The Queen's Awaiting Betrayal

Pillars of Pawns

The next morning, Jongin encountered Hyeri in the middle of the streets, walking to school. He quickly told hid driver to drop him off near Hyeri, saying that he would walk with his friend. Once the driver dropped him off, Jongin jogged over to Hyeri and tapped her shoulder. He gave her a smile while Hyeri looked at her in surprise.

"Jongin? Where's your ride?" Hyeri asked.

"I told my driver to drop me off so that I can walk with you," Jongin explained. "Where's yours/"

Hyeri flinched. "Oh, um… I thought walking would be better these days. I need to lose some weight."

"You?" Jongin said, surprised. "You don't need to lose any weight."

"Well, I have to look my best in spring."

"It's not even winter yet."

"It's winter in a few weeks," Hyeri reminded him. "I know that I'm going to end up eating a lot during the winter break, so I need to start losing weight now in order to not feel fat during winter break. When spring comes, it means that the Miss Inki Competition will take place for the third years. A lot of people are expecting me to win, and I want to look my best for that day."

"I don't really understand, but do whatever makes you feel happy, I guess. Just don't go around fainting," he told her. He kept quiet for a few minutes. "I never really understood the point of the Miss Inki Competition. It sounds more like a popularity contest to me."

"That's because it is a popularity contest," she said, rolling her eyes. "But to me, it's not just that. It shows that the entire school sees me as someone who deserves the title of Miss Inki. It'll show that my efforts and contributions to getting along with people is worth it."

"I still think it's kind of pity," Jongin muttered under his breath.

Hyeri smirked. "You don't understand. I think it's okay if you don't understand for now."

Jongin only smiled. As the two walked, he suddenly remembered his conversation with Naeun from yesterday.

"Oh yeah. Naeun said that you had an emergency phone call yesterday and left early. What happened?" he asked.

She pressed her lips together. "Oh, nothing much."

"Really? 'Nothing much' is going to be your response?" Jongin frowned. "You know, if there's anything I can do for you, let me know. I don't want to be a burden to you. I'm your friend, remember?"

Ah, but I want to more than that, Hyeri thought. She only gave him a smile. "Thanks, Jongin. I'll let you know when I need your support if the time comes."

"Of course. I'll definitely help you out," he said. He paused, then frowned again. "Oh, yeah. I know we're friends, but can you not spread things about me?"

"What do you mean/" Hyeri asked innocently, blinking her eyes.

"Like, don't tell people that I'm interested in someone…"

"I never told anyone," she answered earnestly.

"Come on, Hyeri. I've only told you and Sehun about it, and I know that Sehun isn't the type to let the cat out of the bag."

"I'm serious, Jongin. I never told anyone."

"Hyeri, at least own up to it. I know it was you. I'm not mad. I just don't want it to happen again," he said.

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Maybe you should talk about this in a more private area next time. I mean, think about it. We were in a classroom when this happened. Don't you think that there could've been a possible chance that someone eavesdropped on us?"

"Why would they do that?" he asked.

"I hope you're joking," she mumbled.

"Oh, I see Sehun's car coming," Jongin said with his eyes over his shoulder.

Hyeri turned and saw Sehun's vehicle drive up to them. It started slowing down when it neared the two, and when the two stopped walking, the car stopped. Sehun got out from the back seat and pointed to his car.

"Hey! You two want a ride?" Sehun asked.

"I'm walking today," Hyeri said. I don't want to give up the opportunity of taking my time and walking with Jongin.

"I'll take one," Jongin said.

Oh. Disappointment fell across Hyeri's face while Sehun smirked.

"Hop in," he said to Jongin. Sehun looked at Hyeri. "You sure you don't want a ride?"

"Yeah, get it, Hyeri," Jongin urged. 

Hyeri forced a weak smile. "No, I'm good. I'll just walk."

"Suit yourself," Sehun said, shrugging his shoulders. Jongin entered from the other side of the car while Sehun went back into the vehicle. When the two boys settled in, Sehun ordered his driver to drive on.

After Sehun and Jongin disappeared over the hill, Hyeri couldn't help but think about what Jongin said. She pursed her lips and continued walking, wondering who could've leaked out the information that Jongin was interested in someone.

The only people I know who sit around Jongin is me, Sehun, Naeun, Suzy, and Jinri. At the time Jongin told me was interested in someone, I was still friends with Jinri, but not with Seunghwan. So it's possible that Jinri was eavesdropping, but if I remember correctly, she was chatting a lot with Suzy. Which leaves Naeun, but Naeun isn't the kind of person to spread things like that around. 

She paused.

Oh. I guess that leaves Sehun, but Jongin doesn't believe that it was Sehun. So who could it be…?

She continued to walk and ponder on the question for a little while. Then, she let out a small sigh and had a look of determination on her face.

Well, this isn't good. If people know that Jongin is interested, then I need to hurry up and confess to him, Hyeri thought. She stopped her trail of thoughts, then blushed. Confessing. Oh my gosh. I might get myself a boyfriend.

With happier thoughts, she skipped her way to school, her face beaming at the thought of getting together with Jongin in the near future.

/ / / / /

"Ugh."

Sehun smiled when he saw Seulgi's disgusted expression. It was so obvious that Seulgi didn't want to see Sehun first thing in the morning, but there was nothing that could be done about the situation. He found himself grinning from ear to ear, his whole face brightening at the sight of the most amusing girl he had ever met.

"Well, that's a rude expression to make to your fellow classmate," Sehun said.

"We're not even in the same class," Seulgi muttered.

"We should be," he said. "It'd be a lot fun."

Seulgi faked a loud laugh. "I'm so glad we're in our third year so that I won't have to be worried of us being in the same class next year. After this year, I'll never see you again."

"Unless we go to the same college," Sehun said with a cheeky smile.

"Please, god, no," Seulgi grunted. She glanced nervously at Jongin. "O-Oh, but Jongin, I wish we were in the same class this year. It would've been a lot of fun meeting you like that and getting along with you as classmates."

"Yeah, it would've been nice," the popular boy replied. There wasn't any sincerity in his voice. It was more like he was saying it out of politeness.

Nevertheless, Seulgi's heart skipped a beat, taking his words seriously and treating it with upmost care. She blushed and shyly bit her bottom lip, leaving Sehun slightly annoyed.

How come she's so easily moved when Jongin says something, but not with me? he wondered. Like, I know you like him, but seriously?

Seconds later, a figure rushed past the two boys and grabbed ahold of Seulgi's arm. Soojung appeared before their eyes, seemingly anxious to speak with Seulgi soon.

"Seulgi, I need to talk to you," Soojung said. She turned to the boys and gave them a small nod. Out of instinct, the boys only nodded back, surprised at her sudden appearance.

Just when Soojung was about to swipe Seulgi away from the boys, Sehun automatically grabbed for Seulgi's other arm, preventing the girl from running off so quickly. Soojung frowned while Seulgi stared down at her sleeves.

Nice, Sehun! Jongin thought, internally screaming and praising his friend. That just meant that he would be able to see Soojung for a bit longer.

"Um, can I help you?" Seulgi asked Sehun, confused.

He let out a small gasp before letting go. Soojung pulled Seulgi closer to her and protectively stood in front of her.

"Do you need something from us?" Soojung asked him impatiently.

"N-No," he muttered, looking away. "Take her."

She gave him a skeptical look. "Are you sure?"

"Y-Yeah."

"Are you up to something?" she asked in a low voice, making sure that Jongin couldn't hear.

"I'm not," Sehun said.

She stared at him for a bit longer. "Something about you changed."

His cheeks reddened. "I didn't change, okay? I didn't! There's nothing going on with me!"

Why is he getting so defensive? Soojung wondered. Her eyes narrowed.  I should investigate this later.

"Well, then I'm taking Seulgi away," Soojung told him.

"Yeah, whatever," he mumbled.

"Wait—" Jongin stopped and withdrew his statement when Soojung started running off with Seulgi. God damn it. She ran away again.

"Are you two still talking to Seulgi?"

The boys turned and found Suzy and Naeun walking over to them. Suzy had her arms crossed as she glared at the boys, while Naeun gave them a warm smile for the morning.

"Well, it's more like I'm messing with her," Sehun said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"She's no good. You guys shouldn't talk to her," Suzy warned him. "Don't get involved with her."

"Just because Hyeri said that she was a bad influence, doesn't mean that she is," Sehun argued.

"I don't like her. Everything was peaceful and fine until she appeared. Have you noticed that Hyeri's gotten a lot more quiet these days? It's like she's being dulled down to nothing," said the brunette.

"I'm sure we don't need to worry about it," Naeun said. "If we did, then Hyeri would've told us. She's not the type to keep her feelings all bottled up."

"But that's exactly what she's been doing these days. I asked her about the emergency phone call she got yesterday, but she only told me that it was a 'bluff' and 'nothing was wrong.' Like, I know she's rich and all, but an emergency phone call that requires her to leave school isn't a simple 'bluff.'"

Hyeri didn't tell Suzy? Wow. It must've been pretty bad, Jongin thought, remembering how Hyeri had also tried to avoid talking about her emergency phone call. 

"I'm seriously worried," Suzy continued, letting out a heavy sigh. "She's been walking to school a lot these days. I thought that her father might be going through financial problems and couldn't afford her a driver, but when I checked with my dad, her father was doing completely fine. She keeps going home as soon as possible."

"She always went home early," Naeun pointed out.

"I know, but these days, she's been going as early as possible. It used to be that she could hang out for an hour or two after school with us, but she doesn't even do that anymore. She heads straight to home. I asked if I could visit her house, but she keeps telling me that I can't because her room is messy. I'm so sure that she's hiding something and I want to talk about it with her, but she doesn't want to." Suzy inhaled through the nose. "Well, if she's not opening up, then I guess the only thing I can do is just stand by her side and be there for her."

"It's frustrating when your best friend doesn't share everything with you, isn't it?" Naeun said sympathetically.

"Well, we've been friends since we were kids. I would think that she could be a little more trusting of me." Suzy stopped and looked at Naeun. "I'm not saying that you're a worse friend for not being her childhood friend, okay? You're as equally as important to me and Hyeri. I treasure both of you."

"Oh, I understand. Don't worry," Naeun said, smiling.

Suzy grinned. "Thanks. I knew you'd understand."

"Well, if her financial situation is fine, then it must be some personal thing that she's going through," Jongin guessed.

"You should talk to her," Suzy said, eying Jongin carefully. "I'm sure that she'll open up to you."

He laughed. "I tried this morning. She didn't say much."

"Really? Not even you?" Suzy asked, surprised.

"Well, I'm not that special or close to her," Jongin said.

"Oh, trust you. You're special." She made a snort as the group entered the building. "Well, my shoe locker is over there. I'll see you in class, Jongin."

"See you soon, Jongin," Naeun added.

"See you," he replied as the girls made their way to the other side.

"I totally feel like I'm included," Sehun said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Come on, Sehun. Don't be like that," Jongin said, giving him a small nudge.

"I was just kidding," Sehun said.

/ / / / /

As Suzy and Naeun returned to class, Naeun stopped in front of the bathroom. The girls stopped for a moment and frowned when the scent of cigarettes hit the air. Suzy rolled her up her sleeves and was about to enter until Naeun stopped her.

"Let me take care of this," Naeun said.

"You can't. You're probably going to let them off with a simple, 'You can't smoke at school' or something. You really need to teach these guys a lesson for smoking at school," Suzy said. "I'm not saying to use violence, but fear needs to be enforced in these types of situation."

"But it's the first time we're catching this," Naeun said. "Let me take care of it. You should go back in case Hyeri's in class, waiting for us."

Suzy pondered on Naeun's words for a second before sighing. "Okay, fine. I'll head back first. If things get too rough, find someone to get help, okay?"

"Don't worry, Suzy. I believe in the good in people," the gentle girl said.

"Yeah, well, I don't," Suzy muttered. She left Naeun alone, heading straight to class.

Naeun didn't even pause at the door. She opened, letting the scent of smoke hit her nose. A frown appeared on her face, but a look of surprise quickly shadowed her dark expression. Jinri was near the window, holding a lit cigarette in her eyes. Jinri's eyes went wide as she quickly put out the light. She hid the crumbled stick behind her back and cough.

"N-Naeun!" Jinri exclaimed.

"You…smoke?" Naeun asked in disbelief.

"N-No. It's not. I-It's not that," Jinri said. "It's c-chocolate."

"It smells like smoke?"

"M-Minzy and, uh, Y-Yezy were here. They smoked," Jinri said. She coughed and covered with her fist. "I-I didn't smoke."

"Jinri, how could you?" Naeun asked, running her fingers through her long hair. "You betrayed Hyeri and now you smoke?"

"I didn't betray her. She betrayed me," Jinri argued. "Also, it's not smoke."

"Jinri, I can see it clear as day. Do not lie to me," Naeun said seriously.

Jinri sulked. "I'm sorry. I… It's been hard."

Naeun sighed. "I know."

"I didn't mean to hurt Hyeri's feelings—"

"Yeah, I get it," Naeun said.

"You were always the most understanding one," Jinri said with a soft smile. "It makes me a little bitter that I lost a friend like you."

"You can come back!" Naeun urged.

"Hyeri wouldn't want me back." Jinri pulled out her cigarette. "If they found out that I smoke, they'll have second thoughts about me."

"Why do you do it anyway? None of us do it. It's not cool," Naeun said.

Jinri wanted to laugh at how ridiculous Naeun sounded, but she only bit her bottom lip, hiding her smile.

"It's just a way to relieve my stress," Jinri said. "I'm planning to quit after I'm done with school. I swear."

Naeun looked at her skeptically. "Yeah, but it's not heathy…"

"It's my body. I'll do what I want with it," Jinri said.

Naeun gave her a look of concern before letting out a small sigh. "Okay, fine. I'll keep this a secret. Just don't let anyone find out that I saw you smoking, okay? I'm letting you play the friendship card."

"Got it," Jinri told her, nodding her head. She threw the cigarette away into the trashcan. "I promise. I swear. If anything, I'll say that Minzy and Yezy were smoking."

"It's not nice to lie," Naeun said. "Those two already have a ton of bad rumors."

"I'll do something, okay?" Jinri checked her phone. "Class is going to start. I need to put on some perfume."

"Okay." Naeun paused before she left the restroom. "See you some time, okay?"

"Yeah. Thanks," Jinri muttered, trying to keep herself from crying. She was obviously touched that her old friend was looking out for her and protecting her from getting in trouble. It made her feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Naeun left the bathroom with a look of hesitation. She looked behind at the door before heading towards class. When she arrived, she took her seat next to Suzy, who scrunched her nose.

"What took you so long?" Suzy asked. She took out a bottle of perfume from her bag. "Do you want to put some on? There's a small stench of smoke, but I don't think you'll get in trouble for it."

Naeun looked at her clothes, then shook her head with a small smile. "No. I'm good. I think I'll be okay."

Suzy hesitated, but nodded her head and kept quiet, waiting for Hyeri to join the two.