EPILOGUE

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 26. Epilogue.

>> Yuri.

“Come here, baby.” I picked my daughter up once the doctor finished giving her an injection. Careful not to mess with IV access on her tiny wrist, I gave her a hug. Her cry subsided into a whimper under the oxygen mask. Instead of calming me down, the sad whimper broke my heart even more.

My precious Jihye, who was used to wail her protest and scream her disapproval, now could only whimper as her small fingers clutched at my shirt. Even without words, I knew Jihye was calling for her mommy.

Jessica, could you hear it? Our Jihye demanded to be in your arms. Our Jihye wanted you to relieve her pain.

Jessica. My one and only. Could you hear me? I had made promises to keep you safe, so many times I was sure no more harm could ever come near. But today I failed you once more. A failure forever would haunt me.

Jessica, could you forgive me?

Jihye's whimper got sadder and sadder, as if she read my mind and shared my pain. I hugged her tighter, trying to shush her but got choked by my own tears.Sooyoung, Minho, my parents, Jessica's parents, Krystal, and more were here. Each was indirectly looking at me with concern. Concern couldn't help me though. Not today. Not when my heart had broken into pieces so small it might as well be nothing but bitter dust.

“Da... da...” Jihye called me while trying to pull the oxygen mask away from her face. I looked down, gently prying her little hand and hold it in mine. Never had I seen her looked so forlorn before. The usually bright eyes now looked downy and sad, probably reflecting my sorrow.

I kissed the crown of her head. I kissed her cheek. It was her birthday. The little girl had to cry herself hoarse on her birthday. What kind of father I was to let such thing happen?

“I'm sorry, Jihyennie.” My shoulders shook as I tightened my hold on her. Despite my promise not to show weakness in front of my only child, I cried.

“I'm so sorry.”

>> Krystal

It was supposed to be a happy day.

A day where we gathered to celebrate Jihye. Her health, her mother's well-being, and all the happiness to come upon the little family in the future.

Now, even the weather outside was speaking of sadness. Eerie thunders and heavy rain. Howling wind and falling leaves. Heavy clouds, dark sky, tears in my eyes.

I turned away from the window, sitting beside Sehun who had our son sleeping on his lap.

He said nothing. The man who usually knew how to console me best. The man who could be full of quips from time to time. His hand went to wipe my tears and that was all, no words were shed. We fell into silent so deep I was afraid I would never see any light again.

I looked up, trying to find consolation. But everybody was breaking apart.

My mother was sobbing. My father's face looked like it was made of stone, hard and cold.

I didn't even have the heart to look at my brother-in-law who had my niece in his arms. His parents were sitting not too far from me, both looking like they were ready to crumble on the feet of misfortune their only son had to withstand.

For the happy day to turn into nightmare like this, I had no idea who to blame.

Jihye was whimpering,nearly inaudible if wasn't for the dark veil of silent engulfing us all. The whimper was the kind that would shatter your heart, no matter how strong of a person you are.

It was with a heavy heart I recalled how the little girl had screamed and cried just a few minutes ago. At such a tender age, she already knew something was wrong. She had refused everyone's touch. Everyone but her father. As if her father was the only lifeline she knew.

If only I could hug Jihye and tell her everything will be fine. If only I had the power to turn back time, undo things, or change the future. Something. Anything but sitting here in all my helplessness.

Jinki moved in his sleep. My little boy whom I didn't know how to live without. I caressed his hair and he stirred a little.

“Promise me.” I whispered to my husband, to my sleeping son, to God above. “Promise me we'll stay together forever.”

Tears almost fell from my eyes again but I knew my dear unnie hated seeing me crying. “Promise me, please.”

Sehun nodded, wrapping Jinki and me in a tight hug. I held on to him. I held on to my little family, praying that nothing would set us apart.

>> Sooyoung

The night was cold. I shifted closer to my husband and he, as he always did, wrapped his hand around my shoulder.

“I don't understand.” The words tasted bitter in my mouth. As bitter as the pain of seeing these good people mourning. My eyes caught Yuri who was holding his daughter. His eyes were visibly glassy. His heart was obviously scattered all over the place. “Why them? Why this kind family of all people?”

Minho just sighed, kissing my forehead and hugged me even tighter.

I turned to look around. Jessica's mother was sobbing in her husband's arms. A dark shadow cast upon Krystal face as she whispered something to Sehun who then hugged both his wife and his son like his life was depend on it. Yuri's father had Yuri's mother's hand clutched to his chest. Each of us had someone to hold while storm stirring inside our hearts.

But Jessica? She was alone now and I couldn't even think of her without feeling my heart torn apart.

“I've known them for so long and never once I see them deliberately causing harm to other. Why does it seem that harm always come upon them?” It was a protest I made not to my husband, but to whatever deity up there who control our lives. Seeing Yuri looked so helpless made me want to rewrite destiny.

It couldn't end like this. They had been through so much already. It shouldn't end with such misery.

“Everything happens for a reason.” Minho let out a whisper. His eyes didn't leave his best friend.

“Then tell me one good reason behind this. Tell me why Jihye should suffer like this?”

Minho didn't answer me. His phone vibrated and he took it out from his pocket.

“Yes, baby. The birthday party is canceled. I'm sorry.” His expression soften and I knew he was talking to one of our children. “Yes. I'm in the hospital. Mommy is here too. We'll be home as soon as we can. Stay with grandma and be good, okay? Good We love you.”

“Areum.” He smiled down at me while tucking his phone back.

I smiled a little at the thought of my little girl and her baby brother. The most precious gifts life had gifted me. I suddenly felt like fleeing this sad room and ran to them, hugging them, telling my children that I'd be with them forever.

“Things, good or bad, always happen for a reason, Soo. We might see nothing but dark clouds today but there is always sun shining behind. If we squint harder, if we're patient enough, we'll see brighter day.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter