Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

February 14th. The day that Taeyeon most loathes ever since she and Tiffany broke up three months ago.

She’d like to say the breakup was mutual and that there were no hard feelings, but she couldn't. She had fallen in too deep which is why when Tiffany left, her heart shattered to pieces.

Even though she felt like a shell of herself going through the daily motions, Taeyeon was determined to get past February 14 without releasing a single tear.

9:00 A.M.

Taeyeon was waking up to a beautiful, sunny day. She could smell love in the air, the scent of freshly baked cookies and chocolate coming from nearby apartments.

Surprisingly, she felt at peace and wanted to embrace this special day with a bang. Sitting up, she clasped her hands together and prayed. 

“Wherever you are, I hope you have the worst luck today. May you run out of toilet paper while at work, may you wake up with a terrible bedhead that is so bad you can't fix it, may you get food poisoning from the crappy salad you usually eat, may a bird poop on your shoulder as you're getting your usual coffee. Amen.” Taeyeon did a little bow and got off the bed to start off the day with a huge smile on her face.

11:00 A.M.

With such a beautiful February 14th, Taeyeon couldn't not take a stroll around the park. 

Casually kicking a pebble as she followed the path, Taeyeon began to notice the reason for the knot in her stomach.

To her unsuspected horror, there were couples everywhere. Young ones, older ones, and even dog couples! 

They were all lost in each other's eyes and fully embracing Valentine's day as their day.

One couple, especially, had Taeyeon’s attention. They were both females and one was feeding the other some chocolate.

The entire scene made Taeyeon recall back to her time with Tiffany. It was such a wonderful, romantic memory that they had once shared.

“Get a freaking room, erts!” Taeyeon barked at the couple like a grumpy, bitter, old woman.

“Excuse me? Why are you screaming at us, lady?” Ms. I-Like-To-Feed-My-Girlfriend-Chocolates-In-Broad-Daylight stood up and shielded her girlfriend from Taeyeon’s icy glare.

“Because you're blinding my eyes with your excessive displays of affection, so knock it off already.”

The couple gasped in offense.

“Who the hell are you to be telling us what to do?!”

Taeyeon leaned forward, stared them dead in the eyes, and spoke slowly, “I can see the future. And you two will break up by this summer. She’ll be going off to a college far away, and you'll be stuck here, wishing you could join her but can’t because you have to run your family's mechanic shop.” Taeyeon deduced as she took note of the girl’s Seoul University sweater and the other girl’s callus hands and the oil smudged under her chin. 

“I-Is that true?” The girl stared teary-eyed at her girlfriend.

And when they were both sobbing, Taeyeon knew she had saved them from a whole lot of trouble later on.

Whistling and back to kicking the pebble, Taeyeon left as if she had just saved the world.

12:00 P.M.

Entering her company, she greeted her employees warmly. Oddly enough, they didn't reciprocate it back. They looked almost disgusted by her, and she would've asked them why if she hadn't noticed something pink through her peripheral vision.

Stopping dead in her tracks, she turned to the owner of the pink pen. 

“What the hell is this, Yuri?” Taeyeon asked in annoyance. “Have you forgotten the rules?” She pointed to the wall where a sign of February 14th Rules were laid out. 

Nothing pink or red is allowed.
No chocolate, no flowers, no balloons.
No gushy, sickening phone calls with your loved ones.
No words like ‘love,’ ‘hearts,’ and ‘kisses.’
No words of endearment or nicknames.
No kissy faces or googly eyes.
And especially, no mentioning the V-word (Valentine's day)

“I'm sorry, Ms. Kim.” Yuri said, looking anything but sorry.

With a scoff and a warning glare to everyone in the room, Taeyeon proceeded to march into her office.

Once she was inside, she sat on her seat and began to work. It wasn't long before she realized that her fingers had a mind of its own and that instead of clicking on the case files, she had opened up a folder consisting of pictures of her and Tiffany.

“Ms. Kim, I'm sorry for barging in but--oh! Are you okay, Ms. Kim? You're crying, do you need a tissue?”

Taeyeon glared at her secretary with puffy eyes. “Do I look like I’m crying?! I’m not crying!”

“No, of course, you're not.” The secretary quickly acted as she pretended not to notice the stream of tears rolling down her boss's cheeks.

“And don't you dare say that again. I never cry, especially not today, understood?”

The secretary nodded and excused herself to give her bipolar, contradicting boss some time alone. 

4:00 P.M.

After hours of ‘not’ crying, Taeyeon went home. It was time for her to put on her big girl and move on.

She needed to stop being so bitter and accept the fact that they were broken up.

And the first step was to get rid of that stuffed animal.

Squeezing the Totoro plush in her hands, she hugged it tightly. Tiffany’s scent was strongest in Totoro’s belly because the woman would always nuzzle her face there.

With one last sniff, Taeyeon held the stuffed animal through the window. “I guess this is goodbye, Fany.”

A teardrop escaped just as Taeyeon let the doll fall three stories high. She was sure it landed on the ground until she heard a scream.

“Ouch! Wait, what the heck? Isn't this my Totoro?!”

Taeyeon’s heart shook when she peeked her head out and saw Tiffany below, glaring up at her with her stuffed toy in her hands.

“Yah, Kim Taeyeon! What were you trying to do by throwing away my Totoro?!”

Instead of answering, Taeyeon’s head was gone and all Tiffany could hear was a whole lot of moving even from where she was standing. It sounded almost like someone was trying to run away and was quickly packing up to do so.

As if Tiffany was going to let her. She was in front of the door in minutes, but when she tried to enter the passcode, which was Taeyeon’s birthday, it was wrong.

“You changed the password?” Tiffany punched in her own birthday and the door unlocked itself.

And this was why Tiffany owned a multi-billion dollar company and Taeyeon owned a multi-million dollar one. “Idiot.” She mumbled about her girlfriend as she pushed the door open and caught Taeyeon standing in front of her with a pan in her hand. 

“I don't want to hurt you, so just let me through, Fany.”

Tiffany eyed Taeyeon weirdly, but then something else grabbed her attention. She walked over to the brown boxes in the living room. Her eyes read over the labels on the boxes: Fany’s .

“What is all of this?” Tiffany asked in exasperation.

“Can't you read? It's your , all the crap that belongs to you!”

“Why did you pack all of my things?!”

“Why else?! Because we're broken up and I'm tired of being reminded of you for the past three months!”

“I’ve only been gone for three weeks! And this is the first time I'm hearing that we broke up!”

Taeyeon crossed her arms and scoffed. “You couldn't expect me to wait that long for you.”

Tiffany couldn't help but blink incredulously at her supposedly ex-girlfriend. “Is that why you've been avoiding my texts and phone calls? Because I left you alone for three weeks due to a business trip in New York? You knew I didn't have a choice, Taeyeon.”

“I don't care for your excuses, so please get out of my apartment, Tiffany-ssi.”

“Is that what you want, Taeyeon?” Tiffany mumbled sadly.

Taeyeon bit her lower lip and looked away as she nodded. 

“Okay, then. Goodbye Taeyeon. I'll have someone come for my things later.” Tiffany turned around and walked to the door. “Oh, and here. Happy Valentine's day.” She placed a bag on the kitchen table before completely disappearing behind the door.

Curiosity got the best of Taeyeon as she opened the bag, pulling out a snowglobe that seemed to be handcrafted because the two figurines standing in front of the Empire state building looked like her and Tiffany. Tears welled in her eyes when she ran through the door after snatching a bag hidden in the oven.

“Fany!” Taeyeon barely took a step outside when she saw Tiffany leaning against the wall, whistling and tapping her foot.

“Took you long enough.” Tiffany smirked playfully and pulled Taeyeon by her waist. 

“I’m sorry for overreacting.” Taeyeon looked down at her toes as she clutched the bag in her hands. “I just missed you so much that I might have gone a bit crazy these past few weeks.”

“Still not a good enough apology.” Tiffany sighed, biting back a smile when Taeyeon pouted at her.

“But I baked you cookies.” Taeyeon pulled out a heart-shaped cookie and brought it to Tiffany’s lips in hopes to appease her. After Tiffany gave in and bit into it, she grimaced and scrunched her face.

“You're still really bad at baking, Taeyeon.”

With an embarrassed smile, Taeyeon leaned on her tippy-toes and pecked Tiffany’s lips.

“Happy Valentine's day, Fany. And you better eat every, single cookie.”