1 Chance

Normally Weird

Lights off – that’s what the sharp whistle meant when it resonated from the entrance of the vast oval where our sleeping tents are located. It’s an all-girls territory since the color scheme of our mini rooms are screaming in hot pink.

We were asked to occupy our solo blushing igloos for tonight. It seems like we are really on camping mode. I entered my sanctuary right away to avoid the cold breeze of the night. It was a good thing that thick comforters flood the insides of the tent with huge soft pillows sitting on all corners. I lazily rolled over and slipped under the warm blanket when the proctor’s voice spoke outside my tent.

“Miss 919, can you think of a word to describe your partner?” she asked.

Is this a test? Is this a feedback question? Wait, I will do my best.

Bananas” I murmured as I try to recall our earlier discussion. I tried to think more of what we discussed inside my head when she unexpectedly left my area by saying - “Okay. Got it.

Wait! – No! I am not done yet. Wait!” I tried to open my tent to chase after her but it made me realize that my tent was locked from the outside. WHAT IS THIS?!

I tried to it again slowly and carefully just to verify that it might have just got stuck on its lining but NO. It seems like it was sealed with a lock. I can’t grasp the meaning of this entire trick. What is exactly happening? WHAT THE HELL.

“The words that you gave us will be posted outside the flags of your tents. You are not allowed to scream, speak nor talk until your partner comes and open the locks for you. Remember, you and your partners were considered as a team couple since the moment that you chose to be with them. We hope that the words that you gave us are of huge impact to them so that they will find your tent correctly since we gave them your specific keys.”

“This is a 1 chance drill. The result will determine the sitting arrangement when we go back to the city. You may keep your seats if they get it right but if they won’t – your pairing will be switched inevitably. Have a good night and sweet dreams.”  She ended just like that and the whole place echoed with silence like something irrevocably painful will happen the next day.

I want to cry. I reached inside my bag to get my phone and call him, talk to him perhaps – but I just remembered that I don’t have it with me or even if I have it , I don’t have his number. It made me feel desperate. It made me feel stupid. WHY DID I SAY BANANAS of all the things that he mentioned to me?

I tried several times to put myself to sleep. My mind kept on bugging me. I can’t even stay focused for a second. I started pounding punches on the pathetic lifeless pillows until my muscles hurt. I am so anxious for tomorrow.

What if he doesn’t get it right? I can’t imagine my obvious defeat to this game. He’s like that of a warm ocean – a place where I can fly but can’t breathe. I found a new sense of freedom with him even if I have to seriously deal with my complexities.

The only thing that kept me hopeful all night was the thought of seeing him again tomorrow and catching up with all the things that we need to learn about each other. I guess I shouldn’t have taken things lightly. He is one of a kind and I am confident that no one will ever see things the way that he does. It is my loss.

I reached for the mp3 instead. I need to listen to something before I go crazy with all this regret. However my hand caught something bulky inside my bag’s pocket. It seems like he switched our gadgets while I was sleeping.

75% it’s what the battery says when I the camera. I decided to check the pictures and saw that he took a lot while I was unconscious. All of which were random pictures of me with my eyes tightly closed and him doing lots of different faces beside me. He also took nice pictures of the views that we passed by and I was surprised when I saw that he also took a picture on our stop over – from our seat. He wasn’t sleeping at all. He told me the truth that I thought was lame excuse and made him lie just to make me smile. I am such a horrible person.

Next to the picture was a video that he recorded. He must have been very bored. I played it right away to watch it like an idiot.

to be continued..