The shimmering lights against a blue sky

Beneath the scorching sun

 

Chanyeol sat in front of burnt firewood of what was probably a campsite. The smoke was still coming off of the wet wood and Chanyeol could still the way the fire frizzled out once a bucket of water have been dumped over it. He touched the wet wood and felt its coldness sweep through his entire body. White oak, no wonder it smells nice.  

The smell was pleasant and comforting reminding him of home. He shivered as a gust of wind whipped at his thin coat. He wrapped his arms around himself and buried himself deeper inside his coat. He really wished those kids forgot a blanket or something.  

They must have had someone experienced in camping with them because this was one of the cleanest campsites that Chanyeol had ever seen. He stared at the charred firewood where there was still a residue of melted marshmallows and some bits of Graham cracker on dirt near it. He felt his stomach growl at the thought of some delicious smores.  

He groaned and patted his stomach so it would shut up. Why couldn’t this have been a campsite of some stupid teenagers who left half of their food and stuff behind rather some obnoxious boy scouts. He looked at the ground as he shuffled his feet and digging the heels of his torn shoes in the ground and in the process removing a large patch brown-yellow grass that seems to be withering away.  

He was a bit puzzled about the strange how could be so cold in winter when this place it supposed to have a very warm climate even in winter  after all it’s the only reason he came here.   

He flexed his fingers in attempt to get the feeling back in them. Too soon the sound of hissing wood died out and he was left in utter silence.  

He looked around trying to spot a critter out there, but only to find himself surround by the dark unknown of the endless green wilderness.  

He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and then rubbed his hands together when they started going numb again. He hates the cold; it was unpleasant and swept up his spine burying itself inside of his bone like distant memories in the back of his mind.  

He supposed it wouldn’t be so bad if there was a fire or a light source of some sort. It’s not like he was scared of the dark or anything, it’s just that it reminded him that there must be a light somewhere that he needs to find and served as an even painful reminder of those distant happy memories that shatter at his fingertips.  

The memories he can’t quiet recall, but knows that they are there and he needs to find that person. He wondered what time it is and then he wondered why he cared since things never change from.  

He wanders aimlessly from place to place looking for something that he doesn’t even know what it is. Maybe he should sleep it off.  

 He got up and decided to look for a better place to sleep. He brushed the grass and dirt off his pants and made his way out of the forest like he did some many times before. However, this time he still felt that uneasy feeling from before and decided to walk quicker and not explore any part of the forest like he usually did.   

Outside of the woods and walking down the cracked sidewalk he felt a little safer. The first glimpses of light began to show itself, as it slowly colored the sky with bright orange hues.  Chanyeol frowned and wished he could simply fall back and forget about everything else. He sighed, guess it’s breakfast- scavenging time.  

He walked around the small town watching as people began to carry out their normal morning routine and envied their structured lives.  

 The shops around him began to open including a small bakery. The smells of different types of pastries hit his nostrils and his stomach growled. He put his hand in each on his jeans’ pocket only find that he has a few loose coins on him not enough for a sandwich or even a blueberry muffin. He ended get a small bag of cracker and watched mouthwatering as another customer ordered a Bacon and Cheese Easter bread. It’s not even Easter!  

Absent-minded, he munched on his second cracker when he heard two men talk about how the police was useless and stupid. Intrigued and slightly amused by the two men’s expression he decided to listen in.  "— so they just let him go?!”  One of the men was saying

“No, the morons let him escape!” the other said seemingly on the verge of letting steam come out of his ears.

“What! How?!” the other exclaimed

“I don’t know it’s like he could just slid out the window. These places are secured at least I hope they are. And now some of the police officers are saying that he is a demon or something.”

“Bull!” the second man was looking more and more irritated by the minute

“I know! I bet they fell asleep or something and came up with lame excuse to cover their behinds.” Then the man raised his hands in a surrendering gesture, “oh he is a demon we couldn’t have done anything if we could.”  

“This is ridiculous if you ask me they should shot on the spot instead of taking him for questioning. You don’t take a bastard like that for questioning.” The other said as he folded his arms across his chest.  

The first man sighed tiredly, “I am just worried about Abby she hasn’t been herself since her daughter disappeared three months ago and I tell I haven’t the boys out of my sight since then. I don’t even let them play in the backyard anymore. They are losing their childhood and freedom because the government can’t do anything right.”

“Makes you glad that you grew in a different time, huh.” The other man mused.

 Chanyeol stopped listening then already bored of their conversation. So that’s what this about, another serial killer or maybe still the same one. How long has it been? He must be getting old by now. He is bound to slip anytime, so haven’t they caught him yet.  Whatever, he didn’t care all this means to him is that people will be more wary of him since he didn’t exactly look like the most trustworthy of characters.  

He turned away from the two men still conserving and made his way to an old bookstore at the end of the street. He could kill a few hours reading, maybe they even have comics. He slid his tongue against the back of his teeth and willed himself to save the rest of the crackers for tomorrow since he spent the last of his cash on them.  

He left the store at noon as the clerk kept staring at him suspiciously. At least he caught up on the latest walking dead comic issue. Well, now all he has to do is wander around aimlessly until night falls and he once again has to worry about finding a safe place to sleep. It’s a small town he could spend the day exploring it and maybe find a good spot to lie down at night. He might as well look for a fancy restaurant too since they also throw their left overs away and if he played his cards right he could have end up having lunch and dinner! If only there wasn’t a stupid serial killer on the loose it made people more paranoid than they already are he thought as people kept giving weird looks.  

Later that night, Chanyeol was sitting with a full stomach on French fries on cold park bench. Some idiot threw away his fries because were stale, seriously people could be so wasteful. Lucky Chanyeol caught it before it thrown in the trash bin. Maybe tomorrow someone from that Thai restaurant he found will throw away dumplings or something. He smiled at the thought and his eyes began to droop and he lied down on his side using his arms as a pillow and bringing his legs closer to his body to keep warm. Maybe he will even find that person. And with that thought he fell into a deep dreamless sleep. 


Sorry about the late update and the short chapter. Hopefully I can post another chapter between today and tommorrow. The next is finally going to have kai in it yay! All th other chapters were just sitting the scene. Anyways thanks for reading!