Yuri : Storm.

OF TEN THOUSAND I LOVE YOUS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 16. Yuri : Storm.

Blinding light and Jessica's grip on my arm served as warning a few seconds too late. My instinct kicked in. I hit the gas pedal desperately while turning the steering wheel hard to the left, seeing that braking wouldn't help much because whatever vehicle that came screeching toward us didn't show any sign of slowing down.

The collision couldn't be avoided though. The massive impact came with a loud bang. My ears rang, my head hurt after a sudden contact with the car window panel. My heart ached even more. Even without seeing I knew Jessica's side of the car got hit the hardest.

I blinked trying, trying to reach for Jessica's hand. I called out for her. The vehicle that rammed my car dragged us forward a few more meters before another impact with something solid. My head got hit again, harder this time, sending pain that crept from my temple to my neck.

I was afraid. Very afraid. Not for myself, but for Jessica and our baby.

Despite my best effort to fight the dizziness, unconsciousness wrapped me like a tight blanket.

“Jessica.” I tried to call once more, hoping that she would answer me.

“Jessica!” I called for her, the one that meant life to me. I felt stabbing pain in my chest as oxygen was wheezed out of my lungs.

“Jessica!” I felt someone holding me down before I could open my eyes. I fought whoever it was, sitting up despite the sudden dizziness.

“Sir, I think you need to stay down.” When I opened my eyes, I could see a stranger in front of me. His hands were on my shoulders.

“Help... my wife...” I turned my head, realizing that I was on the curb of the road. People were flocking around me. “My wife! Help her!”

I stood up despite the pain, limping pass the many strangers to see my car crushed between a truck and a street light pole. The silver BMW was bent out of shape and I could see paramedics just stood around.

“Hey! Where's my wife? Jessica!”

“Sir. You need to stay down. Another ambulance will come for you soon.” A paramedic hurriedly came to my side.

“No.” I coughed, tasting blood in my mouth. “My wife.”

“We're trying to help her, sir. You need-”

“What do you mean trying? Is she still- Oh God.” I nearly fell on my knees. I could see Jessica through the shattered windshield of my car. Her pale bloodied face was the reflection of my deepest fear. Her lifeless body with her neck supported by some kind of brace made me want to  scream my lungs out. She had oxygen mask on but I couldn't even tell if she was breathing.

“Jessica!” I ran forward, almost climbed the hood of the car if wasn't for a few more people stopped me.

“What are you doing?” I punched and kicked, pushing my way through the restrain of many arms. “We need to get her out! Help her! Help my wife!”

“Sir, calm down!” A cop held me back. “That's what we're trying to do. A paramedic has checked your wife a moment ago. Look, my friend is backing the truck at the moment so we can get your wife out of the car safely.”

I saw the truck slowly moved backward, my wrecked car fell to the ground with a clank.

“Jessica!” I hurled myself forward, reaching through the broken window for my wife. “Jessica. Baby. Please, wake up.” I held her hand in mine. It felt cold. I touched her cheek, her forehead, but she didn't even bat her eyelashes.

“Sir, please. Let us help your wife.”

I moved to the side, didn't let go of Jessica's hand as I watched paramedics and cops gathered to assess the situation.

“Just like I said, her foot stuck. ” Someone said.

“The passenger door has caved in so bad.” Another man spoke.

I saw the cops trying to pull the car door open to no avail. At that moment I wished I had the strength to rip the door apart.

“We need to cut the door. Alert the fire station. They must have something we can use.” Someone made a suggestion and I silently thanked whoever it was.

Paramedics talked to each other, examining Jessica while cops made arrangement. I watched closely despite the pounding in my head. They said awful words like bleeding, fracture, puncture, and heartbeat. No one cared to explain what was actually happening to my wife. No one told me if Jessica was okay.

It felt like forever until someone came with a chainsaw. People backed away and I reluctantly let go of my wife's hand when someone asked me to step back.

“Excuse me, Sir.” Someone came to my side and pulled me to a sitting position. “Your wound is bleeding again.” I felt a soft touch of cotton on my temple. “Do you feel any pain?”

“My head. My chest.” I gulped. The chainsaw had been and despite my intention to see the whole process I turned my head away. The device would be operated so close to Jessica's leg. I could imagine the friction sending sparks around and how scared my wife would be if she had been conscious.

“My wife..., will she be okay?”

“Further examination will determine her condition, Sir.” I felt something stung the skin of my temple but too worried to care. “Right now, our main focus is too get her out and stop the bleeding.”

“Bleeding? Our baby-” I couldn't even voice the question that has been nagging me since I regained consciousness.

“The blood probably comes from the open wound on her right leg but we shall find out more at the hospital, Sir. At this moment we need to contact your family.”

“My family?” I d my pockets only to remember that I had put my phone on the middle console of the car. My mind went to my parents and Jessica's parents. This news would tear their hearts apart.

“Yes. Your family or close relatives. We might need blood donor for your wife.”

“My family. I don't think they can take this at the moment.” I gazed away, thinking about my parents who were both old and not actually at the peak of their health. And my in-laws, they were all out of town.

“Can you... Can you contact Doctor Choi Sooyoung instead?” I mentioned the name of the hospital where Sooyoung was working after thinking for a moment. “Or Choi Minho, her husband.”

My head felt like it was hammered from the inside. My hands were trembling as I rubbed my face. “Their numbers. My phone is probably in the car. Can you get it for me.”

“Doctor Choi Sooyoung from Saint Mary's Hospital should be easy to find. I'll contact her immediately.”

“Tell them not to tell our parents. Not now.” I gulped, the chainsaw had stopped whirring. When I looked at the wrecked car again, paramedics were carefully transferring Jessica to a gurney. The lower part of her gown was torn by the paramedic. Blood dripped f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter