Finale

Until My Last Breath

"Jongin, can you watch the stars with me please?"

Jongin looked up from the book he just read and turned toward his lover.

"What did you just say, Soo?"

"I said, please watch the stars with me." Kyungsoo repeated his words one more time, looking toward Jongin. Jongin sighed and closed his eyes tiredly. "You know you can't do that, Soo." He said as he placed his hand on top of Kyungsoo's.

"I know, but just this one time please? You know how much ti-"

"Fine." Jongin interrupted him.

"Fine, just this one. But promise me you won't ever finish your sentence." Jongin said, while looking at Kyungsoo straight in the eyes. Jongin knew he would give up eventually. He couldn't actually say no to his lover, Kyungsoo was his weakness. Besides, in their situation, he'd do anything the boy said. Anything to make him happy.

Jongin sighed for the second time and stood up, grabbing a wheelchair in the corner of the white colored room. "Come on, Soo." Jongin said to Kyungsoo as he helped him to get onto the wheelchair. Lifting Kyungsoo up, he realised how skinny and light Kyungsoo is. His thighs are not as thick as they used to be, and his chubby arms looked like it was made out of bones only now.

"I can stand up on my own, you know." Kyungsoo pretended to glare. Jongin just shrugged, although his smile was visible. Kyungsoo chose to chuckle. A real chuckling.

---

When Kyungsoo was all nice and ready, he put on his coat and grabbed one for Kyungsoo too. "You can't get cold in this situation, Soo. You need to take a better care for yourself." He put a coat on Kyungsoo and grabbed a blanket too. 'Just in case' he thought.

Just as when he was about to grabbed Kyungsoo's IV, Kyungsoo stopped him.

"I don't want to bring that." Kyungsoo stated as he looked at Jongin with this owlish eyes. "You need to, Soo. We can't let the same-" "I know. But I just want to be with you tonight. Spending my last-"

"Stop. Don't say that."

A fake chuckle was heard.

"But you know it's coming soon. The clock is tickling by."

Jongin chose not to answer that and gave up once again.

----

They both walked (more like Jongin walked) in silence. They both got busy with their own thoughts. As they walked through the hall, Jongin began to remember their past.

The time when everything was okay and they were both happy.

The time when Kyungsoo was not as pale as now, the time when Kyungsoo could actually smile, really smile, not faking a smile.

Where had the times gone?

Jongin tried not to shed any tears as he remembered their happy times. Oh how much he missed that. He'd do anything to bring back those times again. He missed when he would pinched Kyungsoo's chubby cheeks, when they would kiss under the moon, when he admired Kyungsoo's thick thighs. He missed that. He missed that so bad.

"Jongin?"

"Hm?" Jongin stopped in his track as Kyungsoo's voice filled his ears.

"Jongin, why are you crying?" Kyungsoo stared at him as he tried to wipe off Jongin's tears. There, Jongin noticed just how skinny Kyungsoo's hand is. His heart broke even more when he noticed that.

Crap. He didn't even notice he was crying.

He quickly wiped off his tears as he gave Kyungsoo his usual, fake smile. "I'm okay, Soo. Something just got stuck into my eyes." Kyungsoo sighed at his answer. He knew Kyungsoo didn't believe him, but he was grateful that his lover didn't try to press on that matter.

"I'm just trying to say that we're here already." Kyungsoo said. Jongin looked around and apparently, they have reached their destination. Jongin (once again) helped Kyungsoo to get out of his wheelchair, but this time Kyungsoo didn't protest. Jongin carried him onto the bench near the edge of the rooftop. He didn't let go of Kyungsoo. He simply just held him in his arms, afraid that Kyungsoo might be gone if he let him go.

Kyungsoo closed his eyes, silently enjoying the breeze, and Jongin took his time to just stared at Kyungsoo.

Jongin stared at Kyungsoo's hair, silently missing Kyungsoo's thick dark locks. His heart was screamin in pain as he looked at Kyungoo's thin hair. He could actually see some empty spots here and there. Nevertheless, he still loved Kyungsoo either way. Jongin missed his chubby cheeks, and remembered when Kyungsoo had this chubby pinchable cheeks that made him look adorable. Jongin missed Kyungsoo's wide smile, the kind that Kyungsoo liked to gave him when he told him small corny jokes. All that was left was fake smiles.

"Soo? Baby?"

"Hm?" Kyungsoo opened his eyes and looked at Jongin. "It's romantic, don't you think?" Jongin said while caressing Kyungsoo's hair. "What's romantic?" Kyungsoo looked at him confused. "This, watching the stars, the two of us, on the rooftop." Jongin smiled cheekily at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo chuckled (a real one, Jongin noticed) and gave him a real smile. "It is. But really Jongin? The hospital rooftop? Way to ruin this romanticness." Now it was Kyungsoo's turn to .

Jongin missed his teasing.

"You know you can't go too far from the hospital," Jongin said quietly as he touched Kyungsoo's cheek. "I know, I know, Dad." Kyungsoo said. Jungin smiled a bit at the response.

Suddenly, a cough escaped Kyungsoo's mouth.

Jongin was quick to enter his panic mode. "What's wrong Soo? Are you okay?" Jongin panickly said as he touched Kyungsoo's face. "I'm okay," Kyungsoo answered him. Jongin noticed how much Kyungsoo's body trembled and how Kyungsoo had turned paler than before. "You're not okay. Come on- let's go-"

"I'm fine, Jongin." Kyungsoo put his hand on top of Jongin's. "I just want to feel this moment, please? For the last time?" Kyungsoo smiled sadly as he cupped Jongin's cheeks in both of his hands.

Jongin tried not to cry as he realised what Kyungsoo meant. He was supposed to be strong, damn it.

When Kyungsoo coughed for the second time, Jongin shed his tear.

"Jongin? Can I have a request?" Kyungsoo said as he watched Jongin's tears.

"What is it? Tell me, Soo. Tell me anything."

"I- I need you to kiss me. For the last time. To hold me tight before I go. To hold my hand before I can't feel them. To love me until my last breath. Can you do that, for me?" Kyungsoo trembled as he said those words. Those words which hurt Jongin's feelings deeply.

A sob escaped Jongin's lips as he hold Kyungsoo even tighter than before. ", Soo. Don't say that, please. I cant- Don't leave please. I need you to stay with me. I- I haven't proposed to you yet! We haven't even watched the stars properly" Jongin said between his sobs. He can't let Kyungsoo go. He can't.

"I need to, Jongin. Listen to me, you need to be happy, okay? To be strong. Just remember that I will always stay in your heart. I will always stay beside you in every moment of your life." Kyungsoo said as he struggled to control his tears.

"You can't! I need you, Soo. I need you- look, the stars are shining bright right now. They don't want you to leave!" Jongin exclaimed as he continued to hold Kyungsoo tighter.

A chuckle escaped Kyungsoo's lips. "I know. And when the night comes, when you miss me, you know that I'll be one of the stars there. Just simply watching you. And when you miss me, you can look at the stars, 'cause that's where I'm gonna be"

Jongin turned to face Kyungsoo, and cupped his cheeks.

"Kiss me, Jongin" Kyungsoo told him. Some tears escaped his owlish eyes as he looked at Jongin. It pained him, but he knew his time is not long anymore.

And Jongin did that. He kissed him, slow and passionate, while tears keep flowing from both of their eyes, exchanging their loves for each other.

Jongin did not once let Kyungsoo's lips escaped his, even when he felt Kyungsoo's body turned limp.

At the end, Kyungsoo was the one who let go of their kiss. And when they parted, Jongin knew that it's time. He held Kyungsoo even closer and tighter as Kyungsoo struggled to gave him his one last smile, as he felt his body turned numb.

 

"Goodbye, Jongin."