Chapter 19

When I Needed You Most

Baekhyun froze. He considered jumping out of the window, he was on the first story this time so it wouldn't end too badly. He glanced around, Jongsu was staring at him with concern.

"Hyung I don't like him" He whispered.

"Me either," Baekhyun said, putting a hand protectively on Jongsu's back. Baekhyuns mother stood up, smiling.

"Hello! I'm so glad you stopped by dear!" She walked up and hugged Chanyeol. As soon as she let him go Minseok was standing in front of him with his arms crossed. It was almost comical the height difference but they all knew Minseok was buff and terrifying.

"I thought I made it clear what would happen if you came back." He said in a low voice.

"Usually, that voice turns me on but now I'm kinda scared," Luhan whispered.

"There's a kid here," Baekhyun said with disgust.

"Considering jumping out the window?"

"Maybe."

Taeyeon came back to the table, "Baekhyun, did you guys like date or something?" she asked seriously. Baekhyun groaned and put his head in his hands on the table. Jongsu comfortingly patted his back, "so yeah?"

"Yeah they did." Luhan said, "But his mom doesn't know."

"Yikes," Taeyeon said.

"Hyung," Jongsu was pulling on Baekhyun's sleeve and looking up with wide eyes,

"What's up?"

"Can I go to your room please." He was staring at Chanyeol with trepidation.

"Yeah of course. Clear your place and don't step on the gingerbread house okay? I'll be in in a couple minutes to check on you." Baekhyun said, following the childs gaze. He accidentally locked eyes with Chanyeol and found himself unable to tear his eyes away. He felt a burning in his stomach, anger? confusion? hurt? Everything was such a mess.

Jongsu slipped out of his seat and put his bowl and chopsticks in the sink before quickly going back to Baekhyun's room. Baekhyun was still staring at Chanyeol. He seemed unable to move, he wasn't sure if he even wanted to.

Taeyeon came behind him and put her hands protectively on his shoulders but he barely even registered her touch. Chanyeol slowly walked towards him, as if waiting for someone to attack him.

"Can we talk?" He asked Baekhyun.

"We can talk." Luhan stood up between them, breaking Baekhyun's gaze, "you skipped your last month of rent."

"I don't want to talk to you," Chanyeol said with a strained voice.

"Well, then you shouldn't have skipped rent." Luhan said arms crossed, "You owe me 71,000 won."

Chanyeol stopped, then rolled his eyes, "Fine I'll pay you rent for that month. Can I talk to Baekhyun now?"

"Sorry, visiting hours are over. Visiting hours are between 3 am and 3:01 am, appointments must be booked at least three months in advance." Luhan had a venom in his voice that warmed Baekhyuns heart. Taeyeon squeezed his shoulders.

"Luhan just let-" Chanyeol began, Baekhyun stood up abruptly, surprising everyone.

"Five minutes." He said, staring down at Chanyeol, which was difficult because Chanyeol had a good five inches on Baekhyun.

"Alone," Chanyeol said. He looked almost desperate.

"No," Luhan said,

"Fine." Baekhyun put a hand out to stop Luhan from speaking, "follow me." Baekhyun didn't look at his mother or Luhan or Minseok and especially not Taeyeon.

He went to the backyard, it was snowing again and Baekhyun wished he had a coat but he wasn't going to let Chanyeol see his weakness.

"Can we talk inside?" Chanyeol shivered.

"Four minutes thirty seconds," Baekhyun said, looking at his watch.

"Fine, I know you hate me that's fine but need you to know something."

"Four minutes."

"Stop talking for like four seconds." Chanyeol glared at him. Baekhyun didn't say anything. He dug his toe into the snow, letting the cold that seeped through his shoes keep him grounded. "I didn't want to hurt you, I hope one day you'll understand that."

"Okay."

"I just... I know you are close with the Kim family but Baek they are bad news."

"Noted."

"I mean you should stay away from them."

"Okay."

"Are you even listening to me?" Chanyeol stepped closed, Baekhyun stepped back, finally looking up at Chanyeol.

"I'm listening okay?"

"This is important." Chanyeol took another step forward, crowding Baekhyun onto a table.

"Two minutes."

"Just, listen, whatever happens, okay just...I never wanted to hurt you."

"Well, you did so..." Baekhyun looked down, he didn't want Chanyeol to sense his weakness. Chanyeol relaxed a little, Baekhyun couldn't see his face but by his body language, he could tell he was tired.

"Baekhyun I- I'm sorry." It sounded heavy.

"Well I'm sorry too but I can't forgive you," Baekhyun said, deciding the time was up. He pushed past Chanyeol and went inside to his room. Jongsu was lying on his bed playing a game on his old Gameboy. Baekhyun closed the door and crawled in bed next to Jongsu.

"Hyung are you okay?" Jongsu asked, putting the game down and looking at Baekhyun. He tried to smile but he couldn't. A hot, angry tear rolled down his cheek.

"I'm fine Jongsu." Baekhyun lied. Jongsu reached up and began Baekhyun's arm. Baekhyun wanted to cry even harder at the tenderness of Jongsu, the sweetness.

"What game were you playing?" Baekhyun asked, sitting up a little and putting his arm around Jongsu. Jongsu settled into his shoulder and pulled the game back out.

"Legend of Zelda." He said, turning it back on.

"that's my favorite!" Baekhyun said, watching the eight-year-old play the game was relaxing in a way he never thought possible. Eventually, he fell asleep, his head on Jongsu's head.

He woke up some time later to Taeyeon on the edge of his bed, shaking his leg gently.

"Hey sweetie," He opened his eyes and for a second was disoriented. Jongsu had fallen asleep on him, the game still in his lap,

"What time is it?" He asked, careful not to move and disturb Jongsu.

"About eleven."

"What happened?" Taeyeon handed him a glass of water.

"Well, after you came inside and went straight to your room Minseok told us not to disturb you, went outside for about ten minutes, and then came back in. Chanyeol looked really upset but he left pretty quickly. Your mom is asleep on the couch."

"This has been the worst day of my life." Baekhyun said, "I didn't even call Jongdae."

"It's fine. He's busy anyway. Just go back to sleep okay? I'm gonna take Jongsu home." She reached over to shake the kid but Baekhyun grabbed her arm.

"why don't you guys just stay the night. It's late and I don't want you to worry about getting home. He's already comfortable."

"Alright," Taeyeon smiled gently. "Can I borrow a shirt or something to sleep in?"

"Uh yeah," Baekhyun tried to figure out how to move without waking up Jongsu, who had snuggled closer to him.

"I'll get it," Taeyeon said, smiling. She found a clean tee shirt faster than Baekhyun probably could have and quickly changed. "Is there room for one more?" She asked. There wasn't, but Baekhyun wasn't going to kick her out and his mom was on the couch so there's not really anywhere else she could sleep.

He extracted himself from Jongsu and was able to sit up, "I'll be right back, I have to pee." He said, slowly leaving the room. He didn't go to the bathroom, he went to the kitchen and found his phone charging on the counter, Minseok probably plugged it in.

He walked quietly so he wouldn't wake up his mom, and went to Luhan's empty room.

Without really thinking about what he was going to do, he dialed Jongdae.