Chapter 1 : A devil in an angel's disguise

Beneath the scorching sun

Warning: Cursing, some gore


Minho groaned and buried his head underneath the covers stupid ringtone it sounds like a bomb is going off. Why on earth did make this his ringtone. Oh, it stopped thank god.  

Ring! The caller was definitely persistent, and Minho is willing to bet it is someone from work. He sighed and decided to answer his phone then go back to sleep. He tossed and turned in the bed, kicking off the covers with his legs before reaching an arm out blindly toward the nightstand and nearly knocking everything off it. “” he said as the water spilt on the floor from the water bottle. He finally found his phone, grasped it his hand and brought to his ear with a yawn. 

“What?”

“You will never believe what happened, Boss” Ugh, not this kid again of all the people to call at three in the morning, he should have guessed it was Henry. 

“You got three seconds before I hang up”

“No, wait –wait Boss, we caught him”

“What?!” Minho fully sat up, completely awake now.

“Is Siwon with you?” He said as he got the bed.

“No, he is out of town, but he says he will be here tomorrow morning at the latest.”  Minho quickly opened his closet and grabbed the first thing.   

“Alright, don’t do anything. I’ll be there in ten minutes.” He said before hanging up.

Minho never liked being woken up so late at night, no. He just hated waking up so early when it was a call from work, because it usually meant that something bad was happening, but this time he was wrong. He gripped the steering wheel tightly, until his knuckles turned white.  

He was dressed in regular suit with black trousers and a button up shirt with the suit jacket ed on top of it. His FBI sign on sight on his belt along with his gun. He didn’t feel like wearing a tie already knowing that he will loosen it while interrogating the bastard. His hand moved to the first button of his shirt.  

The weariness completely gone from his body replaced apprehension and slight suspicion. No way. No way, they caught the guy. No ing way! It was probably a mistake knowing Henry that was not out of the question.  

It definitely made more sense that him catching the guy they been after for years. Minho drove faster, not caring if he broke the speed limit.  

How? The word playing over and over in his mind. It has to be a trick; no way he would let the police catch just like that. The guy was a psychotic genius, the only way he would slip-up if he got bored and wanted a new challenge and escaping the clutches of the FBI sounded like a good one. Minho’s mind reeled, questions flying around in his head never giving him at chance to answer them. It all stared more than a decade ago when fifteen people went missing around the same time which wouldn’t a big deal people going missing all the time in Los Angles.  

However, this time it was different, the people that had missing hadn't been in any connected. Yet, they all vanished without a trace as if the earth spilt and swallowed them whole. What was stranger was that they were at their homes with people around them.  

The kidnapper literally kidnapped them in broad daylight where anyone could see him, yet no one did. The police didn’t think anything of it of course, just another kidnapping probably human trafficking or some gang since there was no ransom and no news whatsoever from the kidnapper. It wasn’t until a year later when a hundred and fifty-three people went missing all from the same area and all of them with different ages and different backgrounds.  Nothing to connect them whatsoever.  

The only thing in common was the strange symbol left on the wall of their bedroom, the exact same one left on the walls of those missing fifteen.  

It took two months for the cops to figure that out and by that time, the kidnappings spread out side of the city and there were two hundred and eight people gone missing the same way in California.  

It only went downhill from there, with the state taking four more months to realize this not just a small gang activity and action need to be taken quickly. The government assigned it top priorities, handing it to the FBI once the kidnapping spread all the over the U.S, with more and more people going missing every day.  

The case was first assigned to Siwon who has made his life’s mission to find whoever did this and make them pay.  

At this point, the entire country’s population was terrified, they could be next, and anyone could get kidnapped since the kidnapper clearly didn’t have a particular type.No pattern.  

The only thing that the victims had in common was that they were all ‘young people’ between the ages of four and twenty-nine. Suddenly, turning thirty became something to celebrate; it meant that you were safe.  

Some of the older generations were convinced that somehow the young people caused this and it was their own fault. Others thought it was God’s punishment for humanity’s wickedness, but those were the zealous,God fearing nutcases. But, even Minho couldn’t deny the fact that the number of people going to worship increased dramatically.

 Then there were the loony bunch that believed it was aliens and that they were slowly trying to take over earth by kidnapping and experimenting on humans and making them fearful and suspicion of each other. Divide and conquer as they say.  

Minho scoffed at that, and who could forget the conspiracy theorists who believed that this was all the government doing and this was all some sort of scheme.  

A scheme to do what exactly, Minho had no idea. In reality, the government was doing everything in their power to make the people feel safe; convince them that they have everything under control. It is hard to do that though to tell someone not worry, but then later tell them to never go out alone, especially late at night.

 In fact, some states issued a curfew not that made a difference because once again people were kidnapped while they were in their ing homes with no signs of a break-in. Not that the government particularly cared, they were all old geezers. They just needed to give the illusion that they were protecting people and that they were safe so they don’t riot.

Now after more than a decade with eight-thousand and twenty-five people missing, they caught the guy and what’s more it was only person. One ing psycho! Minho always though it was some shady organization, performing illegal experiments or something. But, no it was one guy who could overwhelm the entire U.S government, kidnap thousands of people, and leave the FBI chasing their tails. Yet he gets caught by rookies. How?  

Minho parked his car at the station and quickly made his way inside. The heels of black shoes clicking briskly against the colored tiles of the office. He saw Henry talking to a police officer. Minho walked to them, “Hey, Boss man” Henry turned to him, waving excitedly even though he was right next him, his tone chipper as ever. This guy is definitely not human, how can a person be fully awake this late at night and be chipper of all things at a time like this.  

“Where is he?” he asked not in the mood for small talk and already wanting to see the er’s face. “In the integration room, we were waiting for you. This is chief police officer Nichkhun, by the way.” The blond looked slightly annoyed that Minho didn’t return his hello. “He was on the scene when they made the arrest.” Minho shook the officer’s hand, “Nice to meet you”

Then he turned his subordinate, “how do you know he is our guy?”

“We found him sitting in warehouse filled with bloodied corpses. A civilian called 911 saying she heard screams coming from inside the warehouse and that a man came out of it completely covered in blood. I was called in after one of guys called for backup.” Nickhun was the one to answer him.

Minho nodded, “Let’s go then.” 

Henry jumped in excitement, “Follow me then gentlemen, I lead the way”  

Minho groaned and Nickhun frowned, “Is he always like this?”

“You have no idea.” He said quicken his pace he needed to see this guy for himself.

“You know I heard from one of my guys that he didn’t put up any sort of fight. He was just sitting there, staring blankly at the wall with that symbol on it.” Nickhun mumbled.

“Hmm… Do you think he is one of the victims?” That made a lot more sense than one person kidnapping eight thousand people. Nickhun shrugged and now Minho was even more anxious than before.

Soon enough the three of hem made to locked door with pad lock, which Henry unlocked, “After you gentlemen” as he held the door open for the two of them. Minho smacked the blond on the head before making his way inside. He said he wasn’t in the mood he thought as he watched the idiot rub the back of his head. Nickhun shook his head at the blond before stepping inside, the door locking securely behind him.  So that, if anything happened not that it would, but just in case the suspect wouldn’t be able to escape. 

Half of his team greeted him as soon as he entered, the other half were still half-asleep to notice that he had arrived. Minho looked around the room briefly, there was a wooden table where two his subordinate were sitting. There also was a small steel table in the corner with a two computer monitors and a microphone.

Minho quickly turned his attention to the big glass window and he couldn’t believe what he saw. The person sitting on the table in front of him looked no older than seventeen. He noticed speakers lodged at the top of the white walls as well four cameras set at different angles. He turned around to look at one of the computer monitors to make what he was seeing was true. Sure, enough the same young man with black bangs that stopped just above his eyebrows. His hands clasped loosely near his chest, and he was looking down at the white table as if he saw various fascinating pattern in the empty whiteness.

 “What is this?” Miho yelled at the room and several people flinched at the angry tone breaking the intense silent. “I know what you’re thinking, Sir. But he was in the warehouse and this is the closest we come to anything regarding this case.” Henry was the one to answer and Minho was shocked that he used sir instead of ‘boss’ or ‘boss man’. His anger deflated quickly then and he turned back to look at the boy through the glass. 

The teen looked up then and looked him in the eye, startling Minho slightly making forget that he couldn’t see him. His dark, brown eyes were dull as if all the light in them was buried under all the lost hopes and dreams. They could have belonged to an old man who has seen the world crumble to dust in the absence of morality, his entire lifetime. All the innocence and youth were gone replaced by weary sadness. They were haunting. Minho felt afraid of them, they held too much truth, a victim, huh?

"Alright, I'll go in and have a word with him." With a firm nod he took a deep breath and picked up the folders that were on the table that contained pictures from the old warehouse and the files containing information about the various victims and the people still missing. He went to the door a couple feet away from the screen and opened it. He gently closed the door as to not startle the kid. Then, he turned around to face him and the boy looked at him like a deer caught in headlights. Minho sighed before pulling the other chair at the end of the table and sat facing the teenager. He set the files on the table then cleared his throat, “I'm going to ask you a couple of questions. Answer them with clear and honest answer and we won’t have to see here until sunrise. Are we clear?” The teen nodded hurriedly.

"What is your name?"

“K-ky-kyung-soo” His voice was shaky and his hands were trembling.

 “Last name?”

“D.O”

On the other side of the glass, Henry watched nervously before snapping at another agent to hurry up and find the name in their database. “Sir, there were no matches found.” The agent replied after a moment. “What?!” Henry stood above the agent looking down at the computer monitor.  The screen showed those very same words in all capital letter and bright red

“Are you sure you spelling his name correctly?”

“Yes, Sir.”

“ Do face match then.”

“ Yes, Sir!”

A few a moments of waiting the agent sighed, “Still nothing, Sir”  

“What the hell?!” Henry snarled in frustration. “Damn, run this guy’s face and name through every database, every software. I don’t care what you; I just want you to find out who this guy is.” The blonde ran a hand through his head and then went to check on Minho.

Minho was frustrated; the teen had stopped responding to his questions after he told him his name. He also refused to look at any of the picture that Minho took out from the files and put it in front of him.

“What were you doing in the old warehouse?” Minho asked hoping to get an answer, but the boy was still looking down at his hands, not meeting his eyes.  

“How old are you?” Minho said as he slumped back in his chair not expecting an answer.

“Seventeen” Minho quickly sat up and leaned in, examining him. The teen quickly lowered his gaze again, seemingly scared that he now had Minho’s full attention. 

The agent rubbed his face with one of his hands, “Look kid, I am not going to hurt I just want you to answer my questions, so we can find the bastard who did this to you and —”

“You aren’t going to find him.” The teen said, interrupting the other.  Him, so it is just one person doing this. But, who and most importantly: how?

“We will if you help us, don’t be afraid we can prot—”

“Sir!”  

Minho turned around the interrogation room was open and Henry walking over to him.

The Blond put a hand on Minho's shoulder and tilted his head towards the door. Minho took this as a cue that it had been enough and he nodded his head. The agent took a deep breath and gave that kid one last glance. The boy was back to staring at the table. Minho sighed, before standing up and following the blonde.   

“I am not the one you’re looking for.” And stopped then hallway out the door. He turned back to looked at the teenager to find him smiling gently at him, his crescent eyes looked a snake’s body then. Something was different. The air felt strange, then it all stopped and the kid was back to trembling again. The agent was angry he thought the boy would actually tell something worthwhile that would help solve this impossible case. No Sherlock, of course you’re— and for a second he wished this kid was the culprit so that he could kill him and be done with this . He took a deep breath to calm himself then exited the room slamming the door behind him. He walked inside the other room to see everyone looking more aggravated than he was. Nickhun was sitting at the table looking like he watched to choke someone. 

“We could not find crap on the little runt.” Minho looked at henry who looked absolutely peeved.

“Nothing?”

“Not a single damn thing!”   

“ Maybe, he gave us a fake name.” 

“ We did a face match too, still nothing. We checked every damn database and program we had and we still found absolutely nothing!” Henry was getting riled up; his face was starting to turn red from anger. Minho had never seen like this before he was usually a laid-back, bubbly person.

 “Maybe he is not in our system.” Nickhun piped in.

“Maybe.”  

“Or maybe he is an illegal and that’s why he is not in our system” Another agent said.

“ Could be, he looks Korean.” Minho rubbing his chin in thought.

Henry scoffed at that, “Oh please, everything is in our system. We’re the ing Federal Bureau of Investigation, for goodness’ sake. Come one people get you head in the game.”

“You are complete trust in the system is quiet dangerous. It has been wrong plenty of times before.” Henry narrowed his eyes looking like he was about to punch Nickhun, who to his credit completely ignored the blonde and turned to ask Minho,“ How old did he say he was?”

“ Seventeen”

“Do you think that’s true?”

Minho shrugged, “He looks like it.”

 “Yeah, but we can’t be sure. He could one of those people that look twenty, but are actually forty.” Henry said looking a little calmer. 

“Well, he doesn’t look twenty he looks seventeen.” Henry glared at Nickhun.

“You know what I meant”  

Nickhun was about to say something, but Minho beat him to it feeling a fight might erupt between the two otherwise, “ Either way he looks way too young to be a culprit unless he started killing and kidnapping people at six and even if he way twenty he still be too young.”  

CRACK!

Suddenly, Nickhun’s eyes widened and he quickly got up walking to the glass window, “What the hell?” Everyone turned to the glass window to find that there was large crack in the glass and the boy rested his hand on the glass, his eyes were cold and his face was blank. More cracks started to spread in the glass, making web-like patterns. The woman on the other side of Minho was muttering silent prayers. The speakers exploded just before the glass completely shattered and all the power went out in the room.  

Minho heard a scream and he figured it was the woman next to him. She was too close to the glass. Minho searched his pockets for his phone, pulling it out quickly and using its flashlight. His assumption was correct when he saw the same woman on the ground, eyes wide open and several shards of glass embedded in her stomach and chest with blood soaking her brown hair.

Minho averted his eyes, shinning his phone all around the room to find most of his team in a very similar conditions with glass shards embedded in different parts of their body pinning to the walls or the floor like bugs; blood was oozing out staining the white walls and the clean floor. Minho swallowed the pile in his throat. He heard a cough and looked to see that Nickhun was still alive despite there being a giant piece of wood stuck in his side. Minho ran to his side, “ Hold on, I call for help.” He was about to dial 911 when a shot rang through the air. He looked frantically around the dark room, shining the light everywhere until he found a figure with blonde hair shooting at nothing. Henry! Before Minho could call out to him and tell to stop, another figure appeared out of nowhere and picked Henry up and threw the man through the now broken glass window into the interrogation room.  

Henry gasped as his body hit the wall and he dropped his gun. Before he could fall, however a large piece of glass came flying toward him. A sickening quench was heard as the shard embedded itself in his chest, impaling him in place.

 Minho started to take out his gun as the figure had his back to him, but he turned around and the gun flew out of his hand into the darkness behind him.  

 The kid, kyung-soo looked at him with those snake eyes smiling sweetly at him, “That won’t work, Mr. Officer.” and that was the last thing Minho heard before everything turned black. 

 

 


Sorry, it took me such a long type to update, I was busy with my online classes' exams. I felt so free today, having finally finished them and I decided to update this story. I apoligize if the whole mass kidnapping thing was weird, yes I know it is very far-fetched but just bear with me for a bit. I promise it will make sense later on. It was still awkard to write though. On that note, I didn't proof read the entire thing,so there're a lot of mistakes in it. Don't worry I will go back and fix them later. Anyways, I propbably won't be able to update till springbreak, so until then. 

Michi