up with Joohyun, but I thought she wouldn't be interested in him. Now that I see her taking him somewhere alone, they might have a chance."

Jae chuckled at her naivety, "Yeah, I'm sure that's why. Now eat your lunch."

"Can I pay you back today? I'll take you out to dinner."

"Today? What time?"

Jooyeon thought for a second, "Around six I guess."

"Sorry, I have practice today at six. Should we just go get a snack after our classes end?" 

"That works. Wait, practice for what?" Jooyeon tilted her head slightly.

"You don't know?" 

"Don't know what?"

Jae smiled and shook his head, "Wow, I can't believe you don't know. I'm in a band. It's called Day6."

Jooyeon's eyes grew wide, "You're in a band?"

"Man, everyone at school knows who we are. You must really live your practice room. Yes, I am the vocalist, the face, and the hottie."

"If you're the face, then that's probably why I don't know who you guys are."

"Ouch."

Jooyeon laughed, "Can I tag along then? I want to see how talented the Park Jaehyung is."

"The band members don't really like it when other people come and watch us practice. They like our performances to wow the out of everyone, sorry," Jae frowned.

"That's ok then. When's your next performance?"

"Well, we work at a bar so we perform every Sunday."

"Wait, Sunday? Isn't that the day of my performance?" Jooyeon panicked slightly.

"Don't worry, our shift ends before your performance. I might be a little late because the bar is far away, but I'll still be there to the end," Jae said with a reassuring smile.

"If you say so."

For some reason, Jooyeon had a bad feeling. She had a feeling for some reason he wouldn't be able to show at all. It brought her mood down and she sighed.

"So where should we go today?" Jae changed the subject.

"Anywhere you would like to."

"How about you come over and I'll play you a few songs?" 

Jooyeon tensed at the thought of being alone at his house. Was she ready for that? "But then I'll won't be able to buy you anything."

"Then you can pay me back with some constructive criticism."

"I guess that works."

  

Jooyeon's last class ended and as she left the classroom, she was met by a swarm of girls. They were crowding around in a circle, everyone squealing in high pitches. Jooyeon turned to Joohyun and gave her a confused. Joohyun shrugged in response. The two attempted to push to the middle, but the pack wouldn't budge. From the inside of the circle, Jooyeon heard a familiar voice.

"Sorry guys, I'm here to pick someone up," the voice said, resulting in many groans.

From the crowd emerged Jae holding his guitar. 

"Jooyeon, are you ready?" he asked the flustered girl in front of him.

"Ah-" Jooyeon examined the faces of the upset fangirls, "Yeah."

"Don't worry, they don't bite," Jae teased, "Unless I tell them to of course."

Slowly, everyone went their own way and left the two alone.

"Well, that's my cue to leave," Joohyun waved and left as well.

The now quiet halls were only stayed quiet for the next few seconds. Once Jae and Jooyeon started talking, their voices were echoing up and down. They went out to the bus stop, standing next to each other at a comfortable distance.

"Are your fangirls going to come and stalk me now? Are they going to try and hunt me down? Have I been watching too many kdramas?" Jooyeon threw random thoughts around.

Jae laughed in amusement, "I don't think so. If they do, then I'll just fight them back. I'll hit them with my guitar. How's that?"

"Don't involve this beauty," Jooyeon grabbed Jae's guitar from him and hugged it close to her.

"Mery will probably like you more than she likes me."

Jooyeon choked, "Mery- You named your guitar Mery? That's so cute."

"Yes, Mery. I think it suits her."

"My god, you just keep getting better," Jooyeon mumbled to herself in laughter.

"What?"

"Ah- nothing."

-

As Jooyeon waited for Jae to open the door to his apartment, she stood with her nerves all over the place. Although the two spent the past weeks getting to know each other, they did just meet less than a month ago. She trusted him, but secretly she wanted him to make a move as well.

They stepped in and immediately she was greeted by the strong scent of Jae she had grown to recognize.

"Well to the humble home of Park Jaehyung."

Jooyeon stepped in, examining her surroundings closely.

"There are no dead bodies. Maybe a few dead cockroaches here and there but you didn't need to know that. Don't worry, I didn't bring you here to do indecent things," he said with a chuckle.

"I wasn't thinking about indecent things- But you did answer my dead body question."

"I know you're always thinking about dead bodies."

"Sometimes I think about your dead body."

"Now I slightly regret inviting you over," he laughed.

Jooyeon sat down on the couch comfortably, "Don't worry, I won't do indecent things to you either."

The apartment was the perfect size for a guy to live in by himself. The walls were beige and decorated with different paintings, guitars, and family pictures. As Jae got something for the two to drink, Jooyeon walked around the expanse of his living room. 

Jae came back with two cups of coffee and biscuits.

"Man, you're super prepared for guests," Jooyeon stated, taking the cup from him.

"I might have gone out and bought nice cups, biscuits, and coffee that wasn't super shady and expired just for you."

"But you didn't even know I was coming over until today."

"You don't know that."

Jooyeon laughed and took a sip of her coffee, "Ok then. Now show me your wonderous skills that girls crowd around you for."

He took Mery out of her case and sat next to Jooyeon, "Prepare to be starstruck."

Jae tuned Mery before strumming a few chords to check the sound. Just that much made Jooyeon's heart start racing. It was her first time having a guy sing to her. He cleared his throat and began playing a soft melody. Jooyeon sat in anticipation, waiting to hear the sound of his voice. His mouth opened and sang the first line of the song.

"I've been living quietly in a deep tunnel that swallowed up the light," his voice rang through Jooyeon's ears, "On the dark road ahead, I can't see in front of me. I can't see anything. I can't feel anything."

There was a pained expression on his face as he sang. As expected, Jae's voice amazing. It sounded like his speaking voice, but deeper, more gentle, and had a certain sincerity to it. Jooyeon smiled and looked down at her hands crossed on her lap. 

"Me in the black and white photo, my world that has spread black. I'm so tired, I'm so tired. Now I'm so sick of it," he looked up at Jooyeon, making eye contact, "The colors of you that I see from time to time raise me up because you're the only one with your own color."

They held eye contact for the rest of the song, Jooyeon occasionally glancing away to hide her embarrassment. Jae let the last chord ring out before giving her a look asking for approval.

"Oh man, that was good," Jooyeon finally said.

A shy smile appeared on Jae's face, an expression Jooyeon had never seen before, "Thank you."

"If I were your fan, I'd probably beat myself up."

"Are you saying you aren't a fan?" Jae lifted a brow.

"Not quite yet."

"Man, tough crowds nowadays," Jae pouted.

"I lied. I am a fan."

  

Author's Note / So I took out the other targets because I actually have no idea how to stick them in. Anyways, hopefully yall like the update! The next chapter will also be pretty joohyung/jaeyeon centric but also including Myungsoo and Irene! Thanks for reading guys!