Chapter 3

A Monkey Love Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae nearly fell off the bed when he found out that the person he’d imagined was sitting there right on top of his pillow, the plush monkey sitting right beside the man. Donghae blinked and rubbed his eyes a couple of times to make sure that it wasn’t his brain that was playing tricks on him, but no, the man still sat there with a bright gummy smile even after a couple of rubs to the eyeballs. Which, Donghae thought, hurt a lot.

“W-who are you?” Donghae stammered, standing up from the bed. “Why do you look so much like my boyf—I mean, my imagination?” He stared at the monkey toy and then back at the person. “Can’t you speak?”

The young man grinned. “I’m Hyukjae. You can call me Hyukkie for short, of course. I’m whatever you want to think I am. Other people can’t see me.”

Donghae blinked in confusion. “Have I gone crazy? I’m hallucinating, aren’t I? You’re crazy. I’m crazy. Omona. WE’RE ALL CRAZY!!”

Hyukjae grabbed Donghae and shushed him. “Shh, you’re not crazy. I’m not here to freak you out. Just talk to me like a friend as always, okay? I’m Hyukkie. Hyukkie. Don’t you recognize me?” The man asked with a cute adorable pout.

Donghae was still pretty sure that he was dreaming and pinched himself on the cheeks a couple of times. “Damn, it hurts. I’m not dreaming?” He quickly opened the door and dragged Hyukjae out of the room. “Kyuhyun!!” Donghae yelled, pulling Hyukjae up to stand next to him. Hyukjae was protesting because of the pain and Donghae just scowled at him. “You said you were invisible to everyone else, right? I’m just gonna make sure. If Kyuhyun can’t see you, then you’re only a figment of my imagination. You’re not real, just my mind playing a cruel joke on me. Which means I’d have gone insane. Hell no, why is this happening to me?” he wailed.

Kyuhyun looked annoyed. “Donghae, will you please stop making a racket and just leave me alone in peace?”

Donghae turned to him in protest. “But an intruder just invaded my room!! And he looked a lot like my boyf—I mean, just look!!”

Kyuhyun sighed and looked up. “What intruder are you talking about? There’s only you and me in the apartment. Nobody else came in through the door. We’re ten floors up. Nobody could have climbed in here. Stop talking nonsense and let me work, please.”

“B-But…” Donghae raised Hyukjae’s hand up and nudged Kyuhyun. “Can’t you see him?”

“See who? I only see you, in your pink and purple boxers… and are those my socks? Seriously, don’t you own anything decent yourself? I want those socks back! They’re my lucky pair.”

Donghae let out a sigh and turned to Hyukjae, who was smiling triumphantly. “Have I gone crazy?”

Hyukjae shook his head. “No. You’re not crazy.”

“They can’t hear you talk either?”

Hyukjae shook his head and chuckled. “Only you can see me or hear me.”

Kyuhyun complained loudly when Donghae’s supposed monologue started getting on his nerves. “Are you done talking to yourself? I need to work.”

Donghae glanced at Kyuhyun then at Hyukjae, looking absolutely lost. Hyukjae gently tugged Donghae’s hand and led the baffled young man back into his room. He nudged Donghae towards the bed and sat him down, while he took out the chair and sat on it. “Hae, are you okay?”

Donghae blinked and shook his head. “I’m not okay. You just… appeared, and I… I’m dreaming. You can’t be real. You’re not real. You’re just a side product of my over imaginative brain. When I wake up, you’ll be gone.”

Hyukjae looked hurt at that remark. “I won’t leave you. We’re boyfriends, remember? Boyfriends stick together no matter what happens.”

“I don’t get it… One minute I was just constructing you in my head and the next moment you’re here, walking around in my room and claiming that nobody else can see or hear you. It just feels so surreal. What happened?” Donghae let out a huge sigh and flopped on his back, rubbing his temples. “This is absolutely crazy.”

“Is it?” Hyukjae asked, walking to the other end of the bed and leaning over Donghae’s head. His soft brown hair shone beautifully under the sunlight, making Donghae question his decision to dye his hair electric blue a few months back. He should have totally gone with dark brown. He unconsciously lifted his hand to Hyukjae’s angular face, surprised at the sudden realization that he can actually touch him. Donghae blinked in confusion. “Is it what?”

Hyukjae chuckled. “Is it really that hard to believe that I’m here?”

Donghae frowned lightly. “I’m not crazy, am I?”

“Nope,” Hyukjae laughed. “A bit of magic happened. I’ll be around as long as you love me.”

“But I just met you,” Donghae pointed out. “You appeared suddenly when I was picturing Hyukkie as a human and… holey fish mama you’re my monkey?”

Hyukjae gently flicked the surprised Donghae’s forehead. “I’m glad you finally got it. I thought you’d never arrive at the conclusion.”

Donghae looked suspiciously at Hyukjae. “Where did I get Hyukkie from and how many years ago?”

“Twelve years ago from a Mokpo funfair when you shot down all ten spaceships with an orange water gun at booth number fifteen,” Hyukjae answered at once without hesitating.

“Daebak!” Donghae yelled in glee then fell into Hyukjae’s arms. “I can’t believe it! You’re alive!” Donghae hugged the petite waist and giggled. “

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter