An Ugly Truth.

Substitute

 

1. A man named Myungsoo bought me yesterday, parting me from my family in the store. I was the most attractive nutcracker, maybe the most attractive toy, ever sold there. I stood out from others, I was bright and colorful; maybe that's why Myungsoo had an interest with me --- even though I was a little bit pricey for a toy.

 

"Hello, I'm Kim Myungsoo, what should I call you now?"

 

He raised me up in the air,  wiggled me a little bit. I stood still looking at him. His mouth expressed his uncertainty about the names that passed on his mind and finally curved before he said, "I made up my mind. You're Sungjong from now on."

 

---

 

2. He tucked me in his shirt pocket with my head popped out of it. The outside air was chilly but Myungsoo happily trotted down the streets. He always talked to me about someone he met a long time ago. I guessed this person was really special to him. It's just rather peculiar crying your heart out to a toy instead of living thing who could give you reactions.

 

But Myungsoo was different.

 

Living a life as a Sungjong made me confused about the life of Myungsoo himself. He's so mysterious. I never saw him before hanging out with his friends. He had a pretty face but he didn't have a lover. Once he said he had no interests in love. He didn't believe in love. I couldn't feel love.

 

He said it's fictional, I said it's non-existent.

 

---

 

3. I fell down and broke into pieces on the cold wood flooring with a crying Myungsoo next to me after a man named Hoya hit him hard.

 

"Don't ever think to replace our Sungjong with a stupid dummy, you brat!"

 

I looked at him with my lifeless gaze, the same gaze I gave to him when we first met.

 

No wonder Myungsoo always talked to me. He showed me things that a common figurine would never see in its entire life. He's the first person who really talked to me, not just a boy who cried to his mommy and daddy to buy me or whined because I was too expensive.

 

It touched me at first, but I figured it out now.

 

I'm a mere replacement.