Extra Tip

Extra Tip

Sighing, Jessica looked up from the work she was doing. Her hunger was finally starting to keep her from concentrating. Taking a glance at the clock, she let out another sigh of frustration. It’s been nearly 30 minutes since she ordered her dinner, yet the usual delivery boy still hasn’t arrived. At least she’ll get her dinner for free if he decides to show up later than 5 more minutes.

*DING DONG*

“Finally!” she breathed out, impatience spiking her voice.

She walked to the door intending to berate the delivery boy about his lateness, but all sense of frustration disappeared when she saw the person behind the door.

“Hi! Jessica Jung? Here’s your order,” a small, petite girl brightly said to her.

Rather than taking the small box the girl was handing her, Jessica found herself staring at the other’s face, feeling rather captivated.

“Miss?”

“What? Oh yeah..” said a flustered Jessica, taking the box from the smaller girl. Her eyes went back to looking at this new delivery girl’s face. With her fair skin, small body, brunette hair pulled back into a ponytail under a maroon cap with the restaurant’s logo, and with a bright grin showing dimples, Jessica nearly breathed her thoughts out loud.

So cute...

“I’m really sorry I am rather late. It’s my first day and I’m not too familiar with this area...” the delivery girl said rather apprehensively. Perhaps she’s afraid that this Jessica Jung is angry at her, given how she’s not saying much.

Jessica suddenly felt guilty for feeling frustrated at whoever was delivering her pizza late earlier. “Oh it’s not a problem.” She glanced at the nametag upon the girl’s uniform. Taeyeon. At least she gets to know her name.

Finally giving a smile at the girl in front of her, she asked “How much?”

“It’s all 9500 won”

Jessica took out a 10000 won bill from her wallet and handed it to Taeyeon. Instead of waiting for her change, she took out another 5000 won bill and handed it her as well.

“Plus your tip.”

Taeyeon looked a bit bewildered. “Thank you so much! I dont know if I deserved this given how late I was.”

Smiling, Jessica shook her head. “No you’re doing real fine. Dont worry about it”

Taeyeon gave a bright smile and Jessica felt weak in the knees for a bit. “Thank you again. Well I should get going. Enjoy your pizza Miss. Have a good evening.”

She gave a small bow and another smile before walking down the hall of Jessica’s apartment. Still feeling a bit stunned, Jessica closed her door thinking that she’s going to be eating pizza a bit more often than usual now.

For the next two weeks Jessica would order pizza nearly every other day, always waiting for her doorbell to ring with eager anticipation and feeling elation when she finally gets to see the goofy grinned delivery girl. After a few deliveries, Jessica was able to gather her senses to strike small conversation with Taeyeon as she paid, mostly asking how her day was and other little things that come to mind. She was happy that Taeyeon would always comply with her small talks and would give her a bright smile before leaving. Jessica also never forgets to give an extra tip to the girl (who would return to her a bewildered expression and lots of bows everytime). She doesnt know why she does it, but the priceless elation she felt after every meeting with Taeyeon and seeing her smile of appreciation must explain it somewhat.

On the third week Jessica went up to answer her door with a smile plastered on her face. She opened the door, ready to greet the girl who has pretty much stayed on her mind the past fortnight.

“Hey there-“ she stopped abruptly.

“Delivery for Jessica Jung.” A rather gruff voice said.

It was her old delivery boy.

Feeling disappointed, Jessica paid for the exact price of her pizza and the tip-less delivery boy left grumbling.

“It must not be her shift tonight,” she thought fully intent on ordering again the next evening.

But Taeyeon wasn’t there to hand her pizza the next evening nor the evening after that causing Jessica to wonder where the girl could be. She wouldn’t do something to get fired after only two weeks right?

At the end of the week Jessica was walking home from her campus late after finishing a group project. Her group mates were complaining about her lack of enthusiasm and she had to admit her mood was taking a dive after not seeing the girl she feels she’s falling for during the past several days. Jessica looked up from her walking to see her usual pizza restaurant up ahead and decided to stop by. Maybe Taeyeon was moved to cashier duty or something.

She was about to enter the restaurant when a voice called out to her.

“Miss Jessica?”

Her heart gave an excited beat and she looked towards the source of the voice fervently hoping she was hearing right. Her eyes fell on the girl she’s been missing for days and felt joy course through her body.

“It is you,” Taeyeon said as she hopped of the restaurant’s scooter that she uses to deliver pizza, giving Jessica a smile. “Are you about to order?”

Well she was just going by to check if Taeyeon would be there but she can’t let the girl know that...yet.

“Ah yeah I was actually.”

Taeyeon let out a chuckle. “Well you could have ordered by phone and I could have brought it for you.”

“Well I was still on my way home from campus...and I thought you weren’t delivering anymore since someone else has been delivering for me these past few days.”

“Oh that,” Taeyeon said sheepishly while rubbing the back of her head. “I was ill for the past week so I couldn’t report to work.”

“You should take care of your health more” Jessica blurted out.

Taeyeon smiled.

“Well I guess some things can’t be helped. Thanks for the concern though, Miss.”

“Please dont call me Miss. Just Jessica. I thought, uh, we are past the formality stage?”

“Oh, uh, alright” a surprised Taeyeon said before giving a grin. “You can call me Taeyeon.”

“Taeyeon..” Jessica said, loving how that name comes off her tounge.

They went into a rather awkward silence before Taeyeon cleared .

“Ehrm, weren’t you going to order?”

“Oh yeah, I completely forgot.”

They went into the restaurant and Jessica placed her order. Taeyeon surprised her by sitting down to wait for her order together.

“So...how did you get to start working here?” Jessica brought up.

“Well I’m a college student just like you. I grew up in the countryside and the city is a lot more expensive than I thought it would be so I needed something to back me up financially. So now here I am.”

Jessica wouldn’t know what it feels like to work. She’s brought up from a wealthy family who still supports her financially and can’t help but feel more admiration towards the girl sitting besides her.

“Well you’re doing a real good job. If I were to deliver pizzas I dont think I can do it as well as you.”

Taeyeon turned towards Jessica, giving her goofy grin. “I dont take as long to deliver as I did the first time anymore right?”

Jessica laughed. “Yeah you’re like an express delivery now. But seriously that first time I was on the verge of dying from starvation you know!”

“Oh come on I didnt take that long! Besides, being pizza deprived would totally be a weird cause of death.”

They laughed and Taeyeon playfully smacked Jessica’s shoulder. It’s amazing how they’re getting along naturally after being on first name terms. They continued with their conversation and joking around until Jessica’s order was ready and Taeyeon had to get back to work.

“Well I guess I’ll see you again?” Jessica said to Taeyeon hopefully.

“Hey if you miss me I’m just a pizza delivery away,” Taeyeon replied with a smile on her face.

“Haha yeah I guess. Well I’ll see you around Tae!”

“Bye Sica!”

The next week would go on as normal. Jessica would order pizza whenever she can, and when Taeyeon arrived they would talk and joke off for a while. Jessica loved the fact that she’s now closer to Taeyeon than what she thought possible so after delivery one night, she gathered her courage to ask the girl out.

“Hey Tae.”

“Yeah?” Taeyeon who was walking down the hall looked back.

“Wanna, uh, do you want to hang out this weekend?”

Like a flick of a switch, Taeyeon’s face immediately brightened.

“Yeah lets do that! Where are we going?”

“How about we go to the amusement park?” Jessica was glad Taeyeon looked very enthustiatic, the wide grin the delivery girl has on her face makes her look about 10 years old. Jessica cant help but smile widely in return.

“Sounds great! I can’t wait!”

“Alright it’s a deal. See you this weekend Tae!”

When the weekends came Jessica found herself sitting beside Taeyeon on the bus on their way to the amusement park.

“You know it’s a bit weird looking at you without your usual uniform,” Jessica said, looking over at the girl beside her in a baby blue blouse and white shorts.

“Hey its not as if I live in the pizza restaurant you know.”

“Haha I know it’s just that until now I’ve only ever seen you in your uniform.”

“Well judging on how you keep giving me extremely generous tips I might save enough money to get out of that uniform for good soon.” Taeyeon joked.

Well that doesn’t sit well with Jessica. She loves her frequent deliveries so that she can see her special delivery girl. “Then maybe I shouldn’t give you tips anymore then so you can keep working.”

“What you want me to deliver pizzas forever?”

“Ah no that’s not what I meant.” Jessica blushed. “Its just that if you dont work anymore then we might not see each other as often anymore.”

“Well even if I dont work there we can still always meet up. We’re friends right?” Taeyeon said, turning towards Jessica while giving a bright smile.

Jessica suddenly found it hard to form coherent words. “Y-yeah of course we are.”

Taeyeon laughed and turned back towards the front.

“You should try delivering pizzas too. You get to see so many weird things just by standing in some stranger’s doorway.”

A thought suddenly occured to Jessica. “You must have seen a lot of good looking people too. One who maybe caught your eye or something...”

Taeyeon thought about it for a bit before answering. “Yeah I guess so. There’s this one girl who orders quite often and she has this smile I think is quite charming.”

Jessica held her breath. A girl who orders frequently? Could it be her?

“I think her name is Tiffany Hwang if I’m not mistaken.” Taeyeon continued.

Jessica felt herself deflate. “Oh.”

“Yeah she has this smile where her eyes turn to cute crescent moons. Its quite charming.”

A wave jealousy struck Jessica and she scowled inwardly.

Tiffany Hwang? She thought. Sounds like a name for an annoying loud girl with an unhealthy obsession for the color pink.

She gave herself a mental well-done for the insult.

“So do you like her Tae?” Jessica pressed on.

Taeyeon gave a small chuckle. “No Sica I just think its a charming smile is all.” And Jessica felt a bit more happier upon hearing that.

They continued with light conversation until they reached the amusement park. As they entered the park Taeyeon’s kiddy nature took over and she started to jump around excitedly.

“Sica sica look, bumper cars! Let’s try them! Oh and look over there! I bet I can beat you in shooting down the targets with that BB gun!”

Jessica laughed. All of a sudden it felt like she was chaperoning an elementary school kid. She doesn’t mind though. Seeing Taeyeon so excited and happy fills her own heart with content.

“Calm down a bit Tae! We have the whole afternoon to spend here.”

Suddenly Jessica felt herself freeze as Taeyeon reached out with her small hand and grabbed onto her own.

“That’s not long enough Sica! Let’s go!”

And with that Taeyeon proceeds with dragging Jessica to the nearest attraction. For several moments Jessica couldn’t take her eyes off her own hand intertwined with Taeyeon’s. She then recovered enough of her senses to run along beside the brunette, exhilaration flowing through her body.

The afternoon went on with Jessica feeling the happiest she has been for a long time. She can’t remember the last time she laughed this much, or having a smile that never left her face throughout the course of the afternoon. It’s all thanks to the brunette girl who repeatedly crashed into her during bumper cars, who screamed and grabbed onto her as the roller coaster took crazy dips and turns, who would always give a hearty laugh whenever one of them cracked a joke.

The late afternoon found Jessica and Taeyeon with their hands full of souveniers and wearing headbands with animal ears on them.

“Finally these babies are mine!” Taeyeon exclaimed, holding up her recently won souvenier.

“Seriously Tae I can’t believe it took you 10 times in that shooting game just to win some stuffed peas.”

“Hey I swear that rifle’s barrel is crooked or something.”

“Or you just at shooting...”

“No I’m not! Besides it was all worth it cause I got these.” Taeyeon said, cuddling her stuffed peas and Jessica gave an inward squeal at the cute sight.

“Taeyeon seriously you are like a kid sometimes.”

“Yah I’m not a kid!” Taeyeon pouted while softly smacking Jessica on the head, before they both laughed it off.

For Jessica the day had been perfect. She got to spend the whole afternoon with the company of a girl who has become a big part of her life in such a short time. Even though she and Taeyeon has only known each other for around a month or so, given how comfortable they were with being with each other, it’s like they’ve known each other all their life. She glanced again at the girl besides her who was still cuddling her stuffed peas and felt her fondness for the girl grow even stronger.

“Ah the sun is gonna set soon.” Taeyeon noted, looking at the sky that was now full of orange hues.

Jessica looked up at the sky and felt a bit of unwillingness for the day to end. “Yeah it is I guess.”

“Hey Sica look!” Taeyeon suddenly said, pointing to an attraction in front of them. “How about we watch the sunset from there?”

Jessica looked at the ferris wheel that Taeyeon was pointing at, “Alright!”

They got in line before getting into their capsule, setting down their bags of souveniers on the floor at their feet.

“Ahhh,” Taeyeon gave a content sigh, leaning back into her seat as their capsule started its slow ascent.

Jessica was also momentarily silent as she looked out at the ground getting further and further away, the skyline of Seoul getting more and more apparent.

“I really had fun today Sica,” Taeyeon suddenly said.

Jessica turned her head towards the girl sitting beside her, finding Taeyeon looking at her with a big smile on her face. The close proximity between them making her heart beat a bit faster.

“Y-yeah, me too,” she stammered, hoping the heat on her face doesn’t mean that her face is as red as it felt at the moment.

“Let’s hang out more often from now on!”

Jessica had to stop herself from whooping with joy. “Yeah, we should!”

Taeyeon gave her a small smile before looking around at the scenery outside.

“It’s really beautiful isn’t it?” she said, nodding towards the general direction of the sun that was nestling itself behind some large buildings.

“Yes, it is,” Jessica said. But she doesn’t mean the view. She was looking at Taeyeon, with the setting sun as the background and the soft orange glow of sunset cascading upon the fair skinned girl, Jessica felt she has never seen anything as breathtaking as the sight in front of her. “Beautiful like you.”

The words left before she realized it, and Jessica wondered if she just made a big mistake as Taeyeon slowly turned to look at her, surprise etched upon her face. Jessica held her breath as she waited for Taeyeon to speak.

The delivery girl broke into a small laugh before giving a smile.

“Thanks Sica, I think you look really beautiful too,” she said, smiling again at the frozen girl besides her.

The reply made Jessica’s heart skip a beat, and before she knows it, unfound courage suddenly gathered to form her next words.

“I really like you Taeyeon.”

Time seemingly stood still as silence befell upon them. Taeyeon didn’t say anything and her face remained blank.

It was as if someone flicked a switch and Jessica fully realized what she just said.

“I-I’m sorry!" she stammered, face positively red now. “I dont know what came over me. It was just-I was just—“

“Sica,” Taeyeon suddenly said to the girl who was now thinking about jumping out of the capsule onto the ground below. “What if I say....I really like you too?”

Jessica was sure now that her heart has stopped beating as she gazed at Taeyeon’s smile, happiness apparent on her face.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jessica heard her doorbell ring and rushed to open the door.

“Delivery for Jessica Jung!” said a familiar voice.

“Thanks!” Jessica said taking the box from the smaller girl in front of her. “How much?”

“The usual 9500 won,” Taeyeon said, giving Jessica a bright smile.

Jessica took out 9500 won from her wallet and handed it to Taeyeon. “Here you go.”

“Aren’t you forgetting something?” Taeyeon said as Jessica placed the pizza box on the counter next to the door.

“Oh? What did I forget?”

“My tip...” said the delivery girl giving a small pout.

“Ah, how could I forget?”

Laughing, Jessica pulled her girlfriend into the doorway and pressed her against the wall before giving her a soft kiss, putting in all the affection and love she felt for the girl.

“I really like this new tip you give,” Taeyeon giggled as they broke off their kiss.

Jessica smiled, feeling more in love than ever with the girl. “I’ll give you more of those when you get back from work.”

Taeyeon winked at her. “I’ll be looking forward to it.”

-END-