Chapter Three

Hauntings

Song Ji Hyo had had many moments in her life where she had felt as if her heart had stopped. Many of those moments were because of instances of fear or surprise, like when she had had a bee fly too close to her face when she was drinking water or when a spider had once dropped from the ceiling and onto her arm. In those instances, her heart would feel like it had stopped, her blood would rush to her head, making her feel slightly dizzy, and she would scream, her voice rising in pitch until it would break slightly.

The surprise from this moment, however, far surpassed any other moment in her memory. 

"Who are you?" the man asked again, setting the dumbbell on the counter and taking a small step forward. Ji Hyo squeaked and tried with all her might to disappear from view, hopping off the couch and backing up behind it until her back hit the wall, her breathing erratic and her eyes wide open as she watched the man before her. The man was frowning slightly, a crease appearing between the space between his eyebrows as he looked at the space she had been in. He took another half step forward, his hand raising slightly as if to either ward her off or grab onto her. After a couple more terrifying seconds of Ji Hyo listening to her heartbeat hammering in her ears, the man shrugged and went back to his room, opening and shutting the door behind him. Ji Hyo let out what she felt was the longest breath she had ever held in her entire life, her hand pressed hard on her chest, her eyes closing momentarily before she made her way back to the couch and sat down on one end, her feet pulled tightly under her.

How in the world did he even see me? Ji Hyo thought, her mind going into overdrive trying to process what had just happened. Does she become more corporeal when she sleeps? Is it because she can't hide her form when she doesn't concentrate on it? That would make sense as to why she would find out now because she had always woken up before any of the other people who had lived here and the man who lived here now woke up extremely early. Like, ridiculously early. 

"Get your head on straight, Song Ji Hyo! You just made a huge mistake! Now he knows that this place is— wait." Wait, wait, wait, wait. This could actually be beneficial to her plans. If he already thought that this apartment was haunted, then he would move out faster, right? Why had she never thought of revelaing herself before? It would probably run people off faster if they caught glimpses of her. Maybe she should change her plans around to include revelaing herself to scare the man more. 

The bedroom door opened again and the man stepped out, dressed in a pair of shorts and a long sleeve t-shirt. He walked to the front door and put on a pair of sunglasses before opening it and walking out. Ji Hyo stood up after he left and looked at the bedroom door, her teeth biting her bottom lip and her eyebrows tilted down. He didn't seem very scared when he left. It seems that her original prediction that he wouldn't be easy to scare was correct.

Deciding that she should probably get some more sleep, Ji Hyo went back to the couch and tried to get comfortable, shifting so that she was lying on her stomach, one leg thrown off the couch and her arms cushioning her head. 

"I probably shouldn't sleep for very long because I don't know when that man will be back, but man," Ji Hyo whined, "why can't he just wake up at a later time? Sleep is supposed to be good for you!" Ji Hyo shifted backwards some more before she let out a long exhale and fell asleep.

 

It was dark again and something had a hold on her shoulder. Ji Hyo threw her arm back and hit something. She threw her arm back again and grabbed the first thing she touched. It felt like hair so she yanked as hard as she could and a grunt sounded close to her ear, the hand on her shoulder tightened. Ji Hyo threw herself back into the person before quickly bending over, pulling the person's hair as she flipped them over her. Ji Hyo turned and started running back towards the last lampost she had seen that had a working light. A shoe scraping the ground behind her caused her to speed up, her feet pounding against the ground, the feeling reverberating up through her legs and to the joints in her hips. She stummbled, her left foot hitting her right foot, causing her to slow down for a split second, allowing the person to catch up to her, the back of her shirt caught and pulled. As she was pulled backwards, a loud growl sounded beside her before something jumped out of the darker shadows and hit the person, climbing up to get to their face. As Ji Hyo was let go, the person tossed the thing to the side and came at her again. 

"Why are you here? Do you just haunt my couch or what?" Ji Hyo shook her head. She had never haunted a couch in her life! Why would this person come after her for that

Wait. What?

 

Ji Hyo quickly sat up, pushing her hair away from her face as she stared at the man looking at her from his crouched position a few feet in front of her. 

"What?" Ji Hyo said, sitting back and wondering if she should just disappear. 

"I asked if you are just here to haunt my couch. I mean, that's okay, but it could possibly be a problem in the future if I ever wanted to sit down," the man said. Ji Hyo's mouth opened for a second before she closed it again. 

"Do you know that I'm a ghost?" Ji Hyo asked. The man nodded his head, his mouth slightly pursing upwards.

"You did sorta disappear when we saw each other this morning. It didn't take a lot of thought to put it together that you weren't just some person who broke in to sleep on my couch. I would have thought you were a hallucination but I did find my dumbbell under the sink." Ji Hyo smiled in triumph at the thought of her putting that dumbbell under the sink.

"That was pretty good, wasn't it? I'll bet you're scared of me now, right?" Ji Hyo asked, leaning forward slightly, a grin on her face.

"Why would I be scared of you?" the man asked, a confused look on his face. "You're so tiny. You're probably the smallest ghost around."

Ji Hyo stopped grinning and frowned, her hand itching to pull all of the man's hair from his head. 

"That was rude," Ji Hyo said.


Hello again! I feel like it's been forever since I've updated even though it's only been like what? Six days? Thank you to all of you have read, subscribed, and commented on this story! I read all the comments and they motivate me to keep writing. If you see any mistakes in this, I'm sorry and tell me because I don't have a beta looking over this. Speaking of betas, I've been thinking of becoming a beta for some people who need someone to look over their stories and help them out (for spartace stories, of course lmao). What do you guys think? If you want some help, message me or something and we can work something out because I'm on spring break for a few more days and I've been wanting to do something to keep the boredom away. Also, I really wish this site was like more similar to AO3 in how on there there're more ratings other than rated M or general, plus I like the layout there more too. Anyway, thank you all and I hope I can publish a new chapter soon!