24 Hours

Normally Weird

Sitting beside the window made me realize that we already passed a couple of towns already but by judging our route, we are no way nearer to our destination. My eyes started to beg for sleep. This is a common disease of a potato; I am designed to hibernate whenever I am not doing anything.

I allowed a pending yawn to escape voluntarily from my lips since I can’t take it anymore. The hip-hop song automatically stopped and I looked at him with surprise. With his thick brows fused together tightly, he looked seriously on the list of songs on our player. What is it that he is looking for? Why all of a sudden?

His long manly fingers were beautifully unacceptable. I noticed it when I focused on his hand while he was searching for a song to play. A smile fled from his face as soon as he landed to his desired melody. He gladly pressed the play button and a sound of a clarinet lullaby sang sweetly to invade my ear.

Mr. 216’s sensitiveness is outstanding for a man, no – for a stranger whom I first met within just less than 24 hours, he seemed to care too much about our companionship with an unexpected level of importance. I closed my eyes thinking of how to talk to him when we arrive to our camp site. I hope my mind can function well without too much hassle.

His gentle poke on my shoulder woke me up. The afternoon sunset painted the sky with its crimson orange glow. It seems that all we did today was travel. My partner stood from our seat and directed me to follow him. I noticed that we are the only people who are left inside the bus. It looks like he waited for the rest of the people to get off before waking me up, he’s still as he is. I am favoured to have a very thoughtful guy for a partner.

Right after we went off, the participants were separated again per gender so I went towards the group where I belong to and so did he. It hasn’t been a while but it looks like I am starting to get this sickness of missing him.

“We all hope that you enjoyed the trip. We also expected you to have enjoyed speaking to each other during our stop overs. It’s time to say goodbye briefly to your partners because this evening, we will have separate sessions for each parties.” Our peer coach ended her speech and I decided to cut my intention to breathe.

WHAT?! I MISSED A LOT?! OMG WHAT KIND OF SORCERY?!

I ran towards Mr. 216’s side as soon as everybody started to stand by pairs again and cheerfully said goodbye to one another. I am so clueless. I am so lost. I felt like I have wasted a lot of privilege. I’m so frustrated that I can’t even prevent my eyes from tearing up. I feel sorry for my partner. I really do.

“Sorry.” My voice started to crack in the middle of my sincere apology. I feel like chocking in front of him.

“It’s okay. Don’t cry. If you do, I won’t forgive you.” He said with a poker face and casually smiled to pinch my left cheek with a naughty wink.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” I asked immediately to undo my selfish intention to cry.

“Why would I? You were sleeping like a baby. I almost forgot watching the view outside because I have watched you too much.” He wanted to convince me with his lame excuse. It was a lie. He can’t even look at me directly.

“Try again.” I don’t know why I said this but – I finally found my comfort in him.

“HAHA! Okay – Ms. 919 I was, well I was sleeping too.” Now his looking at me directly with a shy defeat from his confession, he looked so funny while trying to control his goofy expression.

It stormed my guts to laugh. I felt like I’ve found my soul mate. I might have caught off guard by his inhuman visuals but his warmth combined with his unpredictable character definitely shook off the awkwardness between the two of us. He is a man of few words but impressively remarkable with his actions.

 “I guess we’re too far behind to catch up. Let’s take turns and tell something random about ourselves.” He suggested and I agreed in a flash. This is the smartest thing that we can do for now. We needed a baseline.

Mr. 216: I love bananas.

Me: I love grapes.

Mr. 216: I’m a good swimmer.

Me: I can’t swim.

Mr. 216: I love to read mangas

Me: I love to read news papers.

Mr. 216: I love dogs.

Me: I love cats.

Mr. 216: I’m good at fishing.

Me: I am good at –

I was meant to say nothing when the sound of a sharp whistle interrupted me. Time is up. We are going to be separated now. I wanted to ask him more questions but I guess I need to reserve all of it when we see each other again.

“See you soon.” He said while waving at me as he walked away from my direction.

Yes. See you real soon. Sigh.

The evening is dragging. I kept on thinking about him while the speaker continually discussed about how not to socially isolate from people with our “single person habit”. I am so curious with a lot of things to ask my partner. It seems like I’ve been inside a cave for too long that now, my first encounter with a stranger sparked something inside me. I am wondering what he is doing while I am helplessly counting every second that we are not together or maybe because he is the only person that I spoke to the whole day.

After having a dinner buffet with the ladies, I discovered that we had a very long trip. It was long enough for them to know their partners deeply. They even reached to the point of telling each other’s real name. I envy them. All I can do for now is keep Mr. 216 running inside my mind so I won’t forget his face.

to be continued..