A hard time

Before Jin

Jungkook and Yoongi - Part 2

Yoongi could perfectly remember the day that he met the boys. That day was the first and only time that he couldn’t visit Jungkook in four years. It was finals week. He had been awake until 4 am or so for five days in a row, studying for his exams and doing final projects. He hadn’t been eating properly either, and standing up for 8 hours at work, saying thank you to costumers and stuff, had left him exhausted. He was counting the hours to go home and get some sleep. Maybe he could sleep in because his teacher wouldn’t make it to his 8:00 am class. 

But then, when he was fixing some products, he fainted. He felt his head go dizzy and his chest felt hot and heavy. Next thing he knew, two boys were around him holding a bottle of alcohol in front of his nose. Yoongi freaked out.

“What the did just happen?” He had learn to swear, and oh God, he loved it.

Both of the boys helped him stand up and after they made sure Yoongi was fine, he checked their products. When his turn finished and he was about to leave, he saw them sitting down on a table. There were Tupperwares all over the place, and Yoongi wondered if they planned to have dinner there. He bowed a little bit, because he thought it wasn’t fair to leave just like that when they had helped him. One of them gave him a smile full of excitement. The other one gave him a goofy smile shaped in a rectangle while waving his hand in the air. He couldn’t help but think of Jungkook.

“Please enjoy your food” Yoongi said, bowing again and shifting a small smile.

“Oh come on, come here, we brought this for you” the one who looked like the youngest said. He had a lot of energy, to be honest.

Yoongi gave them a dumbfounded look.

 “I made this myself, please have some” the other said.

Yoongi looked behind him, and then to both sides, and then he pointed at himself with his finger. Both boys laughed as they invited him to come.

“Uh… why exactly… uhm… who…” the one with the rectangle smile stopped him from talking as he shoved a spoonful of food inside his mouth.

“Yummy, right?”

Yoongi nodded, struggling to pass the food through. It tasted like heaven, and it was melting inside his mouth.

“Oh, here” the other one gave him a bottle of tea. Yoongi bowed for like the tenth time.

“My name is Seokjin, but just call me Jin” he said, “and this is Taehyung, I call him Tae”.

Jin smiled shyly, while Taehyung moved his arms around as if he had drank ten cups of coffee.

“Yoongi” he said, shyly grabbing some rice.

“Don’t be such a baby”, Taehyung said. He took the box with rice and he added it all over the soup that Yoongi was eating and he mixed it for him. Jin, on the other side, put some meat on his bowl. Yoongi felt like crying. He hadn’t had meat or rice or a homemade meal since he had left the orphanage, and the food there wasn’t half as good as this.

He kept eating, while they looked at him. They looked quite excited, and Yoongi wondered just what the hell they were thinking.

“How old are you uh? Are you a hyung?” Taehyung asked.

“Jin hyung, do you think he’s your hyung?” he asked, again.

“Uh…  I was born in 92, he was born in 95… when were you born?” Yoongi looked up to Jin.

“93, I don’t mind if you call me hyung” he said to Taehyung. His mouth full of food. Hella delicious food.

“Yes, hyung” Taehyung looked like an excited puppy.

“You can call me hyung as well” Jin said this time. Yoongi smiled. Jungkook was the only person to call him hyung, so listening the words from someone who looked so happy about it gave him a feeling of pleasure. He wondered if, behind his shy words, Jin could feel that Yoongi was genuinely happy in that moment. He had never called someone hyung, since he was an only child, so saying it out loud wasn’t easy.

“Thank you, hyung” he said. Just like that, Jin felt glad that they had approached him.

“Uh… so, we were wondering if everything’s okay at home.” Taehyung’s smile kind of faded away after Jin’s words. It shocked Yoongi a little bit, so it took him a few seconds to reply.

“Or if you have a home?” Taehyung asked. Jin gave him a look. It reminded Yoongi of his own mother.

Yoongi smirked. Last thing he knew, he was crying. He had never told anyone about what he was going through. He was afraid of worrying Jungkook, so he had kept it for himself for a year now.

“I don’t have one yet.” That’s how much he wanted to say.

He didn’t want to start talking about his brother. About how they both lived at an orphanage, and how hard it is when you have to leave at age 16 to “explore the real world”. That’s how it felt right now for him. Like he was living an experience and all he did was make mistake after mistake. Just because he had been an orphan for four years didn’t mean he didn’t dream big. Jungkook had been an orphan his entire life and hell yes, he had dreams and plans too. You can’t throw a kid like that and expect him to do well on his own. He needed to put his life back together. He didn’t plan to let Jungkook find out about him fainting because he couldn’t eat. He had to find a way to get Jungkook and himself live a decent life before Jungkook could leave the orphanage.

In the end, all those words came out of his mouth. Yoongi looked up to find an understanding Jin and an emotional Taehyung. They were both listening. What was there to lose? He felt better than he had felt in years. It was like all the weight on his shoulders was slowly disappearing by just letting them know about it.to.

Jin put his hand on his shoulder and he told them it’d be alright. Suga, somehow, believed his words.

He began talking to them about the other kids. He mentioned every story with respect. He learned all the names he said by listening to them once: Namjoon, Hoseok, and Jimin, as well as Taehyung. He pronounced every name in a way that made Suga feel protected.

He wanted Jin to pronounce his name that way too.

By the end of their talk, he found out Jin had helped all of them. And they had helped each other too, but Jin gave all of them a place that they could call home. Taehyung said it simply.

We’re grateful that we found each other. But we’re all the most grateful about Jin, because he helped us see the road.