prologue

crimson rain

  When the full moon rises, the people of Sokcho are advised to stay indoors as a safety precaution. For even a treaty made centuries ago cannot guarantee a night with no bloodshed and waking up tomorrow with no corpse laid out where everyone can see. A  full moon is known as the time the monsters get out. A time where every blood killer creeps away from their life as human into a side of them that they are forced to keep it away from the public eye most of the time.

  For a young man however, the full moon was another chance for him to see her again. The night could either end his life or turn it upside down. Either ways nothing was going to be the same after tonight. He knew as soon as he crossed the borders, the treaty was no longer valid to protect him from anything or anyone out there. Once he took a step outside town, if anything happens to him, he would just be another nameless victim.

  But each time he thought of turning back, he remembered her pale face and dark eyes staring into his soul. He remembered her pink tongue slipping out each time she hesitates wettening her lips. Her bright red lips, a clear contrast to her pale face. He remembered them feeling so soft against his own. 

  Even when he's tackled down and had his head shoved painfully in an awkward angle. But at the thought of her, he managed to muster up all his strength to push the young vampire off of him. By the look in the vampire's hungry red eyes, he could tell the guy was just a new changeling.

  With the changeling doing its very best to claw off his face, he had to act quick by kicking the guy in the crotch and grabbing his steel knife before stabbing him straight the changeling. He could hear her voice warning him of the hunger of a brand new changeling. A newly turned changeling is unable to control itself, unable to focus on anything else until the thirst is quenched.

  The knife didn't seem to do much in distracting the changeling, the other end sticking out much to his chagrin. Despite his attempt at kicking it away, the changeling immediately reattached itself to him, nails digging into his hips as the changeling hovered over him. His hand reached out to grab back his knife. The changeling barely flinched, only grinned manically as it hovered over him, sharp teeth glinting.

  By then he acted on instinct, and he punched the changeling straight in the face. He heard something crack and his hand hurt. With the changeling momentarily distracted, he took this opportunity to crawl away and get up.

  With the knife dripping in some kind of black goo that was supposedly blood, he plunged it down, aiming straight down through his head. The changeling hissed out and latched it's teeth on to his arm. The pain burned him inside out that he barely heard the wretchingly painful scream coming from him.

  He barely noticed the shift in the weight over him.

  The burn began to dull as the darkness slowly overtook him. The last thing he remembered was her beautiful face looking over him with such concern that all he really wanted to do was brush away those wrinkles.

  "Sunmi..."