Chapter 2 - An Alternate Reality

Experimental Error

The metal band on my head was removed and the LCD screen that was flashing images was absent. I opened my eyes slightly and tried to blink away the blurriness. The room was dimly lit and it smelled like a hospital. Looking around, I was strapped onto a metal table that was inclined at a 25 degree angle. There were infusion bags hanging around me and I noticed that the tubes were connected to both my arms. Despite that, I had no sensation of my body from neck down. Straining, I tried to shift my head in position, but the ache in my neck was too much to bear.

“So I think the healing protocol is successful on her.” a voice from a man was heard from the corridor. As the sound of footsteps grew louder, I closed my eyes in fear.

“Yes, from what we have tested, it seemed to be stable. We just need a final confirmation.” Another voice replied. 

“Hello?” A voice said, before I felt a warm hand cradling my cheek. “Time to wake up dear” the voice continued before tapping my cheeks lightly. “Don’t worry, we are not going to hurt you. You have been badly injured.” The voice continued. Hearing that, my fear disappeared a little and I shifted my head slightly, slowly opening my eyes to look up at the man. He had black hair and was wearing thick black frame glasses. He was also quite muscular, despite that fact that he was wearing a loose fitting medical scrub.

“Well, hello there. How are you feeling?” he asked with a smile on his face.

“Where am I?” I asked in a soft and hoarse voice.

“Not the time for questions dear. Our boss is coming anytime soon and we will be testing if the healing protocol is successful. But don’t worry. I won’t let you die.” He declared sinisterly with a smirk on his face.

“It will seemed like you are dying, but you will not.” Another man with a baldhead said from the other side. He gave me a nod emphatically. 

I was confused. Die? What protocol? I leaned my head backwards and shut my eyes tightly, trying to recall any past memory that will give me a clue to my current situation. Nothing came up and my mind was completely blanked. The only memory that was present was the one at the gravel field.

The sounds of many footsteps were heard. Guards dressed in white uniform and holding guns walked around me and formed a perimeter. Their face, dazed, eyes empty. Just like the people yesterday. A rolling sound was heard and a middle-aged man sitting on a wheelchair appeared.

“Hello, I can speak to you while you are awake.” He smiled gently as he clapped slowly. “So, how is the progress?” he asked the bald man standing near a table. On the table, it was filled with switches and panels displaying information.

“Well, we tested it in the dream. It worked. But we have to test it out in reality. The only thing that I did not managed to do was block the pain receptors. Aside from that, her body responded very well to it. It is surprising though, considering how the rest of the experiments did not survived.” He commented, his face serious as he concentrated on the monitors. 

The fear in me was growing as I listened to the conversation between them. I wondered about what he meant by the experiments. Strangely enough, although I wasn’t able to move my body below my neck, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest.

“Someone is anxious.” The man in the wheelchair chuckled loudly. “Don’t worry. Do you know who you are?” he asked.

I shook my head softly. “Who are you?” I whispered.

“You can call me BOSS. Anyway, since you don’t remember anything, it doesn’t matter if you are dead or alive.” He said darkly. “Let’s start!” he shouted loudly. One of the guards came behind the table that I was lying on and started pushing. I was being wheeled into another room.

“Wait, gotta blindfold her, we don’t want to risk anything.” One of the men said and with that, a cloth was pulled across my face. I tried to regulate my breathing and calm myself down but a million thoughts went through my head. 

“Hello there. Now, Seunghyun. Please come here.” Boss instructed commanded. 

My blindfold was removed and I squinted against the bright light as my eyes adjust to the environment. It was a dark cell, a toilet at the far corner. Lights seeped through the small windows close to the celling. There was a bed in the other corner but people were all huddled around the floor together. My eyes grew wide in recognition as I recognize the five guys that were huddled together. At the other side, I had also recognized the lady that was killed by on the guy. I saw a flash of recognition on her face before she replaced it with a blank expression. I was extremely confused.

Why wasn’t she injured? Why wasn’t she dead? Why are they both in the same cell?

“Hyung, Hyung!!!” one of the 5 guys with ash color hair called out, while tugging onto Seunghyun arm. A thinner and smaller frame guy held him back and covers his mouth with his hand.

“Seunghyun, how about you take this gun?” Boss instructed before smirking. Gasp were heard from the people in the room. 

“Yes sir.” Seunghyun replied as he took the gun.

“HYUNG!!!” A voice was heard from the crowd and the guard immediately went towards him and slapped him hard across the face. The other two guys immediately went towards him in concern. Strangely, the most muscular guy just stood there in a daze, not reacting to anything that was happening.

“Youngbae, come here too.” Boss instructed and he walked towards us.

It was a strange situation, as though they were in a trance. Boss nodded to the bald guy in the medical uniform and he came towards me. He pushed a button on the computer and I felt a tingly sensation on my limbs. He came over and started removing the metal cuffs and assisted me out.

“Can you stand?” he asked softly, his eyes looking at me with concern.

I nodded slightly and shifted more of my weight towards my legs. 

“Good. Close your eyes. It will hurt but it will be over quickly.” He commanded and I closed my eyes. I was shivering from fear and he gave me a reassuring pat on my shoulders.

“HYUNG NO, WHAT ARE YOU DOING.” One of them yelled out.

“Seungri SHUT UP or I will shoot you too.” Boss replied.

“Shoot.” Boss commanded again.

A loud blast was heard and intense pain was felt in my left chest. I fell backwards and hit the ground harshly. 

“HYUNG!!! WHY HYUNG!!!” Seungri shouted again, his screams muffled. Sniffs and sobs were heard in the room. 

“Alive boss.” A voice said.

“Good. Now record the progress.” Boss replied, before the shuffling of footsteps were heard leaving the room.

“Y/N? Y/N?” I heard a voice saying before feeling gentle touches on my face.

“She is alive. Wait. Don’t touch her.” The bald man said. 

“Doctor, please do something. What did they do to her?!” The thinnest guy pleaded. 

I felt a cool liquid entering my arm and my entire body relax, the pain going away. The sound of the voices also disappears slowly and darkness enveloped me.