The night before

Dark nights [HIATUS]

Taecyeon craawled out of bed, lying down on the floor, staring up at the ceiling. The room was dark, filled with the sounds of the slow breathing around him, the faint occasional footsteps of the guards, and ... most tauntingly ...

 

The sounds of the outside world.

The sounds of the night winds, the sound of the lone wolf, the sound of the crickets in the undergrowth, the sounds of the owls.

He needed to be out there.

Somehow.

So, with one thought in mind, he stood up. Checked the room one last time, pressed his ear to the door to make sure that there were no gurads on nearby patrol. Then he slipped over to the window, and lifted the latch. The cold night air swept over the bare skin on his neck and arms, and he released a small, blissful sigh. He breathed in deeply, the fresh air from the outside, not from the indoor pools, the indoor training arenas, the indoor everything.

He had never been outside. The closest thing was being allowed in the open-roofed arena, but the "open roof" was a small skylight in the towering ceiling above his head.

Taecyeon ignored the nagging feeling of doubt and climbed through the open window, hearing it close with a behind him as he jumped nimbly down, the key to the window in his hand. Cautiously, he looked around him. The light of a torch made his heart stop.

Oh god.

He leapt up, grabbing the nearest branch, and swung himself up, crounching in the dense foliage. It wasn't enough, it wouldn't hide him if the torch swung up to him. He would be dead if the guard saw him.

He didn't dare move, if he moved, they would find him.

The footsteps came closer ... closer ... closer ...

Then stopped, right behenath the tree. 

Taecyeon stopped breathing.

[...]

"I knwo you're up there. NO use hiding, I can see you."

A voice. Not the harsh, rough voice of a guard, battle-worn. This was a quieter voice. Softer.

Taeyeon peered down through the branches.

"Uh ... you're not gonna kill me?"

The stanger smiled. He gave a small laugh and a wave. 

"No, I'm not going to kill you."

Taecyeon swung down from the tree. He knew it was a risky move. 

He stopped in front of the boy, muscles tense, ready to spring into actio at any moment.

The stranger was a boy, around his own age. He had a rather cute face, thought Taecyeon. 

Cute? Wait, where did that come from?

"Hi. Nice to meet you, fellow rebel."

He stuck out his hand. Taecyeon gripped it and shook it firmly.

"I'm Taecyeon. Or ... Sol." 

The boy nodded, a small grin spreading over his face. It didn't reach his eyes, though. Eyes that were tired, angry, sad.

"My name is Joong Ki. Identity is Ker."

They stood awkwardly, not knowing what else to say. Finally, Taecyeon shuffled awkwardly and asked, "W-why did you come out?"

The answer was immediate. 

"Because I've been out on duty and I snuck away. Had to get some air. Guard, you know? Even though I might get killed. But I don't care. It's worth it, being out in the open space, under the sky, with no confining walls and low ceiling, not windowless cells, no guns, no bombs, no idiotic rules.

"I came out here for my freedom."

Taecyeon frowned, then bit his lip. "They - they won't miss you?"

"I know they will eventually, but then I always get back before they can notice. Few close calls, though, but I always got away. I just ... needed it. To come out here."

The two men lapsed back into silnece, but this time it was comfortable. Until Joong Ki started, jerking upright. Taecyeon jumped. 

"What the-"

Joong Ki hissed out "Hide!" and dragged him towards the campus. 

Taecyeon stumbled on, painfully aware of the sun lightening up the sky far away. He was running out of time.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

hey there.

new chappie.

im really sorry if it is not what you wanted, but dont worry. I have pretty big plans for this fic.

drama, action, death

you know.

the usual with me.

>.<

sorry, hope u all enjoy!

always welcoming comments. subbers. other silent readers for just reading.

byebye see u next time!

<3