Chapter 8

Blood Difference

 

Hit the road

Dawn greeted the earth warmly and it was definitely heart warming to see the sun rising up, representing hope.

Gui Gui stood at the window, mesmerised by this beautiful scenery when Wu Xiong called out in a pleading tone.

Wu Xiong: Could you please close the curtain. I hate the sun…

Gui Gui gasped as she had almost forgotten the fact that she was sharing the room with a vampire.

Gui Gui: But the sun is not a lethal weapon to vampires right?

Huddling comfortably beneath the blankets with her eyes half-closed, Wu Xiong replied lazily: Sunlight won’t kill but it greatly reduces our power and make us feel dreadful. That’s why vampires hate sunlight.

Just then, there was a knock on the door, accompanied by a familiar voice: Hey, open up, it’s me.

Gui Gui hurried to the door to let Xiu in.

Xiu removed his large coat that he was seeking shelter under while stepping into the room.

Xiu: God, its scorching hot out there. I hate it.

Wu Xiong mumbled: Told you. We hate the sun.

Gui Gui sighed before asking: Where’s Aaron?

Xiu shrugged: Beats me.

Before Gui Gui could reprimand Xiu for being clueless, Aaron stepped into the room with a paper bag in his hand.

Aaron said with sarcasm: You guys could keep the door opened to allow other vampires in.

Gui Gui sighed: It was all his (points to Xiu) fault.

Ignoring Gui Gui’s comment, Xiu sat up straight and asked with great curiosity and interest: What’s in the bag? It smells like food…..hang on…..it smells like stale food.

Gui Gui: Food? I’m famished!

Without another word, she grabbed the bag from Aaron’s hands and ransacks it. However, to her greatest disappointment, the ‘food’ that Xiu meant was blood. The sight of the bags of blood disgust Gui Gui, destroying her appetite for breakfast.

Xiu looked into the bag and surprisingly, he wore the same disgusted expression as Gui Gui.

Gui Gui: *puzzled* What’s wrong? I thought you would love it?

Xiu: Oh please, pig’s blood? No thanks.

Gui Gui: What’s wrong with it? I thought all blood is the same to you? Don’t tell me you choose blood types as well! *rolls her eyes*

Xiu: Come on. It smells different! Your blood would be rich, nice and sweet but that bag of stuff? It’s like….stale food for you. Do you eat food that’s expired? And by the way, I prefer AB as the blood type. They have richer taste and….

Gui Gui interrupts him quickly: There’s no need to continue. I’m not interested.

Aaron: You know I would give you this. Just take it or leave it.

Just then, like a flash of lightning, the bag was taken away by Wu Xiong, who suddenly woke up at the mention of blood.

She took the bag of blood and sped out of the room under her blanket while calling out to Xiu: I reckon you don’t want it so I can have it all huh?

The rest were taken aback by her sudden movement, especially Xiu, who saw his bag of ‘food’ being snatched away in a split second.

Xiu: *Shouted while pursuing* Hey come back right now!
With that, Xiu left the room with his jacket covering each inch of his exposed flesh, leaving Aaron and Gui Gui alone in the room.

Gui Gui laughed heartily: I thought he didn’t want it?
Aaron gave a short chuckle in response.

When the two of them realised that they were alone in the room, they fell into an awkward silence.

Gui Gui POV: It’s so awkward….will he talk about what happened yesterday?

Gui Gui vividly remembered what happened the previous night. Aaron confiding in her, crying, hugging her, fell asleep on her shoulder, woke up and their eyes met in an awkward moment, they both returned to their room without another word, all the way till this moment.

Gui Gui half hoped he would mention about yesterday, or even tell her more about his partner. After all, she felt inappropriate to ask him about his partner yesterday.

However, Aaron seemed to have no intention of continuing the incomplete conversation about his partner for he speaks of something totally unrelated.

Aaron: I shall pack up for tonight’s journey. I reckon it’s better to travel at night with the two of them at their best mode.

Gui Gui replied rigidly: Ok…

Without starting a conversation, Aaron walked towards the door. Just when Gui Gui thought he was back to his cool and arrogant self, he stopped right at the door and spoke.

Aaron: Thanks.

Needless to ask, she knew what Aaron meant. However, she did not know what to reply him as she sees him step out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Unable to control her thoughts, Gui Gui wonder what exactly is Aaron’s character.

Gui Gui: Aaron Yan, you seems so far yet so near, so arrogant yet so gentle, so strong yet so vulnerable. Which is your real self?
-----------------------------------------------------------

---At Night---

10pm

They hit the road as soon as the sun sets, with Wu Xiong and Xiu gaining back their strength and power rapidly. With fear of being tracked with the use of Xiu’s vehicle, the team had stolen a truck from a petrol station and had been travelling in it for the past 3 hours.

Wu Xiong: The good news is, we are not followed.

Gui Gui: But the bad news is, my back really hurts from the long ride.

Aaron, who was driving, pulled into a petrol station: The gas is running low; we shall take a short break here.

Aaron filled the gas tank while the rest went into the convenience store.

---Convenience store---

Wu Xiong: Well, there’s no food here, is there?

Gui Gui shot her a warning look: Shh, you don’t want to look suspicious, do you?

Xiu: Just look around for some supplements, Wu Xiong. We can still hunt later.

Gui Gui gave a quick look at the cashier who did not seem to hear their conversation. She heaved a sigh of relief.
She felt like carrying two time bombs with her. Unlike them, Aaron always gives her a sense of security.

Gui Gui POV: Speaking of Aaron, why is he taking so long?

Gui Gui took a peek behind Xiu and saw a terrifying sight outside. She was too loss for words and could only pull Xiu’s shirt to express herself.

Xiu looked at her: *roll eyes* All right, I won’t say anything about blood all right?

Gui Gui shook her head frantically and pointed out in fear.

Realising something amiss, Xiu turned and frowned: Damn it, they are here!

Within seconds, the glass door of the convenience store shattered as three vampires smashed through the shop.
Gui Gui could feel herself knocked onto the floor by Xiu who was sheltering her from all the glass pieces that were flying in all directions. Just when Xiu was about to pull her to safety, one of the racks toppled down and landed on top of Xiu and Gui Gui.

Gui Gui soon lost her consciousness as the rack hit her head.
------------------------------------------------------------
:)