Tomboy (Sunggyu)

Chance encounter

Sunggyu left the practice room to answer his phone. It has been a long day and he needed to rest for a while and get some fresh air. They have been practicing for twelve hours a day for the past week. On returning to the practice room he saw a delivery boy knocking on the door. “Who let you in here?” He asked in a sharp tone. The boy looked at him with a blank face. “Delivery” he said. Sunggyu looked at the boy or was it a girl. He couldn’t tell. His features were smooth but he was wearing baggy men’s clothes and a snapback. “I can see. I’m asking how you got here?” he asked “Through the gate” The door opened and Myungsoo appeared. “You came, hyung too” he said taking the food from the boy’s hand and dragged him inside. The boys greeted him warmly. Sunggyu followed them with confused expression “I told you not to work this late, didn’t I?” Myungsoo scolded the boy. The boy looked at his feet. “Stay here. I’ll take you home.” Myungsoo commanded “But oppa” He said. Sunggyu’s mouth gapped in shock. “No buts” Myungsoo said glaring at her “Oppa, my boss will scold me. I might get fired.” She complained. “Just sit down. It is not appropriate for a girl to work this late hour.” Woohyun said pulling her to sit down next to him. She blushed and Myungsoo about having a crush on Woohyun. “She is a girl?” Sunggyu finally said in a surprised tone. They all burst out laughing “It took you that long to realize.” Hoya teased. She just glared at him then she turned to Myungsoo “Oppa can’t you see no one can tell that I’m a girl. Could you please let me go?” She said with puppy eyes. “Yah, just because you dress like a boy doesn’t mean you’re one. Let us take care of you donsaenge.” Dongwoo said. “I cut my hair” she said in a sad tone. Songjong hugged her “You still look pretty” Woohyun said “Let me apply some make up on you.” Sungjong said. She nodded “Okay” Sungjong cheered. “Myungsoo, who is she?” Sunggyu asked “She is my neighbor, hyung.” “What is your name?” Sunggyu asked looking at her “Y/N” “I’m Sunggyu, nice to meet you.” He smiled. “Sorry for earlier. I didn’t know you were Myungsoo’s friend. I thought you were some crazy fan.” He said rubbing the back of his neck. “Hyung what have you done?” Woohyun asked.

You were on your way to meet Myungsoo and Woohyun. You had your headphones on. You were listening to Nell’s time walking through memory and humming along as you walked into Woolliment building. You didn’t realize your voice was loud until someone tapped your shoulder and removed your headphones. You turned around ready to give whoever it was a piece of your mind. “Yah Tomboy, if Nell hyung heard you singing his song like that, he would shoot you.” Sunggyu said. You scoffed “Not everybody is born with good vocals that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t sing.” You said and you walked away. You have been trying to avoid him. You couldn’t explain why your heart would beat faster every time he talks to you or smiles at you. You being yourself would shift into a cold persona every time it happened. It was your defense mechanism. “You’re cute.” He said pinching your cheeks. You removed his hands and he pouted. “You need to loosen up a bit.” He said snatching your snapback. “Don’t cut your hair again.” He said running away. “Yah Kim Sunggyu” you yelled as you chased after him. He stopped once he heard you “Yah Kim Sunggyu?” He said in shock “I’m older than your Myungsoo oppa. Show me some respect.” He scolded. You tried to take back tour cap but he raised his hand “I’ll give it to you when you call me oppa.” He said. You smirked then you jumped and snatched the hat and ran away. When you far enough you turned and stick your tongue. You heard him giggling and you swore your heart skipped a beat.

A few weeks passed and you couldn’t get Sunggyu out of your head. The way he took care of you. You met a few times since Myungsoo and Songjong invited you a lot to their practices. Sunggyu always made sure you sat at a safe place and had snacks and water. He went to the restaurant where you worked a few times to check if you were working late shifts. When he found you there he would drag you out and walk you home. Today was no different. You were working extra hours behind Myungsoo’s back. Sunggyu came and found you walking out the restaurant with heavy bags. “You still work late nights. Should I tell Myungsoo?” He said. “No, please don’t.” You said. You didn’t want to get nagged by Myungsoo or get on his temper. “You look really scared of him.” You shook his head “Oppa has been really nice to me. He takes care of me like his little sister. Since my parents passed away last year, he’s been paying more attention to me.” You said sadly. “You’re his neighbor therefore you’re financial state is good.” You cut him off “I work to distract myself. Whenever I stay at home alone my head wonders back and I end up crying.” “How old are you?” he asked changing the subject. You smiled “Take a guess.” “You look like a teen boy but I’d say early twenties.” He said and you laughed “Thank you for reminding me that I’m ugly. But you’re right I’m Sungjong’s age; 93’liner.” He about looking like a boy and he told her to dress like a girl.  “I find these clothes comfy. I know you like feminine girls but I like being a tomboy.” You said sticking out your tongue.

You arrived in front of your apartment with heavy shopping bags. Myungsoo was trailing behind you carrying more bags. “Just remember that I told you not to do this. In a few hours your house will be a mess.” Myungsoo warned you. “I have you oppa.” You smiled innocently “No way, I’m not cleaning. I’m already exhausted from filming and you dragging me into shopping and now cooking.” Myungsoo whined “Cooking is not your specialty. It’s mine. You can rest for now L. I’ll take it from here.” Woohyun said patting his friend’s shoulder. He greeted you then he took the bags from you and carried them to the kitchen. “Where are the rest?” you asked “Songjong said he needed to go home to get his makeup kit. I told the rest not to come until I call them.” Woohyun said.

 You and Woohyun were in the kitchen cooking when the door bell rang. You called Myungsoo to open the door. In a few seconds a smiling Sunggyu was staring right at you. You had to bite your lip to stop yourself from smiling back at him. “Since you’re here come and help us.” Woohyun said. Sunggyu pretended to yawn “I’ll go lie down with L.” “Oppa helped me shopping. What did you do?” You scolded “Yah, respect your elders.” “Tsk” you said “Just let him go.” Woohyun told you while he was chuckling. “I’ll be snooping around.” Sunggyu winked before he left the kitchen. “Don’t you dare touch a thing. Myungsoo oppa watch him.” You yelled. Twenty minutes later, Sunggyu walked into the kitchen holding a framed picture of you. You had long hair and you were wearing makeup. It was during your graduation party- a few months before you lost your family. You fought the tear that was threatening to escape. “Wow y/n, you look really different with your hair. You look like a real girl.” He teased. You threw him with a water bottle but he caught it and laughed.

 An hour later INFINITE members were sitting in your living room fooling around while watching the movie. Songjong and Myungsoo dragged you into your room and closed the door. “Let’s turn you into a princess.” Sungjong said joyously. “Hyung you pick up the dress.” He ordered. “Yah Songjong, I watched Showtime. Don’t you dare do to me like you’ve done to Sungyeol. I’ll kill you.” You threatened. They young boy laughed “Don’t worry. I’ll make you look beautiful.” He said confidently “That sounds more like an insult.” You said. “Sunggyu Hyung showed me that photo of yours. You’re really beautiful. I wonder why you don’t pay attention to your looks.” Songjong asked “Nothing makes sense. Everything is meaningless.” You whispered more to yourself. You’ve checked your wardrobe a few times since you officially met infinite but you never had the guts to wear your old clothes again. “Cheer up. Everything will be fine. Life goes on and time heals all wounds.” “Woah Songjong, you’re becoming wise.” Myungsoo said. “Myungsoo oppa, you know I’m thankful for you, right?” you said “Yah, don’t say stuff like that. You’re my little girl.” Myungsoo said ruffling your hair. Myungsoo picked a simple black dress and a white dress with pink floral print one. You liked the black one but Songjong said the white one would look better. Songjong applied the makeup to your face then he curled your hair. “Your hair grew a fairly from the first time we met.” Songjong commented “I stopped cutting it.” You said. When he was done, Songjong made you look at your reflection in the mirror. You looked beautiful and elegant. He didn’t overdo your make up. It was just the right amount and type. You grinned and thanked him with a peck on the cheek. Myungsoo was proudly staring at you. You went to the bathroom to change into the dress. When you came out, Songjong grinned “Perfect” he said in English. “Time to show you off.” he said.

The film was over and the boys were whining saying that they were hungry, even though they ate a store worth of snacks. Songjong and Myungsoo clapped their hands to get the boys attention. Songjong cleared his throat “We have a surprise for you. Please meet the new improved version of y/n.” They opened the door. You took a deep breath and walked out. Five pairs of eyes were staring at you with mouths wide open. “What do you think?” you asked. Woohyun was the first to move. He walked to you. He held your hand and twirled you around. “Wow, you look amazing. I always knew you are beautiful but that is way too beautiful.” Woohyun complimented making you blush. They all complimented you except Sunggyu. He said that you looked okay.

During dinner the boys treated you like princess; pulling the chair for you and serving you. You all chatted and laughed except Sunggyu who seemed distant. You tried to ignore the bitter feeling in your heart but it wouldn’t go away. After dinner the boys cleaned up saying that they didn’t want you to ruin your make up. When they were done they fell asleep on the floor. You giggled as you watched them sleeping peacefully but Sunggyu was nowhere. She caught a glimpse of him standing in front of her family photo. You slowly walked and stood beside him. “You look a lot like your mum.” He said. You nodded “They always said that but my dad said that I had his attitude.” You said “They seem like good people.” He said “They were.” You said. “Sorry for your loss. Where is your brother?” “He is studying in London.” “He shouldn’t leave his sister alone.” “I sent him there. At least one of us gets to live their dream.” “You graduated from college, am I right?” “Yeah, but finding a job is really hard and someone needs to make money for living.” “No matter what you should follow your dreams.” “Yes sir” You said teasingly. “Let’s talk in the balcony.” He said as he held your hand. You felt a shiver down your spine. You stood there in silence. He wasn’t saying a thing and you weren’t either. You didn’t know what to say. He sighed “I didn’t want to say this when you’re looking like this.” He said in disappointment “How do I look?” you asked in a worried voice. He turned and looked into your eyes “Stunning, absolutely stunning that it makes me dizzy.” he said “You wanted to talk to me when I’m a tomboy? What did you want to say?”  You asked “I wanted to tell you that I find you beautiful in every way even when you’re wearing snapbacks and polo shirts. I wanted to tell you that I don’t care that your hair is short or that you don’t wear makeup. I wanted to tell you that I like you the way you are. I love the way you smile and laugh. I love the way you hold back your tears but I don’t want you to do that anymore. I want you do and say as you feel. I don’t want you to hide your feelings from me. I want to know about your dreams and fears. I want to know what makes you happy and what makes you sad. I want to draw a smile on your face.” You were confused and shocked. You had no idea how you should feel. You took in a deep breath realizing you haven’t been breathing. “Honestly Y/N, I like you a lot.” He said making your heart melt.