Hospital

For the First Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook and I found an empty table near the back of the library and settled down. We worked in silence for almost an hour, with me occasionally asking him questions. “Hey, how do you answer #5 here?” I pointed to the question on the paper.

He took the paper and scribbled something on it. I looked at it, and he had already answered the question for me. Well, that was helpful. “Maybe you should explain instead of just giving me the answer, hyung.”

He didn’t even look up to respond. “That takes too long. You will understand through the answer.” I rolled my eyes. I wouldn’t want him as my teacher.

As we continued working on our homework, an unexpected guest pops up. Mr. Student Body President. “Hi Hyemin. Hi Jungkook. Can I join you guys?”

We both looked up at him, and then looked at each other. Wait, he knows Jungkook? I guess he knows everyone if he’s student president. I gave Jungkook a “how do we reject him?” face and he gave me a “I don’t know, he’s probably here for you; you deal with it” face. Eventually, we both spoke up. “But we’re leaving soon.”

Seokjin smiled at us and took a seat next to me anyways. “It’s okay, you guys can leave when you have to. I just need a place to sit.” I looked around, and most of the tables were indeed taken.

Seokjin looked under the table. “Is your foot okay? You’re not even wearing your shoe.” Right, I took it off because it was getting too tight.

I kept my eyes on my homework. “Oh yeah, my foot is fine. The nurse just put more bandage on just in case, so it’s kind of tight if I wear my shoes.”

“Do you need to go to the hospital? I can take you there now.” I looked up, and Jungkook met my eyes.

“No, it’s fine. It’ll heal soon.” I looked at the clock. 5:40PM. There was still 50 minutes until work, but I figured I should get out of here. I kicked Jungkook’s leg under the table with my good leg and turned to Seokjin. “Oh, I think we need to get going now. You can have the whole table to yourself now.”

“Oh, you guys are leaving already?”

Jungkook finished packing and responded. “Yeah. Bye.”

I swung my backpack onto my shoulder and put my hand on Jungkook’s shoulder. “Bye, sunbaenim.”

Once we got out of the school, Jungkook led us to a small restaurant to eat dinner before work. After taking a seat and ordering everything, I could finally voice out my thoughts.

“I don’t think Nayeon sunbae saw us earlier, right? Does he ever get to talk to other girls besides Nayeon sunbae then? Why did he come to help me this morning? That was so awkward, and we legit only met for like five minutes yesterday.” Our food came, but I continued rambling on as we ate. “One of his friends came over to me in music class today and offered to help me if I needed help too. Why are they being so nice to me? I mean, the nurse did say I should go to the hospital, but… Ooo, this kimchi fried rice is good…”

I continued on ranting and eating, while Jungkook continued to eat and listen to my rant. Actually, he probably wasn’t even listening, but it didn’t matter; I just needed to talk.

After finishing up the food and leaving to go to work, Jungkook finally spoke up. “Are you really not going to the hospital? The nurse told you to go though.”

Oh, so he actually was listening to me talk for that whole 20 minutes while we were eating. “But that might take a while, and I don’t have time until after work.” Then a thought just popped up. “Actually, I can go after work, since you’re going there too, right?”

He let out a sigh of annoyance before mumbling a “yes.”

“Don’t worry hyung, you’re free from me after we get to the hospital. I’m just going to check up and leave by myself.”

“Ask your parents to pick you up.” That idea has never crossed my mind, mostly because I’m still not used to having such a privilege.

“Maybe, if I have to stay for long.”

-----

For the rest of the night, Junmyeon had allowed me to sit on a stool in front of the cashier register and take/give orders only, so I didn’t have to walk and hurt my foot. After closing up the shop, we walked to the bus stop and waited for the 520.

This was the perfect time for some teasing fun. “Hey, maybe I’ll go visit your mom today.”

Jungkook looked at me in horror. “No.”

“I bet you’ve never brought a girl to visit your mom.”

“Exactly.”

“Not even Yura?”

“I’m not even that close to Yura, she’s Jimin hyung’s girl. Only the three of them have visited my mom before, like once.”

“Then I can be your first female friend to visit her. Just remember to clarify that I’m not your girlfriend.” He gave me an ‘are you kidding me’ face. “Haha, just kidding, I probably won’t have time afterwards to see her anyways.”

-----

At the hospital, the doctor gave me a full-on X-ray scan of my foot, and no bones were broken. I kind of knew it wasn’t that bad ‘cause if it was, I’d be doubling in pain for the past few hours. “Just apply ice to the ankle sprain once in a while and your foot should be okay in a week or two.”

After signing all the medical insurance stuff, I went to the bathroom before leaving. As I walked out of the bathroom and passed a big patients’ bedroom, I noticed a familiar face in the room. She was the woman in the picture that I saw in that abandoned bedroom. I was probably staring at her for a long time because she noticed me and waved at me. I don’t know what I was thinking, but I walked into the room and ended up standing next to her bed.

I didn’t really think through what I had wanted to say, so she initiated the conversation first. “Hi, are you here to visit me? I’ve never had a young lady visit me before.”

Well, this is going to be awkward. “Hi, I’m actually here for the doctor as well.” I pointed to my foot. “But I saw you from the window over there and you looked familiar to me. Sorry if that made you uncomfortable.”

She smiled at me. “Oh no, it’s okay. I like having people around me. I wouldn’t feel so lonely here, except my son should be coming back soon.”

Oh, so she does have a son… I hesitated before asking, “Do you happen to know Jeon Minwoo?”

Her brows raised in curiosity. “Yes. Did he ask you to come here and look for me?”

I shook my head. “Oh no, I … uhmm … I saw your picture in his house. Are you… related to him?” Did that come out weird?

“Well, not anymore. We divorced years ago.” A-HA, I knew it.

“Ah, I see.” I contemplated if I should tell her who I was, but I guess it wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter