Hoseok Next Door

Hoseok Next Door

Lexi was sitting at her computer, hands flying over her keyboard. She put the last full stop at the end of the chapter and stretched happily. “Finally finished this chapter!” she flopped back into the plush chair, using her legs to swivel gently side to side. Movement from outside the window caught her attention. She lazily pushed her chair over to the window. She looked down and saw her neighbour’s dog running around in her garden.

 

She was confused for a second before smiling at the energetic dog bolting around in her garden. She chuckled to herself before noticing her neighbour, Hoseok, jumping over the fence. “Come here you silly dog.” He said, a smile playing on his lips, obviously amused by the dog. “Come on, I’ll give you a treat!” he said in an attempt to entice the dog. The dog ran up to him and just when he reached down to grab it, it bounded away with a loud bark. He sighed loudly.

 

Lexi suppressed a chuckle as she watched Hoseok chase the dog around for another ten minutes before finally catching it. He nimbly climbed back over the fence, taking the dog with him. She smiled to herself as she returned her attention to her computer.

 

This situation ended up becoming a daily routine.

 

Everyday Lexi would be at her computer typing when she would hear Hoseok’s dog, which she now knew was called Mickey, barking loudly from her garden. She would watch Hoseok jumping the fence and chasing the cute dog around with a smile on her face. This went on for a week until she found herself sitting by the window actually waiting for Mickey, and more importantly Hoseok, to appear.

 

She had been neighbours with Hoseok for only a couple of months, they had spoken a few times, but not at great length. She knew they were around the same age and that he was a dancer, but she knew little else about him. He tended to keep strange hours because of his dancing classes.

 

One day she found herself sitting on the first floor, rather than in her office on the second floor, waiting for Mickey’s arrival. As if by clockwork, at three o’clock Mickey appeared through a small hole in the fence at the back of the garden. So that’s how he’s been getting through into my garden! She thought in amusement as she sipped on her tea. A few minutes later Hoseok appeared in her garden. “Again? Really?” he complained as Mickey ran around the garden as if he was teasing him.

 

Hoseok ran after the dog and managed to catch him with some difficulty. He scratched the dog behind the ears and stopped dead when he noticed Lexi by her window. “I’m so sorry! My dog… he managed to get into your garden! I was just trying to catch him! I’m your neighbour. I’m not a weirdo or anything!” he said as Mickey struggled in his grasp.

 

Lexi moved from the window to the large patio doors. She opened them up with a smile. “It’s ok. I saw him sneak through the fence.” Hoseok looked relieved. Mickey took his chance and jumped out of Hoseok’s arms and bounded up to Lexi. She crouched down and scratched the energetic dog behind his ears. “He’s so cute!” she gushed as he lay down, his way of demanding tummy rubs. Hoseok came up and crouched down beside her. “Yeah he’s cute, but he’s also a complete nuisance.” He said with a chuckle.

 

Mickey barked, as if he’d understood what Hoseok had said and jumped to his feet and proceeded to run around the garden. Hoseok tried calling him back but Lexi told him it was ok. “It’s alright. He can play here if he wants.” Hoseok gave her a guilty smile. “My old neighbour used to give him treats all the time. That’s why he sneaks over here.” Lexi nodded in understanding.

 

They sat at chatted for over an hour while Mickey played in the garden. It wasn’t until Hoseok’s phone rang that they realised how late it was. “Crap, I gotta run. I’ve got a class soon.” He said as he stood up and called for Mickey. Lexi stood up as well, “Well you and Mickey are more than welcome over anytime." She said as she smiled happily at Hoseok. He returned the smile, “I’m sure you’ll see us soon.” He said as he scooped up his dog and headed over to the fence. He nimbly jumped over and turned to wave goodbye. Lexi returned the wave before going back into her house.

 

She leaned against the door and smiled to herself. Hopefully I’ll see him again tomorrow… she thought to herself with a laugh as she headed back up to her office.