Stepping Out

Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six: Stepping Out

“He’s got blue eyes,” Seunghyun announced, “And a tattoo around his left forearm, close to his elbow; it looks like a rope that’s been tied into a knot.”

It was the following afternoon and the four of them were currently at the third crime scene. This one had been particularly interesting to the pyro as the victim hadn’t gone down without a struggle. She fought like hell with her captors in an attempt to escape. Even though it had proven to be in vain he still liked how tough the young woman had been; a real fighter and someone who deserved his respect. The killers had seemed to think so too, as they fought back with all of their strength until they finally had her subdued.

Youngbae handed the older man his notebook and Seunghyun did his best to sketch out what the tattoo looked like. It wasn’t anything fancy but it was just one more clue that they could use to narrow down their search. According to Seunghyun the man had removed his coat to check on a bite mark the victim had given him, which allowed him to see the tattoo.

Seungri had asked if forensics had checked the woman’s mouth when they had first found the body. Jiyong confirmed that they had, but the killers had obviously thought of that too and had cleaned the victim’s mouth out with acid after they had killed her. The younger shuddered, slightly disappointed that his idea hadn’t yielded anything helpful.

Jiyong let out a yawn while he and Seungri continued to watch the other two.

“Sleep well?” Seungri teased. The other scoffed, “You banging around in the kitchen at seven this morning didn’t exactly help any you know.”

“Sorry,” the young man replied, not really sounding sorry at all. He had been up before the others at around six in the morning due to a nightmare and hadn’t been able to get back to sleep. So he had opted to get up with the intention of making them all breakfast. One thing he had learned in the facility was how to cook. Usually the doctors there would allow activities based on your behaviour and since Seungri wasn’t one to cause trouble he had a little more freedom than some of the others.

The only downside was that this was a new place and he had no idea where anything was, hence the banging, as quiet as he tried to be he just couldn’t manage it very well. But he managed to find everything he needed to make a pretty decent meal for the others. Youngbae had been the first to join him and had made a beeline for the coffee, waving Seungri off as he tried to apologize for waking him. He simply replied that they should all be getting up anyway.

Seunghyun had followed soon after, announcing that he wanted whatever smelled so damn good, namely the waffles that Seungri had been working on. Jiyong followed last, not saying much until he had downed two cups of coffee. Seunghyun had brought his notebook with him and kept switching between eating and writing, a task that was proving to be slightly difficult, but he would not be hindered. On the plus side, while he worked he didn’t speak, so Jiyong had taken the opportunity to enjoy the silence.

“Admit it,” Seungri said to Jiyong, “My waffles are totally worth the noise.”

Jiyong rolled his eyes, but didn’t argue. Damn it if this kid wasn’t charming as hell.

“I just wanted to be a little more useful,” Seungri admitted.

“You’re doing fine,” Jiyong muttered, “Watching over Seunghyun is your job after all.”

“I guess, it just seems a little too easy, you know?”

Jiyong could understand Seungri’s frustration, if he had been in the younger’s position he would feel the same. Jiyong loved to work and loved to be challenged. However, Seunghyun had proved to be quite agreeable, so long as he had something in his stomach.

The man was odd.

While he carried himself with pride and confidence there was something that suggested he had a young heart and enjoyed having fun, hence the carefree nature he tended to show if they weren’t working. Such as the light teasing he did with Youngbae, or even the casual flirting with Seungri. And even though he failed to engage Jiyong is these trivialities, he still tried.

“So, where did you go last night?”

“To check on my grandmother,” Jiyong replied, not seeing the point it lying about it or telling the kid to stop talking to him. Youngbae had reminded him before they left that making nice was going to be the best way to get through this task as quick as possible, he knew his friend was right so he did his best to lighten up as much as he could. On the plus side, Seungri had a cheerful demeanor so it wasn’t hard to make small talk.

“Oh?”

“She’s in a long term care ward,” he explained, “I try to visit her as often as I can.”

Seungri beamed, “That’s really sweet; I bet she likes that.”

“Is this you trying to get to know me as a person?” Jiyong asked. Seungri looked shocked for a moment but then he laughed, “Wow, did you seriously just make a joke?”

The other shrugged, “It’s been known to happen.”

Youngbae and Seunghyun approached them, handing Jiyong the notebook to see if he recognized the tattoo. He didn’t, but maybe there would be more information back at the precinct. Usually if anyone with tattoos was brought in they were photographed and added to the person’s file, because recently people seemed to remember tattoo details better than a person’s face. Again, another long shot but they had to gather up as much as they could.

“So, where’s the next place?” Seunghyun asked, “And if we could stop somewhere for a quick bite that would be appreciated.”

“God, do you ever stop eating?” Jiyong replied. The elder sighed, “You know, there is a mutant who can let people feel what it’s like to actually be in another person’s body. One day I will introduce you to him and then you’ll be able to fully understand my need for food. But until that day comes, there are plenty of street vendors around. Shall we?”

As he walked back to the car Jiyong couldn’t help but wonder if what Seunghyun said was true, or if the man was just messing with him. Truth be told he wasn’t looking forward to visiting the next crime scene, it had been one of the most difficult ones for him to deal with and he was anxious for how the pyro would react when seeing it. So maybe a little break would do all of them some good after all, anything to put off going to that place.

***

The street they stopped on was fairly busy, as it was the middle of the afternoon and people were rushing by to finish errands while on their lunch breaks. The numerous amount of people made Seungri feel a little overwhelmed as he wasn’t used to seeing so many around all at once. He stuck close to Seunghyun, hoping the other man wouldn’t notice his unease. Their hands brushed against each other, making Seungri blush and stuff his into his pockets. Seunghyun glanced at him and smiled, “I don’t bite you know.”

“I know.”

“Too many people?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Seungri nodded.

“It’s easier to not focus on all of them,” the pyro offered, “Pick one and wonder what they might be doing. As soon as they are out of sight pick someone else and do the same thing.”

“Which one should I pick?”

The man shrugged, “I don’t know, pick one that catches your attention, for any reason. But if that doesn’t help,” he then offered his arm for Seungri to hold onto, “I’m right next to you.”

Seungri felt reassured and took to people watching as Seunghyun suggested, it helped him feel less anxious but he still kept a grip on the elder’s arm; just in case.

Jiyong led the way to one of the vendors who was selling gimbap; it was quick and simple and also one of Youngbae’s favourite things to eat. Seunghyun paid for all of them, his way of apologizing for giving them grief earlier, and then he and Jiyong lent against the car as they ate.

“Any chance we can skip the next one?” Youngbae muttered to Jiyong.

“I wish.”

“Should I be worried?” Seunghyun asked.

“Didn’t you read the file?” Jiyong replied.

“Skimmed, and I avoided the pictures altogether.”

“It was bad,” Jiyong muttered, “Let’s leave it at that.”

Youngbae turned to throw the garbage into a waste bin, bumping into a short young woman, dressed in black pants and a camouflage green hoodie.

“Sorry,” he said, rather surprised when she didn’t respond but kept on walking. Seunghyun arched an eyebrow as he watched the girl walk, “Youngbae, do you still have your wallet?”

“Huh?”

He checked his pockets, sure enough the girl must have snatched it when she bumped into him.

“Hey!” Youngbae shouted after her. She paused, and turned to face them, for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter