A Birthday Surprise

Our 21st Birthday

Ryosuke’s POV

I don’t know how many minutes or hours or even days, well just an exaggeration, I stared blankly at my phone’s calendar.

May 9, huh

I sighed.

I must be happy right? It’s my 21st birthday.

Surely mom will prepare something for me after our last rehearsals today. Tomorrow is our concert at Tokyo Dome.

But also, tomorrow is the birthday of the girl whom I love for a long time. Shida Mirai. She’s a good friend of mine before during Tantei Gakuen days. We always hang out together with Kamiki-san. I admit I already fall for her during those days. But since we’re just kids that time, I held back my feelings and decided to keep it to myself until we’re on the right age.

She’s simple, yet beautiful. Those beautiful dark colored eyes, those pink lips, those rounded cheekbones, and everything that she had. It makes me fall for her deeper and deeper.

I miss her.

When we reached our senior high school, I’m so glad we’re classmates together with Kamiki-kun. But she seldom talked to me, only if there are school projects and homework. But it’s okay; at least I have the chance to saw her every day. That’s why even if I’m too lazy to go to school and to listen to the boring lessons of our teacher; I am psyched up to still attend the class just to see her.

When we graduated, I was kinda sad. I will not see her again every day. I planned to confess my feelings but when I was about to approached her Yuto grabbed me because our parents want to take photos of us.  I even cursed Yuto for such a bad timing, but he just gave me his killer smile as an answer.

Years had already passed and we barely saw each other. One reason is that we’re in a different agency; second, we’re also busy in our own projects and stuffs; and third even if I really want to have another drama with her again, fate doesn’t seem on our side. If it’s not me, other Johnny’s talent we’re being on a same drama as her.

Unfair.

I do sometimes mail her, but we only have a few conversation. Until time passed by, since we’re both busy, we didn’t exchange mails anymore. Now, I wonder if it’s still her number that was saved on my phone.

I know for a fact that there are fans who paired us together. Well I’m aware of it, thanks to Chinen and Inoo who loves to visit social networking sites. I’m also aware about YamaChi, AriYama , YamaJima and many more OTP that Chinen said to me. But I’m much delighted about the YamaShi pairing. Even Chinen showed me a group about YamaShi fans. I also sometimes read the fanfictions and oneshots that the fans made for us.

Just like the fans who want us to have drama again or being end up together, I also wish that. Every year during my birthday, every time I blew all those candles on every cake that I received, it’s also my one and only wish for myself.

But I guess it will just continue to be a dream.

My phone vibrated indicating a text message.

It’s from Kamiki.

Happy Birthday Yama-chan ~ Miki

It says.

I typed my reply. After a few minutes he texted back. We had a conversation for a while since we also seldom saw each other. He’s a good friend of mine.

“Ryosuke~!, Ohayooo !” a cheerful Chinen Yuri went inside the dressing room.

I locked my phone before I slid it to my pocket.

“Ohayo.” I greeted him.

I let him settle his things first.

“Happy Birthday ~!” he greeted me. I just smiled and continue to flip the magazine I saw on the table.

He took a sit at the couch and busied himself on his phone.

“Ne Ryosuke, look. You’re fans really loves you.” He said and showed me some greetings over the social networking sites.

I smiled.

“I wish I could thank them for doing this.” I said while browsing over Chinen’s phone.

“Yes you can. On tomorrow’s concert.”

I was busy scrolling down the messages when something caught my attention. Its an edited photo of me and Mirai. I cant help but to smile.

“Ne, Chii, can I like this post? Nobody knows that this is your account right?” I asked.

“Yeah sure. I know you’ve wanted that.”  He said and waved his hand as a signal.

He knows what I am talking about.

I liked all the posts that have me and Mirai’s photo.

After all the fans didn’t know it was me nor Chinen who likes it.

“Ikou Ryosuke, we’re gonna be late to our practice.” Yuri said after a few minutes of browsing his tab and put it again inside his bag.

“Hai. Thank you for always.” I said and handed his phone back.

We prepare ourselves for our last rehearsal for our concert tomorrow.

--

“Tadaima.” I said as I stepped my foot inside our house.

No one responded and the lights were already off. I checked my wrist watch. It’s already 11pm. I guess they are all asleep.

As I entered our living room, I jumped as high as a kangaroo when the lights suddenly went on.

They all laughed upon seeing my reaction.

“OTANJOUBI OMEDETO RYO-CHAN~!” my parents , Chihiro-nee, Misaki, and the HSJ members greeted.

My mom was holding a strawberry cake she probably baked for me.

“Minna, what the heck are you doing? Scaring me like that! And you guys, YOU LEFT ME AT THE JE BUILDING telling me that you all have something important to do.” I said and acted as if I’m angry.

“Yes this is the something important that we need to do.” Yuto said then took a photo of me.

I smiled to them.

They sang a birthday song for me.

“Blow the candles now, but before that make sure to have a wish.” Keito said as if he was already eager to eat the  cake.

I closed my eyes and form my wish silently.

Kamisama, thank you for all the blessing you gave to me , to my family and friends. If there is one thing I want right now…its… Mirai. I wanted to see her and finally confess my feelings for her.

I open my eyes and blew the candles.

Wait! There is one person I also wanted to be here.

“Sorry guys for the wait~!”

I suddenly looked at the direction of our front door.

“RYU~!” I exclaimed when I saw Morimoto Ryutaro approaching.

“Happy birthday Yama-chan ~!” he greeted me and handed me his gift.

“Nani kore? You really surprised me.” I said and even hugged him. I really miss this guy.

“I invited him.” Chinen said.

“Well since it’s been a long time since the last time we bond, the 10 of us. Mori was kinda busy with his life now, but we still be able to contact him because of Shintaro.” Yabu said.

I smiled.

“This is the best birthday ever! Thanks minna.” I said before we start to dig in the food mom has prepared.

--

It’s already past 1 in the morning when I finally rested my body on my bed.

Tomorrow is our concert, I have to concentrate.

I checked my phone. I was surprised to see many birthday messages from my friends, co-workers, and relatives. At last I’ve check the last 2 mails I received. One came from an unknown number, and the other one is from Kamiki.

I almost drop my phone upon reading Miki’s message.

‘I’ll confess to Mirai-san tomorrow. Its her birthday right? I think this is the right time. Can you come to our meeting place after your concert? I’m nervous when it comes to this. You’re my best buddy that’s why I wanted you to help me. Please?-R”

It says.

I felt millions of needles pricked my heart upon reading his message.

Uso deshou? It can’t be. But Im not in the place to get jealous.Why Miki?

I felt tears started to form at the corner of my eyes.

This can’t be happening.

I sleep without reading the last text message coming from an unknown number.

--

The next day, I barely concentrate at our concert. I frequently made mistakes. I sang the wrong lyrics. I missed my part. I missed a dance step. I ruined everything.

I felt disappointed on myself.

“What is happening to you Ryo-chan? I see you’re kinda disturb?” Yabu asked while having a 15 minutes break.

“You made mistakes on your solo.” Yuya added.

“I-I’m not feeling well. Sorry.”

“Is it because of our late party last night?” Chinen asked.

“Nope. I – well, its nothing. I’m sorry for the mistakes I’ve done.” I said and prepared for the next part of the concert. The MC part.

As we get our signal to come out, I released a deep sighed and tap my cheeks to concentrate.

We were talking about various things at the stage, until Yabu interrupted.

“Minna-san, since its Yama-chan’s birthday, we have a surprised for him.” Yabu excitedly said.

The fans screamed upon hearing Yabu’s statement.

“What is happening? I thought you guys already surprised me yesterday.” I said and laughed but I was kinda nervous of what is it.

Hikaru signaled the staff men and from behind, the staffs went to the stage with a strawberry cake.

“Kawaii ~!” I said as I looked at the cake they presented to me.

“Wait Yama-chan, before you blow those candles, we have a special guest who also celebrated her birthday today.” Chinen said.

Mirai’s name immediately registered on my mind.

I look around and tried to find her, but to my dismay I saw a girl in facial mask walking towards the stage with Kamiki. I think she’s an international fan, ‘because her hair is blonde and she doesn’t resembled Mirai’s face even if she has a mask.

And speaking of Kamiki, what the heck is he doing here?

I just looked at him with full of questions on my face, but as always he just gave me a smile.

 

End of Ryosuke’s POV

 

__

Someone’s POV

“What the heck are you doing Miki-san?!” I said as he pulled me up to the stage. I tried to struggle but his grip was too tight.

“Getting you up on the stage to blow your candles with Yamada Ryosuke.” He said and smiled

“I don’t want! I-Its embarrassing.”

I don’t want to see him. That’s the last thing I wanted to do. Standing beside him, while he’s looking confused on our direction. This is all Miki’s fault.

“is it embarrassing to be with your idol?”

I didn’t respond.

Miki smiled and continued to pull me on the stage.

When I’m already at the stage, I felt my heart beats fast, especially when I saw thousands of people looking at me. I felt my cheeks went hot. Good thing Miki said that I should wear a mask.

“Anou, you are?”

I snapped when I heard Ryosuke asked me a question.

You don’t know me? How dare--- wait!

I check myself.

Shimatta ! I forgot.

 “Her name is Megumi.” Kamiki answered.

“Minna-san~! Let’s welcome Kamiki Ryunosuke-san and Megumi-san on the stage. Kamiki-san said that Megumi-san is a big fan of our Ryo-chan, and today she’s also celebrating her birthday. Sugoi ne~” Yabu cheerfully said.

I heard the fans screamed.

My breath stopped when Ryosuke went near to me and hold gently my arm to guide me at the center.

I looked at Kamiki but he’s just smiling as if enjoying the scene he was seeing right now.

I hate you. I muttered.

“Let’s interview first Megumi. Megu-chan, we heard from Kamiki-san that you’re his distant relative?” Chinen asked.

WHAT?! Where the hell did get that idea?

“I.. uhmmm. Yes?”

“Wow sugoi! Actually it’s been an honored to have Kamiki-san here, since we’re classmates during highschool.” Chinen said.

“So Megu-chan, what are you feeling right now?” Daiki asked.

“E-Eh?” I looked around and stopped at Ryosuke. “I-uhh.. wel..”

“Maybe she’s nervous! She’s mesmerized with my charisma. Right Megu-chan?” Ryosuke said and smiled.

WHAT? ! where the hell did you get that idea? And please stop smiling like that !

I felt my face went red.

“Oh my! She’s blushing Ryosuke!” Hikaru said while teasing me.

“Let’s just blow the cake to finish this embarrassing scene.” I coldly whispered to Yabu who is next to me.

“Alright minna~! Let’s have them to blow the candles.” Yabu said.

Ryosuke slightly bent down to blow the candles while I’m just standing and watching him.

“What’s wrong? Its your birthday too right? Come on let’s blow these candles together.” He said and smiled.

But I remained standing.

And before I knew it, Miki pushed me. My eyes went wide as our faces were only a few inches away from each other. We stared for each other for a couple of seconds.

Good thing I have a mask.

*doki doki doki doki*

Doushiyo?

I was just staring at him the whole time while he already blow the candles.

 

End of POV

--

Ryosuke’s POV

I’m patiently waiting at the backstage, waiting for Kamiki.

I’m freaking nervous as seconds passed by.

He’s gonna confess to Mirai and I don’t know what to do.

He’s my best friend. I don’t want to be selfish but…

“Sorry for the wait.” Miki said as he entered the dressing room.

“Its okay.”

“Let’s go? Mi-chan is waiting. I’m nervous on how this confession will turn out.”

“Ganbatte.”

“Unn!”

We left the JE building and went to an amusement park.

“What are we doing here? I thought—“

“She’s here.” He said and pointed at a certain direction.

I look at the direction he was pointing. My heart pounded fast as I saw Mirai standing at a post while looking at her phone as if he was waiting for someone.

“Ikou?” Miki said and grabbed my hand.

“Eh? Chotto!”

Before I knew it, we were already infront of her.

She was surprised to see me.

“Miki! W-what’s the meaning of this? First at the con—“

“There’s a reason for this Mi-chan.” he said and smiled.

“What?”

Okay, I don’t know what’s really happening.

“Ja, I’ll leave the two of you. This is the best birthday gift that I could gave to the both of you. Ganbatte.” Kamiki said.

“What? Wait , Im confused I thought you’re confessing to her?” I asked him.

“EH?” Mirai reacted and exchange her looks to the both of us.

Miki just smiled and dash off, leaving the two of us.

“WAIT!” I said and tried to run after him. I looked back at Mirai who was now confused of what is really happening.

Okay this is awkward.

“A-anou,”

“Eh?”

“I guess Miki were just teasing me. Sorry if you got involved.”

She just looked away, trying to have an eye contact with me.

“I-Ii yo. It’s nothing.” She said. “I also play along with it.”

“Eh? What do you mean?”

She shook her head.

“Betsuni.”

I sighed. Since we’re already here, I think this is my chance, my very big chance.

“Anou,” I started.

“Hmm?”

I think my words suddenly back off when she looked at me.

“I- ahmmm,” I sighed.

I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY ! DARN RYOSUKE! Don’t be so timid !

“Anou,” we were both surprised when we both speak at the same time.

She smiled.

*doki doki*

“You first.” We both said.

“No, ladies first.” I insisted

“NO. It should be you.” She said.

I sighed.

“Happy Birthday Mi-chan.” I said and smiled. “I don’t have anything to give to you right now. Im sorry.”

“Its okay. Belated Happy birthday too. Well I don’t know if you receive the text message I sent to you last night.” She said.

“Text message? What text message?”

“EH? You didn’t read it?” she was surprised of what I said.

I immediately get my phone and check my messages. But unfortunately I already deleted all the text messages last night.

She sighed.

“Yappari.” She chuckled.

Oh that laugh!

“Gomen nasai.” I said in an embarrassment.

Okay this is really awkward.

She just laughed.

I slightly smiled.

Okay Ryosuke. You’re forever DOOMED!

“It’s okay if you didn’t read it. I don’t know how to face you if ever you read that.” She said and looked away.

“W-Why? Is there something written in the message?”

She shook her head. “Betsuni. Well I need to go. I still have many things to do. Nice to see you again after how many years”

She bowed and took a few steps away from me.

Think Ryosuke ! this is your chance ! YOUR FIRST AND LAST CHANCE!

Before I could react, my body began to move towards her direction. I grabbed her arm and pulled her to my arms.

She was surprised of what I did.

“Chotto Ryo-chan, what are you doing?” she asked.

But I remain silent. I hugged her tight, conveying all my hidden feelings for her all ever since we were young.

“Ryo-chan?” she asked in a whisper and tried to push me away, but I stay stiff.

Ryo-chan she says, it’s the first time she called me by that. She used to call me Yamada-kun.

“I wanted to say this for a very long time, but I’m afraid that you will reject me.” I said and released her to face me.

She’s just looking at me with a very serious face.

I gulped.

This is it Ryosuke. No turning back!

I was about to continue my confession but she spoke before I did.

“How can you say so? You’re not even trying.”

I was surprised by her statement.

“W-What?”

She smiled and I was surprised when she pinched my nose.

“You’re afraid that I will reject you right? Why assumed that when you’re not even trying to confess?” she said.

“Y-You knew?”

“Know what?” she chuckled.

Okay she’s teasing me.

“That I love you?”

FINALLY! But ---

She released herself and turned her back from me.

“I knew it all along. Miki told me.”

I was dumbfounded when I heard what she said.

“Eh?”

“I was just waiting you know. When we were in high school, I thought that you will confess to me, but im wrong. You seemed not interested in me, that’s why I doubted what Miki told me. He loves to tease me though. I thought that he was just making stories.” She said and chuckled a bit.

EH? SHE KNEW IT ALL ALONG?! Miki ! You !!!

“I-I thought that you’re also not interested in me,” I said. “That’s why I didn’t confess.”

She just lowered her head and kicked the small stones on the ground.

“and I don’t know what to do if ever you reject me.” I added.

She sighed and smiled. She looked at me, meeting my eyes.

“You’re really funny Ryo-chan. who would have thought that the charismatic , y and strawberry freak of Hey Say JUMP was very timid when it comes to love.” She said while laughing.

My face went red. Okay she’s embarrassing me.

She turned her back again from me.

“But, that’s the one thing I like about you.”  She said before she walked away from me.

What? DID I HEARD IT RIGHT? What are you doing RYOSUKE ! FOLLOW HER !

I moved from my spot and once again grabbed her arm and pulled her to me. But this time as she turned around, I bent my head over and met her lips.

Her eyes went wide probably because of shocked, but she didn’t push me.

It lasted for only a couple of seconds, but Im sure it finally conveyed my hidden feelings for her for a long time.

“I-I’m sorry if I did that.” I said as an apology when I that she’s just looking at me.

She just shook her head.

“Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.” She said and slightly bowed her head.

I smiled widely and hugged her tight.

“I love you, Mi-chan. Happy birthday.” I whispered to her ear.

No more confession to be made. Just a simple act is worth a thousand of words need to be spoken.

“Thanks for earlier, though im a bit nervous you’ll find it out.” She said.

I automatically released her.

“What are you saying?” I curiously asked.

She smiled and gets something from her bag.

I was surprised when she wore the blonde wig she gets on her bag, then she also wore the mask.

“You’re the girl from earlier ? !”

She nodded.

“well its Miki’s plan. Oi! Just come out where you’re hiding. KA-MI-KI!” she said and looked behind me.

I turned my sight from where she was looking. To my surprise I see Miki together with the whole HSJ grinning at me.

“Way to go Ryo-chan ~!” Chinen teased me.

“You knew all of this?”

They all nodded.

I scratched my head as a sign of frustration.

“Don’t be mad Ryo-chan, if Miki didn’t planned this, I’m sure there will be no chance of getting you and Mirai together.” Yabu said.

Miki just smiled and gave me thumbs up.

I sighed.

“You guys are the worst!” I jokingly said.

“But because of us you finally confessed to her, though you just kissed her and that’s it.” Yuya said.

“Because he’s slow that’s why I already took the chance to take part at Miki’s plan.” Mirai said and laughed.

We all laughed at what she said. I cupped her face with my hands and gave her another kiss.

 I don’t care if the other members were there or if many people were watching over us. I know for sure that this scene will be publicized on social network tomorrow. But I don’t care. This is our day and no one can ruin this very special day.

“I Love you Mi-chan, I always do” I whispered as I touch my forehead with hers.

“I love you too Ryo-chan, since we were kids.” she said.

I smiled and kissed her again.

End of Ryosuke’s POV

--

*click*

Chinen smiled as he captured the sweet moments of Ryosuke and Mirai.

“To the sweetest couple in the world, Happy Birthday! Congrats!” he typed and clicked the post button on his blog.

He knows that the photo he uploaded will ‘cause a ruckus on the social network later. But the whole group doesn’t care, as long as Ryosuke finally let his feelings reach to the girl he really loves for a long time.

After a few minutes, the photo became viral. Few said it was edited, few were tried to guess the identity of the girl, many were surprised about Ryosuke and Mirai in a relationship, but many were also keeps posting “Congratulations YamaShi”.

But one comment caught his attention.

“Congrats to them! Can I also confess? I love the person who uploaded this. I know you, chibi-chan.”

He knows only one person who calls him ‘chibi-chan.’

Just wait Umi-nii.

--

END