interlude.

Secret Love Song
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She bathes in flashing lights and eyes so keen to see if she makes a mistake. She breathes in a specific pattern, inhaling and exhaling slowly to calm the anxiety that was slowly consuming her. She walks the stage methodically, calculating every step as if she was to trip if she didn't.

She had to be perfect. She always has to be.

She had to maintain the cold demeanor she was known for; head held high, blank eyes, lips absent of a smile. She was pulling it off, yes, except for the fact that she was clutching someone's hand so tight she was probably hurting him.

It was sad she had to hold somebody else's hand in times of need. Kim Jongin was a good friend, his hand squeezed hers when it was trembling, but his hold was nothing like her lover's.

The continuous flash of cameras was blinding her, and she was sure that journalists all over Seoul were fussing over SM Entertainment's newest couple. They were practically two-thirds of SM's golden trio, and she could picture out the headlines and the sudden rise of both their groups' albums in the charts. Jongin's hand intertwined with hers was pretty much all over the media, and she hates it.

"I heard that you and EXO's Kai are together! Is this true, Krystal?"

That was her cue. A transition of stoic to flustered. A shy smile. Lie.

"Yes, it is." She willed the corners of her lips to curve upwards, praying that it could fool the eyes who looked at her expectantly. She felt it again, the gentle squeeze of her hands.

It's okay, it's going to be okay, it was as if he was telling her.

"That's great! Since when did you start dating?"

"Around four months ago? We didn't really want to tell everyone, afraid of what people would think." Jongin smiled, saving her from spitting out more lies.

There were more questions, and all she could do was nod as Jongin answered them for her.

She could feel the pain in her chest swelling as Jongin's arm wrapped around her waist. He shouldn't be doing that—it isn't him who should be doing that. She belonged to someone else but she wasn't even in his arms but in another's.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Jongin asked once they settled inside the black van designated to them.

"It wasn't." She faked another smile, hoping he would buy it. He threw an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer but she couldn't resist. She couldn't. If she pushed him away, he might be suspicious.

The rest of the ride was awkward and silent. Jongin kept trying to make small talk but she kept her responses restricted to nods and tight smiles. He eventually gave up, thinking she was only exhausted.

When they reached the SM Building, he left a kiss on her cheeks, rendering her speechless.

"Annyeong, Krystal. See you around." He winked before he proceeded to the building.

She touched the corner of her lips where his lips have previously been before wiping it furiously with the back of her hand.

She only saw him as a friend; an acquaintance at most. He was somebody she has to work with for 365 days until they were both free.

He looked at her differently. It was no secret that Jongin took interest in her before. He probably liked her, and it wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter