The Play

Royals

“Stop hiding, it’ll only make you stand out more.  Nobody recognizes us.”

It had been… a month?  Mark didn’t really care that much about the timeframe, he just cared about the fact that he and Jinyoung were here and out of the castle and they were happier than ever.  Jinyoung had taken a while to fully recover but eventually both of them were able to get back on track thanks to the food and shelter graciously provided by Yugyeom and Bambam.

“This is weird…”  Jinyoung let his guard down and walked casually through the town.

It was the first time Jinyoung had ventured down from the forest where they resided and into the actual town half an hour away.  It’s true that they were princes but they were only princes of small settlements of the whole kingdom, so it was unlikely for anybody to recognize them in a town this distance away from their respective kingdoms.  It was strange, walking into town and everyone looking at them like they were just another person.  It took a while to get used to, but Mark learned to love not being the center of attention.  He finally felt free.

Mark had to remind himself that even though they had made it this far, he still couldn’t be too overly affectionate in public with Jinyoung.  “It’s nice, we’re normal people now.  We can do normal things.”

“What did you say we came down here for?  Food?  As in… we have to get our own food?”

Mark laughed at Jinyoung’s naiveté, he really had no idea what life outside the castle was like. To be fair, he wasn’t an expert either but he seems to have more street smarts than Jinyoung.  “Yes, we’re getting food, unless you want to continue eating Yugyeom’s famous ‘random plants we found near our house’ soup.”

Jinyoung made a disgusted sound “No thanks, I’m done with that stuff.  I’d rather eat dirt.”

“Hey, it’s thanks to that soup you’re better now, the nutrients were no joke.  You should be thankful.”

“…no.  Still awful, I don’t understand how you guys stomach it like it’s nothing.”

“I still can’t believe how angry you got at Yugyeom the other day after he tried to feed it to you because you refused to eat it; I really thought you were going to knock him upside the head with the soup ladle.”

“Are you kidding? He had it coming!  He was mocking me!  I can’t just sit back and take that kind of slander; he was treating me like a baby.  Where is the respect for your elders these days…?”

Mark just laughed it off and continued to guide Jinyoung through the droves of people to the market while he tried to cool down after the bringing up the incident again.

They were almost there when Mark saw something out of the corner of his eye that made him stop dead in his tracks.

Jinyoung was yanked back by the sudden motion.  “Wha, why’d you stop?”

“Look.”  Mark pointed up at the building they were standing next to.  “This is what you were searching for, right?”

It wasn’t very large compared to the buildings Mark had lived in throughout his life, but it was by far one of the biggest buildings in town.  There was an aged sign sitting atop that read Moonlight Theatre.

“Oh, a theatre…”  Jinyoung put the pieces together in his mind.

“You said you like acting, this is where they do plays and whatnot?”

 “That would be a safe assumption but…”  Jinyoung looked at the building warily.  “There are no posters up or anything, it doesn’t seem like any shows are going on.”  That didn’t seem to deter Mark as he went right up and knocked on the front door.  “Hey, wait!  What are you doing?”

“I’m pretty sure there are people in there, it’s worth a shot.”  Jinyoung seemed doubtful but a few seconds later the door swung open to a burly man who eyed them with contempt.

“You looking for something?” He said, looking down at Mark with an intimidating look.

Mark was full of things to say before the door opened but now no words were coming out of his mouth.  “I… um... J-Jinyoung...”  He looked over in a plea for help.

The man looked at Jinyoung who was marginally less afraid than Mark.  “Oh, sorry.  We didn’t actually mean to knock—“

“You…”  The man stepped out another step and stared right at Jinyoung.  Mark saw him gulp as the man scanned him with his eyes.  “You’re… so pretty.”

“What?”  Jinyoung now just looked confused.

“Are you willing to act, we’ll pay you?  You don’t need any experience I just… you’re perfect.”  The man looked less intimidating as he was suddenly begging Jinyoung to come with him.

“I am- I mean… How do I know this is legit?”  Jinyoung took the upper hand in the conversation, realizing that he was useful to him.

“Sorry, I know this may seem weird but we’ve really been desperately looking for someone like you. We have the perfect play to put on but none of the actors here can play the lead role, it’s just not believable, but you… you could save us.  Please, I’ve never seen anyone in this town as beautiful as you; once the show is done we’ll make enough money to pay you graciously!  I know it!”  The man fell to his knees and grabbed Jinyoung’s hand, completely unintimidating compared to before.

Mark knew that if they had money they could start to repay whatever they owed Yugyeom and Bambam, and it was Jinyoung’s dream to be able to act, no matter how bizarre these circumstances were. They exchanged glances and Mark wasn’t surprised when he agreed and the man threw his arms around him in a bone-crushing embrace.

“Thank you!  We need to start immediately!  Soon we will be able to put on shows again!”  He dragged Jinyoung by the arm into the building and Mark followed, only to be stopped abruptly.  “Excuse me, where do you think you’re going?”

“I was going along… he’s my… friend.”  Mark said carefully, but the guy didn’t look impressed.

“Sorry, I’m only interested in him, you can leave.”  Mark was dismayed but Jinyoung looked at him comfortingly.

“I can take care of myself.  I’ll meet you back at the house later tonight, I promise I’ll be fine, don’t worry.”  Jinyoung smiled but Mark wasn’t convinced, but he could tell there was nothing he could do.  The guy had his angry persona back on and he could definitely crush Mark with one arm if he really wanted to.  The sudden change in his personality made Mark certain that this guy an actor, a good one at that.

Mark sighed.  “Alright, I trust you.”  They smiled at each one last time before the door slam shut and Mark was alone.


It had been a while since Mark had spent so much time without Jinyoung.  One afternoon usually didn’t classify as a long period of time, but in Mark’s case he hadn’t left Jinyoung’s side for the past month, so it felt weird to be by himself.

It was already dark out when Jinyoung staggered through the front door.  He looked exhausted.  “Jinyoungie,” Mark said as he went to go pull him into a hug before he had fully even made it into the house.  “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine just-“He covered his mouth as he yawned loudly.  “Tired.”

He was grasping a stack of paper in his hands, and Mark tried to catch a glimpse but Jinyoung suddenly jumped out of his grip.  “Hey, no peeking.”

Mark looked at him puzzled.  “Oh, alright.”  Mark didn’t want to pry. “How was your day, did you get to act?”

“Ah, it was good, fun.  They told me I was a natural at acting.”  Jinyoung was fidgety and nervous, as if there was something he was hiding.

“So, you’re doing a play?  What kind of play—“

“Hey, Mark.  I’m really tired; they told me to go back tomorrow, so maybe I’ll just go to bed.  I’ll tell you everything tomorrow.”  Jinyoung interjected, before speed walking away to the bedroom. 

Mark stood there stunned for a moment, but brushed it off quickly and followed Jinyoung to their room to sleep.


“Sitting here moping is not going to make him come back any sooner,” Bambam said as he sat down next to Mark.  “You look like a lost puppy.”

The days went by and Jinyoung left every day to prepare for the play.  He said the more practice he puts in the sooner they’ll be able to go on with the show, so he wouldn’t have to worry about him being like this for too long, but it was still strange to Mark.  Jinyoung was still dodging every sort of question involving the play, and it was making Mark more worried every day as to why he was being so secretive.

“Sorry, do you need me to do something?  Chores, maybe?  I’ve never really done them before but you could teach me.”  Mark suggested.

“You’ve never done chores before?”  Bambam asked and Mark realized he shouldn’t have said that.

“I… just never had to?”  Mark was still horrible at coming up with excuses.

“Wow, your parents must’ve spoiled you.  I’m not going to make you do chores unless you really want to, but I can’t just watch you sit here all day and look sad.  Jinyoung really wants to do this, right?”

“I know, it’s not for long, but even a few days without him feels like forever after all the time we’ve spent together.” 

“How long have you guys been together?”  Bambam asked.

“Um… less than a year.”  Bambam tried to hide his giggles but he couldn’t stop smiling.

“You guys are cute,” After speaking aloud about his situation Mark realized how petty he must’ve sounded.  “Well, if you want something to do we can go gather more herbs for more soup!  I’m sure Jinyoung will be thankful.”

Mark realized he shouldn’t be worrying, Jinyoung would tell him if anything was truly wrong.  He was living his dreams he was sure he had nothing to worry about.

“Alright, let’s go.”


Weeks went by and he didn’t even hear from Jinyoung that the play had been scheduled, he learned about it from posters he had seen around the town promoting the show.  ‘Come one come all to the grand re-opening Moonlight Theatre, on Saturday night we will be putting on a stunning rendition of Cinderella.’

Mark wasn’t much of a reader, but he had read Cinderella when he was very young, hardly anyone didn’t know the classic.  Was this why Jinyoung was trying to keep it a surprise?  He knew he had a lead role too, could he be playing the prince?  That would’ve been hilariously ironic.

He spent even more time away these days but Mark understood now that it was because the show was coming up so soon.  Most of the time spent with him was cuddling in their bed together.  When Jinyoung came home late that night and climbed into bed Mark made sure to speak to him before he fell asleep.  “So, why didn’t you tell me your show was so soon?”

Jinyoung jumped, thinking Mark was already asleep.  “Oh, how did you find out!?”

“I saw posters around town, sorry if you wanted to keep it a surprise.  I heard it’s going to be Cinderella! Are you playing the prince?  You have a lead role, right?  I’m so excited!”

“Ah, well yeah, I guess.”  Jinyoung clammed up again and Mark patted his head affectionately.  He was always like this when they discussed it. 

“Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine, just a little nervous.”

“I know you’ll do great.”

“…I guess we’ll see on Saturday.”


To say Mark was excited would be an understatement, the theatre was already packed full of people all ready to witness Jinyoung’s acting debut.  He was so proud that as soon as he reached he asked if he could be let backstage to give some final words of encouragement to Jinyoung, luckily he found the man he had met on the first day and he was reluctant but he told Mark he could see him for ten minutes maximum, and directed him to where he was.

“Jinyoungie!  Guess who-“  Mark stopped dead in his tracks when he saw him, his jaw dropped open.

“Huh, Mark?!  Wait!  You’re not supposed to see me yet I… I can explain.”   Jinyoung covered his face with his hands and groaned.  “Sorry.”

Jinyoung had on a long blonde wig paired with a long dress, ragged and torn to fit the role.

Mark went from shock, to relief, and then he just started giggling.  “Is this why you were acting so weird all this time, because you didn’t want to tell me you’re playing Cinderella?”

“It’s weird, so weird.  I understand if you’re shocked but I had already promised and I couldn’t say no and—“

“So that’s why he needed someone pretty…” The realization should’ve been obvious to Mark.

“It’s okay, you can laugh, Go ahead.”  Jinyoung had accepted his fate.

“Jinyoung, I’m not laughing at you, it’s just funny that you thought you had to hide it from me.  I’m proud of you, playing Cinderella in Cinderella, that really a lead role.”

“So, you’re okay with it, dress and all?”

Mark got closer and pulled him into a hug.  “Honestly, you look really good in that dress.  I’m... stunned.”

“You think so,” He looked even better up close, his face covered in light makeup.  “Are you blushing?”

“What?!  No!”  Jinyoung was just cackling now and Mark realized he liked the idea of Jinyoung in a dress more than he should.

“I can’t believe I was worried about you being offended by this, and here you are loving the dress…”

“I’m not loving it.”

“Hey, time’s up!”  The man grabbed Mark by the arm and literally dragged him away, with Jinyoung still laughing about the whole situation.


Jinyoung was an amazing actor. It was his very first role but Mark could tell he executed it flawlessly.

It turns out there were no girls that worked in the theatre, so all the roles were played by guys, none of them nearly as pretty as Jinyoung.  He stood out, he could he gasps and murmurs when he came out in his fully decked out in his party dress ready for the ball.  Mark might’ve been sweating at the sight, just a bit.

Mark tried not to be jealous at the end when the man playing the prince went in for a kiss, the stage lights dimmed out before Mark could tell whether it really happened or not, but he hoped he hadn’t kissed anyone for real.  Mark’s heart wasn’t ready for that.

Finally, the curtains closed and everyone stood to applause, they had all loved it.  Bambam and Yugyeom were hollering and screaming next to him in support, Mark just couldn’t stop grinning at how proud he was.

Mark went to go find him after the show to shower him with more hugs and congratulations, Bambam and Yugyeom did the same. 

Jinyoung had already changed back to regular clothes and Mark wasn’t sure if he was upset or relieved. “Thank you guys, your support really means a lot.  Sorry, I’ve been so busy, I feel like I’ve abandoned you.”

“It’s no problem; I didn’t even notice you were gone.”  Yugyeom said earning a glare from Jinyoung and his fist up threatening to punch him.

“Ignore him, you were amazing!  Maybe I should try acting too, seems like fun.”  Bambam said, striking a pose, thinking it would show off his acting skills.

“We’ll be playing this show every weekend for the next month, it’s really exciting.  I heard it was such a success, even more people will come and watch our next shows.”  Mark couldn’t stop smiling looking at how happy Jinyoung was.

“You were really amazing; I knew you had it in you.”  Mark said pulling him for another hug.

“It’s all thanks to you for encouraging me to do this; I would’ve never been able to do it without you.”

“Hey, Jinyoung!”  The staff behind called out to him.  “We’re going out for a drink to celebrate the success of the show, you coming?”

Jinyoung looked at Mark apologetically.  “I won’t go, I know you’ve missed me enough.”

“Hey don’t worry about me, you only get to celebrate your first play being a success once, I’ll still be here tomorrow.  One more day isn’t going to kill me.  Just don’t drink too much; I know you’re a lightweight.”

Jinyoung playfully smacked him on the arm before letting go.  “I’ll make it all up to you tomorrow, I promise.”

With that, Jinyoung left one last time and Mark went back home with Yugyeom and Bambam.


“It’s getting late…”  Mark said to nobody in particular.

“I don’t think anyone goes out to a bar and comes home early.”  Bambam assured him, realizing he was getting worried over the fact that Jinyoung still hadn’t come home.

“I know but I don’t think Jinyoung is the type to stay out this late.”  Mark said, unsure if he was being paranoid or if he had a legitimate reason to be worried.

Three loud knocks on the door startled them all.  Jinyoung didn’t have to knock when he came home, and they didn’t get many visitors out to a house on the edge of the forest, especially this late at night.  They were all scared to answer the door, so Mark peeked out the window to try and get a glimpse of who it was.

Outside he saw a familiar sight, a carriage used by northern kingdom royalty.  “,” Mark immediately ducked behind the sofa.  “They’re royal guards.”

Bambam immediately ducked behind the sofa with Mark.  “I’m not exactly a legal citizen either,” They continued knocking even louder, Mark was certain they weren’t going to leave anytime soon.  “Yugyeom, go answer the door.”

Yugyeom cautiously went to answer the door and was greeted by a royal guard.

“Kim Yugyeom?”

“Yes, that’s me.”

The guard pulled a rolled up piece of paper and handed it to him.  “This is your official conscription notice, you will report to town in two days to officially leave.  This is mandatory.”

Mark’s eyes widened as he overheard, he saw Bambam muffle a gasp next to him.

“I don’t understand, why is this happening, and why so soon?  I didn’t even realize…”

“You will find all the details in that notice.  It is your duty to serve your kingdom if you are fit to do so, that is all.” The guard saluted him and left, getting back into the carriage and leaving.

As soon as they were gone Bambam ran over to Yugyeom, pulling the notice out of Yugyeom’s hand and reading it over quickly.  “What, this is impossible, why would the northern kingdom suddenly be going to war?  This is a peaceful nation, this can’t be happening-“His voice cracked and Yugyeom looked at him helplessly.  “This can’t be happening, no… Yugyeom you can’t go, you can’t!”  Tears started building up in his eyes and Yugyeom was speechless, so he decided to just hold him close instead.

“I don’t know what could’ve prompted this, this is mad! How… we don’t even have relation with the western kingdom.”

The whole time they were talking Mark just felt his stomach drop lower and lower.  “Wait, so everyone is getting notices, which means the royal guards are all over town?”

Yugyeom was still trying to console Bambam but he nodded yes and Mark suddenly felt sick. “.”

“Hey!  Where are you going?”  Yugyeom called out but Mark didn’t think, he just ran.  If Jinyoung was still in town he was in danger, he was putting himself just by going but he didn’t care about that.  He just had to make sure Jinyoung was okay.

He regretted a lot of things, living so far away from town, letting Jinyoung go out without him, not even asking him where they were going.  He could play the blame game all day but nothing was going to change the fact Jinyoung wasn’t safe.

He was able to make it to town in half the time it usually took by sprinting, he was tired and he didn’t know where to look.  It was quiet, it seemed like the guards were mostly gone.  He belatedly realized he shouldn’t have run into town by himself, he didn’t even know where to look.

Luckily, Yugyeom and Bambam had run after him, trailing behind, out of breath.  “What in the world has gotten into you, why did you run all the way here?”

“Where’s the bar?  Where, please tell me!  Jinyoung, I need to know if he’s okay!  Please!”

“Calm down, why would he not be okay?” 

“If they find him... please, just tell me!”  Realizing the urgency they guided him to the nearest bar, where they found the rest of the actors but no sign of Jinyoung. 

“Mark?”  The burly man he had met on the first day recognized him immediately.

“Jinyoung, where’s Jinyoung?”  Mark was panting and sweaty, he must’ve looked completely out of it.

The man looked grimly at him.  “I don’t know what happened, we were getting ready to leave and there were royal guards passing through town, they caught one glimpse and him and they suddenly decided they needed to take him away!  I don’t know what happened, they wouldn’t tell us, we were scared…”

The man kept talking but Mark zoned out, his soul felt like it had left his body.  He felt lifeless and broken.  His legs gave out and he fell to the ground.

Jinyoung was gone.