Yuri : Changes.

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 23. Yuri : Changes.

“Jinyoung didn't look too happy.” Minho throw himself on the chair in front of my desk, loosening his tie while sighing.

“Worry not. He looks like that 99% of the day.” I smiled, taking a file from the stack on the table, read it for a moment, then scribbled my signature on it.

“I still can't believe you did this to me.”

“I didn't. The gentlemen of the board did.”

“You are one of the gentlemen of the board!”

I laughed, giving another file a quick read before signing it.

“I can't believe you just give SK-K up just like that. This company's backbone is the very company your family built with sweat and blood.”

“I'm still in the company, Minho-yah. Our family owned 25% of the share, we still have a say in future policies.”

“But still, no longer a CEO, no longer be able to set the direction of this company. To make it worst, you hand this company to me. Me!” He dramatically ruffled his hair. “I'll sink this ship in no time with or without the great Jinyoung breathing down my neck.”

“Listen.” I dropped one file on the desk, staring into my best friend's eyes. “You doubt my judgment. Fine. I might be inexperienced and stupid enough to choose a goofball like you as my substitute. But my father also has a say in this. He's the one helped me lobbying the other two members of the board. You can't call a man like my father inexperienced.”

Minho sighed, rubbing his face. “So you leave next week?”

“Today.”

“What?”

“I already ask Irene to tidy up. Things that need my approval will be sent home by her. Almost every major decision is finalized anyway, you shall be able to sail smoothly for the next two months or so.”

“Including our plan for bio-fuel installment in Africa?”

“Yep. I already secured all the deal. Your biggest challenge will probably be Jinyoung pushing on the nuclear plan.”

“Yeah, that.” Minho grimaced. “So, stay-at-home father then?”

“Father and husband.”

“I still find it hard to believe that my workaholic friend is letting go all of his education and hard work just like this.”

“You know it's not a spur-in-the-moment decision.” Jessica's smile and Jihye's face came to my mind as I spoke. “You have family too. You know that no money and prestige can replace the people you love.”

“And Jessica still has no idea of this?”

“Yes. When she's fully settled at home, I'll tell her myself.” I took the last document from the desk, reading it thoroughly for it was the formal announcement of my departure from SK-K energy.

“Done.” I put the document on the desk, grinning at my best friend who seemed to be in distress still. He looked funny actually, with the tousled hair, creased forehead and all. I spared him my laugh though. I knew how hard commandeering this company would be.

The first time I had told Minho about my decision some two months ago, I hadn't been sure myself. But somehow,as days came by, I realized that this was the the right thing to do for me, my wife, my daughter, and for the company itself. I couldn't always fairly split my attention between family and work.

“At least say proper goodbye to everybody. Let Irene and I arrange a farewell party.”

“You do that. I'll always be available. Bur for today, let me leave quietly.” I glanced at the Bvlgari timepiece around my wrist. The watch was Jessica's gift some birthdays ago that I treasured so much. “I'm already late for an appointment.”

“Got it. I'm drinking with the boys tonight. Come join us before you are too busy to even drink a bottle of soju.”

“Sure. A night to celebrate CEO Choi. I'll ask James to open the pub free for everyone. Get your platinum card ready.”

Minho pouted. His expression reminded me much of his son Daeul when the boy couldn't have what he wants.

With that, I couldn't hold my laugh anymore.

“Look!”

I smiled, greeting my dear wife with a kiss on her forehead. She was busy wriggling her toes on the bed, grinning like a maniac.

The therapists who was starting to tidy their equipment up smiled at me too. I gave them two thumbs up.

“I can move all my toes!” The excitement in Jessica's voice reminded of one coming from a child. It has been a while since I saw her so happy. My heart nearly exploded at the sight of long-lost sparkles in her eyes.

“They said that it's good sign. The doctors don't lie. I might be able to move both my legs in the end.”

“Of course honey.” I kissed her forehead again, nodding at the therapists who started to leave the room. As Jessica happily moved her toes again, I gave her left leg a gentle massage. Often attending the therapy session with her, I knew how to perform a few stimulation that should be able to help her heal faster.

“Jordan and Kwanghee said that we should be able to try standing next week.” She referred to the therapists.

“Standing?”

“Yes. Putting my left leg on the floor for a few seconds with support.”

“That's great.” I beamed back at Jessica. “How about your left hand?”

“I still can't grip the ball as tight as I want.” She eyed the small ball on the bed. “But it's still better than not being able to feel my fingers at all.”

“Take your time, baby.” I touched her cheek. “Don't tire yourself.”

She smiled, leaning into my touch. Every little progress she made meant a lot these days. Anything that could uplift her mood.

Two months ago, the dinner I had planned carefully had turned into disaster. She had spent nearly two weeks dwelling in depression before I found a way to make her smile again. Since then, me and the rest of our family agreed to thread carefully around her, afraid that she would break apart again.

No one said that trauma recovery would be easy. I hadn't expected it to be this hard either. Everyday was a struggle and it made me even more sure that quitting work was the the best decision to be made.

“I want to go home.” Jessica yawned. I shifted to lie beside her, letting her head rest on my shoulder.

“Be patient,baby.”

“All my outer injuries have healed. I don't need machines to monitor me anymore. I'm ready to go home.”

“Let me talk to the doctors first, okay?”

“Kay.” She yawned again. “But I can't stand another month in this hospital.”

Per Jessica's wish, Jihye had been brought home last month. The main consideration was to give our daughter a better environment to grow. But Jessica's mood had been swinging wildly since then. Probably due to the lack of mood booster coming from our adorable Jihye.

The plan to bring Jessica home had actually been brought up several times before. I even had started to prepare the home with all the facility she would need. But seeing how she whined about it nearly all the times, I seriously thought it was necessary to move faster then the initial plan.

“I'll see what I can do, baby.” I kissed my wife on the forehead, wishing her a tight sleep.

“Only real man has the balls to leave his career for his family.” Gary poured the soju to the glass in my hand. “Kudos to you.”

I gulped in one go. Minho and Seunggi followed with their share of the distilled alcohol. For a while there were only four men, drinking the night away in the private booth. Gary and Seunggi both took turn to praise then tease me about my decision, just like the good friends they were.

“I need to stop.” I leaned back on the velvet couch. “Coming home to a baby here. Need to wake up early and fully sober tomorrow.”

Minho grinned, taking another full glass that Gary handed to him. “Can you belie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter