17

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I opened my eyes, my sense of smell awoken by the sweet smell of chocolate chip pancakes. Joongki must have made breakfast, an apology breakfast. Not for me but for the kids.

I looked to my right and saw that they were still deep in their sleep. I smiled knowing that they could still sleep so comfortably even though they went through so much yesterday. I only fear the effect this will have on them if what Jiwon claims happens to be true.

I kissed the tips of their nose to wake them up, Lorraine smiled with her eyes clothes and pulled me into a hug while Jinki rubbed his eyes.

“Hmm do I smell chocolate?” said Lorraine.

“Your nose is very sharp baby. Your appa probably made breakfast for you and your oppa.”

At the mention of their father’s name, they both lied back down and hid under their sheets. It hurt to see them act that way, I know they have their own reasons but I won’t let them act this way to their father.

“Hey you two. Omma taught you to always love your appa, that rule doesn’t change no matter what. So, get up and go enjoy the breakfast he made.”

Lorraine was first to get up and walk towards the door. Jinki was being stubborn so I pulled him by his arm and forced him to get up.

We came downstairs and found Joongki who just finished cooking. He sent me a smile but I looked away to avoid eye contact.

“Good Morning babies. I made chocolate chip pancakes.” 

The two just looked at him, Jinki grabbed a piece of bread and sat in the living room couch. Lorraine tugged on my leg and hugged it. 

I looked at Joongki and I shrugged.

“Jinki, Lorraine, come sit in our table. There’s more good food here.” urged Joongki.

None of them made a move, Joongki looked at me with pleading eyes. I felt bad and so I decided to give in.

“Mmmm...all this food looks so good. I think me and Appa will eat all the chocolate chip pancakes since the two of you don’t want to eat.”

I sat down beside Joongki and grabbed the plate of pancakes. I took a bite and made a face that made Lorraine slowly walk towards the table.

“If you guys want some chocolate chip pancakes, you better come now or else I’ll eat them all.”

Lorraine finally gave in and ran to sit beside me. I fed her a piece of the pancake and she grabbed some more.

“How is it Rain?” Joongki asked.

“It’s good Appa. Thank you.” 

I noticed Joongki’s eyes light up when his daughter finally gave him the attention she always gave him. It must be so painful for him to be rejected by his children when he just gained their trust.

“JINKI OPPA COME JOIN US! I’m gonna finish all the pancake.” yelled Lorraine as she turned towards her brother.

Jinki looked at her with disdain and he stood up. I thought he was going to join us but he started to walk towards the stairs.

“Song Jinki, where do you think you’re going?” I asked.

“To a place where people don’t pretend like everything’s okay.”

I was taken aback, this was the first time Jinki had ever shown me attitude. 

“Excuse me young man?” 

“You heard me mom. You’re all fake. You act like everything’s okay when it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter