curbside coffee

infinite oneshots and drabbles

 

 

Ari sat outside the cafe, sipping her vanilla cappuccino, staring at the passing cars. Time passed by slowly on days like these; breezy, but warm, and with just the right amount of sunshine. The street was full of students: it was the first day of summer vacation.

She gave a loud sigh, and looked up, surprised, when she heard someone sigh in return. He held a cup of coffee, as well, and sat next to her on the curb. He was well-dressed, she noticed, in a striped cardigan and a white v-neck underneath. He smile kindly at her.

“Tough day?”

The girl pursed her lips and looked into the distance.

“Just lonely.”

She’d often sat outside this store; every day she was free, in fact. No one had ever spoken to her, though. No one spoke to her anywhere else, either.

He looked familiar. She’d definitely seen him here before, with his friends.
Where were they now? She wondered.

“Same here.”
She looked at him and he shrugged.
“My friends all left for Japan earlier today. I’m too poor to afford it.”

There was a pang of guilt. Ari had no friends, but the money to afford nearly anything. He was quite the opposite.

“Say, I’ve seen you here before.” He remarked, looking at her face intently. “Do you have any friends to come here with?”

She thought for a second, and shook her head.

“No.” She replied, simply. “No friends.”

He gave a sad smile, and finished off his coffee.
“Americano.” He showed off his empty cup. “My addiction.”

His eyes drifted towards her cup, and she mumbled that it was a cappuccino.

He got up to throw away his cup, and the girl silently wished he wouldn’t leave. Sure enough, he sat next to her again, and they shared a comfortable silence.

“Sungyeol.” He said, suddenly. “I’m Lee Sungyeol.”

She smiled to herself. It was a cute name.

“Song Ari.” She replied. “I’m a first year student, soon.”
He gave her a surprised look. “Really? I’m a second year in the fall.”

There’s nothing surprising about that, she mused, and continued to sip her cup.

“You take an awfully long time to finish drinking.”

She took another small sip before glancing at him.

“After I’m done this, I won’t have anywhere to go.”

She didn’t miss the pitying look in his eyes.

“There’s more to life than coffee and school.” He grinned. “If it makes you feel better, I’d like to be your friend.”

And with those few words and that stupid grin, Lee Seungyeol and Song Ari became friends.