Chapter One

Hauntings

If she had to name the thing she missed most about being alive, it would be the feeling of sunlight.

Well, that's not entirely trueshe did miss sunlight a great deal (the feeling of warmth, the way her skin would tingle on the back of her neck when she left her hair up, and oh when it would be a cold day and the sun would shine just right and it felt like everything would be fine). However, she still felt some of those sensations, no matter how muted they may be, and she was entirely greatful for that. 

But.

She couldn't eat anything. And that was the thing that bothered her the most. For the most part, anyway.

These were the thoughts running through Song Ji Hyo's head as she stared from the ceiling of the old woman who lived one floor under her apartment as said old woman was chopping vegetables in preparation to mix them in with the soup. Ji Hyo sighed as she floated down and moved the spoon that the old woman seemed to be looking for closer to her hand.

Ji Hyo had met this neighbor the first day she had moved in. She had been nervous to meet her new neighbors and when Ji Hyo had knocked on the door and was faced with a short woman who had a stern-looking face, she thought that she'd be turned away and told to never come here again. But when Ji Hyo had introduced herself, the old woman had smiled and introduced herself as Kim Chae Won before inviting her in for a cup of tea and something to eat. Chae Won had told her to not be bothered by the scowl on her face because that was just "an unfortunate expression that I was born with to help me keep my sons in line." Chae Won had laughed and told her to speak comfortably when they were around each other before showing her pictures of her sons ("Eight sons and not one of them has visited me this month!") and spoke about them so fondly that Ji Hyo felt homesick for her own mother.

"Aigoo, I should replace my glasses, I was sure I had put this farther away from me," Chae Won muttered to herself. Ji Hyo smiled and patted Che Won's shoulder.

"I'm glad I could help you today. Nothing much has changed since the last tenant left a few weeks ago. I still sleep a lot, and I know you don't like me sleeping so much, but what else can I do? Things get boring quickly when you're confined to some old apartment," Ji Hyo laughed a little while walking to the other side of Chae Won. She moved her head over the pot and gave the soup a big sniff.

"Oh my, this smells amazing! I can only catch a small whiff, but even with that I can tell that this will taste amazing. Ah, I wish I could still eat!" Ji Hyo sat on a stool and watched as Chae Won stirred the soup before tasting it and nodding to herself. Ji Hyo leaned forward, her elbow bent, and her chin resting on her hand. 

"I wonder," Ji Hyo said, "if I'll ever remember what happened to make me this way." She looked up and sighed. "Do you think I'll be this way forever? Or will I only live the life span I would have had when I was still alive? I keep looking for clues to remind me of anything that could have happened, but I feel like giving up," Ji Hyo looked over at where Chae Won was holding some type of seasoning container in her hand away from her face, trying to read the print on the front.

"Shouldn't do that! Oh, that'd be a bad idea!" she said, putting the seasoning back and picking up another one. Ji Hyo smiled, instantly cheered up.

"I know you didn't hear what I said, but you just cheered me up. Of course I shouldn't give up! I have to find my way out of this situation no matter what!" 

A knock suddenly came at the door and Chae Won looked up, a questioning look on her face.

"I wonder who that could be. Who is it?" she called, pulling her gloves off and sticking them in her apron as she walked to the door and opened it. A gray-haired man was on the other side, a large smile on his face.

"Kim Chae Won! How are you doing today?"

"Ah, owner, what are you doing here? Did I forget to pay the rent?" Chae Won asked, a small smile on her face at the joke. Ji Hyo rolled her eyes; pigs would probably fly before Chae Won didn't pay her rent on time. She had a strict schedule for everything and would tell everyone who would listen about the perks of keeping their own schedules.

"No, that's not it. I just came by to remind you that the new tenant will be moving into the apartment above yours today. He may not be able to introduce himself to you today because he leads a busy schedule and is probably tired, but he seems to be a good person, so try to welcome him warmly," the owner said. Both Ji Hyo and Chae Won gasped, but for different reasons. Another person trying to move into her home? It hasn't even been a week since she had gotten rid of the last one!

The owner looked up at the small clock on the wall and frowned. "Is that the time? Oh dear, I have to get going, I'm supposed to pick up my cat from the vet; that rascal thinks he can beat the other cats up when he's only half their size. Bye, Kim Chae Won! We'll see each other later," he said, walking to the left and going down the stairs, his keys jingling in his hand. Chae Won closed the door before walking back over to her simmering food. "So many people leave that apartment; I wish they'd just stop renting it out, there's probably a reason why all those people can't stay there for a long time," Chae Won was muttering to herself, but Ji Hyo was still surprised. They couldn't really be moving in today, right? People had to know that this place was haunted! Isn't anyone afraid of ghosts these days?

Ji Hyo quickly flew up, coming through the floor and landing in her living room, where movers were just finishing up, moving the furniture back and setting boxes on the floor. One mover turned back and called through the open door, "That's all that we've got. If you need anything else done, just call us up!" He motioned to his friends when he heard the distant call of affirmation and they left, keeping the door open. Ji Hyo stared around, looking at all the boxes scattered around her floor. If there was anything she disliked it was people moving into her apartment. I mean, I'm not even really dead, can't they just let me keep my own home?

The door closed and she was faced with the back of a man who was carrying two large boxes. He turned and set them down, put his hands on his waist, and looked around with a calculating expression.

"This will definitely work. Might have to change the paint on the walls, though," he said.

Ji Hyo hated him instantly.

 


That's the first chapter! I know it's slow and short right now, but hopefully I can fix that soon. If you see any mistakes, please tell me! Thanks for reading!