Chapter 4

Case Closed

The siren from the police cars completely ruined the peaceful atmosphere. The police's yellow lines that printed with the words "Do Not Cross" hung from tree to tree surrounded the crime scene. Calvin walked down the pathway that led right to the picnic table. When he saw the roses and the food, he couldn't help but started laughing. Chun followed behind and immediately knew what had caused Calvin into such a state.

"Chun, look! He... He even bought flowers! Red roses! Oh my! That's not what our Aaron would do!" Calvin covered his mouth as an attempt to shut it.

"Oh come on! Have pity on him! He's in love, you know," Chun patted Calvin's back as he spoke.

"You guys need to be serious. We have a case in our hands," Ella reminded them as she walked pass the picnic table to where the black bags were. Her hands were gloved and her face wore a solemn look.

"Yes, ma'am!" Chun called out and followed her footsteps. He dragged Calvin along with him, who was still couldn't quite control his emotion.

"Hi Gui Gui! Hey Aaron!" Chun greeted.

"Hey!" Calvin, finally pulled himself together, said.

"What took you guys so long to get here?" Aaron questioned them. His left arm wrapped around Gui Gui's shoulders, while the other one held out a piece of tissue for her. The corpse left a deep impression in her memory.

"Calvin was dumbstruck by your sudden romanticism so we were held back a bit," Chun answered while Calvin looked like his face was about to explode. "Gui Gui, are you alright?" He added when he saw her eyes were filled with tears.

"I... I'm...fine.. It's just....The victim....She was so ...young when she...died..." Gui Gui replied with hiccups in between her words, "I feel... sorry..for her!" With that, she broke into tears. She lean her head against Aaron's shoulder and continued crying. Aaron patted her back comfortingly.

At first, when she caught a glimpse of the body, all she thought about was how scary it looked. But after the fear was gone, she realized the pain. The victim was so young, yet she had to suffered such a horrible fate. She probably had dreams to accomplish, a bright future waiting, a loving boyfriend and a caring family. Now, all that left of her was a dismembered body. Suddenly, Gui Gui felt so lucky. She had Aaron by her side to keep her safe...And make her happy. She should value what she had at the moment before it was too late.

"Aaron, why don't you take her to the picnic table, away from here," Chun suggested.

"OK. I will be back," Aaron mouthed the words over Gui Gui's shoulders and led her away. He didn't even notice Ella, his new team member. Gui Gui's tears blinded him.

"So, what do we have here?" Chun asked Ella after the couple had left. He walked closer to the bags and the smell struck him like lightning. He had to cover his nose with his handkerchief. Calvin did the same.

Ella knelt down before the bags and examined them. Alex, the forensic scientist, knelt beside her, busying himself with one of the bag.

"A body of a young girl. About between 25 and 30 years old, according to what Alex told me. Her body was dismembered. Her head and arms are in one bag. Her upper torso is in another. Her legs and lower torso are in the last one," Ella said indifferently.

"No wonder why Gui Gui is so upset. This is so...inhumane," Calvin said. His joking attitude was gone the moment he saw the body.

"Any idea about the cause of death?" Chun asked.

"I have to take the body back to the lab for a proper autopsy. Then I can give you a solid answer," Alex answered.

"Alright. I will leave that to you, Alex," Chun said. He moved on to the crime scene itself. It wasn't exactly where the murder took place. It was just where Aaron found the body. Either way, there must be some crucial evidence somewhere in the water, or the woods, that could help them in the investigation.

Calvin and Chun walked around and scanned every inch of the forest floor. There were two boats roaming the river for any remaining.

Aaron returned fifteen minutes later. Gui Gui had stopped crying. He felt that it was safe to leave her alone and ran down to the crime scene. He soon join the searching forces.

Approximately an hour later, an officer called out from the opposite side of the river bank, "Detectives, you might want to come and take a look at this!"

The trio ran across the low bridge ,where Aaron retrieved the bags, to the other side of the river bank.

"What is it?" Aaron asked the officer.

"It looked like someone was enjoying the chaos," the officer pointed at a spot under a big, old oak tree.

There was a small wooden chair on the ground surrounded by a lot of freshly quenched cigarette butts.

"Finally, some clues!" Calvin said in relief.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhen was really satisfied. His hard work had really paid off. The police would never be able to find him. Never!

"Eleven more to go...Lin, are you happy with my sacrifice?" He mumbled to himself as he looked up at the clear blue sky. Lin was up there somewhere, watching his every move. She would protect him from any danger. She would be his guardian angel.

The only problem he had to face at the moment was who would be his next victim? Who was worthy enough?

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm so hungry! Let's go out for lunch after we done," Chun suggested.

They were still at the river bank, collecting evidences. Chun and Calvin were exhausted under the burning sun. They retreated to the picnic table and sat down with Gui Gui. Aaron was, of course, enthusiastically looking for more clues.

"All you ever think about is food!" Calvin teased.

"Aren't we live to eat?" Chun asked innocently.

"Aw, baby Chunie is hungry!" Gui Gui said the way she would to a three-year-old kid. She felt a little better although the body's image seemed to glued into her brain.

"Don't call me that!" Chun whined.

"Look who's whining!" Calvin laughed. Chun picked up a stick from the ground and used it to hit Calvin's head.

"What's wrong with you? So violence!" Calvin complained as he shield his head away from Chun's reach.

Ella approached them from behind. She had heard the whole conversation. Chun was quite like a baby with his big eyes. And even acted like one! Interesting! She found her new teammates friendly and easy to work with. At least they love to crack a few jokes here and there to loosen the dense air. Her old team wasn't like that. Everyone was all serious and stiff. For the past few hours working with them, Ella had the chance to really observed each one closely. Calvin love to joke around and very carefree. Chun, on the other hand, could be very serous when something caught his attention, although he acted childish at times.

"Hey, what are you guys doing with that stick when everyone else is working?" Ella said in a cold tone, pretended like she was mad.

"Oh, I'm...We're sorry! We..." Chun dropped the stick in mid-air and stuttered out an answer.

"Got you!" Ella laughed. Her face loosen into a smile.

"Ella, you really scared us a second ago!" Calvin exclaimed.

Ella sat down at the table next to Gui Gui. "I didn't know you guys are so easy to trick!" Turned to Gui Gui, she said, "Hello! I'm Ella Chen. I just transferred here."

"Nice to meet you, Ella!" Gui Gui said with a big smile.

"Don't let her princess-like face fool you, Ella. Gui Gui is a real trouble!" Chun said.

"What?!" Gui Gui shot a deadly look at Chun, who seemed to melt in his seat.

"Chun is absolutely right. She always bring Aaron troubles!" Calvin added. He didn't learn from Chun's example.

"Aaron? Is he the one who found the body?" Ella asked.

"Yes. And that girl there is his precious little ghost!" Chun gestured his finger at Gui Gui. Her face reddened.

"Oh..Look at her! She's blushing!" Calvin surely had fun teasing people.

"Cut it out!" Gui Gui covered her cherry red face.

"Gui Gui, don't worry, I will take care of them for you. I have black belt in Karate, just so you know," Ella said and stood up like she was preparing to fight.

"Oh no!!!!" Both Chun and Calvin jerked back.

They were interrupted when Aaron approached.

"Aaron!" Gui Gui shouted out his name and immediately ran toward him. He looked tired, but his face lit up the moment he saw her.

"Are you alright now?" He asked with concern in his voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she answered. "Any luck?"

"No. Except for some cigarette butts and a wooden chair, there are nothing else useful. We have to wait for the autopsy report for more information," Aaron signed.

"Aaron, let's me introduce you to your new team mate!" Gui Gui said eagerly as she pulled him to the picnic table.

"She's Ella Chen. She will be in your team from now on!"

"Hello. Sorry I didn't notice you earlier," Aaron said.

"It's understandable," Ella replied.

"Well, I guess we're done then," Chun looked at the police cars started to depart. "Let's go grab something to eat. I'm starving!"

"That's a good idea," Ella agreed.

The other three found that reasonable too since it was noon already.

All of them headed to the nearest restaurant for lunch....Leaving behind a homicide. They would take care of it later when their stomachs were full!