Giving

[HIATUS]Grow Up, Super Junior!

It’s the cold evening of Monday, February 13th, and Donghae is a hot mess.

“Daaaaaaaad!” he yells as he races down the stairs of his house, “What am I supposed to do?”

“About what?” Heechul shouts from the kitchen.

Donghae swings around the end of the railing and into the brightly-lit room, “Tomorrow’s  Valentine’s Day and I completely forgot!”

His father is sitting at the kitchen table with a pile of cookbooks in front of him. He rifles through one of them with a determined look on his face.

Heechul glances up, “Did you buy anything for Hyukjae?”

“No,” Donghae pouts, whimpering dramatically. He was preoccupied with a boatload of homework and a club event that happened this past weekend, and Valentine’s Day didn’t even cross his mind. But once he finally sat down after school today, he glanced at his calendar and realized that there was a big red heart scribbled over Tuesday’s date.

Heechul hums, gesturing for Donghae to sit down. He does so, and takes a few books off the top of a pile so he can actually see his father. “Did you get something for Appa?”

Heechul chuckles, “Your Appa always complains when I buy him something for Valentine’s Day. He says it’s too ‘cliche’ or something. So what do you think about me making him some chocolates?”

Donghae’s eyes turn into disbelieving saucers, “Make chocolates? No offense, Dad, but you can’t cook.”

Heechul scrunches up his nose, “I know that, okay. Quit reminding me. Why don’t you help me instead? We can make more so you can take some to Hyukjae.”

“Perfect!” Donghae chirps with a blinding smile. He will have something for his boyfriend this Valentine’s Day! (Looking back on it, he could have asked Siwon to take him to the store on the way to school the next morning, but Donghae supposes he’d rather have some bonding time with Heechul than spend money.)

~

The dishes have been washed and the cookbooks put away in the cupboards, so as long as Siwon doesn’t rummage around in the fridge, he won’t find any evidence. Heechul and Donghae have made the mostly perfect little cubes and stored them in plastic containers in the back of the fridge mere seconds before Siwon arrives home. Heechul kicked him out of the house an hour ago with no reason other than to take Sungmin on a walk in his stroller since it was such a warm evening for February.

“What’s that I smell?” Siwon calls from the front door, sniffing the air like a bloodhound.

Donghae snorts from his spot at the kitchen table, “Nothing, Appa! Just something I was making for Hyukkie.” He winks at Heechul, waving and whispering, “Later, Dad.”

“Wha-” Heechul cuts off as his son rushes up the stairs, and then bursts into laughter. He takes a seat at the kitchen table, amused with the fact that Donghae is leaving him to deal with suspecting Siwon alone.

“Heechul? I thought I heard Donghae?” Siwon asks, an expressive eyebrow raised, as he walks into the kitchen with Sungmin asleep in his arms. The baby is dressed in overalls with a baby pink shirt underneath, and he breathes softly on Siwon’s chest, thick lips pouting.

Heechul doesn’t answer, still overcome with bouts of laughter, which prompts Siwon to ask, “What’s so funny?”

Chuckling slightly still, Heechul holds his arms out for Sungmin, “Oh, nothing.”

Siwon places the baby in his husband’s arms before kissing his cheek. “Okay, I won’t ask then. I have to do some paperwork anyways. Don’t disturb me.”

Heechul cradles his sleeping son in his thin arms. Sungmin has a few small stains on the front of his outfit, and a stripe of leftover food down his chin. Heechul gasps dramatically, pulling a napkin out of the container on the table and wiping the toddler up, “What did you do, Wonnie? Min’s a mess!”

Siwon mocks him, making his voice high and silly,  “Oh, nothing.” Then he walks away laughing.

“You’re not getting any homemade Valentine’s chocolate if you don’t come back here and make me some dinner!”

Siwon pokes his head out from around the corner, “So you made me chocolates?”

~

Early in the morning, Jungsu smiles as he cuts plums and apricots for the kids’ lunches. Today is Valentine’s Day, the only day out of the whole year that reminds him of his love for Youngwoon. He has bought a box of cherry cordials for his husband even though he knows that Youngwoon will be more focused on grading complicated statistics midterms than the date on the calendar. Youngwoon wasn’t always like this; he used to take Jungsu out on romantic dates at fancy restaurants or youthful amusement parks that would put a blinding smile on his face and a skip in his step. But now, dates and gifts are rarer than A grades in Youngwoon’s class.

Youngwoon walks in with a pile of exam papers and a pen in hand. Jungsu’s heart sinks at the sight of the bags under his husband’s eyes and the turned-down corners of his mouth . Looking much more chipper, Jongwoon trails behind Youngwoon, a pleasant grin on his face.

“Morning, Umma! Happy Valentine’s Day!” the boy swoops in and gives his elder father a kiss on the cheek.

Jungsu blushes, “Good morning, Woonie. Here’s your lunch.” He hands the boy his lunchbox, glancing down at his clothes, “And I think you'll want to change into something other than pj’s for school.”

Jongwoon chuckles, ruffling his messy black hair, “I know. Just wanted to tell you ‘Happy V Day’ before Appa does.” He winks and then goes back to his room to dress.

Before Appa does, huh? Jungsu glances at Youngwoon, who looks entirely preoccupied with his stack of paper and more likely than not wasn’t paying any attention. He’s probably forgotten. Oh, well, Jungsu thinks, approaching his husband with chocolate box in hand, At least I know he’ll be happy with these.

“Morning, Youngie,” Jungsu cooes, placing a gentle hand on the man’s shoulder. His heart skips a beat nervously.

Youngwoon looks up, dark eye bags even more prominent up close, “You don’t usually call me that. What’s up?”

Of course he doesn’t remember. “Uhm, it’s Valentine’s Day, remember?”

Youngwoon’s face falls. “Already?” His eyes are incredulous as he turns his watch face over and glances at the date, which prompts an embarrassed blush to find its way into his cheeks. “Oh, uh, sorry. It’s just that I’ve been so busy with my students since it’s midterms and I totally forgot.”

“It’s okay,” Jungsu shrugs, somewhat content with the innocent look in the man’s eyes, “It happens.”

“Is that for me?” the younger asks, pointing to the heart-shaped box in Jungsu’s hand.

“Yeah,” Jungsu gives him a small smile, a hopeful grin full of unfulfilled expectations, “I know how you like them.”

Youngwoon takes the chocolate box, appearing slightly guilty, “Thanks, Jungsu...Maybe I’ll pick up some flowers for you later today. Sorry, again.”

Heart ramming in his chest, Jungsu shrugs nonchalantly, “It’s fine. They’re just store-bought chocolates. It’s not like I made them or anything. Don’t worry.” Although I did think about making them. Jungsu decided that it was better to buy them because he figured Youngwoon would probably forget, which he has.

“Okay, I won’t,” Youngwoon smiles slightly, standing up with exams in hand, “I’ve got to get going early today. See you after school?

“See you later,” Jungsu watches him go with ten-ton heart. His husband appears to be leaving in slow motion, and Jungsu doesn’t understand why he’s feeling so odd. It’s only one forgotten Valentine’s Day. Just one! It’s not like this day is the make-or-break-it of their marriage.

It’s definitely not, yet Jungsu can feel a shard pierce his heart as his palms are left empty and his lips untouched.

Youngwoon didn’t even kiss him like he used to. Whenever he forgot to do something for Jungsu, he would give him a kiss as an apology. Jungsu can’t remember the last time he got a kiss from his own husband.

And that thought makes his throat constrict and his eyes water. Jungsu tries to steady himself against the kitchen counter, tries to hold back the tears that sting in his eyes. What would the kids think if they saw him like this? The harder he tries to stop, the harder he sobs. His voice breaks and his breathing grows erratic, a loud pounding filling his ears. He collapses onto his knees, sobbing uncontrollably.

Jungsu didn’t want anything to change. He wants Youngwoon to hold him, to kiss him, to whisper ‘Angel’ in his ears.

He wants that more than anything.

‘Angel’ was his special nickname, given by Youngwoon upon their first date. Jungsu was wearing white jeans and a white loose shirt with ripped sleeves. Youngwoon told him that the rips looked like feathers, the entire sleeves like wings, and that he looked like a beautiful angel. The wordsand the manenamoured Jungsu, and the nickname stuck for the longest time.

So long that Jungsu truly can’t remember the last time he was called by it.

~

A single red rose in hand, Hyukjae holds a box of chocolates close to his chest as he walks to first period history. He knows that Donghae will be waiting for him in his usual seat in the back, with his bright smile and inviting brown eyes. The thought of it all makes Hyukjae’s cheeks and heart warm.

But in order to get to Donghae, Hyukjae must plow through a herd of girls with caked-on makeup and valentines in their hands held out to him.

Before he met the love of his life, Hyukjae adored these girls. He would relish in the affection that they gave him, bask in the glory of being one of the most desirable boys on campus. Now, though, he could care less. They are a nuisance now, always interrupting his romantic lunch dates with Donghae. He has yet to actually tell them all that he’s off-limits, but Hyukjae isn’t sure if exposing his relationship would be such a good idea. (Though they can probably tell anyways.)

“Excuse me,” Hyukjae tries pushing through, but they won’t let him.

“Jae, I made this for you!”

“Jae, I hope you like mango chocolates!”

“I bought a flower for you even!”

“Jae!”

“Jae, look over here!”

“I love you, Jae!”

“Notice me!”

“Date me!”

“No, me!”

Hyukjae’s mind spins as the girls crowd around him like a wolf pack surrounds a helpless animal. They pull at his clothes as if he is an idol. Their eyes are hungry and Hyukjae feels a constricting in his chest, suffocating and overwhelmed. He protects the flower in his hand with all of his might.

“I don’t want your chocolate! I already have a lover! Leave me alone!” he shouts, shoving through again. This isn’t what he asked for when he wore his leather jacket that first day of school, when he started learning how to ride a motorcycle. He didn’t do it for these girls, even though they like to think that. He did it all for himself.

And now, for Donghae.

He rushes down the hall, those girls trailing after him. Some give up, tears in their eyes at his harsh words. Others chase after him, eyes ablaze with anger and disappointment that their efforts were all for naught. Hyukjae doesn’t care. He only needs Donghae.

“Hae!” he shouts from the open door of their first period classroom.

The boy with dark brown hair glances up from his phone, then his eyes grow wide. “Hyuk, what happened?”

Hyukjae stamps to the back of the classroom, ignoring concerned looks from other guys and angry looks from the girls behind him. They had the nerve to follow him all the way here. He doesn’t want them here! His heart has already been claimed.

Hyukjae wonders if it’s about time to let them know that. Should he? Shouldn’t he?

Well, can’t they tell already? Hyukjae and Donghae are practically linked at the hip. Though they’ve never kissed or held hands in front of students, shouldn’t these girls be able to tell from the looks that pass between the couple that they are, indeed, together?

Hyukjae’s heart thumps as he makes a snap decision. He grabs Donghae by the hand, lifting him up to stand. Then, in an act of complete desperation, he kisses the boy right then and there. A quick kiss, just evidence enough of their relationship.

“See!” Hyukjae pulls back, glaring at the crowd, “This is my boyfriend. So leave me be!”

Donghae blushes, continuing their little show for the girls, “Here, Hyuk.” He holds out a small package, “Happy Valentine’s Day. They’re homemade.”

Hyukjae flushes as well, amused at his boyfriend. Then he remembers the box and rose in his own hands, “This is for you too. They’re store-bought chocolates because I can’t make any...But I got you a rose too! That’s, like, ten times better!”

The boys take their gifts from each other, faces red as the flower now in Donghae’s hand.

“Thank you…” they whisper in sync. Hyukjae feels hot in the face, even though this was all his idea.

But along with that uncomfortable heat comes a comforting warmth in his chest. Now everyone knows that Hyukjae is taken, and that Donghae is his.

The other boys gasp, and the girls either leave angrily or sigh in love with the thought of Hyukjae and Donghae together. Hyukjae places a hand on the small of his boyfriend's back, possessive. Donghae appears to shy away, but he places his hand at Hyukjae’s waist instead, a smirk on his lips.

This relationship is a continuous battle for dominance, and Hyukjae wouldn't have it any other way.

~

Ryeowook is only mildly satisfied with the amount of valentines that the day brings in. His class had their exchange right before lunch, and apparently about half of the students forgot to make valentines. The teacher scolded them lightly before declaring that this year’s exchange would be a tad smaller. Ryeowook didn’t mind at first, but when he passed out his Spongebob valentines with lollipops attached to the students who just sat down and watched the treats roll in, he concluded that this was unfair.

By the time he had made this deduction, the bell for lunch rang and his mind was overwhelmed with thoughts of homemade food, time on the newly-renovated swingset, and his best friend Henry.

“Wookie!” the first grader chimes from his spot on a lunch bench, “I got something for you!” He waves a shiny red paper bag with a white bear on the front.

“Ooh!” Ryeowook exclaims, taking the gift from him, “What is this?”

“Look inside,” Henry winks, holding one of the bag handles for him.

The bag is covered with tissue paper, which Ryeowook tears off, feeling as if today is his birthday. Inside is a mini giraffe stuffed toy, a pack of KitKat, and a few sticks of Air Heads. Ryeowook’s eyes alight behind his glasses.

“Wow, Henry! This is all for me?”

“Yep!” Henry beams. His missing front teeth make his grin all the more cuter.

“Thank you!” Ryeowook hugs the boy tightly. Henry has never given him a special valentine before, but he doesn’t think too much of it since this means one more stuffed animal in his collection and a few more candies for his Valentine’s bag.

Henry releases him, giving an impish grin, “You’re the only one I made a special bag for. Everybody else got packs of M&M’s.”

“Aww,” Ryeowook says, “But I like M&M’s!”

Henry giggles, “Sorry, I’m out. And you know what? I gave my last one to Mr. V instead of Amber.”

The elder gasps, clasping his hand over his heart, “Did she notice?”

Henry shrugs, “Eh. Who cares?”

Ryeowook knits his eyebrows for a moment, but then bursts out laughing. He can’t believe that he ever fought with Henry because of that stupid girl. The warmth of contentment in his heart tells him that things will always be right when he’s with his beloved Henry Shin.

~

Shindong never really liked Valentine’s Day. Meixiang didn’t either. She used to tell him that it was invented by the candy companies in an effort to reel in more revenue.

Shindong always loved her quirky little tidbits of information. She used to pop in with her random “Mei-points” at any odd time of the day. At breakfast, when Shindong and the boys were only half awake, she would say that their state’s flower was the golden poppy; after school, she would point out the different types of clouds. Always in her broken English, random facts learned from magazines, social media, or curious research. Her “Mei-points” were interesting, but at times, strange or unwanted.

Little did the Shin boys know that this was her way of coping with terminal illness.

Shindong doesn’t like to think about it. He hates being reminded of the way she called him by his real name “Donghee”, the way her incredibly soft fingers gripped onto his pudgy, clammy hands, the way she told him cryptically that she would be leaving very soon.

All of this comes back as he drives home from work as a school counselor. He doesn’t know what triggered the memories, but they are still incredibly salient despite having been shoved down into a corner of his mind.

He doesn’t cry, but some of the images make him want to. He had such a lovely wifefunny, adorable, and caringbut she was taken away so quickly almost a year ago. Shindong tries his best not to reminisce.

When he parks in the garage, he notes the orange-and-black motorcycle parked next to him. Hyukjae’s home, as he should be. Zhoumi should be home as well, having walked twenty minutes from his middle school, which means that he picked up Henry from Chen’s house. They have been doing this routine since their mother died; Meixiang used to be the one to pick up the kids.

Not again, Donghee.

Shindong locks up his sedan and closes the garage door. He enters the house and is met with a mild surprise.

“This is all for you, Daddy!” Henry chirps, holding up a big bag of valentines.

Shindong’s eyes widen, and he runs a hand through his hair, “Wow, where’d you get all this?”

Zhoumi comes up behind the first grader, “From school. We arranged all of our candies for you since we know how you like them so much.” Shindong notices a flash of something cross the preteen’s eyes: the unsaid “because Mommy isn’t here to get you anything”.

Shindong rests a fist on his hip, and takes the bag, “That’s a lot of candy. Are Jae’s in here too?”

Henry shakes his head, “Hyukkie said he only got one valentine, a really special on

“Henry!” Zhoumi shushes, “That’s a secret!”

Shindong an eyebrow. His eldest son only got one valentine? That’s weird, considering the plethora of candy that he used to get. And a ‘special one’?

“Jae has a special admirer?” he ventures.

“Uhh…” Henry trails off, and Zhoumi answers for him.

“Yeah. Some girl from the senior class has the hots for him. Must be his motorcycle,” he chuckles, expression still minutely uneasy.

Shindong feels like there’s still something that they’re not telling him, but it doesn’t seem to be all that important, so he ignores it. “Well, as long as she doesn’t break his heart, I’m okay with it. Now...let’s eat some candy!”

“Yeah!” Henry exclaims, then gets a cute, questioning look on his face, “Wait, but that’s your candy now.”

Shindong pats his belly, “You think I need more to add on top of this? I’m trying to watch my weight here.”

Zhoumi and Henry laugh along with him as they walk to the kitchen to indulge.

~

Kyuhyun hogs all of his Valentine’s candy, not sharing a single piece with his brothers, even when Ryeowook asked politely if he could have one of his packs of M&M’s because he didn’t get any from his classmates. He especially doesn’t want to share anything that he got from Max; the boy had the cutest blush and the largest smile on his face when he gave them to Kyuhyun.

“No! I’m saving these!” Kyuhyun says, sitting in his carseat on the way home.

“But that’s not fair! You got way more than me!” Ryeowook whines.

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

“Did not!”

“Did too!”

Jongwoon, sitting in the front seat, turns around to yell, “Shut up!”

“Boys, cut it out,” Jungsu says as he turns into their driveway, “I don’t need any of your fighting. Your Appa will be home soon, and if you keep arguing, I might have to tell him.”

Clamming their mouths shut at the thought of their other father berating them, Kyuhyun sticks his tongue out at his brother, and Ryeowook crosses his arms, glaring at the younger with fiery eyes.

“Oh, look who’s here,” Jungsu says, gesturing to the cherry red car parked on the curb. Heechul gets out of it, waving at them, and then walks around to open the back door.

“Sungmin!” Kyuhyun practically screeches, fumbling to unbuckle himself and tugging furiously on the car door handle. “Umma! It’s locked!”

“Calm down, Kyu,” Jungsu opens his door, “The baby isn’t going anywhere.”

Kyuhyun ignores him as he runs out of the car with his Valentine’s bag in hand, over the grass and up to Heechul’s car. “Sungminnie!”

“Whoa, Kyuhyun!” Heechul chuckles, lifting his son out of his carseat and locking up the vehicle.

“Can I hold him?” Kyuhyun jumps up and down so eagerly that his candies hop out of his bag and onto the sidewalk. “Oops!” he exclaims, picking them up.

“Uhm,” Heechul’s eyes grow soft, “Inside, you can hold him. Let’s go sit down on the couch, okay?”

Kyuhyun nods enthusiastically, “Let’s go!” He sprints to his front door, dropping more candies along the way. “Oh, shoot!” He picks them up again, hearing loud laughter from the porch steps.

“That’s what happens when you get too much candy!” Ryeowook sticks his thumbs in his ears and waggles his fingers, taunting.

Kyuhyun growls menacingly at the kid, to which the boy shies away in fear and runs into the house which Jungsu has just opened up.

“Kyuhyun!” Jungsu huffs, and the boy grins ruefully. Jongwoon just rolls his eyes, going into the house to find his little brother.

Heechul pats the youngest’s head, “Be nice to your brother, Kyuhyun. Otherwise I won’t let you hold Sungmin.”

Kyuhyun pushes his bottom lip out, “Aww...Fine.”

Moments later, Kyuhyun is seated on one of the cream-colored living room couches with Sungmin sitting on his knees. The baby on his rattle, tiny hands gripping Kyuhyun’s striped shirt. He giggles emphatically when Kyuhyun tickles his sides, falling forward onto the elder’s chest. The baby is so warm, like a mini portable heater.

“Aw, Sungmin, you’re so cute!” Kyuhyun grins, kissing the baby on his forehead, “Happy Valentine’s Day!”

Sungmin doesn’t show any signs of understanding him, but he grips onto his shoulders and leans forward. Kyuhyun can’t stop staring at how long the baby's eyelashes are, how round his button nose is. It takes the boy a moment to realize that Sungmin has connected their lips.

Kyuhyun blushes. This is his first kiss, and it's with a little baby boy instead of an older girl? Wait, does this even count as a first kiss? He decides it doesn’t matter; kisses from Sungmin are the sweetest in the world.

He pulls back, hugging the toddler, “You’re too adorable! Oh, I have an idea!” Sungmin deserves something just as sweet as his kisses. Kyuhyun reaches over into his candy bag, “Do you like Jolly Ranchers?”

“Nonono!” Heechul swoops in from his spot on another couch and grabs the candy from Kyuhyun’s hand.

The second grader pouts, confused, “Why? He doesn’t like candy?”

“Kyuhyun,” Jungsu walks in with his dishrag and a wet plate as Heechul hands him the candy. “Don’t give hard candy to babies. They might choke.”

“Oh…” Kyuhyun hangs his head, eyes meeting with Sungmin’s wide and round ones. “But I want to give him some candy for Valentine’s day…”

“How about I cut some fruits for him instead?” Jungsu suggests, “They’re just as sweet as candy.”

“Hmm…” Kyuhyun hums, checking the baby’s eyes for agreement. Sungmin cooes and smiles cutely, saliva dribbling down his chin. The gesture makes Kyuhyun feel warm as he sits with the precious baby. “Okay!”

~

Jongwoon enters Ryeowook’s room to find the third grader doing homework on his rug. His eyebrows are pulled together and his cheeks are puffed up. There is a pitifully small pile of candy behind him and a ripped bag on top of it.

“Ate all your candy, Wookie?” he asks, sitting gently on Kyuhyun’s empty bed.

Ryeowook glances up at him, expression softening once he sees who it is. “No,” he sighs, “I just didn’t get a ton, like Kyu. Some of my classmates forgot to make valentines.as much as Kyuhyun, that’s why it looks so little. I wish I got more.”

Looking at his own messenger bag that is hanging across his shoulder, Jongwoon considers satisfying the boy’s request. He doesn’t really like candy all that much, and he knows how much Ryeowook likes it. So he makes a quick decision.

“Here, Wookie!”

Ryeowook’s eyes light up when he sees the brown paper bag of valentines, chocolate, and candy that his older brother is handing him. “Waaahhh! But these are yours!”

Jongwoon shrugs, “I don’t need them. Plus, you like candy more than me.”

He relishes in the grateful smile on Ryeowook’s face: cute and cheery, with four little holes where baby teeth have fallen out. His eyes turn into crescent moons and Jongwoon’s heart skips a beat at his own little brother. He hands over the candy bag and then rushes out of the room.

“Thanks, Woonie!” he hears Ryeowook shout after him.

Jongwoon smiles. He loves making his brothers happy, especially Ryeowook. The two of them have been extremely close ever since Ryeowook was adopted more than five years ago.

Once he reaches his room, he tosses his bag onto his bed. It makes an unexpected crunching sound. Curious, he opens it to find the neatly wrapped valentine gift that he got from Zhoumi, and that makes his smile grow even wider.

~

There is a tight, sinking feeling in Kyuhyun’s chest as he hears words he cannot repeat. Heechul and Sungmin have left, Youngwoon is home, and a fight has started. Kyuhyun watches from afar, sitting next to the archway that leads into the kitchen. His Nintendo DS is held in his trembling fingers. The volume of the voices from behind is overwhelming, and Kyuhyun wishes he could press the mute button.

While some days he hates his family, others make him want to help them get along. Jungsu and Youngwoon have been arguing on and off ever since he can remember. The words that pass between them are sometimes so full of anger that Kyuhyun can’t imagine the romance that is supposed to exist. And he doesn’t understand it. Married couples aren’t supposed to fight, right? Especially not on Valentine’s Day!

The thought brings hot tears to Kyuhyun’s eyes. While he dislikes Youngwoon to an extent, Kyuhyun has seen the affection that Jungsu has for the man in the form of heartwarming smiles and his tendency to button up Youngwoon’s shirts. And Kyuhyun would want no less for his Umma than happiness and contentment.

So why do they always have to fight?

Kyuhyun sobs, scrubbing away the snot and tears. His heart aches and he needs someone to make it all better.

“Umma!” he whines, grasping the bag of candy that he forgot he was still holding.

“Kyuhyun?” Jungsu calls, exiting the kitchen with argument forgotten and on lookout for the boy. “Are you okay?”

“Umma!” Kyuhyun wails, reaching his arms out to his father. Jungsu picks him up gently, not bothered at all by the boy’s considerable height. Youngwoon watches after them from the kitchen table.

“What’s wrong, Kyu?” Jungsu wipes the tears away with his thumb, searching his eyes.

The second grader sniffles, and then replies, mouth sticky and gross, “I don’t like it when you and Appa fight...It makes me hurt.”

Jungsu opens his mouth, then closes it, looking away. He glances at Youngwoon, clears his throat, and then continues, “I know, Kyu. Umma doesn’t like it either. But that’s just what parents do sometimes.” He kisses the boy’s forehead, hefting him up a bit higher, “Don’t worry so much. It’s fine.”

“Okay…” Kyuhyun feels much warmer in Jungsu’s arms, and his tears stop slowly. Jungsu always makes everything better. He hugs the man tightly, kissing his cheek, “Love you, Umma.”

“Love you too, Kyu,” Jungsu smiles.

Kyuhyun suddenly hops out of his father’s hold and picks up the bag that he dropped on the carpet.

“This is for you,” he hands Jungsu a bag filled with about half of his own valentines and a glittery card that he made during arts and crafts. “I put all the candies that I don’t like. Licorice and peppermint and jelly beans and stuff like that. I hope you’ll like them more.”

Jungsu takes the bag and blushes a light rose, “Well, thank you. All this for me and you couldn’t share one piece with your brother?”

“It’s ‘cuz M&M’s are my favorite too!” Kyuhyun says, stamping his foot, “Plus Wook will get a billion cavities if he eats any more sweets!”

Jungsu chuckles, lone dimple showing. He bends over and kisses the youngest on the cheek. “Thank you for looking out for your brother’s health. Now run along and do your homework. I have to get going to work now.”

“Okay..,” Kyuhyun walks off with a blush in his cheeks and butterflies in his stomach.

Today is a great Valentine’s Day.


A/N: Please go read chapter 2 of my companion fic “Super Junior, Grown Up”~ It’s pretty important to the plot of this valentine’s day chapter, and a bit of behind-the-scenes of the KangTeuk relationship. I’d have included it here as part of this chapter here, but it has and yeah rating problems. Feel free to skip the if it makes you super uncomfortable...Click me to go there!

Also, i noticed that last chapter had no commenters! :-( COMMENTS GIVE ME LIFE, GUYS!! Please comment, I love hearing what you all have to say. Make suggestions, critiques, praises, anything :-D (maybe you didn't read it? lol please read the previous chapter first, it's about the SiChul EunHae and KangTeuk first meetings! as well as Kyuhyun's first meeting to the Kim family)

Love you all! Thanks for reading my family AU <3

P.S. Tomorrow I am leaving for a 3 week long family vacation. I will do my absolute BEST to update the next chapters in time, but I'm not entirely sure. Wish me luck!

P.P.S: Happy Birthday Kim Heechul!!! Forever youthful and beautiful ultimate bias...Love you! <3