New start

Before Jin

Part 3

It took a while for Yoongi to decide that Jungkook was ready to meet Jin. All the kids at home asked Yoongi about him often. It seemed, somehow, that they already liked him even if they had only heard about him. Jimin, especially, asked if he’d live with them when he got out of the orphanage. Yoongi never dared to ask because they struggled enough, but Jin smiled and he said he could come if he wanted. He said that they would be fine.

Two years after Yoongi got out of the orphanage, he came back to greet Jungkook with someone else.

Jungkook felt betrayed.

Who was that? Why was he so nice to Yoongi? Why did Yoongi take him there? Why did Yoongi call him hyung? Yoongi never called Jungkook hyung. There was no reason to, since Yoongi was older than him, but still.

“My name is Jin” he said, “you can call me hyung whenever you want” he told him, with a huge smile put on his face. Jungkook was 14 at the time, while Jin was 19.

Jungkook looked at him awkwardly. And he was rude to him at first.

Jin would say “have a good night, Jungkook” and Jungkook would just look over his shoulder.

Jin would bring something for dinner and Jungkook would say he wasn’t hungry.

Jin would offer a helping hand, and Jungkook would pretend he was doing just fine.

Until Yoongi had enough of that. He asked Jin to leave first.

“Jungkook” said Yoongi. He didn’t sound like he was angry. He sounded worried.

Jungkook stared at him, blinking.

“Jin has made it easier for me. He is nice. He is a good friend. He is like… he reminds me of mom, you know?”

Jungkook didn’t know. He never had a mom. He only had Yoongi.

“I don’t” he replied.

“You do. You know I didn’t mean it like that” he shot back. He didn’t speak for a few long seconds, but he took a deep breath and he kept going. “He’s comfortable to be around. He doesn’t ask too many questions. He gave me a place to stay, and it’s like home. And I feel like I can finally breathe now. I can study for my exams. I can finally have breakfast and lunch and even dinner. I can talk to him. And I can come here every day to see you and he cares about you. He asks me how you’re doing. He asks me what kind of foods you like, and he mentions you before I do it myself. He cares about you because he cares about me too. Can you give him a chance, please? He wants to help.” He stopped to take a glance at Jungkook’s reaction. He was listening, so he kept talking.

“It won’t take long before you can leave this place and you can come with us. I feel like he’s my family too. And I have friends there. They want to meet you too. I told them they can come on your birthday if they want, and they said they will. If you’re…” he stopped talking. His voice was weak now.

Jungkook’s eyes were teary. Yoongi sounded happy, and Jungkook just didn’t have the heart to take that away from him. And why would he lie? If Yoongi had found a family, and if they wanted to meet him, he was fine with that. He wanted it too. He only knew Yoongi, but he somehow needed someone else too. He was an amazing friend. Well, not actually. Not at this point. They had a bond. They were brothers now. If Yoongi was happy, he wanted to know the people who made him happy.

 “I’m fine with it, hyung” he replied. He meant it. It was for real.

“Jin feels warm” he added. He wasn’t lying. Jin really felt warm. Like family is supposed to feel.

 That’s how it started for them.

 

By the time Jungkook could leave, he was already close to all the kids. He was the closest to Jimin, if you didn’t count his relationship with Yoongi. His bond with Yoongi was something beyond words, but he got along with Jimin easier than he expected.

He was excited to get to know them better.

Namjoon was really smart and he looked like an interesting hyung. He had helped him solve some Rubik cubes that he brought for him, and he was always fast solving them. He helped him with his homework and according to Yoongi, he was a good rapper. He said they worked together at the studio, because Yoongi was working as a producer, since he got a degree in Music in three years. Jungkook made it to his graduation after he begged Ms. Han for an hour or so. That day was the first time that Jungkook got to see them all outside the orphanage.

Jimin was fun to be around, and his laugh was too contagious. When Jungkook felt awkward around all of them at first, Jimin would tell Yoongi about it. He began bringing his favorite foods so that Jungkook could eat them, and he talked to him about videogames and girls. He said they didn’t have videogames at home, but he told him there were places where they could go and play for the entire day with a few cents. He also talked to him about this one girl at school that was super pretty. Jungkook didn’t say much because he had never talked to a girl, but Jimin’s words were more than enough for both of them.

Then, Taehyung was… weird. But a cool sort of weird. He’d laugh at the most random moments and his face was too easy to read. He couldn’t really hide how he felt about something. Even though, he could remember Jin saying that all of them had gone through a lot. He could tell from the rest, but not from Taehyung. So, he figured out Taehyung had really improved. Because he could read his face all the time, but he could’ve never guessed Taehyung knew what pain was.

Hoseok on the other side… Jungkook wanted to help him. He smiled a lot, and his smile made you smile along with him. But sometimes, most of the time, his eyes didn’t light up when he smiled. And he was quiet. Just like Jungkook used to be. There’s nothing wrong with being quiet, but Hoseok looked like he thought about sad things too often. One night, they came to visit without him. And when Jungkook asked, they said Hoseok was having a hard time, and that he needed to be alone. That scared Jungkook a lot.

When it comes to Jin, Jungkook always felt sorry that he acted like such a baby at first, because Jin was by far one of the most amazing persons he had ever met. The other kids were great too, but Jin was a bit different. It’s like they all relied on him a lot. Sometimes when they ordered in, and they didn’t agree on anything, they would look at Jin so that he’d give the final word. And they’d settle for whatever he said.  He always tried his best to choose the best for all of them. If he had a favorite member, which Jungkook had guessed to be either Namjoon or Taehyung, he never really showed it. 

Jin would always ask Jungkook how he was doing, and he actually waited for an answer. He listened well and he said the proper words every time. Namjoon, Taehyung and Yoongi said that he was like a mom, and Jungkook had decided that maybe they were right.

                If he had to put it simple, he was happy that he’d finally go home. He had never been to their house, and he had never lived with all of them before, but he trusted them. And Jin had promised Jungkook that he’d finish high school, and then he’d go to college. Jungkook didn’t know much about the future, but he knew he wanted to grow up to be someone like Yoongi and Jin, and all of them.

                He had a lot of plans, and a long road to walk. And he was so ready to have these kids running and jumping by his side. Like family is meant to do.


This is the last part for Yoongi and Jungkook, next update will be Jimin x Hobi :). Remember that this is kind of a full background story for Bulletproof, which is my main story. Thanks for reading!