Countdown: [two]

Bulletproof Hearts

Reina looks at her reflection on the mirror. Her hair is a mess. Eyes resemble to a certain animal called panda. Even her skin looks paler than vampires. With her current appearance, people could think that she’s a freaking zombie.

And she doesn’t deny it.

She looks horrible.

Reina sighs heavily, before she grabs her phone. A doll hanged on the phone–it is a white cute-looking half-cat half-human which has got black hair and slanted eyes. She grins at the sight, remembering how Jimin has forced her to hang this on her phone.

It was from Jimin. He said it’ll remind her of him. Indeed, it does. Even she remembers the activities they did on the day Jimin gave this doll.

There was teasing from Baekhyun when Jimin suddenly asked her to go out with him, as in a date. Jimin was being interrogated as if he was a criminal, and Reina couldn’t help but chuckle at that time. Baekhyun looked satisfied when Jimin didn’t look like a bad guy on his eyes.

So, there went her first date with Jimin. In the school’s rooftop, just because she ever said she likes it there.

Their relationship is something more complicated than they think. Sure, Jimin likes her and she knows it too. Reina does like him, although she won’t ever admit it out loud. But they’re not couple, yet. The two of them still enjoy being best friends. Moreover, Reina doesn’t think she’s ready for that type of relationship.

It’s still good to be his friend, though, she thinks.

Just when she’s immersed in her thought, her stomach grumbles loudly. She clutched her stomach, and lied down on her bed.

Reina swears, she’s going to be lazy just for today.

She whines lightly, before deciding to send him a text.

 

To: Park Chim Chim

Chim, buy me food. I’m starving.

 

The answer comes after a minute. She looks up at her phone.

From: Park Chim Chim

The nickname is so not cool.

What do you want?

 

She widens her eyes. If Jimin asks what she wants, then that means he’ll buy her everything she asks, right? She laughs evilly and starts to think any kind of food that she wants right now.

Before she gets the chance to type out the list, her phone buzzes.

 

From: Park Chim Chim

Write one! Don’t give me a list.

To: Park Chim Chim

Aw, you know me too well.

From: Park Chim Chim

Of course, I know! Now, spit it out. What do you want?

To: Park Chim Chim

I can’t decide between chocolate and ice cream.

From: Park Chim Chim

I thought you want me to buy food!

To: Park Chim Chim

Those are foods too, dummy.

From: Park Chim Chim

I’m going to shove vegetables on your mouth. Just wait.

To: Park Chim Chim

Noooooo! Don’t you dare!

From: Park Chim Chim

Prepare to meet your worst enemy, girl. Kkkk~

 

To: Park Chim Chim

I’m preparing myself to meet you, tho.

From: Park Chim Chim

I am so going to strangle you, Rei.

To: Park Chim Chim

How cute of you, Jim. I know you’re blushing right now. Kkkk~

And see ya at my house~

Baekhyun keeps pacing back and forth, while Kai crosses his arms and clenches his jaw. They both know the fact they’re finding out is beyond their thought. Never did once the fact crosses in their mind.

The silence is frightening until Baekhyun decides to speak up.

“You’re saying he is involved?” asks Baekhyun in disbelief.

Kai sighs heavily, before he opens up the file again. “Although he doesn’t know it himself, but yes.”

There is silence before Baekhyun manages to utter something.

“Oh God.” Baekhyun mutters. He snatches the file from Kai and flips the page over and over. “It’s impossible. I mean, out of all people, why him? No, scratch that. Why them?”

Kai doesn’t answer. Instead, he laughs bitterly, then takes a sip at his coffee.

When Baekhyun looks like he could cuss anytime, threatening to break his own promise–he made a promise to himself that he won’t curse in any condition–Kai remains calm. He is used to face this kind of situation, but it doesn’t do any different in his heart. He’s shocked and freaked out. All of his feelings are just hidden under his poker face.

Moreover, it is someone close they’re talking about.

It scares him more than having someone puts a gun against his head.

“Why are they targeting their family?” whispers Baekhyun.

Kai looks at his best friend in the eye. “Apparently, someone wants revenge.”

“I mean, why? It’s all in the past, right? They’re now good people. You know it, too.”

Kai chuckles darkly at his sentence. “Somehow, I think you rubbed off your naivety to Reina,” he says. “Once you did something bad, you can’t just undo that.”

“I am not naïve, Kim Kai,” he growls angrily. “It is just unfair. That’s it.”

Kai scoffs. “It’s been years since you know this world. I don’t think the word ‘unfair’ will do any justice.”

Baekhyun turns silent. He gazes the names on the paper, and lets out a tired huff.

The Park family, it says. Park Jaemin is a former gang member. He is known as a brutal lethal killer of the group, but that all changes now. He is no longer part of the gang.

Why does Baekhyun know? Because he used to be his mentor. Well, he is their mentor although it’s been a while since he contacted him. In fact, he hasn’t contacted him since he was out from their group, leaving Kai as the leader.

He was the one who trained Baekhyun and Kai to be an agent and saved them. If it’s not for him, they would’ve died now.

Jaemin was a former gang member, but that’s because he didn’t have a choice. He ran away from the gang and used to be the leader before he decided to drop off from his job and searched a normal job instead. He left everything involving violence when he met his wife.

They respected his choice leaving this world behind and start a new life.

So, why now? Why does it seem like fate is mocking them?

“What did Jaemin-hyung say?” asks Baekhyun.

Kai notices the fear on his words. “He will take the responsibility. He asks us to protect his wife and son. Don’t warn them about anything.”

Baekhyun’s heart stops for a while.

“What?” mumbles Baekhyun. “He’s going to … what?! How could he?! I mean, why the hell he has to take the responsibility?”

“He’s basically giving up on his life.” Kai stares at Baekhyun’s eyes.

Baekhyun laughs bitterly. “What the … doesn’t he love his family? Why does he want to leave them?”

“That’s the thing, Baek,” says Kai while keeping up a poker face. “He doesn’t want to endanger his family anymore. None of these things will happen if he dies, he said.”

“This is crazy.”

Baekhyun swears he’s so angry that he can break the room. He clenches his jaw, until something catches his attention.

“,” he cusses, can’t hold back from cursing.

Park Jaemin has a wife. She’s Park Minji, a nurse at Seoul Health Center.

Worst of all, Jaemin has a son.

And his name is Park Jimin.

A boy that Reina likes genuinely.

“What the … Park Jimin?” mutters Baekhyun.

Kai sighs as he massages his temple. “We have to tell Reina about this.”

“Chim, finally!”

Reina beams at him when she finds out Jimin in front of her house. He brings a plastic full of food with him while plastering a wide grin on his face.

“I love you so much!” She hugs him tight, making the boy blushes hard. He fakes a cough, hinting that he’s uncomfortable of this.

Reina lets go of him and grins. “Right. I forgot you’re such a shy boy.”

“Am not, okay?” He hides his face with his palm. “I’m just … not made for these things.”

Reina rolls her eyes. “Like I would believe that,” she says. She glances at the food on his hand. “What are these?”

He chuckles. “Guess.”

Reina crunches her nose. She sniffs the food, making Jimin laughs at her action.

“Pizza?” she asks.

Jimin nods. “With extra cheese.”

“And you bought me cola?”

“One for you and one for me.”

Reina grins playfully. “Aw, you’re so sweet.”

“Shut up,” he says shyly, making Reina laughs.

“Come on in, Chim. I want to watch movies with you.”

Reina doesn’t know why, but she finds herself getting antsy at the sight of Jimin. She frowns, wondering what kind of feeling this is. Jimin chomps his pizza, occasionally laughing at the movie rolling in front of him.

Although Jimin looks as stunning as before–with eyes crinkling as he laughs–and the movie is funny as hell, she just can't put a smile on her face.

Reina just can’t do that.

There’s something wrong in her heart.

What is this?

What is wrong?

What is going on?

The thought goes on repeat that she doesn’t even realize Jimin is staring at her.

He frowns, noticing her weird behaviour.

“Hey, what is wrong?” he asks, still smiling because of the funny movie.

Reina bites her bottom lip. “That’s exactly what I am thinking.”

“What?”

“Huh?”

Jimin’s smile falters. His right hand touches her forehead, while the left one touches his own. He crunches his nose when nothing’s wrong.

“You’re not sick,” murmurs Jimin. He stares at her. “So, what’s wrong?”

Reina looks back at Jimin worriedly. “I don’t know. There’s something wrong, but I don’t know.”

Silence envelopes the room after she stated her current feelings. Jimin is busy staring at her, while the girl still wonders what the hell is wrong with her.

She had this kind of feeling once, and that’s not a pleasant memory either.

It was not long after she’s adopted by Kai. They’re starting to get close, but suddenly this kind of feeling come. Kai was determined to catch a criminal, and Reina didn’t know why she stopped him, saying things like don’t go.

Turned out he was hurt at the end of the day.

She is afraid something like that will happen again.

“Rei, you make me worry about you.” Jimin snaps her from her thought.

Reina doesn’t answer. Instead, she tugs the sleeve of his shirt.

“Jimin.”

“Yeah?”

“Please, be okay.”

Baekhyun never saw Reina this shocked.

She didn’t even flinch when she saw dead bodies. She didn’t even blink when she lied. She didn’t even give the slightest hint of fear when there were robbers in the house.

At least, she didn’t let it show.

That’s the only similarity between Kai and Reina; both are good at hiding feelings.

For all of his life, he only sees her smiling face. Excluding to Kai, she didn’t let her feelings showed to anyone. Not even Baekhyun.

So, when Reina’s face goes pale because of his explanation, Baekhyun knows one thing for sure.

Reina has fallen for the boy.

Baekhyun sighs. This is what he fears the most. What if she’s getting hurt when she’s protecting the boy?

“Wait a minute,” she says finally. “You’re saying I can’t tell Jimin that his father is going to be dead? And I'm not allowed to do anything?”

“Yes.”

That was Kai. Baekhyun doesn’t even have the heart to look her in the eye.

“It’s for his own good.” Kai continues.

“What the ? I am not going to do that!” Reina exclaims angrily. She points her finger at Kai, something she never did before because she respected the man. “What do you think you’re telling me about? How can I keep silent when another person is going to be killed? Moreover, it is my best friend’s father we’re talking about! My first best friend ever!”

His voice is stern, full of warning. “Reina.”

“ this. I don’t want to do this. Heck, I won’t do this.”

“Reina.”

“This plan doesn’t make sense. this all. You know what? I will protect his family on my own.”

JUNG REINA!

His voice blared thorough the room, making both Reina and Baekhyun flinch at it. Kai looks so devastated, mad, and worried.

“Listen here.” Kai says as he stands up and slams his fist on the table. “As much as we want to protect them, there’s nothing much we could do. We’re not confronting with some low-class criminals you used to track. No. We’re fighting with a stronger opponent. This is the best plan we can do.”

Reina turns silent.

“If you insist on protecting them, go ahead. By the end of the day, not only his father, his mother is going toget killed, too.” His tone is harsh, harsher than she ever heard from him. “Trust me on this one, Rei.”

In the end, Reina leaves his room with mixed feelings.

She just breaks her mask in front of Baekhyun. She’s worried about Jimin and his family. She wants to let it out, but doesn’t know how.

And she knows, she won’t have any sleep tonight.

A/N: this is just the beginning. Like, the start of all problems. The real story starts after countdown one, tho. Let me know what you guys are thinking ><