Because I Belong with You; Part 1

Red Strings of Fate

He looked at me, that first day, like he had just found something he’d lost a thousand years ago.” ― Jennifer Elisabeth

 

Love, had never been something that existed in Lee Howon’s dictionary. It’s not like he had bad experience in relationship or anything, he was simply not interested to build any relationship—whether emotionally or physically, which would only end up creating an unnecessary attachment.

In 18 years of his life, Howon never once fell in love. As an alpha with a dominant nature, he could easily get a girlfriend or boyfriend, maybe even pick up a mate if he wanted to. But no one ever attracted him. He even rejected his childhood friend, Park Myungeun’s confession, because he thought Myungeun was merely a child who knew nothing about love. Well, not that Howon knew anything about it either.

None of this bothered Howon anyway, since he would probably end up being mates with someone chosen by his father in the future, after all.

But his thought gradually changed since the first time he saw him.

Since the first time he saw Lee Sungjong.

The first time he saw the boy was during the freshmen entrance ceremony. With those pair of beautiful eyes, milky white skin, slender body, and pretty face for a guy, Howon could not help but notice how Sungjong stood out among the other new students. From his appearance, Howon assumed that he must be an omega, or a beta, at the least, and Howon thought that the male was beautiful. It was the first time Howon thought that way about someone. For the first time in his life, his alpha nature was actually reacting to someone.

Howon later found out that the boy’s name was Lee Sungjong, and he was actually a younger brother of his classmate for three years, Lee Sungyeol.

It all started rather unexpectedly, when Sungjong visited the table where Sungyeol and Howon were sitting together during lunch. At first, Howon was surprised when he noticed that the beautiful boy he had his eyes on during the entrance ceremony was approaching his table while carrying his tray of food.

“Sungyeol hyung, can I eat together with you today?” the boy was seen pouting as he stood next to where Sungyeol was sitting.

Sungyeol raised his eyebrow at his brother’s sudden appearance. “Sure. But why? Usually you would eat with Jiae.”

Sungyeol’s question made the younger boy pouted even more. “Jiae is ditching me for her newly-found crush.” Howon—who pretended to be immersed in his meal, when in fact he had been secretly glancing at the boy, could not help but think that Sungjong looked very cute when he puffed out his cheek as he told his brother about his friend.

On the other hand, Sungyeol only chuckled at his brother’s story before shifting his gaze to Howon, who was still pretending to be engrossed on his ramyun. “Hey, Howon, you would not mind if my bro joins us today, would you?”

Hearing Sungyeol’s words, Howon immediately lifted his head up from his ramyun bowl and was now facing the two brothers. “Your brother? Oh, sure, I don’t mind.” The alpha simply kept a poker face while nodding his head and glanced at Sungjong briefly, pretending to be oblivious of the boy’s presence all this time. He eventually smiled when he saw the younger boy curving his lips into a small smile and told him thank you, before taking a seat next to his brother.

“Soooo…” Sungyeol started off rather awkwardly. “This is Lee Howon, my classmate.” He told his brother as he pointed his thumb at Howon. The beta then shifted his gaze to Howon. “And Howon, this is Lee Sungjong, my younger brother. He just entered this highschool a week ago, so, yeah, he’s a freshman.” Sungyeol grinned while patting the younger’s head.

After his brother said that, Sungjong dipped his head politely at Howon, before flashing a smile at the older boy again. “Nice to meet you, Howon sunbaenim.”

Howon could not help but smile again as he saw the dazzling smile that was plastered on the boy’s lips.

And that was it.

Even after talking to Sungjong just for a few minutes, the alpha could not deny that he was attracted to the younger boy.

***

Days passed and the two constantly encountered each other, especially when Howon hung out together with Sungyeol. But nothing happened.

As much as it was embarrassing for the alpha to admit it, Howon had no experience when it comes to love, dating, and such. So even though he acknowledged his attraction towards the boy, he did nothing about it. Of course, he could have asked Sungyeol to get him closer to his brother, but again, he found it embarrassing to ask about such a favor to a beta.

So Howon had no choice but to adore the younger from afar, even though it might sound a bit creepy. All he ever did everytime he and Sungjong encountered each other was greeting him good morning or good afternoon, asking him how had he been, all those casual and awkward talks. Howon however could not deny the way his heart would beat everytime Sungjong flashed that dazzling, beautiful smile at him. Call him cheesy, but Howon thought Sungjong was really the most beautiful person he had ever seen.

Things continued going that way until one day, he caught Sungjong watching him during his soccer practice. It was quite early in the morning and Howon decided to have a practice alone on the soccer club practice field. At first Howon did not believe his eyesight when he saw the boy standing not too far from the bleachers. But it really turned out to be the younger boy, since Howon could recognize him pretty easily from his distinctive feature. Howon was about to approach the younger boy when Sungjong suddenly ran away from his spot, leaving Howon dumbfounded.

And that was when Howon thought he should make his first move, at least to ask Sungjong what was that about. At first Howon was hesitant, but he thought he really should do it when he caught Sungjong watching the soccer club practice again, the next day. Was the boy interested to join the club? Nah, he did not seem to be the type. Or was he interested in someone in the club in particular? The only way to find the answer out was to approach Sungjong.

“Hey, Sungjong.” Howon approached Sungjong one day during lunch. Sungyeol happened to skip class for audition or something that day, which was why Sungjong, who was having his lunch with Jiae and her girlfriend, Jisoo, was quite surprised when Howon approached him since his older brother was not around. “Can I sit with you today? Can’t find any other empty spot.” The alpha casually asked.

Sungjong blinked his eyes rapidly, seeming to be puzzled at the older boy’s sudden request. He eventually agreed to it, since it’s not like he had any reason to refuse. “Of course you can, sunbae.” He answered Howon after glancing at the empty seat next to him. Howon smiled at the boy before shifting his gaze to the two girls who were sitting on Sungjong’s opposite as he noticed that the two girls were staring at him.

“Only if you girls don’t mind, of course” Howon cracked a cheeky grin at the two.

Jiae and her girlfriend, Jisoo, who were as surprised as Sungjong was, could only nod their head in response.

“Howon sunbaenim, right...?” after a few moments, Jisoo hesitantly asked the male who was sitting right in front of her right now, making Howon blink his eyes in surprise.

“Yeah, how did you know my name? I don’t think we ever met before? Or did we?” Howon’s eyebrows were raised as he looked at Jisoo

The girl could not help but giggle “My name is Seo Jisoo, sunbae. And no, we have never met before, at least not directly-- but you are actually popular among the freshmen—both girls and guys. Some of our classmates even secretly have a crush on you, sunbae.” Jisoo grinned at Howon before glancing at her girlfriend. “Right, Jiae-ya?”

Jiae responded her girlfriend with a nod. “Yes. Sunbae is especially popular for being the soccer club’s ace! I think there is one in our class who aims to be the soccer club manager so she can get closer to you.”

Howon could not help but chuckle as he listened to Jiae and Jisoo’s statements. Some girls and boys, both betas and omegas had confessed about having a crush on him before, but he never knew it was because he was popular for being the soccer club’s ace.

“So, do you girls have crush on me too?” Howon casually joked at the two girls, earning a fit of giggles from both of them.

“Unfortunately, I am only interested in this girl beside me, sunbae.” Jisoo winked playfully as she wrapped an arm around Jiae. They did not seem to be shy to show their relationship off at all, and Howon could not help but admire the two girls. At the same time, he noticed how Sungjong had gone quiet since Howon sat down on the spot next to him. Did he make the younger boy uncomfortable?

 “Sungjong?” Howon called the younger boy all of a sudden, and surprise was apparent on Sungjong’s face as he looked up from his already empty plate all of a sudden.

“Y-yeah, sunbae?” the younger boy nervously faced the alpha.

“I saw you near the practice field yesterday.” Sungjong’s eyes widened as he heard Howon’s words, looking like a deer caught in the headlights. Howon did not understand why Sungjong looked so… anxious, but he continued his words anyway. “Are you interested in soccer?” he casually asked.

The uneasiness on Sungjong’s face immediately faded as he heard Howon’s question “Mmm, yes!” the boy nodded his head, meanwhile, Jiae could be seen lifting up her eyebrow as she heard Sungjong’s answer. As far as she knew, Sungjong was never interested in soccer. “I don’t play soccer, but I used to watch soccer games with Sungyeol hyung and our late Father.” Sungjong curved his lips into a small smile as he said so, what he said was not a complete lie.

Howon nodded his head in acknowledgement after he heard Sungjong’s story. The alpha knew about Sungyeol and Sungjong’s father. Their father had passed away in an accident when Sungyeol was a freshman. Howon also attended the funeral, but he did not even see a glimpse of Sungjong at the memorial area. On the other hand, he also felt a bit disappointed because turned out that Sungjong was not watching Howon.

“If that is the case, then you should go watch our practice tomorrow.” Howon grinned as he said so. “We are going to hold a game practice with a team from another school. It’s going to be held after school, so anyone can go and watch.”

Sungjong agreed to come and he told the alpha that he would cheer for the team, seeming to be happy because of Howon’s invitiation.

If only Howon knew that Sungjong lied.

Because, it was not soccer that Sungjong was actually interested in.

***

Howon and Sungjong gradually became closer as days passed. The younger would constantly watch the older’s soccer practice, still with the same reason as he had told Howon previously, that he liked watching soccer games. As the two became closer, they also grew more comfortable with each other. Howon even asked Sungjong to just drop the sunbae title and call him by ‘hyung’ instead.

Sometimes, Howon would accompany the boy when Sungyeol was not around. Howon was not completely sure yet whether the younger boy was an omega or a beta, but there was something about Sungjong which woke Howon’s protective alpha instinct. Sungyeol on the other hand, did not seem to mind Howon hanging around with his brother a lot at all. Being a protective brother he was, Sungyeol acclaimed that he was glad that his brother got another companion when he was not around, as he tended to skip schools because he was busy with his newfound job as a part-time model.

It was not only Howon and Sungjong who had gotten closer. During lunch time, the two, with Sungyeol, Jisoo, and Jiae would usually gather and have their meals together. Their circle got even bigger when Kim Myungsoo, the sophomore student who was friend with Sungyeol, and Lee Soojung, Myungsoo’s classmates who got along well with Jiae and Jisoo, started joining them.

Howon eventually made a little progress by asking Sungyeol more about Sungjong. Despite the two getting closer, there were many things—so many things which he didn’t know about Sungjong. Aside of because the boy seemed to be too introvert to actually tell what’s in his mind, Howon did not want to sound too pushy, which was why he thought asking Sungyeol would be a better choice.

Besides, there was one thing Howon noticed. There were times when Howon would accompany Sungjong after the group hung out together after school. But Sungjong always refused to be walked to his home. That was something that made Howon really curious.

“I am actually a bit ashamed to tell you this…. But, our mother had gotten married again last year.” Sungyeol casually said after Howon asked him regarding Sungjong’s situation. “And yeah, she got married just a year after our father’s death.” Sungyeol shrugged. Howon gave him a nod before the other boy continued his story.

“And that man… we can’t say that he is a good man… All he ever does is gambling and being drunk. Perhaps that’s why Sungjong never wanted you to walk him to our house. He is probably scared that you will meet him. Even Jiae, who has been our friends since child never visited our house anymore ever since that man moved in” A line of frown appeared on Sungyeol’s face, ashamed of the situation of his own family.

“Is he that bad?” Howon’s eyebrows were furrowed as he asked Sungyeol. And all this time he thought that his father—who had been oppressing him, was the worst father in the world. Not that this and that were a right comparison since it was a step father they were talking about.

“He is that bad, Howon. I really can not wait for the day when Sungjongie and I can get out that house. Honestly speaking, I don’t really care about my study anymore. I am going to earn a loooot of money as a model and buy---or at least rent an apartment for me and Sungjongie. Just see.” Sungyeol grinned, a hint of pride could be seen on his face as he expressed his will. Howon got to admit that he admired his friend’s determination and struggle at such a young age.

And then Howon was reminded of another topic regarding Sungjong.

“Anyway, Sungyeol...” Howon’s expression changed slightly when he uttered the words, making Sungyeol lift his eyebrow.

“Yeah?” he answered Howon with a curious look on his face.

“Your brother…. Is he an omega?” a hint of curiosity was also apparent on Howon’s face as he finally asked the question he had been dying to ask.

Sungyeol blinked his eyes, quite surprised at the sudden, unexpected question

“Well…” Sungyeol started off. “What do you think? Does he look like a beta to you?”

Howon frowned slightly as Sungyeol returned the question to him instead. In the end, he hesitantly answered him “He is an omega, is not he?” It only took a nod from Sungyeol to confirm Howon’s curiosity.

“You have nothing against male omegas, don’t you?” Sungyeol suddenly asked, making Howon frown, because that question automatically reminded him of his father, who disliked the existence of male omegas.

“Of course not! What’s so wrong about being male omegas anyway?” Howon kept frowning as he questioned Sungyeol. He did not want the other boy to think that he was that narrow-minded.

“Well, good.” Sungyeol smiled briefly after he heard his friend’s answer. “Because Sungjong had been having a hard-time ever since our mother found out that he was an omega.” Sungyeol sighed as he remembered the event that occurred when Sungjong was only 13.

When people were born, their status would not be yet determined. Their status would only present once they reached the age of 13 to 15. Sungjong’s family, from their father, mother, and Sungyeol was all beta, so it was pretty much expected that the youngest son of the family would present as a beta as well. That was why it was quite shocking when Sungjong turned out to be an omega, which was shown when Sungjong went into his first heat the day he turned 13. Sungyeol and their father were fine with it, but not their mother. Turned out that their mother was one of those people who were against the existence of male omegas and female alphas. Those who hated on them usually thought that their existence was against nature, and that they would ruin the society.

Since it was revealed that Sungjong was an omega, his mother started turning her back against the boy. She did not even want to look at his son. Things got even harder after their father passed away, as the strongest person in the family who would defend Sungjong from his own mother’s hatred was gone. After that, it was only Sungyeol who could protect the omega.

Sungyeol eventually told Howon about everything. And it amazed Howon how Sungjong could stay strong despite being hated by his own mother. On the other hand, he also felt ashamed of himself, for hating his own father and ran away from him to get a temporary freedom. Sungyeol’s story also made Howon wanted to protect the omega, waking up his instinct as an alpha who wanted to keep him safe and make him—make Sungjong, his mate.

That was when Howon found his determination.

He would make Sungjong his.

A/N : hello, we met again! for those who subscribed to Broken Red Thread before, you would have known that Howon and Sungjong's first meeting occured when they were high school students. So, yeah, this story will basically tell you how they met and how they became mates. I hope you will enjoy it just like how you enjoyed Broken Red Thread.

As always, comments and subscribes will be very much appreciated. And apologize if there is any grammar error.

p.s : i am sorry about the lame chapter image. i currently don't have a photoshop with me. orz

the quote at the beginning of this chapter was taken from goodreads