Cold As Ice

Fire and Ice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter One: Cold As Ice

Detective Kwon Jiyong huffed in annoyance and tossed the newspaper that he had been reading onto the passenger seat of his car, glaring at it as if the item had caused him great offence. The offending paper had a picture of his boss, Chief Park Sung-ki, on the front page. The man was wearing his dress blues and standing behind a podium at the latest press conference, which had been nothing but a disaster.

Between people demanding more information about the murders, government officials pointing out that they needed ‘special’ help, and reporters trying to start some kind of panic; the Chief had no choice but to give in. Right then and there he had made the announcement that help was being brought in and would be arriving sometime this morning.

Hence Jiyong’s sour mood.

He didn’t need their help, he didn’t want their help.

And by ‘they’ he was referring to mutants; former humans who had developed extraordinary and impossible abilities.

Evidence of actual mutants had first started filling the news in the early 1990s, but they had been scattered reports and rumors at best. Even then people didn’t really believe the stories, unless they had seen it for themselves that is. However, it had really blown up around 1997 when leaders from around the world not only admitted their existence but also put new laws into place which required that every person with a unique ‘ability,’ be registered and tracked.

Needless to say, the negative reaction to that controversial decision was still being felt today. Mutants were persecuted, hunted and locked away for the slightest infraction. Those that wouldn’t allow themselves to be harnessed and controlled had taken to hiding themselves away in the underbellies of various cities. Where they had started taking over the black markets and other shady dealings that had usually been left to some of the criminals that Jiyong was responsible for hunting.

Seoul was just one of the many cities out there being overrun. And apparently there were reports of it happening in London, Ottawa and even New York.

Jiyong had a less than positive opinion when it came to mutants. As a police officer they made his life difficult with finding new and inventive ways to commit crimes. Try proving in a courtroom that someone who could become invisible had robbed a bank, and without the video evidence, impossible. And if the mutant in question had the ability to sway people’s minds with the power of suggestion, well you were looking at being laughed right out of the room.

Most mutants could have anywhere from 2 to 4 different abilities, and some of them could be unpredictable and dangerous. Learning to control these gifts had proven to be a task that not many could accomplish.

Thus; Jiyong had no problem with the programs and legislation that had been put into place to try and help these gifted people use their abilities for more productive, and legal, work. Back in 2003 the Mutant Youth Program, had been established as a type of school and research facility. Both parties gained from the resources there; mutants were able to hone and train their abilities and humans were able to learn more about these odd individuals.

So long as they were keeping out of trouble, Jiyong didn’t care what they did there.

The phone on the dashboard of his car started to chime, bringing him back to reality. He grabbed it up and quickly read the text from his work partner, Detective Dong Youngbae. The man had grabbed coffee and breakfast for the both of them and was waiting for Jiyong to come and get him. ‘Wipe that frown off your face, boss,’ it read, ‘I have coffee and food, hurry up if you want it. Today will be a good day.’

Jiyong started the car. Finally, a cause to smile, but then again Youngbae had always had that effect on him.

The two of them had met while they were both in training at the police academy. Instantly, Jiyong had taken a liking to the bright and rather kind Youngbae, who always seemed to have a smile on his face. Admittedly, he felt rather protective over him because someone like Youngbae didn’t seem to fit in to the harsh life of being a police officer.

However, time and time again his partner had proven him wrong. He was resourceful, smart, and too clever for his own good. The two of them always worked well together and that carried over to when they had both been selected to work in the homicide department. Working there had taken them into many dangerous situations but Jiyong trusted Youngbae implicitly to always have his back, and in return he always covered Youngbae’s.

He spotted the man sitting at one of the tables outside of their favourite café and he honked the horn to get his attention. Youngbae looked up and a grin filled his face. When he approached the car and got in Jiyong groaned at his appearance.

“What?” his partner asked, looking down at his outfit. The younger was wearing dark wash jeans with faded and frayed areas, a long sleeved dark grey shirt and his ever present black leather blazer. While Jiyong knew he had his badge and pistol located somewhere on his person, he hardly looked like a cop.

“You look like you’re getting ready for a date, not work,” Jiyong pointed out.

“Well we can’t all pull off the brooding detective look like you, boss,” Youngbae replied with a laugh, handing the other a coffee and a bagel, “Besides, I think this makes me look approachable.”

Jiyong had always been much more professional about his appearance than Youngbae was. Dressed in a suit, tie and black trench coat gave Jiyong a more intimidating look which worked for him; and Youngbae had to admit he looked great.

“I do not brood, and I’ve asked you to stop calling me ‘boss,’ I only became detective a week before you did,” Jiyong muttered, sipping his coffee as he started to drive to the precinct.

“You’re honestly going to tell me that this doesn’t have you brooding?” Youngbae asked, picking up the newspaper that Jiyong had tossed aside, and not so subtly ignoring his friend’s request about the nickname.

“I’ll deal with it, just as long as we catch whoever is doing this,” the elder re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter